PDA

View Full Version : What a Strained Soleus Muscle looks like on MRI

dynamodr3w
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Just a little info here:
Tony has what is also called a Tennis Injury since a lot of calf injuries are seen in the sport of tennis. Here are two links:

http://musculoskeletalmri.blogspot.com/2008/03/sharks-and-soleus-muscle.html

http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?sec=ser&sub=def&pag=dis&ItemID=74113

"the quicker the diagnosis is made, the faster the recovery. In the Kwak study, two patients were asymptomatic until two weeks after injury, and one showed delayed fluid collection, leading the authors to conclude that the sooner a diagnosis was made, the better the prognosis"

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him in 2 weeks as well, with proper diet/ rest/ rehab ..should not take long.

dynamodr3w
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Although the first link is an MRI of a tear, the second link shows a strain of the gastrocnemius muscle ..the principles are the same.

Brazil
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
TP healed of a broken bone in no time, he will heal that shit in less than 3 weeks

Agloco
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Although the first link is an MRI of a tear, the second link shows a strain of the gastrocnemius muscle ..the principles are the same.

Soft tissue pathology often shows up as bright on T2 weighted images. Water enters the area as a result of edema and lengthens the T2 relaxation time of the affected area relative to the healthy surrounding tissue.

Aunt Minnie is a great resource for anyone in Radiologic Science. Thanks for the link. :tu

boutons_deux
02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
How do they minimize a guy losing (too much) fitness during such a injury?

rayray2k8
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
You guys are fucked!!!

:lol

LakerHater
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
You guys are fucked!!!

Especially come Sunday, TBH!

cd98
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
You guys are fucked!!!

At least we don't have to plug the whole with a Derek Fisher type.

Dr Cox
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
He WILL be back for the Spurs game March 18th vs the Mavs.

Budkin
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
You guys are fucked!!!

Damn I knew you'd make your way into here somewhere.

Man In Black
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Strained Soleus- Calf Injury. Since the guy is heavily reliant on his speed, the best thing they can do is to treat him and more importantly, rest him. He's going to get a lot of ice the first 48 and then it's on to things like Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for pain relief, massage, and other things. I'd be surprised if he missed more than 2 weeks. Pop likes to play it safe so to say 4 isn't bad. It's not as bad as what happened to Tiago but it's smart to let Will Sevening do his magic.

Besides, it's not like he's being trained by Laker Medical Staff. They have a sucky ass record when it comes to re-habbing their athletes. How long did it take for Bynum to be fully healthy? Oh wait, he isn't yet. :lmao

John Basedow
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Strained Soleus- Calf Injury. Since the guy is heavily reliant on his speed, the best thing they can do is to treat him and more importantly, rest him. He's going to get a lot of ice the first 48 and then it's on to things like Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for pain relief, massage, and other things. I'd be surprised if he missed more than 2 weeks. Pop likes to play it safe so to say 4 isn't bad. It's not as bad as what happened to Tiago but it's smart to let Will Sevening do his magic.

Besides, it's not like he's being trained by Laker Medical Staff. They have a sucky ass record when it comes to re-habbing their athletes. How long did it take for Bynum to be fully healthy? Oh wait, he isn't yet. :lmao

Yet we still won b2b championships.

Feel stupid yet?

lrrr
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm not entirely convinved the "strained soleus" story is really what's up with TP. More like a muscle contusion/bruise. A strain would occur more commonly in overuse of a particular muscle, and the soleus is a postural/endurance muscle and basketball is not a sport involving heavy use of the slow muscle groups in any part of the body.

I would be worried if it was a muscle strain caused by chronic overuse of a particular muscle, such as a hamstring strain (more common among high speed/sprinting activities such as basketball). TPs injury was caused by an unfortunate collision and this muscle isn't particularly important to the type of game he plays anyway.

Man In Black
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Yet we still won b2b championships.

Feel stupid yet?

Not at all. When you look in the mirror, are you pissed off that you don't actually have a 6pack? REALITY :lmao

DaSafan
02-28-2011, 09:05 PM
"leading the authors to conclude that the sooner a diagnosis was made, the better the prognosis"

Genius researchers at work........:stupid:

VBM
02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I suffered a Grade 2 strained soleus back in July. Took me about 6 weeks to get back on a basketball court. That was without the top dollar training staff the Spurs have. Tony will be healed up quickly...it's really a mental thing after the first couple of weeks...just being worried about reaggravating.

And yes, it's a cool story bro.

Yorae
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
You guys are fucked!!!

You fucking wished. :lol

Russ
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not entirely convinved the "strained soleus" story is really what's up with TP. More like a muscle contusion/bruise. A strain would occur more commonly in overuse of a particular muscle, and the soleus is a postural/endurance muscle and basketball is not a sport involving heavy use of the slow muscle groups in any part of the body.

I would be worried if it was a muscle strain caused by chronic overuse of a particular muscle, such as a hamstring strain (more common among high speed/sprinting activities such as basketball). TPs injury was caused by an unfortunate collision and this muscle isn't particularly important to the type of game he plays anyway.

It almost seems as if the Spurs are looking for injuries to give rest to their players.

maddnezz
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=John Basedow;5012153]Yet we still won b2b championships.

Feel stupid yet?[/QUOTEIf you guys win Sunday your supposed to, if we win uh oh............and yes I'll be lookin for ya to post here just like you were supposed to be here the last time we won..........just sayin.