PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle calls Mavs "soft," Jason Terry gets pissed

Budkin
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
A bit of drama in the Mavs locker room:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6200741

NEW ORLEANS -- Frustrated after watching his team bungle a 10-point bulge heading into the fourth quarter and then spit up a seven-point lead with 1:13 to go courtesy of multiple errors, Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle pulled no punches, and perhaps even dropped one on his club below the belt.

"Soft," Carlisle said of his team after a disappointing 93-92 loss to a slumping New Orleans Hornets team that kept pushing even without its concussed floor leader Chris Paul.

"Yeah," the coach reiterated, "soft."

That description touched a nerve in an otherwise quiet Mavs locker room, which was likely Carlisle's intent after a second loss in three games in which Dallas blew double-digit second-half leads in both.

The Mavericks have a half-game lead on the Los Angeles Lakers for the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference heading into Thursday's home game against the New York Knicks.

"I wouldn't go that far," said center Tyson Chandler, who returned from a sprained right ankle and recorded his 17th double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds. His only blemish was clanking two free throws with 17.7 seconds left that kept the Mavs' margin at two, 92-90.

"Who said that?" Jason Terry said, scoffing at the accusation after he had an off night -- rare for him of late -- with 10 points. "I'm not soft, not me. I don't know where that comes from, but we ain't soft. We have to see how he meant soft in that aspect, but I know he wasn't talking to me personally or any of my teammates because I don't think none of these guys are soft."

What chafed Carlisle was a rebounding total that had the Mavs on the wrong end, 44-31, and a devastating 24-11 in the second half that included no offensive boards, meaning no second possessions, not a single tip-in or tip-out. While Chandler secured 13 boards, the other nine that played totaled 18.

"I think we've just got to be tougher," Carlisle said quietly. "Got to be tougher." Carlisle didn't think his team played tough enough in a third highly physical matchup with the Hornets every time it extended the lead -- to 70-60 after three quarters, to 76-65 with 8:22 to play, to 82-73 with 4:35 to go, to 89-81 with 2:26 left and finally to 92-85 with 1:13 to go.

"When you have a seven-point lead with 1:13 to go, you've got to finish it off by making the plays," Carlisle said. "Credit them for making plays, and we did not."

Chandler missed two free throws in the final minute to set up Jarrett Jack's final three free throws, thanks to an uncharacteristic foul by Jason Kidd behind the arc with 8.4 seconds to play.

Terry took exception to the foul call on Jack, who started in place of Paul and finished with 21 points, seven assists and six rebounds.

"I don't know if Jarrett Jack gets that call," Terry said. "We know Kevin Durant does. You know Kobe may get it. But I don't know about Jarrett Jack. That's just my personal opinion. So we've got to live with it, take it on the chin and go ahead and get ready to get this next one."

Kidd, who struggled for three points on 0-of-7 shooting with seven assists, wasn't as dismayed by the call as Terry.

"I felt that he was going to shoot the 3 ... He did a good job of drawing the foul," Kidd said. "As a defender you don't think you fouled, but they called it and it was a smart foul on his part."

http://i51.tinypic.com/2iadcnk.gif

clambake
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
they are soft.

Leetonidas
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
lol JET butthurt

mavsfan1000
03-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Fire Carlisle

stretch
03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm interested to see how the players respond to this on the court. This is something I was hoping to finally see from Carlisle. Sometimes you gotta take a risk and call your team out publicly.

Gonna be at the game tonight. Hopefully they don't let me down and lose, and waste my money and time.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Should be a great game...Melo is a Mav killer though

Tinystarz
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm interested to see how the players respond to this on the court. This is something I was hoping to finally see from Carlisle. Sometimes you gotta take a risk and call your team out publicly.

Gonna be at the game tonight. Hopefully they don't let me down and lose, and waste my money and time.

or season.

stretch
03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Should be a great game...Melo is a Mav killer though

and Dirk is an Amare/Knicks killer. I see the Mavs coming out with some fire in their belly tonight.

or season.

huh?

hater
03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Carlile would wipe the floor with turtle.

Shit Barea or any regular poster here would wipe the floor with turtlehead

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
and Dirk is an Amare/Knicks killer. I see the Mavs coming out with some fire in their belly tonight.

Both teams on a B2B--last second finishes, to boot. Dallas needs to win this game in the fourth (instead of blowing their wad the first 3 quarters), where they've been shaky lately. No Billups to lead them in to hostile territory so i expect the Mavs to come out on top.

hater
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM

is that why Amare averages 30pts a game vs. the mavs the last few games?

anyway, my mavs better win this shit :pctoss

ManuBalboa
03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Soft!? How many dudes I gotta punch in the balls???

oh crap
03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
carlisle with the goods

cheguevara
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Who said that?
http://weinterrupt.com/wp-content/uploads/carlton-banks.jpg

Warlord23
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
We have to see how he meant soft in that aspect, but I know he wasn't talking to me personally or any of my teammates..

In what other aspect could Carlisle possibly have meant the word "soft"?:rolleyes And how does he mean that Carlisle wasn't talking to him or his teammates - who else could he possibly have been talking about?

Every time Terry opens his mouth, you realize that he's a bit stupider than you thought

DJB
03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2iadcnk.gif God, that gif never gets old. Look at how retarded he looks.

The 4cc Dictionary
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
The plane ride from New Orleans to Dallas was so quiet you could hear a SEASON drop i said!

stretch
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Both teams on a B2B--last second finishes, to boot. Dallas needs to win this game in the fourth (instead of blowing their wad the first 3 quarters), where they've been shaky lately. No Billups to lead them in to hostile territory so i expect the Mavs to come out on top.

agreed

is that why Amare averages 30pts a game vs. the mavs the last few games?

anyway, my mavs better win this shit :pctoss

what does that have to do with Dirk always scoring at will against Amare and the Knicks in general?

I have a feeling for some reason that we are going to see some extended minutes for Roddy tonight, and hes going to have a 20+ point game.

Agloco
03-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Dumb statement really (by Carslile that is).

His team is 19-3 in their last 22 with those three losses coming by a combined....wait for it.......3 points.

If he's going to call them out, he should wait until they've almost choked another first round series away.

stretch
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Dumb statement really.

His team is 19-3 in their last 22 with those three losses coming by a combined....wait for it.......3 points.

If he's going to call them out, he should wait until they've almost choked another first round series away.

yeah, they have won a lot of games, but a lot of them have been too close. they have gotten pretty fortunate in several of them. they need to start playing with some more fire and passion, especially with the playoffs coming up. they need to develop some cohesion with all the injuries and signings that has come up and thrown the rotations off.

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Brewer a DNP
Roddy only 13 minutes
Cardinal getting 21 minutes

The Mavs might be soft, but Carlisle is retarded, which is way worse.

Killakobe81
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Brewer a DNP
Roddy only 13 minutes
Cardinal getting 21 minutes

The Mavs might be soft, but Carlisle is retarded, which is way worse.

MONo, who is that Color Me Bad? I know it's a cheesy late 80's or early 90's group but I cant place 'em ...

IF I ever had publicity photos like that I think I would off myself ... LOL

Fpoonsie
03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
MONo, who is that Color Me Bad? I know it's a cheesy late 80's or early 90's group but I cant place 'em ...

IF I ever had publicity photos like that I think I would off myself ... LOL

You don't remember this ditty?

WLIeUTHNyBM

Killakobe81
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
As for Mavs Im sure he meant more mental than physical though Im sure a little more physical wouldn't hurt.

David West attempts to punk Dirk EVERYTIME ... Maybe deshawn or somebody might try a hard retaliation foul. I know that happened late and you dont want to give away free points in a close game ...but did you SEE how that changed the momentum? Somebody needs to perform a flagrant 1 on West or he will keep punking dirk ...IMHO

Killakobe81
03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
You don't remember this ditty?

WLIeUTHNyBM

LOL it is them ...the classic "I wanna sex you up" ... ROFL ...man dem cats make the Mavs look like thugs ...Rick C shouldnt throw soft around like that ... CMB = soft ...

Was their name meant to be ironic or sarcastic ...what is Bad about those flamers?

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
As for Mavs Im sure he meant more mental than physical though Im sure a little more physical wouldn't hurt.

David West attempts to punk EVERYTIME ... Maybe deshawn or somebody might try a hard retalation foul. I know thayt happened late and you dont want to give away free point sin a close game ...but did you SEE how that changed the momentum? Somebody need to perform a flagrant 1 on West or he will keep punking dirk ...IMHO

I don't fuckin like how David West is allowed to do that. Maybe if Chandler doesn't want to mess with a former teammate, I understand that.

I am strongly of the opinion that the Mavericks need to plan for DeShawn Stevenson to be suspended for the first round of the playoffs, because in the 1st round, his sole objective should be to go beat the hell out of the first guy who flagrants Dirk. Whether it's faggot ass David West or faggot ass Kenyon Martin, DeShawn just needs to be on notice that the second they lay a finger on Dirk, it's go time.

The good thing is that both West and KMart are such fake tough pussies that they won't even fight back. But a tone needs to be sent from Game 1 on, that if you fuck with Dirk you're gettin swung on.

Killakobe81
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't fuckin like how David West is allowed to do that. Maybe if Chandler doesn't want to mess with a former teammate, I understand that.

I am strongly of the opinion that the Mavericks need to plan for DeShawn Stevenson to be suspended for the first round of the playoffs, because in the 1st round, his sole objective should be to go beat the hell out of the first guy who flagrants Dirk. Whether it's faggot ass David West or faggot ass Kenyon Martin, DeShawn just needs to be on notice that the second they lay a finger on Dirk, it's go time.

The good thing is that both West and KMart are such fake tough pussies that they won't even fight back. But a tone needs to be sent from Game 1 on, that if you fuck with Dirk you're gettin swung on.

amen. mono gets it. But like you said the response has to be swift. like within the next 2 or 3 possesions so the message is clear. Mavs are deep enough where Manhimi, Brewer Stevenson any one of them could deliver the foul and the Mavs would be fine. But you are right Kmart does the same shit ... and yes we can argue maybe dirk should defend himself and I agree ...in the regular season, he should. But in the playoffs he is too valuable and Stevenson seems like someone who can "bring it" ...so I agree turn him loose. Doesnt have to be a punch just a hard foul or hip check ...heck even the deek Fisher illegal screen on Scola type play would suffice. Some fans will tell you that shit is NOT classy ... but look what Horry's shot did for the spurs vs. the Suns.

Fpoonsie
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Not a terrible idea. Hell, if Brewer's gonna continue to ride the pine for the time being, just have him do it. DAL needs DeShawn's offense as it is. And he can step in to play the D you might need against...Affalo? Or Marco? [shrug] Damn. Who WOULD he or Brewer guard on DEN or NO?

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
amen. mono gets it. But like you said the response has to be swift. like within the next 2 or 3 possesions so the message is clear. Mavs are deep enough where Manhimi, Brewer Stevenson any one of them could deliver the foul and the Mavs would be fine. But you are right Kmart does the same shit ... and yes we can argue maybe dirk should defend himself and I agree ...in the regular season, he should. But in the playoffs he is too valuable and Stevenson seems like someone who can "bring it" ...so I agree turn him loose. Doesnt have to be a punch just a hard foul or hip check ...heck even the deek Fisher illegal screen on Scola type play would suffice. Some fans will tell you that shit is NOT classy ... but look what Horry's shot did for the spurs vs. the Suns.

True, a hard foul works. But for me, it's a long time comin for a faggot like David West or KMart. If it's one of those two, I want Stevenson throwing fists at those bitches.

Fpoonsie
03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
but look what horry's shot did for the spurs vs. The suns.

G(rp)OAT

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Not a terrible idea. Hell, if Brewer's gonna continue to ride the pine for the time being, just have him do it. DAL needs DeShawn's offense as it is. And he can step in to play the D you might need against...Affalo? Or Marco? [shrug] Damn. Who WOULD he or Brewer guard on DEN or NO?

Yeah the problem with Brewer is that he's so damn skinny I doubt he could send a real message. I choose Stevenson because (1) he's pretty strong as it is, and (2) he is ghetto as hell. Seeing Abe Lincoln Neck in your face ready to scrap would be enough to make Kenyon Martin piss his pants on the court.

Fpoonsie
03-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...maybe JR if he gets hot. Possibly Paul if he finally decides to show up, I guess.

Fpoonsie
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah the problem with Brewer is that he's so damn skinny I doubt he could send a real message. I choose Stevenson because (1) he's pretty strong as it is, and (2) he is ghetto as hell. Seeing Abe Lincoln Neck in your face ready to scrap would be enough to make Kenyon Martin piss his pants on the court.

I guess that makes sense. And the more I think about it, DAL is mos def deep enough to sacrifice any of those players mentioned and still get through the 1st round with relative ease.

The intimidation factor is def there. Who knew Lincoln's face could be so goddamn scary to an opposing black man?

sribb43
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Players will just tune out RC like they did Avery and the mavs will get bounced quietly in the 1st round

Mavs are soft, their pussy's have been hurting since June 2006

mavsfan1000
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Players will just tune out RC like they did Avery and the mavs will get bounced quietly in the 1st round

Mavs are soft, their pussy's have been hurting since June 2006
Agreed. That's why you don't insult your team. It might be that time of the month for them.

Pelicans78
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
West was an amateur boxer. Also, Dirk needs to stand up for himself. Get in your opponents face, do a hard foul. He's a PF.

Pelicans78
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
RC was pissed at the rebounding. That's why he made the soft comment. Should have used "more physical" than soft. Poor choice of words.

mavsfan1000
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
West was an amateur boxer. Also, Dirk needs to stand up for himself. Get in your opponents face, do a hard foul. He's a PF.
Yep you don't mess with West. Just let it go.

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
West was an amateur boxer.

whatever. I guarantee you Deshawn Stevenson will air that little bitch out.

sribb43
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
this team is soft offensively, defensively, rebounding and mental midgets. Not a good combination if your trying to win a championship

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep you don't mess with West. Just let it go.

Really? David West? The guy acts like a faggot out there. The real tough guys don't have to be demonstrative about how tough they think they are. David West is a fake tough little bitch, just like KMart.

Axe Murderer
03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
rofl why do people act like ppl are "tough" just because they start shit on a basketball court.

Everyone knows the refs/other teammates will break up the situation within 5 seconds. There's no real danger out there. Sure West could kick Dirk's ass, that's not saying much. But with 3 refs there, your teammates to back you up, and stiff penalties that are enforced for such behavior, nobody's actually intimidated out there.

stretch
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Lol actually one of my friends is a valet at Ocean Prime, a restaraunt that guys like Butler, Stevenson, and such go to on a regular basis after games here. He says that actually Stevenson is one of the nicest people he deals with there, and is probably the most generous tipper. Also, his girlfriend or wife or whoever she is, is just like him, in that she looks ghetto as hell and has a shitload of tattoos, but that shes really cool too.

stretch
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
this team is soft offensively, defensively, rebounding and mental midgets. Not a good combination if your trying to win a championship

0-82

Cuckolded Sissy
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Really? David West? The guy acts like a faggot out there. The real tough guys don't have to be demonstrative about how tough they think they are. David West is a fake tough little bitch, just like KMart.

vCzkQ--zK6c

mad boxing skills

CubanMustGo
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
More from big D:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4675199/soft-mavs-add-ammo-for-doubters

'Soft' Mavs add ammo for doubters

By Tim MacMahon

The Mavericks are making it hard to believe in them.

There’s plenty of pent-up pessimism around these parts, which tends to happen when a perennial 50-plus-win team fails to get out of the first round of the playoffs in three of the previous four seasons. An 18-1 stretch raises hope, but it also reminds folks of the 13-game winning streak the one-and-done Mavs had after the All-Star break last season.

Owner Mark Cuban usually ranks among the most optimistic MFFLs, but he pointed out Sunday evening that the Mavs had racked up wins against a soft stretch of schedule.

“Coming up this stretch starting tonight, we’ll get a better picture of who we are,” Cuban said.

Man, Cuban better hope he was wrong, because the picture we’re getting is awfully grim.

After making that comment, he watched the Mavs lose to the Memphis Grizzlies (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/mem/memphis-grizzlies). They followed that up with an ugly win over the terrible Timberwolves, the West’s worst team, and a horrendous choke job against a struggling Hornets squad playing without Chris Paul (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul).

The Mavs have talked a ton about playing better defense and putting teams away. It’s lip service at this point. They managed to blow a 17-point halftime lead against Memphis by giving up 41 points in the third quarter. Forty-frickin’-one points!!! They blew a double-figure lead against the Hornets, who lit it up for 33 points in the fourth quarter despite their star sporting the questionable plaid shirt/sportcoat combo on the bench. They gagged away a seven-point lead in the final 73 seconds, folding after David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west) basically decked Dirk Nowitzki (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/609/dirk-nowitzki).

The Mavs didn’t show any fire until informed by the media that their coach had called them “soft.” At least there weren't any tears shed in the locker room.

Well, how about proving Rick Carlisle wrong on the court instead of complaining about his comments? The Mavs have a great chance to do that with home games against the New York Knicks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks) and Los Angeles Lakers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers) the next few nights.

Even if the Mavs recover with a pair of wins, there will still be plenty of doubters. This team doesn’t deserve to be trusted.

hater
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Kidd, Allah, Butler, Dirk, Tyson

nobody fucks with that lineup. NOBODY!!!

Kidd - needs to play like he's playing vs. his wife
Allah - needs to go jihad on the motherfucker
Butler - tough juice, nuff said
Dirk - just shoot some shots and throw some elbows
Tyson - his name is Tyson, nuff said

I hope Allah is taking his frustration on turtlehead right about now!!

Pelicans78
03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
whatever. I guarantee you Deshawn Stevenson will air that little bitch out.

No way. West is too big and strong for him. One punch would easily knock him out. West is way more muscular than Stevenson.

in2deep
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
West was an amateur boxer.

he was such a great boxer that he decided to become a basketball player?

Greg Oden
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Kidd, Allah, Butler, Dirk, Tyson

nobody fucks with that lineup. NOBODY!!!

Kidd - needs to play like he's playing vs. his wife
Allah - needs to go jihad on the motherfucker
Butler - tough juice, nuff said
Dirk - just shoot some shots and throw some elbows
Tyson - his name is Tyson, nuff said

I hope Allah is taking his frustration on turtlehead right about now!!

cool shtick man. I'm sure several here think it's tight.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

You are literally too stupid to insult.

Pelicans78
03-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Probably because he was 6'9 and the college player of the year. Stop fooling yourself.

in2deep
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Probably because he was 6'9 and the college player of the year. Stop fooling yourself.

just messing w you. But just remember, 1) anybody could be an amateur boxer and 2) once you lose your conditioning its wide open. that's why so many boxers that are not 100% get their asses wiped out.

DPG21920
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
You dont have to worry about Dirk. He gets messed with allthe time and still performs. It's the other mental midgets (lol me) on the Mavs that lack talent and need to look for shit to give them an "edge" you have to worry about. Sticking up for Dirk does nothing for Dirk. He's good on his own on the court.

sribb43
03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
0-82

56-26 Regular season

1-4 Playoffs

Pelicans78
03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
just messing w you. But just remember, 1) anybody could be an amateur boxer and 2) once you lose your conditioning its wide open. that's why so many boxers that are not 100% get their asses wiped out.

True.

Greg Oden
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
tbh I'd pick up Jerry Stackhouse again just to use him for fights instead of letting Soulja Boy handle the dirty work.

stretch
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
56-26 Regular season

1-4 Playoffs

0-82 Regular season

0-0 Playoffs

DNQ

MavFan6488
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
if the mavs don't make it to the WCF this year and lose to the lakers in the 2nd round, carlisle is gone.

sribb43
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
if the mavs don't make it to the WCF this year and lose to the lakers in the 2nd round, carlisle is gone.

Might as well fire RC right now then

stretch
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Might as well fire RC right now then

No need for a coach. The franchise should just be done away with completely. Worst franchise in the history of worst franchises. I wouldn't even pay $.01 for the allas chokericks.

sribb43
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
No need for a coach. The franchise should just be done away with completely. Worst franchise in the history of worst franchises. I wouldn't even pay $.01 for the allas chokericks.

:tu

stretch
03-10-2011, 03:50 PM
:tu

you got it all wrong

its always :td

no matter what

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
3 one-point losses in a 22 game stretch and Mavfans are ready to off themselves. I can't imagine how ya'll would've handled some of the losses the Lakers had this year.

stretch
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
3 one-point losses in a 22 game stretch and Mavfans are ready to off themselves. I can't imagine how ya'll would've handled some of the losses the Lakers had this year.

+1

It's really not as bad as some fans are making it out to be. Their issues come more from a lack of focus than anything. They have proven that when they are dialed in, they are as complete and deadly as any team in the NBA. And they always show up for games against the elite teams, so I'm not too worried.

All teams have flaws and such, but IMO the Mavs and Lakers are the two most complete, most versatile, and least flawed teams in the NBA. This is why I foretold the facts, that the NBA championship will be won by the winner of the 2nd round series that they will play against each other in May.

crc21209
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
:lol Terry trying to act hard. That little bitch...

Greg Oden
03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I have the emptiest 7,000 posts in ST history.

monosylab1k
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
No way. West is too big and strong for him. One punch would easily knock him out. West is way more muscular than Stevenson.

I'll take the guy who's been in street brawls over some tea sipping regal fisticuffs figther any day.

#41 Shoot Em Up
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Just trying to light a fire. Nothing to see here.
Team has trouble holding leads late in games, just have to get the late game
situations tight and it'll be alright

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
+1

It's really not as bad as some fans are making it out to be. Their issues come more from a lack of focus than anything. They have proven that when they are dialed in, they are as complete and deadly as any team in the NBA. And they always show up for games against the elite teams, so I'm not too worried.

All teams have flaws and such, but IMO the Mavs and Lakers are the two most complete, most versatile, and least flawed teams in the NBA. This is why I foretold the facts, that the NBA championship will be won by the winner of the 2nd round series that they will play against each other in May.

Exactly...in at least 2 of the 3 losses (NOH and DEN) the Mavs held double-digit leads in the fourth, but got lackadaisical and let the other team back in it. That's behavior that you'll rarely see in the playoffs, where the sense of urgency is much greater.

I agree that the Dallas-LA winner will more than likely be the ventual champion--especially now that Boston jettisoned Perkins. Dallas has a legitimate clutch go-to-guy, a capable defense, and a solid bench.

My biggest hang-up on Dallas--which is the same fear I have with Chicago--is that both teams will have a strong possibility of suffering long scoring droughts if their primary players (Rose and Dirk) are having off nights and/or are being aggressively doubled. This is why Roddy Buckets MUST see significant minutes. If you start to see JJB getting big minutes in the playoffs then yeah, time to put the gun in your mouth.

stretch
03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Exactly...in at least 2 of the 3 losses (NOH and DEN) the Mavs held double-digit leads in the fourth, but got lackadaisical and let the other team back in it. That's behavior that you'll rarely see in the playoffs, where the sense of urgency is much greater.

I agree that the Dallas-LA winner will more than likely be the ventual champion--especially now that Boston jettisoned Perkins. Dallas has a legitimate clutch go-to-guy, a capable defense, and a solid bench.

My biggest hang-up on Dallas--which is the same fear I have with Chicago--is that both teams will have a strong possibility of suffering long scoring droughts if their primary players (Rose and Dirk) are having off nights and/or are being aggressively doubled. This is why Roddy Buckets MUST see significant minutes. If you start to see JJB getting big minutes in the playoffs then yeah, time to put the gun in your mouth.

I don't think Barea is as bad as some people say he is. I used to hate on him in the past, but he's really taken a few steps further this season in his growth. He is much more controlled, consistent, and constantly plays hard and looks to attack. He seems to have also acknowledged his limitations, and doesnt try to do too much like he often used to.

The combo of Roddy/JET will be the key for the Mavs to win a title. If they get consistent scoring out of the duo, and at least one of these guys are playing solidly each game, they will be fine.

I do think Roddy needs to be getting at least 20 minutes a game though, and he needs to be in the game for minutes while Dirk is off the floor, so he can take on more of the scoring load, and focus on penetration.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
tbh The Mavs chances ride a lot on RC. That's not usually the case in the NBA. Coaching is largely overrated and talent will usually trump all, but RC's rotations and substitutions have the power to make or break Dallas. You can't keep the talent tied down to the bench.

stretch
03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
tbh The Mavs chances ride a lot on RC. That's not usually the case in the NBA. Coaching is largely overrated and talent will usually trump all, but RC's rotations and substitutions have the power to make or break Dallas. You can't keep the talent tied down to the bench.

I'm still holding out hope. He said he expects that sometime in April we will see Roddy in full sync, so hopefully that means he has some sort of plan in place that we just don't know. Hard to tell though. Past history doesnt bode well though, but I just don't see how someone can be that ignorant, so as to just not see the positive effect Roddy has on not just the game, but the team as a whole. He constantly gives them energy by his play.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm still holding out hope. He said he expects that sometime in April we will see Roddy in full sync, so hopefully that means he has some sort of plan in place that we just don't know. Hard to tell though. Past history doesnt bode well though, but I just don't see how someone can be that ignorant, so as to just not see the positive effect Roddy has on not just the game, but the team as a whole. He constantly gives them energy by his play.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a player who gets more out of the minutes he plays than RB. He reminds me of a young Manu off the bench (calm down spurfan, just comparing their energy), or an older Van Exel in his Dallas days...instant energy and points. If Carlisle remains stubborn in his refusal to give Roddy major minutes, don't you think Cubes would step in? I don't normally advocate owners impeding on the coaching process, but this would be for the best imho

SenorSpur
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Turtlehead may have a point. It's not clear whether Carlisle included him in his criticism. Now, had the head coach declared his team was both "soft and dumb", then that would've covered Cecil Turtle totally and entirely.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
The Mavs chances in the playoffs ride 100% on Carlisle's willingness to -

1. Play Roddy significant minutes every night
2. Limit Barea's minutes
3. Drastically reduce Jet/Peja's minutes

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I think everybody's pretty much in universal agreement that Roddy's minutes will dictate a lot of how much success Dallas has in the PO. He's the ace in the hole for an aspiring contender, especially considering that he's still an unknown commodity to most opponents. He plays limited minutes and there's not a lot of tangible game film on him. Teams aren't used to seeing him, and thus, will have a hard time preparing for him on the fly in a playoff series. It's been said a thousand times, but it's up to RC to use this cat.

jjktkk
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Roddy's injury really set himself and the Mavs back this year. Roddy's play is gonna be up and down for the rest of the season, so its gonna hard for Carlisle to trust Roddy in the playoffs.

stretch
03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Roddy might have a mistake from time to time, but Barea and JET both have silly mistakes as well. Difference is, Roddy is considerably more gifted and talented than either of these guys.

I think its more than worth the risk of dealing with youthful mistakes at times. When he loses a game for the team, then there will be a legit reason for Ricky C to be hesistant to play him. On the other hand, JET has lost and still loses countless games for the Mavs in his time here, but somehow he still gets stuck with.

jjktkk
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Roddy might have a mistake from time to time, but Barea and JET both have silly mistakes as well. Difference is, Roddy is considerably more gifted and talented than either of these guys.

I think its more than worth the risk of dealing with youthful mistakes at times. When he loses a game for the team, then there will be a legit reason for Ricky C to be hesistant to play him. On the other hand, JET has lost and still loses countless games for the Mavs in his time here, but somehow he still gets stuck with.

I agree, but Roddy's situation reminds of George Hill's rookie year, when Pop refused to play Hill in the playoffs, going instead with old ass Jacque Vaughn. RC is stubborn like Pop with their reluctance in playing younger players, even if that younger player is more talented.

Jodelo
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
That Terry gif never becomes boring! :lmao

Jacob1983
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
The Mask is right. When you have a decent lead with not that much time left in the game, you have to make the right plays to finish and get the victory. No excuses.

Axe Murderer
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
The Mask is right. When you have a decent lead with not that much time left in the game, you have to make the right plays to finish and get the victory. No excuses.

The Mask is right. When you have a decent lead with not that much time left in the game, you have to make the right p

[QUOTE=Jacob1983;5041324]The Mask is right. When you have a decent l

lays to finish and get the victory. No excuses.