PDA

View Full Version : NBA Preparing Twitter Guidelines

duncan228
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
NBA preparing Twitter guidelines (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-nbasocialnetworking090309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

NBA commissioner David Stern told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday the league will soon follow the NFL in announcing Twitter guidelines and other social media restrictions for its players and coaches.

“Obviously, there is a happy medium between tweeting before the game and tweeting from our bench during the game,” Stern said by phone. “You want to make sure that pop culture doesn’t intrude on what brought us here, which is the game, and that we show the right respect for the game.”

The NFL announced its own guidelines on Monday by restricting players, coaches and football operations personnel – or anyone representing them – from using social media networks like Twitter and Facebook from 90 minutes before kickoff to the end of traditional media interviews after games. NFL game officials are banned from using social media at all times.

Stern described the NBA’s guidelines as “nothing too serious.”

“We just need to make sure when it’s OK to Tweet and when it’s not OK to Tweet so it at least focuses around the game,” he said. “It would look unusual for a guy sitting on the bench to pick up his cell phone, and I think we can agree that he probably shouldn’t be writing e-mails. It’s not about Twitter; it’s about the line of communication. That’s what we’re focusing on.

“We’re happy to let it play out to see if it merits all the attention that it’s getting. We don’t want to overreact.”

National Basketball Players Association spokesperson Dan Wasserman said the union would reserve comment until the league officially introduces its guidelines. But Wasserman did express concern that individual teams also could issue their own restrictions, which could conflict with those of the league.

One Western Conference executive said his team already planned to give its players a set of guidelines upon their arrival at training camp later this month.

“We’ve had discussions regarding the development of a team policy that would not interfere with a player’s ability to dialogue with fans via social networking, but would deter or prohibit such dialogue from taking place during ‘business hours’ at and around the workplace, time surrounding games, practice, team-related events, etc.,” the executive said. “We would also attempt to address the matter of our players utilizing social network vehicles to release team-related news and business information.”

Detroit Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva made headlines last season while playing for the Milwaukee Bucks when he tweeted at halftime of a game. Bucks coach Scott Skiles ordered Villanueva not to do it again. Cleveland Cavaliers center Shaquille O’Neal used his Twitter account to give away tickets in Phoenix last season – and take shots at Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. O’Neal now has more than 2.1 million followers on his Twitter account.

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love announced the firing of coach Kevin McHale on Twitter. The NBA has its own Twitter account with more than 1 million followers.

Still, the rapid escalation of social networking among players has some team executives concerned. Boston Celtics free-agent guard Stephon Marbury recently hosted a bizarre 24-hour live webcast in which, among other things, he admitted to smoking marijuana. Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley also recently posted a picture that contained a couple of suspicious-looking baggies, then tweeted, “Feelin like it’s not worth livin!!!!!!! I’m done.” The incident preceded news that Beasley had been admitted to a Houston rehabilitation facility.

Stern said the Beasley and Marbury incidents concerned him, but he also admitted the league can’t issue a blanket restriction on how players use social media networking when they’re away from their teams.

“You can’t stop them,” Stern said. “It may not be the smartest thing they ever did. But league-wide we have to place a line in what they can and cannot do. We’re looking for the things not to regulate.

“People are going to do unwise things. You might not like what you see, but that doesn’t mean you can go around telling people they can’t engage in the activities that yield [those posts]. Players do videos, players are on YouTube, players are instant messaging, players are tweeting, players are on Facebook. They are just like everyone else. They are allowed to do that. The question is judgment and discretion. You can’t legislate that.”

fevertrees
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
You don't see the NHL or MLB having to make TWITTER GUIDELINES

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2009, 04:32 PM
noone wants to follow MLB or NHL players, thats why :smokin

BRHornet45
09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
sons Kenyon Martin updated his twitter ...

KenyonMartin: yea dawgs I just robbed some ole lady in da Chevron parking lot. off to get some more blunts now. ain't trickin if u got it!

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
sons Kenyon Martin updated his twitter ...

KenyonMartin: yea dawgs I just robbed some ole lady in da Chevron parking lot. off to get some more blunts now. ain't trickin if u got it!
chick in sig?

BRHornet45
09-03-2009, 06:33 PM
chick in sig?

son her name is Frenchy. google dat hoe

duncan228
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Meanwhile, over at the Sporting News...

Top NBA Tweets: September 3 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-topnbatweetsseptembe&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Chris Bosh: Question… Why does everyone ask me what I'm doing in 2010 when I keep saying I don't know? I'm just curious.

Detlef Schrempf: a chupacabra has been captured near Blanco, Texas? I saw Bigfoot up in Bellevue yesterday! :)

JaVale McGee: jokeoftheday what kind of bees make milk? Boob Bees…lol

Nick Collison: If i had a handlebar moustache then cut off the top leaving the sides and called the look the "absolute value stache" would it be cool?

Rudy Gay: You know how I know Chauncy Billups is old? He called Jay-Z jigga and P Diddy puffy lol

Top NBA Tweets: September 4 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-topnbatweetsseptembe&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Julian Wright: singers, rappers, songwriters, music lovers check out my myspace music page. New songs! It's time to get it. www.myspace.com/midiusick

C.J. Watson: Keep gardening and your front and back yard will look splendid! (constant maintenence people!)

Chris Douglas-Roberts: Wow. My man from Oregon knocked homeboy out from Boise St. Hahahahahahahahaahahaahahahaahah!!! Now he hates to lose

Kevin Durant: Watchin "Push"..Dakota Fanning look like she been 10 yrs old for a loooooong time

Cedric Ceballos: Get up people its time to knock on this mountains door. Hello, its me. I will b running, walking n hiken up n down Ur hills for awhile.

duncan228
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Stern Ready to Bring Order to NBA Tweets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-sternreadytobringord&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

All dreams must die at some point. It's called waking up and going to work, or having someone knock you out of proverbial reverie and tell you the rent's due.

So it was with a heavy heart that, catching up today, I read the report from Marc J. Spears over at Yahoo! that Stern will announce player guidelines for Twitter and other social media:

“Obviously, there is a happy medium between tweeting before the game and tweeting from our bench during the game,” Stern said by phone. “You want to make sure that pop culture doesn’t intrude on what brought us here, which is the game, and that we show the right respect for the game.”

The bad news is that this follows in the footsteps of the quasi-fascist NFL. The good news? It pertains mostly to when players can and cannot tweet:

“We just need to make sure when it’s OK to Tweet and when it’s not OK to Tweet so it at least focuses around the game,” he said. “It would look unusual for a guy sitting on the bench to pick up his cell phone, and I think we can agree that he probably shouldn’t be writing e-mails. It’s not about Twitter; it’s about the line of communication. That’s what we’re focusing on."

But what about the the other stuff, the wacky slice-of-life/stream-of- consciousness goldmine that we here have made a daily feature (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/tag/160299/nba_twitter) out of? In typical Sternian fashion, the man's taking a calculated risk (or perhaps asserting authority while leaving a glimmer of hope—you never can tell with him): “We’re happy to let it play out to see if it merits all the attention that it’s getting. We don’t want to overreact.”

Good news for us, and anyone else who thinks these often inane, always revealing dispatches are the next frontier of player/everyone else interface. As for the Memphis fans upset at Hasheem Thabeet's excessive chattiness (http://www.memphisflyer.com/BeyondtheArc/archives/2009/09/02/the-tweets-of-thabeet-a-dissenting-voice), well, you'll just have to hope another Jennings-like crisis forces Stern to crack down harder.

duncan228
09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
A Few Points on Twitter and the NBA (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-44-14/A-Few-Points-on-Twitter-and-the-NBA.html)
by Kevin Arnovitz
TrueHoop

Where do you begin to write the history of pro sports and social media? That's debatable, but for me it was a day in 2007 when I read Curt Schilling's personal breakdown of his start against Kansas City (http://38pitches.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/curt-schilling/general/2007/04/02/game-1-4207-kc/#more-52):

Started Dejesus off with some fastballs, which felt like they got more life as I started to throw. Got in on him for a fly ball to right. Grud worked the count to 3-1, laying off the first change at 1-1, and a FB down and away ended up middle in for a hard single to left. Had Teahan down quick and left a split up for another single 1-2 (I think). First pitch slider to Sweeney didn't slide, bad miss. Next slider was better and he stayed on it and hit it hard to right to load the bases. Gordon worked a 7 pitch AB, and chased a good split down for out #2. A lengthy AB from Shealy, saw me go to the split 3-2 which he took for ball 4 to walk in a run. I can't remember if I ever done that? Made a lot of mistakes inside this one AB and it ended up costing us.Overthrowing some balls when I had a chance to end the AB earlier and missing spots too badly to even get him to offer. Gload went 0-1 on a FB away and then I got in on him with a 1-0 cutter for the final out. 33 pitches, bases loaded walk, 1-1 game.

Here was a high-profile major leaguer who was obliterating the filter between athlete and fan. Who needs to read a recap when you can get the nuances and specifics of what happened in the game straight from the guy at the center of it?

Schiling's work on his blog became so prolific that the Onion published a story headlined, "Curt Schilling To Start LiveBlogging From Mound (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/curt_schilling_to_start)." The Onion's prime feature is absurdity, which is why Charlie Villanueva's halftime tweet (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3990853) fewer than 24 months later was such a revelation. In two years, real life had caught up with satire.

On Thursday, David Stern told Marc Spears that the league will institute some sort of Twitter policy (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-nbasocialnetworking090309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):

Stern described the NBA's guidelines as "nothing too serious.”

"We just need to make sure when it's OK to Tweet and when it's not OK to Tweet so it at least focuses around the game,” he said. "It would look unusual for a guy sitting on the bench to pick up his cell phone, and I think we can agree that he probably shouldn't be writing e-mails. It's not about Twitter; it's about the line of communication. That's what we're focusing on.

"We're happy to let it play out to see if it merits all the attention that it's getting. We don't want to overreact.”

The immediate takeaway from the story was that the NBA is "cracking down" on Twitter, but when you read Stern's comments more closely, they're somewhat reassuring: The league is taking a cautious approach to regulating social media.

You can argue that censorship is a slipppery slope and an entity as image-conscious as the NBA will inevitably clamp down on liberal use of social media by players. That may or may not happen in the near future.

Let's hope not:

* The NBA's best ambassadors will always be its players, and media like Twitter have enabled them to connect with the league's most valued customers on an unprecedented level. Simply put, Twitter has made the NBA more fun to follow over the past year. Stern told Spears that, "You want to make sure that pop culture doesn't intrude on what brought us here, which is the game, and that we show the right respect for the game." I'm not certain that conflation is correct. For one, "pop culture" and social media aren't the same thing -- any more than pop culture and television. Twitter is a delivery system, a means of transmission.

Second, it's disingenuous to suggest that "the game" has been more important to the growth of the NBA than popular culture -- and this is coming from someone for whom x's & o's is the prime draw of the pro game. Stern knows this. There's a reason the NBA markets its personalities and overarching narratives more than the Lakers' pinch-post action. However many good reasons exist to prohibit players from posting status updates while they get their second-quarter breather, the intrusion of pop culture into the game's bloodstream isn't one of them.

* Media like Twitter create a free market for players to present their true selves. For as long as pro sports have been around, fans have had to trust intermediaries to distinguish the good/likable guys from the putzes. Twitter offers a better and more unfiltered way for players to project themselves -- and for fans to make value judgments. People are complicated. The more those complexities can be understood, the better off we are. DeAndre Jordan is a great example of a guy who came into the league with a pre-defined persona: He was an immense talent who dropped to the second round because he was a head case, uncoachable, and not very bright. What we've learned about Jordan -- largely through his forays into social media -- is that these snapshot judgments were unfair. Jordan is clever, committed, and endearing. He's also 20 years old. Were there missteps at College Station? Yes (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/sports/ncaabasketball/17jordan.html?_r=1). But any appraisal of Jordan as a "bad guy" is incredibly stilted. But you know what? That's for you to decide. And thanks to social media, the fan has much more information to work with if he wants to make that call.

* Vehicles like Twitter will undoubtedly embarrass the NBA from time to time (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/26042/social_media_biting_back_at_brandon_jennings). But for every instance that a player bombs on his Twitter feed, there will be countless tweets, blog posts, and who-knows-what's-nexts of guys communicating lucidly, intelligently and with the worldliness that the NBA wants from its athletes. Trust the players and trust the fans.

* Use of social media is eclipsing the corporate endorsement as the single most effective means for an athlete to market himself. Given that the NBA has a vested interest in its players' marketability, it should recognize that reality and run with it. I'm pretty certain the NBA recognizes this feature of social media and has placed it on the plus side of the ledger.

Here's a question: Will use of social media be an issue in negotiations of the next collective bargaining agreement? It follows that NBA players want full use of any tool that allows them to realize their monetary value in the marketplace. Social media does that -- and it's likely that the players' union won't take kindly to any attempt to limit an athlete's capacity to capitalize on his brand.

* The innovators will always be a step ahead of the regulators. Few of us -- and probably no one with the NBA -- anticipated the explosion of this technology. In a couple of years, Twitter will inevitably be replaced or supplemented by something more potent and far-reaching. The idea that you can contain communication with prohibition seems futile, doesn't it?

* The best course of action for the NBA on this issue might be a little federalism. If the use of social media's greatest hazard is the disruption of the team, then let the coaches and management set policy for their respective teams no different than they do music in the locker room.

Few products have benefited more from the rise of social media than the NBA. Media like Twitter have allowed the league's personalities to beam their inner lives unfiltered to the world. That has to be scary for those charged with the responsibility of managing the NBA brand. The best thing they can do is harness this power, and ride it to its full potential.