PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Wizards Tidbit

Galileo
06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
It says on ESPN that Manu could go to the Nets?

For who?

I can't read the article because I am not an insider!

:wow

UPDATE: Oops, it is the Wizards. Sorry.

Galileo
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
OOPS! It says the Wizards! Who the hell do they have! Arenas?

timvp
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
It says Wizards and that is old news.

The San Antonio Express-News reports there was a rumor that the Washington Wizards made a trade offer for Manu Ginobili this month.

"People get in trouble when they say never," Gregg Popovich said Wednesday.

"But Manu Ginobili is someone I cannot envision trading. He has been such a huge part of our heart and soul; people like that are hard to come by. You don't even think about trading somebody like that. I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded."

Libri
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
:lol

lcroock
06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59740/20090611/wizards_make_offer_for_ginobili/

If it's Butler + #5 I think the Spurs would consider it...I probably would not but it's definitely not lopsided.

Spur-Addict
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59740/20090611/wizards_make_offer_for_ginobili/

If it's Butler + #5 I think the Spurs would consider it...I probably would not but it's definitely not lopsided.

Yeah, I agree, that's something definetly worth considering.

Ditty
06-11-2009, 01:32 PM

i would do it :downspin:

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
i would do it :downspin:

So would I. So would the Spurs.

RiverwalkParade
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
You have to pull the trigger in that trade. I love Manu, but Parker has show signs of being a great closer in close games, a role traditionally played by Ginobilli. Not only do you get a comparable piece in Butler, but a potential building block for the future in the number 5. Do salaries match or does it need sweetener?

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
You have to pull the trigger in that trade. I love Manu, but Parker has show signs of being a great closer in close games, a role traditionally played by Ginobilli. Not only do you get a comparable piece in Butler, but a potential building block for the future in the number 5. Do salaries match or does it need sweetener?

Ginobili matches Butler perfectly. The #5 pick counts as $0.

RiverwalkParade
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Pop did say that the trade offer was, "a helluva player for a helluva player." That has to be Butler...but that was during the season. Chances are if they are dangling the #5, the player(s) have been downgraded.

Spur-Addict
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM

I think Gino makes roughly 1 Mil per year more. Caron may also be under contract one extra year. Which means he's on the books for the 2010 bonanza.

RiverwalkParade
06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Wizards may be offering Butler and James (a contract they are trying to unload apparently) for Gino, Oberto and Bowen. Better deal for the Wizards then if the cut Fabs and Bruuuuuce. But you're right, Butler's deal has an extra year to it. May be a minor kink, still worth it though.

TheProfessor
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
So would I. So would the Spurs.
In a heartbeat.

MB20
06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Butler and #5 ? mmm....
Pull the trigger!

mudyez
06-11-2009, 02:23 PM
dont see them trading butler+#5

they want to get rid of some big contracts, but they could move butler any time without including the pick

I have to say, that even I would pull the trigger, but I bet that manu will retire as a Spur!

2Cleva
06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Would SA accept Jamison and 5?

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Would SA accept Jamison and 5?

I doubt it. He's older than Ginobili and has too big of a contract.

lcroock
06-11-2009, 02:39 PM
While Butler is talented and this trade looks good on paper, how would Butler fit in with SA? He needs the ball to score...he is more of a post up and isolation player than anything (as opposed to pick and roll/spot up shooter), which might not work well with TP and TD. Manu also brings intangibles that Butler does not, so you have to consider everything. It will come down to whether the Spurs truely believe Manu can make it through the season without being out for long stretches. Washington probably would not even make this trade in any case (i.e. Butler + #5 for Manu + whatever else).

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
While Butler is talented and this trade looks good on paper, how would Butler fit in with SA? He needs the ball to score...he is more of a post up and isolation player than anything (as opposed to pick and roll/spot up shooter), which might not work well with TP and TD. Manu also brings intangibles that Butler does not, so you have to consider everything. It will come down to whether the Spurs truely believe Manu can make it through the season without being out for long stretches. Washington probably would not even make this trade in any case (i.e. Butler + #5 for Manu + whatever else).

While Butler does need the ball to score, that's something the Spurs need. There's too many players on this team who can only score when Tim or Tony create a scoring opportunity for them. Butler would be a good fit here. You're right about the intangibles, I doubt the Spurs would trade Manu for Butler straight up, but if it were Butler and the #5, you've got to pull the trigger on that.

All that being said, you're right that Washington wouldn't offer Butler and the #5 for Manu.

Mr. Body
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't see how that helps Washington. Although the draft is crap and that #5 is worth maybe as much as a #20 in a normal draft.

Spur-Addict
06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Butler can do just about anything on offense. Plus, he's a good defender and rebounder. You have to appreciate his physical style at the 3/2 positions. He can close games as well. He's playoff tested etc.

A good portion of the time Manu has the ball to score in dribble drive situations, so this is no different from Butler.

rayray2k8
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I am sadden to see how many people are willing to part with Ginobili... But it makes sense.
Personally, I wouldn't do the trade, but it it would keep our window open much longer..

Spur-Addict
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I am sadden to see how many people are willing to part with Ginobili... But it makes sense.
Personally, I wouldn't do the trade, but it it would keep our window open much longer..

Yes. Sometimes Love and Logic don't mix.

ffadicted
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I'll be the one to say it.

Fuck Butler and the #5 pick, I want a healthy ginobili back next year

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll be the one to say it.

Fuck Butler and the #5 pick, I want a healthy ginobili back next year

We all want a healthy Manu. But Butler is an all-star and with the #5 pick you've got to be thinking you're going to get to draft an all-star. I like Manu as much as the next guy, but how do you not trade him for two all-stars?

Again all this being purely academic because Washington would be stupid to offer that deal.

rayray2k8
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Usually news that comes up about the spurs doesn't happen.. So don't lose sleep over it guys..

dubross
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
butler and the #5, I would do it in a heartbeat. It makes our team a lot younger. Who knows someone like James Harden or Demar derozen may be available with that pick or we can get Manu back after next year...hahaha

tim_duncan_fan
06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I would bust a nut off a picture of R.C. if he would get us Caron Butler and a lottery pick for Manu.

MaNu4Tres
06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
No way Wizards would offer Butler and the 5th for Manu. Can anyone think of why in hell the wizards would do that? I can't

MaNu4Tres
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
What makes the most sense for both teams would be... The number 5 pick + McGee + Young +Blatche for Manu. IMO

For the fact that I highly doubt Wizards would include Butler for Manu. And for the fact that I highly doubt Spurs would take on Jamison's absurd contract that runs through 2013 at 15 million.

RiverwalkParade
06-11-2009, 05:10 PM
What makes the most sense for both teams would be... The number 5 pick + McGee + Young +Blatche for Manu. IMO

For the fact that I highly doubt Wizards would include Butler for Manu. And for the fact that I highly doubt Spurs would take on Jamison's absurd contract that runs through 2013 at 15 million.

This probably the most logical offer, I agree. It seems unlikely that the Wizards would couple the 5th pick with Butler. That is a rebuilding trade and not a win-now trade. Spurs are in win-now mode.

ss1986v2
06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
caron + #5 is beyond pipedream.

the highest i could see the wiz going would be #5 + blachte/young + stevenson/songalia. and even that im not sure they offer.

clubalien
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Ginobili matches Butler perfectly. The #5 pick counts as $0.

pull the trigger and then have manu declare is retirement :)

xtremesteven33
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Trading Manu would be like the climax scene from "American Me"

"Dont look at me!"

rayray2k8
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Haha.
After reading everything it that's been posted, there's no proof of Jamison or Butler being mentioned in the trades. Or the 5th pick for that matter...
So Manu is here to stay. :toast

21_Blessings
06-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Lmao at Spurs fan actually thinking Butler would be included with the number 5 for Manu. Hilarious shit really. Especially considering Butler is a better all around player that can actually stay healthy at this point in their careers.

Haha.

IronMexican
06-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Lmao at Spurs fan actually thinking Butler would be included with the number 5 for Manu. Hilarious shit really. Especially considering Butler is a better all around player that can actually stay healthy at this point in their careers.

Haha.

He's about 5 years younger, too. At this stage in their careers, I'd take Butler over Manu without really thinking about it.

coyotes_geek
06-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Haha.

Suggest you revisit Caron Butler's injury history. He's got his own issues.

Games played the last 3 years:
Butler - 188
Ginobili - 193

lefty
06-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Haha.

Butler better all around?

Are you retarded or what?

Manu is more versatile, is a much better passer. defender and 3 pt shooter

21_Blessings
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Butler better all around?

Are you retarded or what?

Manu is more versatile, is a much better passer. defender and 3 pt shooter

You're a retarded homer if you think Manu is a better defender. Butler is easily the better defensive player and rebounder. So yes, he's a much better all around player than Manu at this point.

21_Blessings
06-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Games played the last 3 years:
Butler - 188
Ginobili - 193

And Butler has almost 2000 more minutes played the last 3 years.

jcrod
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Haha.

Says the homer who got Gasol for what?

Big P
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
And Butler has almost 2000 more minutes played the last 3 years.

Butler= starter

Manu= 6th man

ducks
06-12-2009, 05:39 PM
No way Wizards would offer Butler and the 5th for Manu. Can anyone think of why in hell the wizards would do that? I can't
because they are the wizzards
they maxed gilbert and should have low balled him ticked him off and then did a sign and trade

21_Blessings
06-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Butler= starter

Manu= 6th man

Two thousand more fucking minutes. If Manu even attempted that both ankles would fall off. Which is why the games played comparison doesn't work. Manu isn't capable of playing those kind of minutes even if he wanted too.