PDA

View Full Version : George Hill starting in place of Manu

Creation88
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Manu is healthy, but Hill will start. see my Manu slump thread.

this via JMcDonald on twitter

timtonymanu
02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow! The streak ends. I like it that Manu can get rest, but George Hill starting? IMO, I would have tried out Neal.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 07:45 PM
He just needs to stop forcing shots and focus on not being sloppy. I don't see how coming off the bench will help this, as he's going to probably be taking more of the shots with the 2nd unit, Parker on bench. Minutes are the real factor IMO. Who knows though maybe this change up will spark a positive change.

ogait
02-12-2011, 07:48 PM
This only makes sense to me if he's going to rest the all game. If he's just coming off the bench is a bad move.

ElNono
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
:td

Say what you will, but starting does give you extra confidence, and I thought that has been on display throughout this season. He also proved that he could handle the minutes.
Now you'll hear all the right things from Manu about the demotion, but I really think it's silly. If what they want is to start monitoring the minutes, they could do that while keeping him a starter.

DesignatedT
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
hmm I knew Pop couldn't keep the same lineup all year. Well see how it works, not a big deal really.

DesignatedT
02-12-2011, 07:51 PM
It might be more of trying to get Hill going also. Hill HAS to play better then he has been if we want a serious shot at this thing. He has got to be our best player off the bench and he hasn't been consistently. Manu has dealt with this his whole career, saying this will affect him is retarded.

duncan228
02-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Are the Spurs now the only team bringing an All-Star off the bench?

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
ghill the guy who cant play away from home, needs to increase his stats for his away games...dude has been shocking

Ice009
02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
We're not playing good lately.

We need to play better so some kind of shake up was needed IMO.

You just can't play one good quarter per game, that's bordering on pathetic for a team supposedly as good as the Spurs.

jjktkk
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM

Say what you will, but starting does give you extra confidence, and I thought that has been on display throughout this season. He also proved that he could handle the minutes.
Now you'll hear all the right things from Manu about the demotion, but I really think it's silly. If what they want is to start monitoring the minutes, they could do that while keeping him a starter.

+1. Hope Pop isn't try to send Manu a message. Maybe Pop is trying to spark up the bench. Doesn't make sense imo.

Spurs Brazil
02-12-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't like this move

Blair420
02-12-2011, 08:02 PM
What's the big deal? Manu will end up playing around the same amount of mins anyways.

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:03 PM
What Manu has dealt with throughout his career is irrelevant, tbh. Hill needs to nut up, and doing that coming off the bench or starting really makes no difference.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 08:03 PM

The thing is, the minutes don't vary necessarily whether he starts or not. When he was holding his 6th man role, he was still playing the same amount of minutes, the ball was still in his hands at the end of the game.

edit: I responded prematurely without reading that last part...so basically I'm a lazy shit lol. I agree with bold.

alchemist
02-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I like this move a lot.

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:07 PM
If Dice would be sucking and Timmy would get demoted to the bench to 'get Dice going', I'm sure he would say all the right things too. I just think it wouldn't be fair to Tim and I don't think it would really serve any purpose.

Ice009
02-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree that Hill has been crap. He really needs to stop being a passive BITCH and start getting aggressive consistently ON THE ROAD.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH GEORGE.

ChuckD
02-12-2011, 08:08 PM
My guess is that with the 5 in 7 nights schedule, Manu will sit out, a la Dice versus Toronto. You'll probably see more of this too, like Maybe Tim sits against the wretched Nets

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
The thing is, the minutes don't vary necessarily whether he starts or not.

Not really. He's been averaging about 3 more minutes per game this season as a starter...

TD 21
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Look at you all, too blinded by your love for Ginobili to see the light. This isn't about getting Hill going or the bench going, it's about getting Ginobili going. He's shot the ball awfully for a long time now. This is beyond a shooting slump at this point. His percentages are getting to the point where they're close to career low territory. He's also not as aggressive or assertive as he was earlier in the season. He's healthy, but something's amiss. He went from all world for basically the entire calendar year of 2010, to all of a sudden playing like a fringe All-Star at best. From top ten in PER to barely top twenty.

I could only imagine the outrage if Parker had fallen off to this extent.

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
My guess is that with the 5 in 7 nights schedule, Manu will sit out, a la Dice versus Toronto. You'll probably see more of this too, like Maybe Tim sits against the wretched Nets

This is what makes sense to me. If he were to sit out, then it makes sense.
What I would hate to see is what happened last season when Pop tried to sit Tim in Toronto, and it backfired really bad.

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I could only imagine the outrage if Parker had fallen off to this extent.

Tony went through this (maybe for not such an extended period) early in the season. Heck I remember making the Tony in a slump? thread...

ElNono
02-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Anyways, time to watch the game :D

ChumpDumper
02-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Both Manu and George have sucked all month.

Might as well try something.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Not really. He's been averaging about 3 more minutes per game this season as a starter...

Ehh...3 more minutes this season compared to last year.

Last year wasn't the only year he came off the bench, he was moved permanently for a while back. Other than in 07-08, and this season, his minutes are pretty similar.

02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
ginobili is obviously fatigued. good move by pop. if he kept ginobili in the lineup, manu would be completely out of gas by the playoffs. he played this much minutes in the 07-08 season and we all know how that turned out in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
02-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm kind of indifferent about this move. However I agree that Manu has looked somewhat fatigued. He's been forcing shots and seemingly been committing more turnovers than usual. In fact, one of the most frustrating elements about this team, aside from the inordinate amount of 3-balls they take, is their rash of turnovers that seem to rack up every game. This team is simply way too careless with the ball - and Manu is at the top of that list.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
The tricky part about limiting a player like Manu's minutes is that if you limit them too much, it might not help with the confidence thing. A streaky scorer needs regular shot attempts to stay hot. If we want him to start and close the game, while limiting his minutes even more...implicitly he's either going to have to go large gaps without being in the game (as a player, this always fucked with me if it happened. It's tough being constantly effective in shooting when you play in segmented streaks), or be subbed in and out constantly in 4 minute intervals of playing time or so. Play 4 mins, come out for a couple, go back in again but only for 4 or so again, etc etc on repeat. It's not an easy situation.

MmP
02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
why fix it if it ain't broke...

GSH
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Hill benefits from being with the starters. The second unit benefits from being with Manu. Other than perceptions, it's a win-win. I think it will work out great for them.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
why fix it if it ain't broke...

the Spurs ain't broke, Manu seems to be on his way there and that's what we're really discussing here...

SenorSpur
02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Anybody think this lineup change extends beyond this one game?

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 09:00 PM

I definitely do.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
A change like this is pointless for one game.

If it were only a very short-term change, it would make tons of more sense for him to not play the game at all.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
haters going to hate

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
8 minutes of play for Manu through first half. Looks like Pop is just pulling him back from now... giving him something of a break for a while, both physically and mentally.

Works for me. Pop needs to pull Manu back for a while if they want him 100% come March and April.

SpurAddict561
02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Obviously a great decision by Pop....get Manu a rest and make him hungry again

Hills ballin too!

SA210
02-12-2011, 09:38 PM
:pop::pctoss

Trill Clinton
02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't think it's a big deal considering they're playing the Wizards.

ducks
02-12-2011, 09:39 PM

he is tired
he is bad last 5 games
bench has been makes sence

Ice009
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Both Manu and George have sucked all month.

Might as well try something.

Yep both have been crap, George more so, but both haven't played anywhere near their potential this month.

chasky
02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Obviously a great decision by Pop....get Manu a rest and make him hungry again

Hills ballin too!

Make Manu hungry. LOL

ElNono
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM

tbh, I didn't know Manu was banged up... it makes sense from that perspective, and I would expect him to be back in the starting lineup once he heals up...

ElNono
02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
At any rate, not a lot you can take away from this game as far as this change having an effect...

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
itz the wiz, lets see him back that up next game

ducks
02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I think the lineup change will be in effect to atleast the allstar break

if rj plays will without manu in the starting lineup why keep him there?

TMTTRIO
02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't see the point in having him come off the bench. It's the same thing whether he comes off the bench or not. If he's that bad off and tired maybe it would be the best to rest him for a few games.

ducks
02-12-2011, 10:43 PM
if it was just for one game
and it was against the wizzards why not just not play manu

duncan228
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Pop says lineup decision made to keep Manu fresh for 4th, though he wasn't needed. Says it will be a one-night thing.

ducks
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
then pop was stupid

why even bother playing manu if he is that tired on the back to back against the lowly wizzards

roycrikside
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I think I would prefer right now to have Manu come off the bench. It was fine when he was starting most of the year because he needed to start. Tony wasn't playing really well the first 15-20 games, so the team needed Manu's scoring right away.

Now though, the last 20 games or so, maybe 30, Tony is playing very well, scoring as well and as efficiently as ever, so Ginobili's offense isn't needed as much with the starters. RJ and Tim have to get shots too, and Blair's scoring somewhat consistently these days.

Again, pay attention to what I'm saying. I'm not trying to turn this into a Manu vs. Tony thread at all. It's just been established pretty much for most of their respective careers that when TP has it going, there is an offensive surplus and Manu isn't as needed, especially the first six minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters when Ginobili will hardly touch the ball anyway.

I think it's best for the Spurs, for Manu, and especially for the bench to have Manu go back there. I'd rather see him play 26-28 minutes where he gets a lot of touches than 31 minutes where he's wasted for 12-14 of them just running up and down with his thumb up his butt, getting one touch every six or seven possessions.

cutewizard
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
im all for resting manu versus the weaker teams of the league....

rest manu, and tim and old man dice to get ready for the playoffs

REST REST them

ElNono
02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
then pop was stupid

:lmao

Spurs7794
02-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I think I would prefer right now to have Manu come off the bench. It was fine when he was starting most of the year because he needed to start. Tony wasn't playing really well the first 15-20 games, so the team needed Manu's scoring right away.

Now though, the last 20 games or so, maybe 30, Tony is playing very well, scoring as well and as efficiently as ever, so Ginobili's offense isn't needed as much with the starters. RJ and Tim have to get shots too, and Blair's scoring somewhat consistently these days.

Again, pay attention to what I'm saying. I'm not trying to turn this into a Manu vs. Tony thread at all. It's just been established pretty much for most of their respective careers that when TP has it going, there is an offensive surplus and Manu isn't as needed, especially the first six minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters when Ginobili will hardly touch the ball anyway.

I think it's best for the Spurs, for Manu, and especially for the bench to have Manu go back there. I'd rather see him play 26-28 minutes where he gets a lot of touches than 31 minutes where he's wasted for 12-14 of them just running up and down with his thumb up his butt, getting one touch every six or seven possessions.

Tony's defense was actually better early on in the season and he was averaging more assists early on. I think he's been pretty consistent all season so I see no reason why Tony should be a reason that Manu should come off the bench.

Thank god Pop decided its a one game thing. I was getting worried there...Manu needs to start, he helps get us off to great starts and the rotation is perfect the way he plays with the bench at the beginning of the 4th quarter. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop did this on purpose just so he didn't have to keep hearing how we've had the same lineup all season. :lol

ducks
02-12-2011, 11:41 PM
tp gets the spurs off to the their great start

manu scores more and gets more assist in the 4

duncan228
02-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Just quotes, hit the link for the whole piece.

Hill benefits from starting cameo (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/12/hill-benefits-from-starting-cameo/)
Jeff McDonald

..."I know Manu’s a little banged up and needed a little rest,” said Hill, who started 43 games between both guard positions last season. “I just wanted to step in, bring a little juice.”

...“You never know with Pop,” Hill said. “You stay ready. It’s something you’ve got to have in the back of your head, that any day now he can call your card.”

...Popovich has assured Ginobili the lineup will return to normal by the time the team tips off in New Jersey on Monday.

At that point, Hill said he won’t mind returning to the bench.

“At the end of the day, it’s basketball,” Hill said. “No matter if you start or come off the bench, you just try to help your team win games.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/12/hill-benefits-from-starting-cameo/

Cessation
02-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Hill is starter material and a classy guy, but "if it aint broke don't fix it", is in effect.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2011, 01:11 AM
This only makes sense to me if he's going to rest the all game. If he's just coming off the bench is a bad move.

Good call. Manu played about ten minutes, right?

duncan228
02-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Hit the link for the rest, including more quotes.

Manu able to rest as Spurs roll (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/12/manu-able-to-rest-as-spurs-roll/)
Jeff McDonald

...Ginobili was neither shocked by the move, nor upset by it.

“I agreed,” Ginobili said. “It wasn’t a game for playing 35 (minutes) again. He wanted me fresh for the fourth (quarter), then we ended up not needing it.”

...After the most restful game of his season, Ginobili feigned worry the Spurs had enjoyed too good a night. The Spurs’ leading scorer agreed he needed a shortened workload.

“I’m a little banged up,” said Ginobili, who played with a padded black sleeve on his left bicep to protect a recurring bruise. “Aches and pains. Nothing that threatens the season, but they add up, and I needed a rest.”

Before the game, Popovich assured Ginobili the lineup change was a one-night affair. He plans to return to the same starting five that won 44 games Monday in New Jersey.

“We were up by 40,” Ginobili said chuckling, “so the chances are different now than before the game.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/12/manu-able-to-rest-as-spurs-roll/

Silver&Black
02-13-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm 100% o.k. with pop "tweaking" the starting lineup even though their is no injury. I stopped questioning pop a long time ago......and If you ever do question pop....slap yourself with baby powder.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2011, 02:03 AM
There are legitimate times to question Pop, but this isn't one of them. Resting your top scorer on the second night of a B2B isn't the same thing as benching said player in favor of Keith Bogans.

Brutalis
02-13-2011, 02:58 AM
I actually liked this move.

I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench the rest of the year either. We might be better with him giving us that scoring punch off the bench like old times.

But then again it could mess our chemistry up a bit.

ceperez
02-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Manu should take a 1 month break.

He should only play against strong defensive teams and likely title contenders.

TheBigFundamental
02-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Before the game, Popovich assured Ginobili the lineup change was a one-night affair. He plans to return to the same starting five that won 44 games Monday in New Jersey.

SpursNation

nkdlunch
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
lotta fans in dc got riped off. They wanted to see Manu and only saw 4 minutes of him.

JustinJDW
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
So just a small one time move to keep Ginobili fresh. Fine with me. As long as we are still set for the Playoffs.

Bartleby
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
lotta fans in dc got riped off. They wanted to see Manu and only saw 4 minutes of him.

They got ripped off because the Wizards suck.

Thought about driving down for the game, but I'm glad I didn't.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
They got ripped off because the Wizards suck.

Thought about driving down for the game, but I'm glad I didn't.

The game was the fourth sellout of the season for the Wizards. Must have been a lot of teams going to see the Spurs.