PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan Will Play, And Other Notes From Shootaround

duncan228
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Duncan will play, and other notes from shootaround (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

* Tim Duncan is expected to play against the Jazz tonight, after Gregg Popovich pulled him from Wednesday's loss to Portland. Duncan is wrestling with a pair of sore knees and is considered day-to-day, everyday.

* Popovich said he will be happy to see his buddy, Jerry Sloan, for the first time since the Jazz coach's election into the Hall of Fame. "That probably should have happened a long time ago," Popovich said. "You knew it was going to happen at some time. What a great career, what a great example of persistence."

* The key to getting by the Jazz? Same as it's been since Karl Malone and John Stockton (another newly minted HOFer) were in too-short shorts: Defend the pick and roll. These days, however, it's Carlos Boozer/Paul Millsap picking for Deron Williams. Williams is the head of the snake here. "You have to contain D-Will, try to stay in front of him," Tony Parker said. "He's going to try and create for the whole team."

* Ian Mahinmi made an appearance at shootaround this morning -- surprising, since he was assigned to Austin last week. Popovich characterized Mahinmi's visit as personal, and not professional. "Ian's visiting with us today, saying hello to everyone, and we're saying hello to Ian," Popovich said. "It's not a situation where he's coming back with the team to play. He's still recovering." Mahinmi had surgery on his right ankle in January, but the Toros are hopeful he might be able to contribute during the D-League playoffs.

* In non-shootaround news, the Toros' Quin Snyder has been named the Developmental League's Coach of the Year. He's certainly deserving, having kept the Toros among the D-League's elite with the Spurs constantly pirating players from his roster.

SenorSpur
04-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Ian Mahinmi made an appearance at shootaround this morning -- surprising, since he was assigned to Austin last week. Popovich characterized Mahinmi's visit as personal, and not professional. "Ian's visiting with us today, saying hello to everyone, and we're saying hello to Ian," Popovich said. "It's not a situation where he's coming back with the team to play. He's still recovering." Mahinmi had surgery on his right ankle in January, but the Toros are hopeful he might be able to contribute during the D-League playoffs.

I've watched a lot of basketball, but I've never heard of a season-long ankle injury.

MoSpur
04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Wasn't it both ankles?

tmtcsc
04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I've watched a lot of basketball, but I've never heard of a season-long ankle injury.

Yeah, his injury was misdiagnosed and went untreated properly for months. They thought it needed time to heal on its own when in reality, it needed a different type of therapy and treatment. Didn't he wind up having surgery ?

Bruno
04-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Ian has been as unlucky as you can be with his ankle injury.
The injury was too serious to heal without surgery.
The injury wasn't serious enough to be easily detected with a MRI.

Ian hasn't played for 8 months because of that injury. Had he been slightly more or less injured, he would have missed something like 2 or 3 months. :depressed

Bruno
04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Wasn't it both ankles?

Yes and no.

Ian slightly sprained his left ankle during a game with Toros in late November but what has kept him out that long was his right ankle.

phxspurfan
04-10-2009, 03:02 PM
20mil sez he better play...either we're going into the playoffs with TD or not...no more of this wishy-washy only play-every-ther-game business. Time to get serious.

SenorSpur
04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
With the situation with the misdiagnosis on Ian's ankle and Manu's stress fracture situation, should the Spurs medical staff start to be looked at with a crooked eyebrow?

mexicanjunior
04-10-2009, 03:07 PM
* Tim Duncan is expected to play against the Jazz tonight, after Gregg Popovich pulled him from Wednesday's loss to Portland. Duncan is wrestling with a pair of sore knees and is considered day-to-day, everyday.

I think this is a mistake, Duncan should be getting as much rest as possible if the Spurs truly plan on using him in the playoffs. Seeding is pretty much inconsequential at this point considering we won't be catching #2...

kace
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
With the situation with the misdiagnosis on Ian's ankle and Manu's stress fracture situation, should the Spurs medical staff start to be looked at with a crooked eyebrow?

there was a problem with TP's come back last year too, with less damage though.

i remind the spurs being very suspicious about some french doctors ability when TP played for his NT.

i think they should question their own medical personel.

Big P
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM

It is after catscans & mri's did not reveal anything & by the time the doctor cut him opened & found it, the season was more than half way over.

Austin_Toros
04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Congrats Quin Snyder

duncan228
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
More on Duncan and his knees (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/more-on-duncan.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Sometimes news travels slowly here at Spurs Central. Talked to a Spurs staffer before tonight's game against Utah.

He said Tim Duncan banged knees with another player during the win at Oklahoma City on Tuesday night, which is part of the reason Duncan played so gingerly the next night against Portland.

Duncan, apparently, is feeling pretty good, and might ditch the knee pads tonight. We shall see.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
More on Duncan and his knees (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/more-on-duncan.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Sometimes news travels slowly here at Spurs Central. Talked to a Spurs staffer before tonight's game against Utah.

He said Tim Duncan banged knees with another player during the win at Oklahoma City on Tuesday night, which is part of the reason Duncan played so gingerly the next night against Portland.

Duncan, apparently, is feeling pretty good, and might ditch the knee pads tonight. We shall see.

That might be the best bit of news Jeff has given us all season :tu

Russ
04-10-2009, 07:28 PM

The ankle injury is complicated by a heart problem.

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 07:31 PM
that might be the best bit of news jeff has given us all season :tu

+1

objective
04-11-2009, 03:21 AM
maybe Ian was saying his goodbyes?