PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers be fortunate enough to survive the Jazz...

SomeCallMeTim
05-05-2010, 11:56 PM
...what would be the most entertaining possible Laker series matchups?

vs. SA = interesting. man these teams have matched up so much in the Kobe/Duncan era. this would be the 7th. always respect the Spurs. wouldn't mind it but would prefer...

vs. PHX = compelling. The Suns were the last team to take the Lakers out before the Finals and they did it twice. I know a lot of Laker fans will say that's ancient history, Phx is irrelevant, but I don't buy it. This is unfinished business for LA and I guarantee Kobe/Phil want payback against Nash/Amare/Barbosa. Could be a great series, LA won the season series 3-1 but that was before the Suns turned it up a notch to end the season.

vs. ATL = zzzzzzzzzzz

vs. ORL = rematch would be OK but guessing most of the rest of NBA fandom would dread it, not exactly a premier matchup.

vs. CLE = very very interesting. Once LeBron gets one title it seems a given he'll get a bunch. Can the Lakers keep him ringless? A lot of people think this is the best matchup but I say not even close because...

vs. BOS = now this is the prize, at least from a drama standpoint. Maybe not the best basketball but it's hard to imagine two teams trying harder to kill each other.

D-Wade #3
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Orlando, because they are very underrated

SomeCallMeTim
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Orlando, because they are very underrated

Only team in the POs that hasn't looked like crap for at least one game.

Yeah, no one seems to believe in this Orlando team. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them get to the Finals again.

Giuseppe
05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
We can stay in front of everybody, cept Orlando.

Though whoever is there at the end ain't going to be an easy clean.

lil_penny
05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
i really think orlando is alot better than last year from what ive seen so far.. if them and the lakers where to meet in the finals i think we would see a pretty good series.

21_Blessings
05-06-2010, 12:22 AM
The Lakers are a better team than the last year as well especially defensively. And Bynum is playing at a higher level.

TheMACHINE
05-06-2010, 01:24 AM
itll be funny if Orlando busts a Cleveland and go undefeated in the playoffs only to get buttfucked in the ECF. :lol

Girasuck
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
The Lakers are a better team than the last year as well especially defensively. And Bynum is playing at a higher level.

No. Not even close.

TampaDude
05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Orlando is the best team in the playoffs right now. Either Cleveland or Boston is in big trouble.

SomeCallMeTim
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
No. Not even close.

Probably right. Better defensively but the decline in offense more than offsets it, it seems.

Last several games have given a lot more reason for hope, though, as the offense has looked much, much better against an excellent defensive Thunder team and an above-average Utah defense (admittedly with injuries and matchup problems).

I waited patiently for the Lakers to finally click offensively.... never really happened. Could it be happening now? Wouldn't bet on it to last but I can dream...

SomeCallMeTim
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Orlando is the best team in the playoffs right now. Either Cleveland or Boston is in big trouble.

Orlando quietly put up the best "predictive" numbers as they finished #2 in offensive rating and #1 in defensive rating. No other team even comes close to that on both sides of the ball. They didn't get a lot of notice for it because everyone was fixated on how great the Cavs looked while assuming LA is also a better team because they beat them last year in the Finals.

It just seems no one takes this team seriously, I guess losing 4-1 on the big stage including an epic choke in one of the games will do that. Thing is, that series was closer than 4-1 indicates... we'll never know what would've happened if Courtney Lee would've made that alley-oop or if Derek Fisher would've missed a "miracle" three... but one can imagine.

In any event, they seem to be a better team this year.

mogrovejo
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Only team in the POs that hasn't looked like crap for at least one game.

Yeah, no one seems to believe in this Orlando team. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them get to the Finals again.

I've been saying that Orlando is the best team in the NBA for long. They will be the favourites in every series they play.

The Lakers most difficult path to the title would be Spurs + Orlando, then Spurs + Cleveland (I think that the addition of Jamison makes the Cavs a less formidable matchup versus the Lakers), then Spurs + Celtics. I think the Lakers (or any other WC team) chances in the Finals would be pretty reduced though, barring major injuries for the Eastern top-3 teams.

Allanon
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Magic will probably be the hardest matchup for the Lakers.

Nuggets, Blazers, Mavs had the best chance of busting up the Lakers in the WC but they're long gone.

The remaining 3 (Spurs, Jazz, Suns) are the most advantageous matchups for the Lakers this season.

Gaddabout
05-06-2010, 01:51 PM
If Lopez is healthy, the Suns would have a puncher's chance against the Lakers. Not because Lopez is a great matchup against Bynum, but it allows Stoudemire to wreak havoc in the lane. Gasol wants no part of Stoudmire and Odom can't stay mentally checked in long enough to to stick with him in a 7-game series.

Giuseppe
05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Then they'd put Gasol on Lopez and keep Bynum on Amare.

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Then they'd put Gasol on Lopez and keep Bynum on Amare.

Bynum owns Amare

ChrisRichards
05-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Orlando will crush the Lakers. Los Angeles is a horrible road team. With a format of 2-3-2, LA must win at least 2 games at Amway Arena.

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Orlando will crush the Lakers. Los Angeles is a horrible road team. With a format of 2-3-2, LA must win at least 2 games at Amway Arena.

Winning 2 at Amway is not far-fetched. This is, however, the playoffs. What happened in the regular season stays in the regular season and tucked away as insignificant.The Magic swept the Lakers last season in the regular season only to be exploited in the finals (of course, because of my bias, this is when it is significant :lol)

If the Lakers remain healthy, I like their chances even with a 2-3-2 format.

Giuseppe
05-06-2010, 08:17 PM

You have some gd nerve even being in here with us men talking after what your team did, Chris. You SOB, you. Go over on the big board and cry with those babies:

"Oh,the Suns are so good, I hope they put us out of our misery soon."

"Oh, we deserve what we're getting, but, still it hurts."

"Oh, my asshole feels like the Lincoln Tunnel, oh."

"Oh, if we lose, I'll still be proud of our Spurs"

"E-Mc2" - Ln (he's over there slumming).

Giuseppe
05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
kobe is the greatest closer in the playoffs of all time. He has closed out more teams while on the road than any other player ever...ever!

ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisRichards
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
You have some gd nerve even being in here with us men talking after what your team did, Chris. You SOB, you. Go over on the big board and cry with those babies:

"Oh,the Suns are so good, I hope they put us out of our misery soon."

"Oh, we deserve what we're getting, but, still it hurts."

"Oh, my asshole feels like the Lincoln Tunnel, oh."

"Oh, if we lose, I'll still be proud of our Spurs"

"E-Mc2" - Ln (he's over there slumming).

:rollin

Culby, you're a son of a gun you. Tee, hee.

ChrisRichards
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Kobe is the greatest closer in the playoffs of all time. He has closed out more teams while on the road than any other player ever...EVER!

Kobe's record is 1-2 in the Finals as the main guy. Hardly great.