PDA

View Full Version : If Manu goes down...

Old School 44
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
...do we still have a shot at winning it all?

I keep seeing different articles that mention how Manu's health is the key to our season. I love Manu, and would rather have him playing, but I don't think it's the same as last year. We knew without Manu we weren't going deep in the playoffs. This year, with the depth we have, I think if Manu went down, we still have a decent shot. Of course, it depends on how the new players fit in and develop.

We're much better with Manu, but our season, does not rest solely on his healthy return.

ducks
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
lets see jefferson blair as spurs first
it also depends on health of other teams

oh and it helps if pop says spurs can still win without manu

The_Game
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
without Manu spurs are pretty much the same as last year..out in the first round or depending who they play might win a round but not close to a contender.

Old School 44
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
without Manu spurs are pretty much the same as last year..out in the first round or depending who they play might win a round but not close to a contender.

You don't think Jefferson could potentially fill Manu's role as the third option on the team? I just don't think the outlook is that bleak without him.

The_Game
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
You don't think Jefferson could potentially fill Manu's role as the third option on the team? I just don't think the outlook is that bleak without him.

Spurs will still be very good if RJ produces and fills that 3rd scorer role but with other teams getting better in the west I think it is unlikely. Manu although isn't a superstar his scoring and energy is a big reason for Spurs success. If he gets hurt again they have no chance at challenging L.A.

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
RJ typically would be enough insurance. But with how all of the top teams now have "Big 4's", I do not think it would be enough if every other contender remained fully healthy.

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
We'd still beat anybody outside of the elite, but no chance at all against LA, Boston, Orlando, or Cleveland..

InK
08-24-2009, 02:33 PM
We should just close the forum down for a month or so, every single topic is getting recycled over and over and over again.

Old School 44
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
With all the new faces, I think it would be premature to just write us off if Manu goes down. Who knows how Jefferson is going to play? Likewise, with the development of Blair and the further growth of Hill.

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Think of it this way OS44:

Even if RJ fits in perfectly and plays at an extremely high level, he will not be a better fit than a healthy Manu. Manu is a great player and has experience in winning.

If the Spurs had a healthy Manu, but no RJ, that would still not be enough to beat the elite teams. So, even if RJ plays to the best of his abilities, he will not be a better fit than Manu and without Manu (or equivalent player), the Spurs cannot win a title.

Old School 44
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Think of it this way OS44:

Even if RJ fits in perfectly and plays at an extremely high level, he will not be a better fit than a healthy Manu. Manu is a great player and has experience in winning.

If the Spurs had a healthy Manu, but no RJ, that would still not be enough to beat the elite teams. So, even if RJ plays to the best of his abilities, he will not be a better fit than Manu and without Manu (or equivalent player), the Spurs cannot win a title.

I hear ya, but it's just not only RJ coming to the Spurs. What about McDyess, Blair and maybe even Haslip?

ducks
08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
We'd still beat anybody outside of the elite, but no chance at all against LA, Boston, Orlando, or Cleveland..

who knows what magic will be like without hedo
who created for others
boston is a year older
will kg be healthy
la kobe is getting lots of games under his belt
rember straight from highschool
kg broke down last year

lets see this spurs team then see
sure manu out would hurt
but spurs got more incase he is hurt AGAIN

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Those just replace the guys the Spurs lost. They were nice moves (some are very big unknowns though) and the other top teams brought in guys who can easily be argued as better.

So at best it was a wash and the Spurs were already behind. In order to make up ground, you must clearly go above and beyond.

All of the moves combined certainly put the Spurs in the conversation, but if there is an injury to a guy like Manu and if he cannot be replace adequately, the Spurs have a very slim chance at winning a title.

They can still be a very good team, but the goal is to win it all.

Dex
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Holy crap, am I ready for this season to start...

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Ducks:

They did get more, but it was to add to, not for insurance as many have claimed. I think the Spurs know they had to add to, even if Manu was completely healthy.

cheguevara
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
without Manu spurs are pretty much the same as last year..

yeah because Finley, Bonner, KT, Bowen = RJ, McDyess, Blair, Hairston

:bang :bang

Grundle
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
We're not beating LA without Manu. We might not even beat them with him... but definitely not without.

JudynTX
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
:bang Ugh

jb4g
08-24-2009, 03:34 PM
no manu = no ring.

I expect him to play like a beast however, contract year, he knows he let the FO and team down last year, he has a lot to prove and i think he is going to respond in fine fashion

MaNuMaNiAc
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
hopefully, we don't have to find out...

kace
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM
well, last year, without RJ, Blair and Dice, i thought we had a chance in the PO without manu. so, this year, i should think it even more.

though, i was wrong last year :lol

mookie2001
08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
i dont know if it will be the playoffs, but manu will get hurt this season and miss games

you have to just hope he'll break his fragile ass sometime in feb or march so we can just forget about him and throw a real team out there

parker and rj would have to both score 25 a game for us to have a chance

Extra Stout
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Even if everybody is healthy and playing well come playoff time, the Spurs still would be slight underdogs against a healthy Lakers squad.

If somebody is out, like Manu, the Spurs are cannon fodder.

ducks
08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Even if everybody is healthy and playing well come playoff time, the Spurs still would be slight underdogs against a healthy Lakers squad.

If somebody is out, like Manu, the Spurs are cannon fodder.

you know this how?
have you seen rj and the new comers play yet?

TD 21
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM

How are the Spurs "pretty much the same as last year" when they're vastly different? Taking out Manu then meant resorting to Mason being the third scoring option/second creator on the perimeter, Finley getting extended run, and Bowen and Udoka, two extremely limited offensive players, fitting into the wing rotation on a consistent basis. Taking out Manu now means Jefferson, a clearly competent third scoring option/second creator on the perimeter, will fulfill many of Manu's responsibilities, Mason getting extended run, and Finley fitting into the wing rotation on an consistent basis. Clearly, they're more capable of dealing with his loss this time around, and that's just on the wings.

McDyess, Blair, and possibly one of Ratliff/Mahinmi/Haislip, figure to make the front court significantly better, and Hill figures to be better as the backup point guard in year two. This is a team that could still win a round, possibly even two, but that would be as far as they could go.

ohmwrecker
08-24-2009, 06:53 PM
This thread makes me want to punch kittens.

Strike
08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
This thread makes me want to punch kittens.

It's not the thread...

08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
spurs would still be pretty good without ginobili. they still won 54 games with a series of injuries, including a ten or so game stretch without parker and ginobili. ginobili only played about half the season yet the spurs still finished third, with the same record as the nuggets. and this was all without the dramatic improvements of the off season. obviously for a good championship run, the spurs wouldn't be worse with ginobili. but depending on how the new players mesh and how the returning players improve, spurs can still make a deep push in the playoffs without ginobili. their chances of reaching the finals would probably be around 15-25%. still higher than last year but not very good odds.