PDA

View Full Version : With Tony out, will the Spurs dress only 11?

lurker23
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
With Parker and Finley injured, as well as Hairston in the D-League, the Spurs only have 11 players able to take the court. When Tony went down, one of these three things seemed likely:

1. The return of Finley
2. Hairston called up to big club
3. Signing of a 15th player, likely a back up PG to a 10-day contract.

Seeing as how there's no rumblings on any of these, are we to assume that Pop is fine with his shorter rotations and Spurs will play no more than 11?

Dex
01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
With Parker and Finley injured, as well as Hairston in the D-League, the Spurs only have 11 players able to take the court. When Tony went down, one of these three things seemed likely:

1. The return of Finley
2. Hairston called up to big club
3. Signing of a 15th player, likely a back up PG to a 10-day contract.

Seeing as how there's no rumblings on any of these, are we to assume that Pop is fine with his shorter rotations and Spurs will play no more than 11?

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on number 1.

Since Hill was starting at the 2, we've now got a gap with him sliding to the 1. My bet is that Pop either brings Bogans back in to start (ugh), or inserts Mason into the starting lineup.

I highly doubt Manu stops coming off the bench, but even his minutes will be adjusted to fit into the point-gaurd lineup.

With all of the 2s taking over for point guard minutes, that's going to leave some open time at shooting guard. I'd definitely look for increased minutes for Mason and Bogans, but seeing Finley return to fill some of that time would not be a big surprise.

ulosturedge
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Let Hill and Manu take care of PG duties and bring Malik up! Ofcourse this won't happen, but one can always wish right.

Chomag
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Pop seems to out right refuses to give Hairston minutes. So I doubt he would play let alone be called up. Even if we were down to 8 players.

I wish I could say I was overexaggerating but... lol

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I would prefer #2, but #1 is a lock IMO..

Finley should be back from the longest ankle sprain recovery in history tonight or Sunday IMO..

I'd prefer Hairston, obviously because I'm a big fan, but more importantly, we're going to need a wing defender since Hill is gonna be putting in more energy at the point in these next few games..seems logical IMO..I think the Spurs can call up Hairston 2 more times IIRC..

Signing somebody is a bad move IMO..I know Hill isn't considered a real PG, but he should be able to handle the load for like 3 games, which isn't much..

bigdog
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I think Finley will probably be back. I doubt Pop will call up Hairston.

8FOR!3
01-29-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't even want to know. I've never liked what Pop does with the lineups and how he puts people out on the court. One of my only dislikes about the guy.

crc21209
01-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Make way for Pop's man crush.....at Power Forward.....#4...... Michael Finleyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! :lol

TD 21
01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I would prefer #2, but #1 is a lock IMO..

Finley should be back from the longest ankle sprain recovery in history tonight or Sunday IMO..

I'd prefer Hairston, obviously because I'm a big fan, but more importantly, we're going to need a wing defender since Hill is gonna be putting in more energy at the point in these next few games..seems logical IMO..I think the Spurs can call up Hairston 2 more times IIRC..

Signing somebody is a bad move IMO..I know Hill isn't considered a real PG, but he should be able to handle the load for like 3 games, which isn't much..

I agree, Hairston should be called up for depth purposes (it's funny, he's always up when there's no chance or reason to play him meaningful minutes, yet now that an opportunity is there, he's down), but Jefferson can easily play more minutes and take on more responsibility than he has.

exstatic
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Don't the Spurs usually call up roster players from Austin for the RRT? That would mean the return of Malik.

z0sa
01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
.....at Power Forward.....

:lol

z0sa
01-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Finley confirmed active. Thanks 228 for the relay.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
I could've sworn I saw Hairston on the bench in street clothes a couple of games ago?

exstatic
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I could've sworn I saw Hairston on the bench in street clothes a couple of games ago?

You did. Austin probably didn't have a game that night.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
The Toros had a big break for a while, so I guess Hairston was with the Spurs for a few days..

exstatic
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
The Toros had a big break for a while, so I guess Hairston was with the Spurs for a few days..

I don't believe he was called up, but as a roster player, I believe he's entitled to sit with the team any time he's in town.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't believe he was called up, but as a roster player, I believe he's entitled to sit with the team any time he's in town.

Ya he is..they're allowed to call him up like 3 times in the year IIRC, they've called him up once so far..it only counts if he's actually active IIRC..