PDA

View Full Version : French woman takes TP to court

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
French woman takes Tony Parker to court

A French woman, who filmed a home video of Tony Parker shooting baskets in a parking lot at age 12, sought $1m from the basketball star in a Paris court.

Christiane Debieuvre, a family friend, shot the scenes in 1994 at her home in France's northern Normandy region and claims her father handed over the footage to a television station without her consent.
The candid footage of the young Parker showing off his hoop dreams in northern France has since turned up in reports on several French television news and sports channels.

"I have given this family a lot," Miss Debieuvre told a Paris court.
"At first, I was surprised that they were using this footage without asking me," she testified.

Miss Debieuvre said she wrote to Parker, who is married to the Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria, but that he never responded to her complaint.

Alexis Gramblat, Parker's lawyer, said the plaintiff was simply trying to cash in on the wealthy San Antonio Spurs guard.

"This is simply a racket targeting someone who is from a modest milieu and who became successful," said Mr Gramblat.

Parker lived a short distance from Miss Debieuvre's home and he was a frequent visitor, along with his brothers.

The video shows young Tony pretending even at age 12 to play for the Spurs.
The court will give a decision on June 4.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7677066/French-woman-takes-basketball-star-Tony-Parker-to-court.html

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
what the fuck? How can she take Parker to court when it was her own father that gave it to the TV station without permission?

edit....

I see that it the footage was in his movie.

Darthkiller
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
french people are on crack

Cane
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Good to know that frivolous lawsuits don't just happen in the USA.

LMAO at the profile pic pose if this is her, could just be another person with the same name though:

http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?oid=AAAAAwAgACAAAAAK9CMW41kFJ97jO1gS8-C0HcuSB5NlutFYE8S4Bf4CEM5U9vzHHjZCAr-M9ecWYPo8ylV_YiJlj7sYhLy8VUgy6taU4MFzzLKcf1Z25Rni8 aD3A1JuP3r-fYfrTLpp9CKW&size=normal

http://www.facebook.com/people/Christiane-Debieuvre/1532854060

lefty
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Lol wut ?

WTF

Mais elle se prend pour qui cette conne, putain de bordel de cul qui pue le caca

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
So basically this lady's suit says Tony owes her $1 million dollars over something her dad did. Yeah that makes sense.

NFGIII
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Simply another example of going after deep pockets IMHO.

BS lawsuit and I think it will be canned.

lefty
05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Must be another Nowitzki's ex that Dirk is using in order to mess the team uo

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
So basically this lady's suit says Tony owes her $1 million dollars over something her dad did. Yeah that makes sense.

If he is using the footage in his movie, and did not get permission from her, her dad, or the TV station that the dad gave it to, then it would be unauthorized use of copyrighted data.

ElNono
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
If her father is the one that turned the video over, she should be suing her dad, not tony...

RampageNate
05-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh THAT TP... I thought she was just extra prepared.

lefty
05-06-2010, 12:49 PM
If her father is the one that turned the video over, she should be suing her dad, not tony...
True, but Tony is the one who has the $$$$$$$$$$, so....

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Good to know that frivolous lawsuits don't just happen in the USA.

LMAO at the profile pic pose if this is her, could just be another person with the same name though:

http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?oid=AAAAAwAgACAAAAAK9CMW41kFJ97jO1gS8-C0HcuSB5NlutFYE8S4Bf4CEM5U9vzHHjZCAr-M9ecWYPo8ylV_YiJlj7sYhLy8VUgy6taU4MFzzLKcf1Z25Rni8 aD3A1JuP3r-fYfrTLpp9CKW&size=normal

http://www.facebook.com/people/Christiane-Debieuvre/1532854060
:lol

Lol wut ?

WTF

Mais elle se prend pour qui cette conne, putain de bordel de cul qui pue le caca

:lol

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 12:50 PM
If he is using the footage in his movie, and did not get permission from her, her dad, or the TV station that the dad gave it to, then it would be unauthorized use of copyrighted data.

Sad but true.

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM

You lost me. How is Tony using the footage? Is there more to the story than what got included in the article? Because according to the article the only ones using the footage are TV stations.

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
This is just a crazy woman, its like his lawyer said she is trying to cash in on the wealthy tony Parker. Plus, if she decides to suit anyway, then she needs to be suing the father and there is no basis I think because the on the footage it's tony parker himself and the footage has been handed over by her to tp's family, so she cant do anything.

Of course her lawsuit wont have any effect, but its shitty for TP having to deal with this for nothing.

RampageNate
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Money grab!

greyforest
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
shouldn't she sue her father?

lefty
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
shouldn't she sue her father?
You mean Parker's father?

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
You lost me. How is Tony using the footage? Is there more to the story than what got included in the article? Because according to the article the only ones using the footage are TV stations.

Tony created a new movie right? From what I understand about that article, he is using footage that this lady filmed, in said movie, without her permission.

Allanon
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
So much for being "a family friend".

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM

no, he means her (lawsuit lady) father

Kori Ellis
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Tony created a new movie right? From what I understand about that article, he is using footage that this lady filmed, in said movie, without her permission.

Where does it say he used it in the movie?

greyforest
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Christiane Debieuvre, a family friend, shot the scenes in 1994 at her home in France's northern Normandy region and claims her father handed over the footage to a television station without her consent.

No

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Upon the third read, I guess it doesn't. I assumed that to be the case, because why else would she have a lawsuit against Tony?

Kori Ellis
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Upon the third read, I guess it doesn't. I assumed that to be the case, because why else would she have a lawsuit against Tony?

Because he has money :lol

lefty
No
my bad

coyotes_geek

If Tony is making a movie then maybe there's something to this. But I didn't see anything in the article about Tony making a movie.

NRHector
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
she is the one that should be paying Tony

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Here's another report from French newspaper. It's translated with google so it can be a bit odd.

A former neighbor of Tony Parker claimed 800,000 euros after it broadcast an amateur video

Tony Parker was 12. Filmed on a small car in Normandy, he scored baskets and dreamed already of being a member of the San Antonio Spurs ... Sixteen years later, these images are at the heart of a conflict between the basketballer and the neighbor who shot this film and it now demands nearly one million euros. "It's a story that would be almost amusing if it were not so sad and disgraceful," was upset Tuesday at the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris Gramblat Mr. Alexis, who defends the French playmaker of the San Antonio Spurs .

At issue, therefore, the video tour of a few minutes March 6, 1994 by Christiane Debieuvre. This friend of Tony's father was living in Normandy four kilometers from Parker. Frequently, she welcomed her home for the holidays Tony and his brothers. In the movie, we see the future star of the France team to play basketball with a neighbor in the parking lot of the residence Christiane Debieuvre. Ironically, in the game, he played for the Spurs! "Amateur video fun today.

The film, "they used it more than most. It's normal that I am being angry!", She was indignant Tuesday following the hearing. Today, she believes that Tony Parker and his father have had to ask his approval prior to furnish a copy of the video to Canal +. Since, and lots excerpts were broadcast: on France 2, Stage 2 in the broadcast on TF1, on the show Eight Seven, Canal +, M6 and Infosport. Broadcasts which are still very marginal by Parker's lawyer father, Dominique Legros.

According to him, on a 27 hour broadcasts of the NBA basketball player between 2001 and 2007, only 1 minute and 55 seconds were devoted to the video in question. Either "6956 euros per second!" In view of the 800,000 euros demanded by today Debieuvre Christiane for forgery. "People think they have rights because they have seen a celebrity in their childhood," but "absolutely scandalous", has outraged me Gramblat. For him, "it is simply extortion against someone from a modest background who managed to make his way" and that "we are trying to extort money."

On the other side of the bar, Mr. Cedric Putigny-Ravet preferred side stressed "moral" or "feeling" of this story. "I have given much to this family," added her client. "At first, I was surprised" that they use these pictures without telling me. So, "I wrote them," but "they ignored me, despised me." Gradually, it increased its claims, eventually claiming 800,000 euros in damages and interest, or "less than a month of revenue from Tony Parker. Mercantile, she said, yet not be. Proof: These images of the first tournament of Tony Parker, she said she had kept and never tried to cash out. Deliberations June 4

Phenomanul
05-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Tony should counter-sue... for child exploitation... :lol

"Why is this lady filming me at the age of 12..? I didn't give her my consent..."

NFGIII
05-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Good point and I thought the same thing. And if it is used in the movie from whom did they obtain it? If from the TV station then I think TP is in the clear, regardless of how she feels about the footage. If I not mistaken if the footage was given by her father to the TV station and said station gives prermission for TP to use it then case closed.

The weak link here is the father IMHO. He's the one that is responsible for the footage getting out and into other people's hands.

Phenomanul
05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Did anybody else catch that? That Tony was already pretending to play for the Spurs?

Pero
05-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Did anybody else catch that? That Tony was already pretending to play for the Spurs?

Yeah. Next thing we'll hear is that Parker was actually genetically engineered to suit the Spurs. :lol

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

I saw his movie this week and there were short sequences from when he was little and i think i saw him wearing spurs related clothes, at least it looked like that. I could be wrong.

spursfaninla
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
the woman's father is not using it, Tony is. However, he might have been led to believe he had permission to use it, making his use of it reasonable. If he produced stuff relying on the fact that her father had permission to give him permission, he might have a good defense. It raises the question of whether a 3rd party who appears to have authority to consent can relieve some or all liability. This is a question of french law.

Here, she could get something like the profits proportional to the impact that her piece of footage had for the product. So if the footage was 1% of the film, but was really important to the film, damages would go from there. I don't know what you get when it is not for profit, like for marketing. They would want some very hard to prove percentage of tony's general marketing sales. That would be a really hard case to prove, lots of experts.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
the woman's father is not using it, Tony is. However, he might have been led to believe he had permission to use it, making his use of it reasonable. If he produced stuff relying on the fact that her father had permission to give him permission, he might have a good defense. It raises the question of whether a 3rd party who appears to have authority to consent can relieve some or all liability. This is a question of french law.

Here, she could get something like the profits proportional to the impact that her piece of footage had for the product. So if the footage was 1% of the film, but was really important to the film, damages would go from there. I don't know what you get when it is not for profit, like for marketing. They would want some very hard to prove percentage of tony's general marketing sales. That would be a really hard case to prove, lots of experts.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. There's been nothing said that Tony was using the footage for anything. Just that her father had given it to TV stations, etc without her permission. No one has said that Tony used the footage in his film.

crc21209
05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Talk about just wanting to get some money outta someone because they have it. WEAK. :td

blkroadrunners
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Money Talks.

spursfaninla
05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure what you are talking about. There's been nothing said that Tony was using the footage for anything. Just that her father had given it to TV stations, etc without her permission. No one has said that Tony used the footage in his film.

The film, "they used it more than most. It's normal that I am being angry!", She was indignant Tuesday following the hearing. Today, she believes that Tony Parker and his father have had to ask his approval prior to furnish a copy of the video to Canal +. Since, and lots excerpts were broadcast: on France 2, Stage 2 in the broadcast on TF1, on the show Eight Seven, Canal +, M6 and Infosport. Broadcasts which are still very marginal by Parker's lawyer father, Dominique Leg..

Tony and his dad got the footage from HER dad, and they have furnished it to different news outlets and perhaps are using it in his video.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-06-2010, 07:01 PM
One would assume that the producers got a release for any footage they used in the movie that they did not create themselves. If not, they have only themselves to blame, and she probably has a good case. This is basic to the business of producing commercial images/videos. You don't "assume" you have permission.

It's somewhat unclear from the news stories who is the producer/owner of the film and whether that person is, or has business ties to, Tony Parker. It's also unclear whether they got a release from the father, and the daughter is claiming he was not the rightful owner, or whether the daughter is just suing because they used the footage without authorization of any kind.

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Its unclear indeed of the footage was used for the movie and nothing is said about the movie, I think if it was then something would have been mentioned about the movie in the report. On the other hand, the movie was made or supported and aired by canal + and canal + is mentioned in the report, so maybe they are hinting at the movie.

But its irrelevant really wether its about the movie or not. Tony Parker didnt do anything wrong here. I mean the footage was given of her family to tp's family and the footage is of tony parker himself, so he has the right to use it especially if it has been given to his family. I dont know the exactl laws in France about this, but I dont think its illegal.

That said, this woman is probably just trying to cash in on TP's wealth at his expense, she sees this as a chance. There are alot of crazy f*cked up people in the world getting brutal when they see someone close or closer to them is having a lot of money.

Russ
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Re: French woman takes TP to court.

I thought it was poor Lolo. :depressed

Baseline
05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Aha! So this is why Pop is playing Bonner so many minutes - he's nervous about the upcoming "verdict" from this lawsuit, and has therefore lost his mind.