PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs for real? Three very telling, very important stats.

Cry Havoc
12-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Point differential (Season) - #1 San Antonio - 9.0 PPG

Point differential (Last 10 games) - #1 San Antonio - 11.90 PPG

Strength of Schedule (Last 10 games) - #1 San Antonio - .586

Over the last 10 games, we have played the hardest schedule out of anyone in the NBA. Not only have we won, but we've won by a wider margin than any other team in the league. :hat

I think the rest of the league has reason to be a bit concerned about us.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/sort/sosL10

lefty
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Jinx alert !!!!!!!!!!! :madrun

Truckules
12-01-2010, 01:00 PM
LOL at Lakers at number 20

The_Worlds_finest
12-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Get James anderson back, and we stacked

lefty
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Get James anderson back, and we stacked
Damn

I forgot about James Anderson :lol

:spless:

Darkwaters
12-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Wow. Higher than I thought they'd be.

Mavs<Spurs
12-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow . Just wow !

:wow:flag:

the drive for five is alive !

DJB
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Love it.

spursfan09
12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I saw a stat On the ESPN ticker at the bottom. Something like "Spurs looking to become 5th team ever to start out 9-0 on the road. (Other 4 went to finals)"

lefty
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I saw a stat On the ESPN ticker at the bottom. Something like "Spurs looking to become 5th team ever to start out 9-0 on the road. (Other 4 went to finals)"
And championship teams must be able to win on the orad

Blake
12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Manu and Tony (for the most part) have looked fresher than they ever have to start a season.

Solid D
12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Yes, they are for real...as long as their core is healthy. That goes double for Manu.

The stats listed are key indicators of success.

Ryvin1
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Get James Anderson back in the rotation, bring Blair off the bench with Hill, start Tiago and keep
Things rolling! Scary thing is that this team hasn't played to it's full potential yet.

Soo agree with this, I think we can improve on several things, and if that happens... whoa momma.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Get James Anderson back in the rotation, bring Blair off the bench with Hill, start Tiago and keep
Things rolling! Scary thing is that this team hasn't played to it's full potential yet.

Agreed. For some reason, and it's sounds strange, but I really, really miss Anderson and his contributions. It's strange because he didn't play in that many games. However, his contributions were most certainly evident.

Lizard
12-01-2010, 02:35 PM
JA was becoming a good defensive player. He mostly was nailing his three's. I can't wait to see him drive to the basket. Lots if room to grow.

Blackjack
12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Manu and Tony (for the most part) have looked fresher than they ever have to start a season.

As a whole, the team's health and fitness may be better than it has at any time during the Duncan era.

I am wondering, though, if Tony's a little dinged up. He took a couple of falls over the last three or so games and I'm wondering if that may have to do with his decline in play of late.

It's either that or a little lack of focus, which may have to do with the off-court issues, but something's changed.

Not all that worried about it yet. Just something that's been noticeable.

phxspurfan
12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
If we get HCA and play the Warriors in the playoffs, we will go far

Blackjack
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
This team -- if this is the roster we're to see finish the year -- has to have Anderson and Splitter playing significant roles. They're that important for the Spurs championship aspirations.

Even if everything goes right and everyone plays to the best of their ability, I don't believe this team gets over the top without those two. They may not have a huge role compared to others, but it's a crucial one.

SourCandy
12-01-2010, 03:00 PM
As of right now it's stupid for anyone to ignore the spurs. If your a contender team...you are definitely keeping an eye if not both..on san antonio. Lakers are the defending champs of course and we love it. But as a laker fan first cmon...we have a healthy fear of SA.

Good start guys keep it up and see you in the playoffs :p:

p.s leave tiago on the bench :downspin:

4down
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Where is Sequ?

Cry Havoc
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM
This team -- if this is the roster we're to see finish the year -- has to have Anderson and Splitter playing significant roles. They're that important for the Spurs championship aspirations.

Even if everything goes right and everyone plays to the best of their ability, I don't believe this team gets over the top without those two. They may not have a huge role compared to others, but it's a crucial one.

Having Anderson and Manu on the court with Splitter is just scary.

Then to have Neal and Parker teaming up with RJ.

This team has so many weapons. We're never going to see a night when someone isn't hot from the field. Just a matter of finding who.

SA210
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Exactly this, and improve that defense to lock down killer D. If we do that, noone can stop the Spurs. :tu

SA210
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Awesome

Sisk
12-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Link? Or any confirmation of this stat?

lefty20
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I saw a stat On the ESPN ticker at the bottom. Something like "Spurs looking to become 5th team ever to start out 9-0 on the road. (Other 4 Won the finals)"

Fixed :toast

LeCrab
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Link? Or any confirmation of this stat?
It is true they just talked about it on sportscenter

spursfan09
12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
The source was the ESPN ticker, like I saw it.

And it did say "won" didn't it? I wasn't sure.

Darkwaters
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
The source was the ESPN ticker, like I saw it.

And it did say "won" didn't it? I wasn't sure.

:worthy: ESPN ticker

Mel_13
12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
It's true:

69-70 Knicks--12
60-61 Celtics--10
61-62 Celtics--10
93-94 Rockets--9

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tstreak.cgi?request=1&year_min=1947&year_max=2011&lg_id=NBA&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&game_location=R&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=opp_pts&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=ge&c4val=

Holt's Cat
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
You Commies are glossing over the fact that the Spurs rank 21st in opponents' FG% and 29th in opponents' 3PT FG%.

mingus
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
besides splitter, i think JA has to be able to play at least for the Spurs team to beat LA. the reason is RJ can be really off with his 3-point shot. Anderson is a guy that you can put in if that is the case. plus, he was showing tenacity on the defensive end.

Holt's Cat
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
The Spurs are looking like a number of past playoff also-rans who racked up a bunch of regular season wins based on offense and athleticism and then were exposed defensively in the postseason.

Not to mention that they rank 3rd in the NBA in steals. What Spurs team has ever broken into the top 10 in steals and won a NBA championship? That's the surest indicator of a fraudulent defense if there ever was one, though many think it indicates a strong defense.

Spurs Basketball is about forcing opponents into lower percentage shots, challenging every shot, and limiting opponents to one shot per possession. This Spurs team's performance is fool's gold and will be exposed eventually, unfortunately.

Holt's Cat
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Further, the two teams that have beaten the Spurs this season are currently ranked 3rd and 4th in the NBA in opponents' FG%.

Cry Havoc
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
You Commies are glossing over the fact that the Spurs rank 21st in opponents' FG% and 29th in opponents' 3PT FG%.

Right. So just imagine how dominant this team will be when our defense tightens up. We KNOW Pop can get the defense where he wants it.

I'd rather develop the offensive flow and chemistry now and set the D up later in the season. We're 15-2, we have to be doing something right. Just play a little harder on the other end of the court and this team will be unstoppable.

mingus
12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
spurs are playing fine defense for where they are in the season. they're letting they're offense run the show right now. they've been able to play defense when it matters, for the most part. we'll se it pick up as the season progresses. and Tiago hasn't even played a lot. if Tiago can play a kendric perkins role (great interior defense, some scoring), the Spurs will be that much better defensively.

awktalk
12-01-2010, 04:59 PM

No, the Lakers are ranked 3rd. The link had the teams sorted by SoS.

Cry Havoc
12-01-2010, 05:01 PM
No, the Lakers are ranked 3rd. The link had the teams sorted by SoS.

Actually their overall SOS this year is 28th. :lmao

Blackjack
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Tiago is a maybe on that one, Anderson would be a plus. As you said "Even if everything goes right and everyone plays to the best of their ability" then the Spurs would be fine with a Duncan low post, Bonner or McDyess spreading the floor, Tony Parker, Manu, George Hill and RJ clicking on both ends and with Neal shooting well I don't see how this team loses to even the best the Lakers throw at them.

I don't believe Anderson is a plus. I believe -- if the Spurs go with the roster as-is -- he is essential.

Junction James and Splitter are the two upgrades made to this roster that can address the defensive needs of a year ago. Splitter's role would prove to be more prominent because of the position he plays and the competition in front of them, but that backup 3 and defensive player on the wing role is up to Anderson to fulfill.

This team cannot depend or rely upon Bonner to be their first big off the bench (or even second in a lot of cases) and they're going to need someone over 6-2 to give them good defensive minutes on the wing come the playoffs.

Agloco
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Spurs Basketball is about forcing opponents into lower percentage shots, challenging every shot, and limiting opponents to one shot per possession. This Spurs team's performance is fool's gold and will be exposed eventually, unfortunately.

Not based in reality considering the personnel on the team. I'd agree that the opponents FG% needs to come down, and Pops been preaching this in pretty much every post-game interview. It's not going to get much better than it is IMO. To think that the Spurs will ever achieve the defensive prowess that they had in the early 2000s is unrealistic.

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Sure they are. But they still can't beat the Lakers in a seven game series.

Agloco
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM

And what are you basing your observation on? Certainly not anything we've see over the past few nights.....

Manufan909
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM

You just lost to the freaking Wolves, how can you talk smack so soon after?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah I saw that too. :toast Let's hope this is another easy one against the struggling Clippers.

12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
i guess the spurs are going to lose to the clippers now :depressed

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
i guess the spurs are going to lose to the clippers now :depressed
Why would you assume that? Do you think ESPN put a jink on the game when they put that message on the ticker or somethin'? :wow

12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Why would you assume that? Do you think ESPN put a jink on the game when they put that message on the ticker or somethin'? :wow
espn jinxes everything. first they were all high on the heat. then the heat starting losing bad. espn resumes praising the lakers and then they start losing. then espn turns to the hornets and suddenly the hornets start sucking.

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 07:13 PM
And what are you basing your observation on? Certainly not anything we've see over the past few nights.....

bro if we based Laker regular season games as a barometer of success then they would have gone ringless in 2000-01, 2001-02, and 2009-10. Let the record also show that the Lakers are a much different animal when Bynum is playing. Say what you want about his injuries, but he's played the last 40 or so playoff games, and his mere low-post presence has aided us to back-to-back titles.

You just lost to the freaking Wolves, how can you talk smack so soon after?

I'm not talking smack, and if you're gonna come at me at least know who we lost to first, you momo

GSH
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
The Spurs are looking like a number of past playoff also-rans who racked up a bunch of regular season wins based on offense and athleticism and then were exposed defensively in the postseason.

Not to mention that they rank 3rd in the NBA in steals. What Spurs team has ever broken into the top 10 in steals and won a NBA championship? That's the surest indicator of a fraudulent defense if there ever was one, though many think it indicates a strong defense.

Unfortunatly, a lot of what you said there was dead on. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about where they will be at the end of the season, though. That second half against NO was one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen - especially considering how the Hornets were rolling in the first half.

You're right about steals in general. They usually come from gambling on defense, which is not Pop's style. The Spurs have never ranked high on steals in the Popovich era. When you gamble on defense and miss, you're going to give up easy points. The Spurs' defense under Pop has never been about individual effort.

I've been concerned about that stat, too. BUT... deflections are something else entirely. A lot of the Spurs' steals, historically, have come from deflections that happen to bounce the right way. Get enough deflections, and you'll get your share of steals. And the ones that don't turn into steals still disrupt the hell out of the opponents' offense.

So I started paying attention to it, and the Spurs are getting an obscene amount of deflections. Some of their steals are coming from defensive gambles, but a lot of them they are getting the old fashioned way.

I'm convinced that the increase in steals isn't a negative. A lot of the increase in their opponents FG% is coming from high-percentage second chance shots, and uncontested 3 pointers. If they can tighten up a little in those two areas, they will be truly scary.

For the record, if Dajuan can figure out that he doesn't have to go straight back up with EVERY offensive board (or go for a tip-in), it will be worth several points per game. And on the defensive end, he has to understand that sometimes he has to box out and let somebody else get the rebound. Those two things alone would give us extra possessions, and relive some of the doubts about how we will fare against the Lakers and Celtics.

The Spurs are already playing well enough that they can worry about things that will give them an extra possession or two per game. Blair could do that without much effort at all.

TD 21
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
This shouldn't even be a question. It's clear this is one of the top couple of teams in the league. In this calendar year, I'm pretty sure they have the best regular season record and point differential in the league. What more do they need to do to prove to people that they're a legit contender?

GSH
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
What more do they need to do to prove to people that they're a legit contender?

They have to be able to beat the current NBA Champions in a 7 game series. Boil everything else down, and that's the question. I think they have the pieces to do it, if they avoid injuries.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Amen.

Let us also not forget something else. The Fakers have, besides having probably the NBA's best starting five and the most length, they now have a stacked bench. Like a lot of upper-echelon teams, they WILL find their niche and begin to play better.

It will be interesting to see these two teams lock horns now - and later on down the line.

Seventyniner
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
And championship teams must be able to win on the road

Unless you're the 2008 Celtics; they managed to lose their first 6 road playoffs games (3-9 on the road overall in the postseason) and won the title anyway.

ChuckD
12-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Where is Sequ?

Sequ is a troll. He won't be back until there is a little kink in the machine.