Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/NBAFanHouse/status/35769668325081088

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
KSL: Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign
Published: Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011 11:29 a.m. MST
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News

KSL has learned that Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and assistant coach Phil Johnson will resign at a press conference later Thursday.

More details will be posted as they become available.

The news comes after the Jazz lost to Chicago in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, where former Jazz players Kyle Korver and Ronnie Brewer helped the Bulls escape Utah with a 91-86 win.

After the game, Sloan didn't come out of his office for a postgame interview until about a half-hour after his team lost for the 10th time in 14 games.

The Hall of Famer, who usually talks to reporters about 10 minutes after the final buzzer, had been in a discussion with general manager Kevin O'Connor.

"We just had something we had to discuss," Sloan said, "and we'll talk to you all later on about that." A major part of the discussion, however, was the possibility of a trade in the works.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

Mugen
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
lol damn.

4>0rings
Over rated coach.

Leetonidas
About fucking time.

Paging Mike Brown.

jacobdrj
02-10-2011, 01:46 PM
About. Freeking. Time...
Too late for Karl Malone and John Stockton, but maybe not too late for this crew. Although, Deron is so looking like he is gone the 1st chance he gets, which sucks.

bostonguy
It's only fitting. The Jazz have made some fatal moves this past offseason. Choosing an old Raja Bell over Wesley Matthews. Drafting a bust with the 9th pick. Replacing Boozer with Jefferson.

Deron is bolting that franchise and I do not blame him. They made stupid fatal decisions this summer.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Wow. Definitely didn't think he'd go out mid-season. Tough to picture management telling him to do this, even tougher to picture an old warhorse like him just leaving after all this time out of frustration. Wonder if a health issue at play?

koriwhat
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
pretty shocking, no doubt about it.

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Truly one of the greats. Tough way for him to go out

ALVAREZ6
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Damn.

He's probably pissed to learn that Deron is about to be on his way to Los Angeles.

If this really is the case, fuck the NBA.

DMC
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Seeing how he just signed an extension for another year, it has to be something drastic to cause him to bolt mid season if indeed that's his plan. He seems like a guy that would wait until the end of the season, or move into the front office and allow someone else to coach, citing personal reasons.

4>0rings
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Seeing how he just signed an extension for another year, it has to be something drastic to cause him to bolt mid season if indeed that's his plan. He seems like a guy that would wait until the end of the season, or move into the front office and allow someone else to coach, citing personal reasons.
I was thinking he just signed the 1 year extension to groom his replacement. I guess that's not going to happen.

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Wow!!! Great coach. A shame the Jazz FO went cheap on Sloan the past couple of seasons.

The TroutBum
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Holy fucking shit.

I'm telling you right now that the Jazz would never fire Jerry Sloan, and this was Jerry's way of saying, "Fuck you!" to Greg Miller and Kevin O'Connor. I would pay anything to have been a fly on the wall in their secret meeting last night. The fact that Phil Johnson is leaving w/ Sloan just adds to my theory.

PGDynasty24
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Another person has just surfaced for the Lakers job in the offseason,Kobe loves Slone and if he has a say he will get him here

jeebus
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm going to laugh if the Jazz win it all next year.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Another person has just surfaced for the Lakers job in the offseason,Kobe loves Slone and if he has a say he will get him here

i would love that, tbh. :toast

rickross
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM we'll get a new coach in miami by next season might as well be a HOF.

Since we got such epic talent on our team we deserve 2 coaches and both should be HOF , rice boi can bring da coffee

Dex
02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Hard to believe.

Not because Sloan was doing such a great job, but just because I can hardly imagine the Jazz with someone else at the helm. Sloan was probably the one guy who had more job security than Pop, and even he's getting shown the door.

Booharv
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
The people that are saying "its about time" are retarded.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsmpNv.bSYWFLkdICSu04B68vLYF?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

Sloan resigning after clash with Williams

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
26 minutes ago

After a 23-season Hall-of-Fame run as coach of the Utah Jazz, Jerry Sloan abruptly resigned his job on Thursday.

Sloan, 68, had agreed to a one-year contract extension in the past week but things publicly turned late Wednesday after a long meeting with Jazz general manager Kevin O’Connor following the team’s loss to the Chicago Bulls in Salt Lake City. Sloan and his longtime assistant, Phil Johnson, resigned together on Thursday. The Jazz planned a 5 p.m. ET news conference to officially make the announcement.

More From Yahoo! Sports Staff
All-Star reserves set Feb 3, 2011
Sloan’s relationship with point guard Deron Williams(notes) had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said, and the coach had tired of dealing with the team’s best player. The frustration escalated on Wednesday night when Sloan and Williams clashed in the locker room at halftime.

“He decided right there in halftime that he was done,” a league source told Yahoo! Sports. “He felt like ownership was listening more to Williams than they were to him anymore. He was done.”

One source said Sloan had become tired of Williams “blaming everything on everyone else.” Still, Williams, who can become a free agent in the summer of 2012, has remained the Jazz’s best and most consistent player after the departure of several key teammates. Williams has always had a reputation for wanting to win badly and being a strong leader.

Assistant coach Ty Corbin, who is expected to be a candidate for other head-coaching jobs next offseason, is believed to be the heir apparent. His agent, Steve Kauffman, was still waiting to hear from Jazz officials on Thursday afternoon about the naming of Corbin as the interim coach.

@tribjazz
Brian T. Smith
Sources say Sloan had lost team. One described situation as Deron Williams only staying if Sloan stepped down.

http://twitter.com/#!/tribjazz/status/35790446567362560

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
As I've been saying since last year, Deron Williams isn't a leader..he's overrated(when people refer to him as the clear #1 PG in the NBA, which most people do), he doesn't perform in clutch time, and as he has shown this season, he's a drama queen/pussy..as was evident in last night's game, where he had 3 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game..

I can't wait until he goes to the Lakers, where all the drama queens belong..

Hoops Czar
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
next Laker head coach.

tlongII
Unbeavable. That's all I got to say.

HarlemHeat37
Unbeavable. That's all I got to say.

You should edit your post first..

tlongII
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
As I've been saying since last year, Deron Williams isn't a leader..he's overrated(when people refer to him as the clear #1 PG in the NBA, which most people do), he doesn't perform in clutch time, and as he has shown this season, he's a drama queen/pussy..as was evident in last night's game, where he had 3 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game..

I completely disagree with this. D-Will is a tremendous player. Jerry Sloan is a HOF coach, but the days of "my way or the highway" are gone. Williams is sick of seeing the team continually depleted of talent and he's going to voice his displeasure. I'd take him on the Blazers in a heartbeat!

rickross
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
seriously .. hows dis team gonna play, they aint got D especially in da middle, and their 3pt shootin is lacking... its like attack the paint and run and this shit wont cut it for wins even if team got talent.

Only thang sloan need 2 learn is dat a double team is a good tactic cuz he NEVA doubletemin.

ALVAREZ6
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Deron, you're a stud player, but you shut the fuck up and listen to Jerry Sloan.

balli
02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
+1 First thing I thought. Sloan's telling the Jazz to go fuck themselves, gonna go coach for a team that wants to be better than mediocre.

coyotes_geek
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Kobe may love Sloan, but I just don't see Sloan as the type of guy who would be interested in the laker circus and everything that goes with it. Especially not at 68 years old. TBH, I think Sloan calls it a career.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Harlem you are trippin' ...Paul may have regained his top PG spot but Dwill can ball. I wont make excuses for last night but in otehr games I have seen him clearly frustrated with dudes not being in the right spot. The effort he gave on the second night of a b2b against the Spurs was typical Dwill ...
Sloan is a great coach but not ever coach and player see eyetoeye ...

Dwill is probably not staying regardless but dont blame Jazz FO for doing what tehy can to keep Dwill ...but they must be careful though he is no Lebron look what that strategy got the cavs Sloan could of kept them afloat sans Dwill they won 2of3 recently when Dwill was hurt ...

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Great news for the Jazz. They lose a stubborn, HUGELY overrated coach who refuses to change a system that repeatedly fails in the playoffs while always throwing away the chance to get talented players because he'd rather have talentless honkies who "fit his system".

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
+1 First thing I thought. Sloan's telling the Jazz to go fuck themselves, gonna go coach for a team that wants to be better than mediocre.

Sloan's 23 year resume with Utah might as well be titled "mediocre". He's written the book on winning 50 games and losing in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not denying Williams' talent..however, he's clearly a diva that has been complaining all year, instead of focusing on playing..he has displayed poor leadership and drama queen behavior, all year..

balli
02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Kobe may love Sloan, but I just don't see Sloan as the type of guy who would be interested in the laker circus and everything that goes with it. Especially not at 68 years old. TBH, I think Sloan calls it a career.

Ah, Sloan's a fighter. You might be right (and LA is not the first thing you think of when you hear the name Sloan.), but I bet he comes back swinging- at Deron, at management and at ownership. LA gives him the best chance to do that. And yeah, he and Kobe are simpatico.

The Jazz sell out almost every game. Their in state TV rating are through the roof. The Millers own half of Utah. We're small market, but we got money. They didn't have to let all his talent walk. Particularly Wes.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not denying Williams' talent..however, he's clearly a diva that has been complaining all year, instead of focusing on playing..he has displayed poor leadership and drama queen behavior, all year..

And like all Jerry Sloan teams, the PG gets to play by his own rules and isn't held accountable at all. John Stockton loved passing up wide open layups and rifling passes out to Hornacek for a 20 footer because racking up assists was his #1 priority, and Sloan never did shit to change his attitude.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
And like all Jerry Sloan teams, the PG gets to play by his own rules and isn't held accountable at all. John Stockton loved passing up wide open layups and rifling passes out to Hornacek for a 20 footer because racking up assists was his #1 priority, and Sloan never did shit to change his attitude.

I completely agree that Sloan is overrated, been saying it for years..

He's a great system coach, his strategies are good GOING INTO the game, but he's absolutely terrible at making adjustments, particularly in-game adjustments..I've seen him get out-coached during a game many times, particularly the last few seasons..

crc21209
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM

+1. I never really understood the whole "Best PG in the game" argument....

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I completely agree that Sloan is overrated, been saying it for years..

He's a great system coach, his strategies are good GOING INTO the game, but he's absolutely terrible at making adjustments, particularly in-game adjustments..I've seen him get out-coached during a game many times, particularly the last few seasons..

Yup, he's also terrible at adjusting his system. After 23 years of his "run everything through the PG where he holds the ball 95% of the time" offense, you'd think a good coach would change his approach and maybe lessen the amount his offense relies on the PG.

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Deron shouldn't be blamed for this. Surely Sloan has had difficult players in the past. Deron needs to separate himself from this but quick, because the last thing he wants on his impressive resume is that he caused Sloan to retire.

balli
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Deron shouldn't be blamed for this. Surely Sloan has had difficult players in the past. Deron needs to separate himself from this but quick, because the last thing he wants on his impressive resume is that he caused Sloan to retire.
Whatever. Deron's been a whiny, disgruntled bitch all season. Maybe management was right to sign with Deron, but he's been as passive-aggressive and difficult and disgruntled as it gets. i.e. Not professional. To pretend this isn't on Deron is more than naive.

That said, Deron has a longer career ahead of him than Sloan does. Mostly, this just makes me hate the NBA.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM

what's so impressive about his resume? Sloan's system is extremely PG friendly. not saying he couldnt put up big numbers on another squad but Sloan helped him develop into the player he is today, whether he knows it or not.

not sure how the Utah fans will react to Deron after this, even if he's only half black.

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
what's so impressive about his resume? Sloan's system is extremely PG friendly. not saying he couldnt put up big numbers on another squad but Sloan helped him develop into the player he is today, whether he knows it or not.

not sure how the Utah fans will react to Deron after this, even if he's only half black.
If Deron was up for trade right now, he would demand a lot of attention. You cannot say that about many many other players. Deron isn't the best there is, not even close, but he's one of the best PGs in the league. He doesn't want a Sprewell moment.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Whatever. Deron's been a whiny, disgruntled bitch all season. Maybe management was right to sign with Deron, but he's been as passive-aggressive and difficult and disgruntled as it gets. i.e. Not professional. To pretend this isn't on Deron is more than naive.

That said, Deron has a longer career ahead of him than Sloan does. Mostly, this just makes me hate the NBA.

This is what I'm saying..

Obviously, from a Jazz front office perspective, you have to pick Deron over Sloan..this is the NBA, a franchise player means a lot more than the coach, regardless of whether it's Sloan, Pop, Phil Jackson..you always go with the franchise player..

I also agree that Utah's front office made some horrible decisions during the off-season, which is why I said they would be a 7th/8th seed(which a lot of people criticized me for), so Deron does have the right to be upset, but he's handling the situation in an inappropriate manner IMO..

coyotes_geek
02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Ah, Sloan's a fighter. You might be right (and LA is not the first thing you think of when you hear the name Sloan.), but I bet he comes back swinging- at Deron, at management and at ownership. LA gives him the best chance to do that. And yeah, he and Kobe are simpatico.

I dunno. If Sloan's leaving Utah because he's sick of Deron's ego and upset that mgmt took Deron's side, I just can't see him agreeing to subject himself to Kobe's ego when there's no doubt whatsoever what side laker mgmt would take if they ever had a spat.

The Jazz sell out almost every game. Their in state TV rating are through the roof. The Millers own half of Utah. We're small market, but we got money. They didn't have to let all his talent walk. Particularly Wes.

Yep. The Jazz FO have really messed things up. That's where Deron should be focusing his anger. But I guess it's a little harder to get upset at the guys signing your 8 figure paycheck.

djohn2oo8
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Marc Spears was just on the radio and said it is solely on Deron that Sloan is gone

Mugen
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
If Deron was up for trade right now, he would demand a lot of attention. You cannot say that about many many other players. Deron isn't the best there is, not even close, but he's one of the best PGs in the league. He doesn't want a Sprewell moment.

of course he would, he's a very good player. but Sloan and his system have a lot to do with his success.

im just sayin that its pretty shitty for Deron to throw his coach under the bus like that. And even shittier when he stills end up leaving. bushleague move.

usdane
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
ESPN News right now. It is pretty heart breaking to watch.

baseline bum
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
You should edit your post first..

It's a very old (like 15 years) joke from the Jim Rome show.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
It's a very old (like 15 years) joke from the Jim Rome show.

Link or anything?..

baseline bum
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Most underrated coach in the league. It's sickening that Sloan never got coach of the year. What a sad day for the NBA to lose such a legend so abruptly.

baseline bum
02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Link or anything?..

No, but the unbeavable thing was from an old sound clip Rome would constantly run in about 96-97 or so when I used to listen to it.

SpursPreacher
02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I disagree with him being overrated.I think he is a strong head coach that got results and he would have titles like many others in the 90s if it wasnt for the Michael Jordan roadblock lol.

silverblk mystix
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
tlong...

have you trademarked your--unbeavable-- term yet?

I actually like it.

TheMACHINE
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Great coach..i bet he hates Michael Jordan

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Not saying Dwill isnt a diva ...cant really say ... but this team lost Boozer and Wes Matthews and REPLACED them with Al Jeff and Raja Bell ...
I would be pissed too ...

tlongII
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
tlong...

have you trademarked your--unbeavable-- term yet?

I actually like it.

It's what Jumbo Ozaki said when asked to describe Tiger Woods' play during the 1997 Masters Tournament.

Oooooooooh Unbeavable!

narmerguy
02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Sad stuff. The past few seasons have been very bad for coaches that have clashed with their star player. What's funny is almost all those star players are leaving their team still...

cobbler
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Never happen.... job will go to B.Shaw (Rambis kicking himself in the ass). He will continue to implement the triangle and has the respect of Kobe and all the Lakers. If the Lakers were rebuilding and wanted to implement a new system then I could see going outside.

cobbler
02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Has a reason been given? Could be a number of things. Family, health, the FO deciding they are going blow it up and rebuild and his not wanting to go through that process at his age, etc...

Is their a link that says this is about a fued between him and Deron? That he can't handle Deron's divaness? Or is that all just assumptions...

redzero
02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
:nope to D-Will for running Sloan out of town.
:nope to everybody in the Jazz organization who thought the team would be better with Jefferson instead of Boozer.

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
i never knew deron was such a little bitch. props and respect to jerry . i like the way he's doing this

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
i wonder whats chucks take on this?? he did rip into lebron for his move, now lets see what his going to say about the jazz

tlongII
02-10-2011, 07:27 PM
:nope to D-Will for running Sloan out of town.
:nope to everybody in the Jazz organization who thought the team would be better with Jefferson instead of Boozer.

:nope to the Jazz organization for letting Matthews go

DMC
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
i wonder whats chucks take on this?? he did rip into lebron for his move, now lets see what his going to say about the jazz
Chuck has nothing but respect for Sloan. Retired greats love old coaches (except MJ, he hates everybody).

Muser
02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Has a reason been given? Could be a number of things. Family, health, the FO deciding they are going blow it up and rebuild and his not wanting to go through that process at his age, etc...

Is their a link that says this is about a fued between him and Deron? That he can't handle Deron's divaness? Or is that all just assumptions...

Sloan wanted to suspend Deron for last night and the GM said no, so Sloan quit.

cobbler
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sloan wanted to suspend Deron for last night and the GM said no, so Sloan quit.

Because Deron didnt run that one play he called?

Sloan actually wanted him suspended? Doesn't make much sense. Why not just bench his ass? The article I just read quoted sloan as saying it had nothing to do with last night followed shortly by the ever present "sources close to the team" say there has been conflict for weeks. Well never really know as usual. I always liked Sloan even in his playing days. Tough as nails.

Axe Murderer
02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Was Sloan really that good of a coach? What did he really do without 2 future hall of fames in Stockton and Malone?

You get a superstar and you're pretty much set for a decade as far as having a competitive team. Look at the Mavs/Spurs/Thunder/Lakers/Magic etc. I think you could put in any swinging dick during the Stockton/Malone era and they'd be in the playoffs annually.

dbestpro
02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Deron Williams is a great player, but great players don't win championships, great teams do, and you cannot be a great team without a great coach.

If he cannot listen to Sloan what coach would he listen to that is championship worthy?

Utah lost their head coach and Williams slides into the second teir of PGs for his inability to be a team player. Sad day for Jazz fans.

jacobdrj
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Was Sloan really that good of a coach? What did he really do without 2 future hall of fames in Stockton and Malone?

You get a superstar and you're pretty much set for a decade as far as having a competitive team. Look at the Mavs/Spurs/Thunder/Lakers/Magic etc. I think you could put in any swinging dick during the Stockton/Malone era and they'd be in the playoffs annually.

Jerry is a good coach. But he isn't a game coach. He isn't a great coach. Game management and personnel management have perpetually been his downfall. He should have told Malone to stay on the block in 98. He should have called some time-outs with larger leads in 97, and in 2007 could have at least tried to get in Boozer's face.

Would I take Jerry on my Pistons this season? Yeah. But not in 2005.

Axe Murderer
02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Jerry is a good coach. But he isn't a game coach. He isn't a great coach. Game management and personnel management have perpetually been his downfall. He should have told Malone to stay on the block in 98. He should have called some time-outs with larger leads in 97, and in 2007 could have at least tried to get in Boozer's face.

Would I take Jerry on my Pistons this season? Yeah. But not in 2005.

Exactly. Sure he's not a terrible coach or anything, but I think he did about as good as any decent coach would with 2 hall of fame players in their prime. Multiple deep playoff runs with a couple Finals berths. The big thing is that he failed to win even one title. He's a little overrated, IMO due to the fact that he had such a long tenure there.

You give any decent coach today those teams and that tenure and they do just as good, imho

Stringer_Bell
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
You give any decent coach today those teams and that tenure and they do just as good, imho

I just can't see that being true. Sloan is a different type of animal compared to most coaches, the type of fight he expects his guys to put up and their attention to execution...it's definately above standard and has been that way throughout his years. What I do agree with is him not being a BIG GAME coach, he's not the smartest, but his teams will stand and bang with anyone and that's not something you can say about 2/3 the league, imho.

scottspurs
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I just don't understand why he would quit mid-season. I always thought of Sloan as a good coach never great. I'm sure its going to be weird for jazz fans not seeing him on the sidelines.

Capt Bringdown
02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
He accomplished quite a bit with Stockton, Malone + a bunch of stiffs. No, he's far from over-rated.

ducks
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
He accomplished quite a bit with Stockton, Malone + a bunch of stiffs. No, he's far from over-rated.
that was when david robinson played decades ago

Axe Murderer
02-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Doesn't matter what they had around them, he had two first ballot hall of famers in their prime. You could argue that Phil Jackson had the same kind of team; 2 sure fire hall of famers surrounded by a bunch of stiffs. Sure Horry hit a couple of big shots but hardly anything else he did on the court is worth mentioning.

Compare the numbers of Hornacek, Russell, Ostertag to Horry, Fisher, and Fox and you'll see they're very similar slightly favoring Utah

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Stockton wasn't a superstar player, tbh, at least IMO..he's probably the most overrated player in NBA history..assist stat-padder that didn't produce in big games..

Sloan is overrated, but if you gave him Phil Jackson's rosters, he probably still wins some titles IMO, although probably not all of them..

Axe Murderer
02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Sloan is overrated, but if you gave him Phil Jackson's rosters, he probably still wins some titles IMO, although probably not all of them..

Yeah but could Sloan deal with controversy like Phil Jackson could?

Stuff like the Shaq-Kobe feud, would Sloan's no-nonsense style work for the Lakers or would it cause them to both pout and end up turning into a trainwreck?

That's where Phil is underrated, IMO. Controlling personality problems before they flared up. Pippen refusing to go in, Rodman, Shaq-Kobe, Artest, etc.

SourCandy
02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
He was getting tears. Seems like it was a hard choice for him. since 1988 ...wow

TampaDude
02-11-2011, 01:55 AM
End of an era...

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-11-2011, 02:18 AM
I just don't understand why he would quit mid-season.

He's always been a "my way or the highway" kind of guy with his players. Door's just swinging both ways on that. Management wouldn't let him coach his way so he's gone.

Sloan may never have been a championship caliber coach but that's an exceedingly rare sort. I'd put him at the head of the class of coaches like Nellie or Rick Adelman. Guys who could take a team full of question marks and find a way to spin straw into a playoff team. Not a glamorous as a coach with some rings but still a skill worth celebrating.

Just out of curiousity, what was his record in playoffs series without HCA? For as long as I can remember the Jazz were always one of the toughest teams to face on their own floor.

lefty
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Fucking Deron Williams pulling a Magic Johnson

Fuck him

CP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williams

lefty
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/10/jerry-sloan-and-trophy-th-425.jpg

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Fucking Deron Williams pulling a Magic Johnson

Fuck him

CP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williams

right, cause CP3 didn't get Byron Scott fired

Deron Williams knew he'd never win a championship with a racist coach who hates black players. Smart move for his career to get Sloan fired.

Venti Quattro
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I really think Jerry really wanted to retire already and he took this tiff with Deron as an easy out.

lefty
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Deron Williams knew he'd never win a championship with a racist coach who hates black players. Smart move for his career to get Sloan fired.
Byron Scott sucks

Jason Kidd is the one who led the Nets to the Finals, not Scott.
And Scott ran the Princeton's offense, which he has nothing to do with.

And following that 2008 fluke season, the Hornets had every reason to fire Scott

(I can't blame Scott for what's happening in Cleveland though :lol)

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Byron Scott sucks

Jason Kidd is the one who led the Nets to the Finals, not Scott.
And Scott ran the Princeton's offense, which he has nothing to do with.

And following that 2008 fluke season, the Hornets had every reason to fire Scott

(I can't blame Scott for what's happening in Cleveland though :lol)

Jerry Sloan's 2 finals appearances are no less fluky than Scott's. The 1997 and 1998 Western Conferences were two weak conferences in a transitional phase. The teams that ruled the conference during the early-mid 90's (Suns, Sonics, Rockets) were all declining for one reason or another, while the teams that would rule the West in the 2000's (Lakers, Spurs) had yet to reach full strength. Look at that Jazz team in today's West. A slightly above average defensive team with an offense that would get neutered by any team that defends the pick and roll well. I'd be surprised if it made the conference finals or beat the Spurs, Mavs or Lakers in a 7 game series.

lefty
02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Jerry Sloan's 2 finals appearances are no less fluky than Scott's. The 1997 and 1998 Western Conferences were two weak conferences in a transitional phase. The teams that ruled the conference during the early-mid 90's (Suns, Sonics, Rockets) were all declining for one reason or another, while the teams that would rule the West in the 2000's (Lakers, Spurs) had yet to reach full strength.
Great point :tu

But they still gave fits to the Chicago Bulls in both Finals :D

Look at that Jazz team in today's West. A slightly above average defensive team with an offense that would get neutered by any team that defends the pick and roll well. I'd be surprised if it made the conference finals or beat the Spurs, Mavs or Lakers in a 7 game series.
I would be surprised too

Venti Quattro
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Great point :tu

But they still gave fits to the Chicago Bulls in both Finals :D

Jordan's Bulls weren't exactly athletic freaks during that time, and he himself was already at the tail-end of his athletic peak so it boiled down into a methodical, dragging game which the Bulls were experts at during that time.

redzero
02-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Chris Paul got Byron Scott fired? I thought that he was upset and was still loyal to Scott.

News to me.

lefty
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Jordan's Bulls weren't exactly athletic freaks during that time, and he himself was already at the tail-end of his athletic peak so it boiled down into a methodical, dragging game which the Bulls were experts at during that time.
True, the Bulls had to use all their previous championship experience and craftiness in order to beat the Jazz.

The thing that puzzled me was the fact that Sloan was so stubborn in regards to putting Russel on MJ.

I remember during the Finals, they showed the number of points that Jordan scored on Hornacek vs those he scored on Russell; Horny did a better job defensively on MJ, whereas Russell got torched; I don't know why Sloan stuck with Bryon; yeah he is black, but he wasnt that athletic and his D was average

Old School 44
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
With the perceived blame for Sloan resigning,
I wonder what Deron Williams reception from the Jazz fans will be like when they play tonight. Is he going to be mercilessly booed and ask for a trade the next day?

Hoops Czar
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/02/13/deron.williams.asked.be.traded.interested.signing. mavs.clippers.or.knicks.2012

Just as the Jazz was starting to worry about Williams, who is said to be looking at Dallas, the Clippers or Knicks in 2012. Williams had reached the point with Sloan in the past several weeks where he asked to be traded, according to sources. The Jazz wouldn't accommodate him, but did get a laundry list of complaints from its top player, who had grown tired of Sloan's rigid approach to coaching, dependence on veteran players and what Williams considered to be his outdated demands.
As soon as Sloan stepped down and stories of his rocky relationship with Williams started to circulate, Williams took the hit because he hasn't yet compiled a resume to warrant such power, and Sloan had become as much of an institution in Utah as Karl Malone and John Stockton.

lefty
02-13-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/02/13/deron.williams.asked.be.traded.interested.signing. mavs.clippers.or.knicks.2012
I can't lead my team to a title; trade me; and Sloan is so mean :cry

BRHornet45
02-13-2011, 10:14 PM
ignorant moron with the comment "Chris Paul got Scott fired" ... are you really that stupid? don't you remember the big fiasco and Paul bitching about it? DAVID WEST was happy about Scott being fired, but not Chris Paul. he was pissed.

The TroutBum
02-13-2011, 11:04 PM
I can't lead my team to a title; trade me; and Sloan is so mean :cry

This.