PDA

View Full Version : Lebron, MVP and DPOY? Finest season ever?

ChrisRichards
01-24-2010, 12:49 AM
This is not an overreaction thread about his game winning block on Kevin Durant. Mind you he has been domainating defensively on clutch situations (blocked Pau Gasol's attempt too a few nights ago) Also, nevermind the fact that he had another typical night (37 pts, 12 asts, 9 rebs) but he's just beasting it right now. He's having one of the best PER in league history (better than his MVP season!) and he's leading his team to monumental wins despite not having 3 key role players (Delonte West, Mo Williams and Jamario Moon) so far.

I dont think there has been a unanimous Best Player/MVP in the league this decade. And what's surreal is that Lebron was 2nd in DPOY votes last year, so I wont be surprise if he actually wins the DPOY award too this year. His competitions are Dwight (who BTW has'nt been very effective this year, defensively) and Gerald Wallace. But Wallace unfortunately will not get a lot of votes due to star power.

This season, Bron could win MVP,DPOY and possibly win the title and NBA Finals MVP too. (Record breaking PER could be in consideration as well)

mystargtr34
01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
He has had alot of highlight reel blocks and defensive plays. But on a consistent basis, there are more deserving players.

ChrisRichards
01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
He has had alot of highlight reel blocks and defensive plays. But on a consistent basis, there are more deserving players.
I wont disagree. IMO Wallace and Duncan should get it. but then again, Bron is ESPN's boytoy. he gets the spotlight. he's the leagues Golden Child. Media loves the kid.

All tangibles are there.

23LeBronJames23
01-24-2010, 12:54 AM
MVP, DPOY and a Ring. how about a Highest PPG too?

Can you imagine that?

ChrisRichards
01-24-2010, 12:58 AM
MVP, DPOY and a Ring. how about a Highest PPG too?

Can you imagine that?
Nah, Lebron has never been that type of player. Id imagine he'd end up with a 30 ppg, 8 rebs, 7 apg 50% fg.

JamStone
01-24-2010, 01:29 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/AJInferno/1252397677216.png

TinTin
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
woah, didn't know moon was an integral roleplayer on that team

redzero
01-24-2010, 01:57 AM
LeBron just being more efficient than Kobe Bryant ever was. No surprises here.

JoeTait75
01-24-2010, 02:01 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/AJInferno/1252397677216.png

He's a true great, Jam. If he wins MVP every year it's hard to argue.

namlook
01-24-2010, 02:05 AM
LeBron just being more efficient than Kobe Bryant ever was. No surprises here.

Let LJ be more efficient while Kobe keeps collecting and polishing his rings. :king

JoeTait75
01-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Let LJ be more efficient while Kobe keeps collecting and polishing his rings. :king

Kobe as an 18-year old rookie on the 2003-04 Cavaliers. Go.

Trainwreck2100
01-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Kobe as an 18-year old rookie on the 2003-04 Cavaliers. Go.

He would have just forced a trade. Stop.

JoeTait75
01-24-2010, 02:17 AM

Thank you.

Def Rowe
01-24-2010, 02:19 AM

And thank God for that. :lobt2:

23LeBronJames23
01-24-2010, 02:22 AM
He's a true great, Jam. If he wins MVP every year it's hard to argue.

Whos troll is JamStone?

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 02:35 AM
I dont think there has been a unanimous Best Player/MVP in the league this decade.

Probably cuz this decade practically just started. :rolleyes

redzero
01-24-2010, 02:40 AM

Which doesn't mean anything, because Kobe has the better teammates.

Kevin Durant 35
01-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Probably cuz this decade practically just started. :rolleyes

:lol

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Lebron is having the best season in the history of basketball now?

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:08 AM

I'll bet it means something to Lebron. We all saw how upset he was when the Magic steamrolled his team that won 66 games.

Tell Bill Russell his rings don't mean anything. Wilt put up flashy stats and Russell took home the rings. But according to your logic Russell's rings don't mean anything because he had better players than Wilt did. LOL.

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 03:11 AM

Yah...and those rings Magic has dont mean anything either cuz he had teammates. Same with Larry Bird....those rings dont count too.

redzero
01-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Tell that to Bill Russell. Wilt put up flashy stats and Russell took home the rings. But yeah, Russell's rings don't mean anything because he had better players than Wilt did. LOL.

No, you're talking shit about Kobe getting the rings even though he piggybacked shack for three of them and didn't play nearly as well as LeBron did in the playoffs for the fouth.

mavs>spurs2
01-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Now I'll admit I haven't watched too many Cavs games this year, but unless his defense has improved EXPONENTIALLY in the past year, he's just an above average defensive player with some nice highlight reel plays. No where near a lock down defender, sorry. Great complete overall player though. A future top 10 all time.

Chieflion
01-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Now I'll admit I haven't watched too many Cavs games this year, but unless his defense has improved EXPONENTIALLY in the past year, he's just an above average defensive player with some nice highlight reel plays. No where near a lock down defender, sorry. Great complete overall player though. A future top 10 all time.
If I remember correctly, he ranked 2nd in DPOY rankings to Dwight Howard last season and his opponent PER was probably in single digits (LeBron James). He kept his opposing player to many unproductive nights. He slacked off this season but is still a top defensive player.

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:16 AM
No, you're talking shit about Kobe getting the rings even though he piggybacked shack for three of them and didn't play nearly as well as LeBron did in the playoffs for the fouth.

Shaq couldn't win a ring without a top 5 player. Kobe won with Gasol who will never sniff an all-NBA first team. The offense ran through Shaq when he played with Kobe because he was a physical mismatch for everyone, but when the game was on the line and it mattered most Shaq was virtually useless and it was always Kobe who closed the games out. Shaq had to piggyback Kobe to get the wins.

redzero
01-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Shaq couldn't win a ring without a top 5 player. Kobe won with Gasol who will never sniff an all-NBA first team.

Who performed better in the playoffs last year: Kobe or LeBron?

mavs>spurs2
01-24-2010, 03:20 AM
If I remember correctly, he ranked 2nd in DPOY rankings to Dwight Howard last season and his opponent PER was probably in single digits (LeBron James). He kept his opposing player to many unproductive nights. He slacked off this season but is still a top defensive player.

But enough to warrant DPOY? I mean he's a better perimeter defender than guys like Battier? I just don't buy it. No one has enough energy to expend to play that kind of lockdown defense on one end, and be a 30ppg and 8 assist distributor on the other. In no way am I knocking Lebron, but I don't think he deserves DPOY. MVP + DPOY would just be another ESPN dream dick sucking fest.

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Who performed better in the playoffs last year: Kobe or LeBron?

The player that led his team to a championship. Numbers don't mean anything if wins are not attached to them. Lebron's team won 66 games in the regular season. He had the talent around him to win more regular season games than any other team, so there are no "I didn't have enough good players" excuses when you lose in the playoffs.

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 03:26 AM
If we gave Lebron teammates like Wade and Carmelo Anthony how would you think he would do?

Bronze medal maybe? LOL

redzero
01-24-2010, 03:26 AM
The player that led his team to a championship. Numbers don't mean anything if wins are not attached to them. Lebron's team won 66 games in the regular season. He had the talent around him to win more regular season games than anyone else so there are no "I didn't have enough good players" excuses when you lose in the playoffs.

I love when people say this as if LeBron's teammates actually showed up in the playoffs.

LeBron obviously play better than Kobe did in the playoffs, but Kobe homers think that having Gasol and Bynum to stop Howard makes Bryant a better player.

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 03:28 AM
I love when people say this as if LeBron's teammates actually showed up in the playoffs.

LeBron obviously play better than Kobe did in the playoffs, but Kobe homers think that having Gasol and Bynum to stop Howard makes Bryant a better player.

hmm...so if Lebron had better teammates, he would get a championship right? Then after the championship, Lebron haters can say "Lebron coudnt win without better teammates"....see what i did there?

Chieflion
01-24-2010, 03:30 AM
If we gave Lebron teammates like Wade and Carmelo Anthony how would you think he would do?

Bronze medal maybe? LOL
Revisionist history at its best. They never got enough minutes to make their impact felt. And they were just players who just finished their 1st season in the NBA. Plus, it was not the only time the USA team failed to get gold in international games before the Olympic games.

redzero
01-24-2010, 03:32 AM
hmm...so if Lebron had better teammates, he would get a championship right? Then after the championship, Lebron haters can say "Lebron coudnt win without better teammates"....see what i did there?

I'm not hating on Kobe. The fact is that Kobe's team matched with Orlando better than LeBron's did, regardless of how well either of them played. Kobe didn't do anything in that Orlando series better than LeBron did, outside of putting whoever was guarding him in foul trouble.

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Revisionist history at its best. They never got enough minutes to make their impact felt. And they were just players who just finished their 1st season in the NBA. Plus, it was not the only time the USA team failed to get gold in international games before the Olympic games.

Whats your excuses for the 2006 Fiba team?

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm not hating on Kobe. The fact is that Kobe's team matched with Orlando better than LeBron's did, regardless of how well either of them played. Kobe didn't do anything in that Orlando series better than LeBron did, outside of putting whoever was guarding him in foul trouble.

im not hating on Lebron either...thats why i wasnt going to post on this thread until i see someone downgrading Kobes accomplishments because "he has better teamates"...which is dumb cuz thats what you need to win a championship.

YES, Lebron needs better teammates, but in NO WAY is his teamates a bunch of scrubs either.

redzero
01-24-2010, 03:46 AM
im not hating on Lebron either...thats why i wasnt going to post on this thread until i see someone downgrading Kobes accomplishments because "he has better teamates"...which is dumb cuz thats what you need to win a championship.

YES, Lebron needs better teammates, but in NO WAY is his teamates a bunch of scrubs either.

Kobe and LeBron both did what they had to do in the playoffs. I just take exception to the people who put Kobe higher or brag about championships when the situation was completely out of LeBron's hands. LeBron's teammates did play well in the regular season, but it was all LeBron, all the time in the playoffs.

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Lebron needs better teammates to win a championship because he's not good enough to win without having a lot of good players around him. This is no different than all the other great players in NBA history.

mavs>spurs2
01-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Kobe and LeBron both did what they had to do in the playoffs. I just take exception to the people who put Kobe higher or brag about championships when the situation was completely out of LeBron's hands. LeBron's teammates did play well in the regular season, but it was all LeBron, all the time in the playoffs.

Pretty much this. Lebron is a better overall player than Kobe IMO today. His presence brings much more of an influence to the game than Kobe's does overall. The Lakers we're starting to look pretty mediocre at one point back when Pao was out.

namlook
01-24-2010, 03:50 AM

And maybe that was part of the problem!

Maybe Lebron was trying to do too much in the playoffs vs the regular season. If you are dominating the ball too much your teammates end up sitting around watching and it's no longer a team game.

You need to play a team game to win and that means allowing your teammates to have the ball and make plays too. And that doesn't mean just passing to them when they have an open shot. Being a team player is not just passing to guys when you draw a double team, it's passing to them when you don't have one too. It means letting them control the ball and the pace of the game at times.

The ball always seemed to be in Lebron's hands each time down the floor. Let some of those guys make some plays while you draw a defender away from them. So what if it means your stats go down a little. Kobe has learned this. He put up 35 PPG one year and was doing too much. Some players need to establish a rhythm to play well and that means getting touches and moving the ball around to them, not just Lebron making plays on his own and not just passing to them when Lebron draws a double team.

Killakobe81
01-24-2010, 04:22 AM

A great PER doesnt mean squat and I do think he has the potential to someday pass MJ but finest season ever?
You youngsters dont know shit ...

Killakobe81
01-24-2010, 04:24 AM

Maybe Lebron was trying to do too much in the playoffs vs the regular season. If you are dominating the ball too much your teammates end up sitting around watching and it's no longer a team game.

You need to play a team game to win and that means allowing your teammates to have the ball and make plays too. And that doesn't mean just passing to them when they have an open shot. Being a team player is not just passing to guys when you draw a double team, it's passing to them when you don't have one too. It means letting them control the ball and the pace of the game at times.

The ball always seemed to be in Lebron's hands each time down the floor. Let some of those guys make some plays while you draw a defender away from them. So what if it means your stats go down a little. Kobe has learned this. He put up 35 PPG one year and was doing too much. Some players need to establish a rhythm to play well and that means getting touches and moving the ball around to them, not just Lebron making plays on his own and not just passing to them when Lebron draws a double team.

Efficent or not if Kobe did this ^ yall would crucify him ... or just say it is mike Brown's fault ...

DAF86
01-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Lebron needs better teammates to win a championship because he's not good enough to win without having a lot of good players around him. This is no different than all the other great players in NBA history.

True, but he probably needs less talent around him to win it all than most great players.

DAF86
01-24-2010, 05:05 AM

Lebron does that more than most superstars, a lot more than Kobe for sure.

Ghazi
01-24-2010, 10:03 AM
damn I didntknow Bron was shooting 50.9% on the year

and a ridiculous 1.49 PPS

rhyputa
01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I say stop the madness

Sportstudi
01-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Lebron is having the best season in the history of basketball now?

He's having a great season, no doubt about that. But greatest season ever? For instance I remember Jordan putting up 32.5 ppg/8 rpg/8 apg and 2.9 SPG in 1988/89.

BRHornet45
01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
son this IS an overreaction ... please stop taking everything those tools on ESPN tell you so serious.

there are AT LEAST 6-8 other players WAY MORE deserving than Lebron.

DxB
01-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Rings? Like plural? We'll see when he wins his second.

rhyputa
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
son this IS an overreaction ... please stop taking everything those tools on ESPN tell you so serious.

Son you're reasonable this time, but you shall name those 6-8 guys then you'll be more reasonable :toast

Cane
01-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Lebron's easily the best player in the league for at least the past two seasons now so he's got a lock for the MVP.

As for DPOY he's probably got a decent chance especially if he finished second last year. The defending DPOY, Dwight Howard, has been having a pretty lackluster season compared to last year. James is also a pretty good help defender and can make highlight reel blocks as seen last night and throughout the season. However the DPOY, more than almost any other NBA award, can be seen as a a joke since Duncan's never won one.

My Fault
01-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Lebron is performing just as he did in the Orlando series which itself was amazing.

JoeTait75
01-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Son, let's see the names of those 6-8 players, please.

TheMACHINE
01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
True, but he probably needs less talent around him to win it all than most great players.

Lebron does that more than most superstars, a lot more than Kobe for sure.

We'll never know. Maybe the first time he wins a ring comes with Wade as his sidekick?

Win one...then we'll compare his teamates. Should we crucify Duncan cuz he had great teammates?

BRHornet45
01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Son you're reasonable this time, but you shall name those 6-8 guys then you'll be more reasonable :toast

son for DPOY I think you have to strongly consider ... Wade, Howard, Paul, Battier, Artest, Rondo, and yes even Birdman Anderson. Am I leaving anyone out?

Chieflion
01-24-2010, 10:59 AM
son for DPOY I think you have to strongly consider ... Wade, Howard, Paul, Battier, Artest, Rondo, and yes even Birdman Anderson. Am I leaving anyone out?
Gerald Wallace.

Ghazi
01-24-2010, 11:39 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Cane
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Then it definitely goes to Lebron James. :hat

rhyputa
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Don't be so sensitive, he meant Paul Pierce:lmao:lmao:lmao

ffadicted
01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
MVP, sure. DPOY.... get the fuck out of here and stop caressing LeCrab's balls like the media does

namlook
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
The media should have never been allowed to vote for DPOY. They don't really know who plays the best defense. The head coaches should be the ones that vote for DPOY. They already vote for the all-defense teams.

Allanon
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Consolation prizes.

kingmalaki
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah there are better defenders than Bron, but none of those worthy folks will ever make the All D 1st team over him or Kobe (guys like Battier for example), so why would anyone expect them to win DPOY?

As far as the rings, silly argument unless you think Kobe wins s title with any team LeBron has ever been on.

Lars
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Lebron as DPOY is a fucking travesty. Ive never seen a lazier defender in my life. So many better choices than him.

jdev82
01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
why does the media think that all great offensive players are great defenders? d wade is lazy and plays the passing lanes, howard is a poor single coverage defender because he is dumber than a toasted bagel, lebron is a poor defender, kobe takes too many risks and is a terrible close out defender, chris paul is one of the worst in the game and RAJON RONDO for some reason is getting DPOY mentions. does anyone watch him play on d? did anyone watch him against rose last year? one of the worst defensive performances ive ever seen period.

HeyIt'sMe
01-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Howard is #1 in DWS and #1 in defensive rating, and the Magic are top 7 again in defense despite having a less than stellar defensive cast surrounding him. He hasn't been as good as last season, but he certainly hasn't been lackluster in that area.