PDA

View Full Version : TD talks about his knee

Spurs Brazil
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Marc's Quote

"I don't think I'm exactly 100 percent, but I don't know that I will be. It's just the wear and tear of the season. This is just how I'm going to be for the rest of the way here."

San Antonio's Tim Duncan, acknowledging that his season-long sharpness hasn't been there since he took three games off to rest his ailing right knee.

Duncan shot 20-for-47 from the field in his first three games back and blamed himself for San Antonio's 107-102 loss in Dallas on Wednesday, insisting that he was "awful" at both ends.

He chastised himself for flubbing defensive rotations on a Dirk Nowitzki 3-pointer and a Josh Howard drive -- both in crunch time -- and acknowledged that he allowed himself to get too frustrated by a few non-calls on his own work inside … without acknowledging any of the referees by name on a night when Duncan and Joey Crawford were back in American Airlines Center some two years removed from the late-season game when Crawford ejected Duncan as he laughed on the bench.

It probably wasn't the best night, adding up all those details, to ask Duncan how he was feeling. He was undoubtedly being unusually hard on himself, in trademark Spurs fashion, after a tough loss to a team they still view as a rival … even if few league observers still have the Mavs in San Antonio's class.

But the comments about his knee have to be filed away, because the prospect of a competitive Western Conference finals probably rests on Duncan's health. And Manu Ginobili's.

Should the Spurs be able to keep the newly signed Drew Gooden (and his dodgy groin) on the floor, along with smash-hit summer signing Roger Mason and the emerging Matt Bonner, they've quietly assembled what appears to be the most offensively potent supporting cast for Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker they've ever had in San Antonio. Add the scorers to the supporting-cast vets who have been well-drilled in the Spurs' ways -- Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas -- and you have the one team out West that can conceivably beat the Lakers in the seven-game series. Even if L.A. gets Andrew Bynum back.

But that's obviously only if the stars that flank Parker are reasonably sturdy in late May. Ginobili had surgery on his left ankle in the offseason and has been out since the Spurs returned from the All-Star break, when increasing pain in the other ankle forced San Antonio's medical staff to put his right foot in a boot for a week. Duncan's struggles were more surprising, even though he's 32 and Ginobili is 31, because Timmy looked so fresh and spry in November, December and January after a summer of boxing training and tossing tractor tires to prepare for his 12th season.

"He's Tim," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, insisting that he's not doing any extra fretting about Duncan's condition.

"There's no 'progress to be made.' It's not like he was out [so] long where he's got to get a rhythm back or anything. … Overall he's doing fine."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090307-08

exstatic
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Tim pretty much took himself out of those games. I don't think it had so much to do with his knee as his head up his ass.

duncan228
03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Spurs Brazil.

I said it a couple of times last night, I'll just repeat it here. The tendonosis is here to stay. It's just going to be a matter of severity on any given night. Duncan has shown us he can play through pain. He won a Title in '05 on two bad ankles, he played the entire '05-'06 season with Plantar Fasciitis. He will rise for the Playoffs like he always does.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse, and it will heal better in the off season.

iilluzioN
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
poor timmy :(

plz take care of yourself

BlackSwordsMan
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
damnit another injury before playoffs

usckk
03-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Yay! I hope your okay Timmy!

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Yay! I hope your okay Timmy!

He will be, and watch out for him in the playoffs.

MANUUU
03-07-2009, 03:24 PM
:(

honestfool84
03-07-2009, 03:24 PM
:(

Brutalis
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
That's not good. The off season will help heal, but this is going to be a constant issue until he retires.

So I guess he is human.

Spursmania
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Come on Timmy, we're all rooting for you. Let's hope he can fight through it come play-offs. Gooden and Ginobili too.

2Cleva
03-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I see no logical reason to believe Duncan or Manu will be healthy come playoff time.

Summers
03-07-2009, 08:35 PM
So I guess he is human.

Damn it.

quentin_compson
03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Marc's Quote

and acknowledged that he allowed himself to get too frustrated by a few non-calls on his own work inside …

If there is one thing I would ever dare blame Timmy for, it's his tendency to get too frustrated about calls or non-calls.

Thanks Spurs Brazil.

I said it a couple of times last night, I'll just repeat it here. The tendonosis is here to stay. It's just going to be a matter of severity on any given night. Duncan has shown us he can play through pain. He won a Title in '05 on two bad ankles, he played the entire '05-'06 season with Plantar Fasciitis. He will rise for the Playoffs like he always does.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse, and it will heal better in the off season.

Timmy is a warrior. Let's hope he will be able to fight through it in the playoffs, because otherwise we are doomed.

SenorSpur
03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
This is exactly why everyone should have been worried about the increased workload and extra minutes that Timmy has been carrying all season - especially earlier this season. Obviously, there was very little choice because he's not had much frontline help. KT got off to a slow start, yet has picked up the pace over the past few months. Hopefully, Gooden can help offload some of the heavy lifting on the frontline.

J_Paco
03-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Its always something with this guy, thats why I say win now, F the 2010 plan because by 2010 Tim will be no more than a shooting decoy. Hes knees his feet, his back..........Damn at 32 hes acting like hes 42.

Dave played till 38 and still could put up 12-10rpg at Tims pace we will be lucky if he can do that at 35!

I'm sorry, but that has got to be one of the most idiotic posts I've read in awhile. Timmy was asked a question about his knee and how he felt, and gave a honest answer. Where in that statement can you read that he's "acting like he's 42?" He's carried the load upfront all season, and obviously starting to catch up to him. Hopefully, next season the front office will see this and not leave him (mostly) holding it down alone.

David Robinson, although great throughout most of his career, was a shell of his former self by the time he retired in '02-03. David was ailed with (I believe) back and knee problems throughout that season, and his role was reduced to being strictly a rebounder and defender. Now, he did it better than anyone has managed to since then, but that still doesn't change those facts.

J_Paco
03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Sorry if my post offended you but the fact of the matter is Tim always seems to have something wrong when he plays poorly.......then when he goes out and has a good game he says he feels great. The injury he is stated to have causes pain and a bit of stiffness from time to time, its not a major thing and should not excuse not being in your rotation.

D Rob took a back seat to TD his last couple years, its not that he could play could have avg 15-10 his last year if thats what the spurs wanted and he was 38 not 32. TD has stated that his condition is going to get worse every year at this pace in 2010 he will be a shell of his former self that is something the Spurs need to take into account when thinking about 2010. Just being real here.

I wasn't offended by your statments, they're your opinion after all, but you seem to be giving Tim little credit for playing at less then 100%. And, when has Tim ever said that his current situation with his knee (which is degenerative) with continue to worsen? I've only read posters making such claims, but haven't seen anything coming directly from Timmy.

Lastly, there is no possible way that David could've averaged 15-10 his last season, bro. He only dressed for 64 games that season due to both knee and back issues (I believe) and couldn't play more than 28-30 minutes a night. David was a role-player at the end, not just because of what Pop thought was best for the team, but also because that's all his physical limitations could allow him to be.

Fernando TD21
03-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I wasn't offended by your statments, they're your opinion after all, but you seem to be giving Tim little credit for playing at less then 100%. And, when has Tim ever said that his current situation with his knee (which is degenerative) with continue to worsen? I've only read posters making such claims, but haven't seen anything coming directly from Timmy.

Lastly, there is no possible way that David could've averaged 15-10 his last season, bro. He only dressed for 64 games that season due to both knee and back issues (I believe) and couldn't play more than 28-30 minutes a night. David was a role-player at the end, not just because of what Pop thought was best for the team, but also because that's all his physical limitations could allow him to be.
Just ignore him. He is just an idiot who loves to hate on Duncan. I don't even think he is a real Spurs fan.

Ice009
03-08-2009, 01:37 AM
This is exactly why everyone should have been worried about the increased workload and extra minutes that Timmy has been carrying all season - especially earlier this season. Obviously, there was very little choice because he's not had much frontline help. KT got off to a slow start, yet has picked up the pace over the past few months. Hopefully, Gooden can help offload some of the heavy lifting on the frontline.

What did I say in the preseason? We need big men and that's why I wanted the Spurs to look at guys like Watkins instead of unproven outside shooters like Tolliver.

Manufan909
03-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, idk about Watkins, but AT was a horrible choice, considering what he did in the preseason. Usually players get rewarded for playing better, but not so with AT. I wish Hairston had gotten the pick over him.

The Truth #6
03-08-2009, 02:22 AM

Hopefully Gooden can help in this regard. If not, I think the 2010 plan is too long to wait considering how much wear is being put on Tim and his degenerative knee issue.

kace
03-08-2009, 05:05 AM
manu being always injured is a problem for the spurs, even in the RS.

I mean with the usual PO Tim, Tony at his best, where he is right now, and manu doing his thing, we're fine.

but manu's injuries have put some extra pressure and minutes on tim and tony. and unfortunately, tim's and tony's own injuries have coincided with manu's ones, putting even more responsabilities on the last member of the big three (Tim at the beginning of the season, tony lately).

it would be great to have an healthy manu for the PO. But if him getting healthy cost us a TP or a Tim at full strenght, that's useless.

raspsa
03-08-2009, 06:22 AM
One day hopefully in the not-so-near-future Timmy will wake up, rub his knee and decide he'd rather lie in a hammock on a beach somewhere, cold beer in hand.. hopefully the new acquisitions by the Spurs postpone this scenario from becoming reality as long as possible.

wildbill2u
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Pops trying to rest him. I noticed he only played about 20+ minutes against the Wizzards.

Galileo
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Didn't Doctor J play his last ten years with bad knees?

Spursdaone
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
We should trade Duncan for draft picks before it's too late.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
What did I say in the preseason? We need big men and that's why I wanted the Spurs to look at guys like Watkins instead of unproven outside shooters like Tolliver.

Ice, I think we both were on record as saying the same thing. I find myself relieved whenever Tim is able to sneak some extra rest during games. He's really worked his butt out this season. My worst nightmare is watching a similar 1 big versus 2 bigs scenario we saw in the WCF finals versus Fakers.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Okey-Doke has been had a couple of improved performances in consecutive games. I trust he'll keep it up. Spurs could use a lift from him throughout the home stretch. And Ime is simply in need of lifts because he has none. :lol

Fernando TD21
03-08-2009, 06:42 PM
This comming from a guy who posts pictures of the worst starting center in the NBA! I am a spurs fan and have been one most likely longer than u have been on this earth there mouth breather!

I am a real Spurs fan, I see what is not what I want to be, facts are facts. Further more I have played at a high level and understand the level of medical attention these guys get. His condition while painful should not get him off the hook for getting pushed around by guys like Songaila, Perkins, Bass...ect, ect....If he is that hurt he needs to shut it down for a few more weeks.

TD has been pushed around, abused on the defensive end and spends too much time with his head down. As a leader you cant do that, you must fight through it, I believe his attitude has helped contribute to TP and Mason looking poor on D from time to time as well. Be real with yourself Tim in the Face of the Spurs, hes also the last line of Defense for us, and all to often this year other teams have run layup drills on us that falls on the leader to make changes!
Maybe you really are a Spurs fan. But if we take a look at some of your posts it's easy to think you could be something else. I don't know, maybe you are just too emotive.

Its always something with this guy, thats why I say win now, F the 2010 plan because by 2010 Tim will be no more than a shooting decoy. Hes knees his feet, his back..........Damn at 32 hes acting like hes 42.

Dave played till 38 and still could put up 12-10rpg at Tims pace we will be lucky if he can do that at 35!

Tim is stealing money from Holt. He is playing with no heart, getting owned by lesser players and hanging his head. He is soft and weak minded! I think when Manu gets back and Gooden gets on the floor it may spark his fire. I hope the spurs get an emotional leader next year like a Mario Ellie. On a team of quite soft spoken guys they need that one head strong, big mouth that goes off every now and then and isnt afraid to get into a ruckus!

Another bad game for TD, either hes still hurt or hes just not in the mood to play again tonight. He got owned by Songaila.

He has to make his play, and hope his team mates rotate like they need to. You just cant say fuck it let him have the wide open shot when we need a stop!

Face it Tim is either injured or Lazy with no heart. The Mavs wanted it more, and Im sorry getting paid 20 mil a year, being the face of the SPURS and talking on TV about wanting to get to the finals..........then you just give up with the game on the line.

I love the Spurs but we have had too many games like this- this year and its flat out a lack of heart! We have won 4 titles with an avg offense but grind it out D. Now we have the O and we decide we are no longer gonna play good D! No excuses we lost to a bad team because we didnt want it.

Duncan U lazy pc of shit! Get out on your man.........Pops needs to slap tim around after the game, he is picking up bonners bad D.

Do u believe Duncan is in the best shape of his life? I have done the tire routine and the running in sand.......that is all well and good for stamina but isnt gonna make you stronger. Duncans lack of hops has to do with his lack of effort or training at improving it. He is not a toned guy either, Im sorry, with the diet and training these guys have, no excuse not to be in top shape. Again I love the guy but hes 32.........Look at shaq who we all know is 40lbs over wt, yet his moves well due to training.

Man I love TD but he is a WNBA player, I mean he gets pushed around by soft player, small players.........dirk just ate his luch, bass has rode him out of the lane......mother fucker needs to get in the weight room. Has not jumping ability at all, our trainers must suck balls. 4 months in the gym I could put 12 on his vertical.

nkdlunch
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Duncan looked fine out there and I don't see him in any sort of pain. of course he is not 100% but nobody is in the playoffs

50Bestspurever
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
This comming from a guy who posts pictures of the worst starting center in the NBA! I am a spurs fan and have been one most likely longer than u have been on this earth there mouth breather!

I am a real Spurs fan, I see what is not what I want to be, facts are facts. Further more I have played at a high level and understand the level of medical attention these guys get. His condition while painful should not get him off the hook for getting pushed around by guys like Songaila, Perkins, Bass...ect, ect....If he is that hurt he needs to shut it down for a few more weeks.

TD has been pushed around, abused on the defensive end and spends too much time with his head down. As a leader you cant do that, you must fight through it, I believe his attitude has helped contribute to TP and Mason looking poor on D from time to time as well. Be real with yourself Tim in the Face of the Spurs, hes also the last line of Defense for us, and all to often this year other teams have run layup drills on us that falls on the leader to make changes!

Fucking idiot! A real spurs fan? A real spurs fan doesn't question the toughness of the 3x nba finals MVP. And unless you played at the nba all star level your opinion doesn't mean shit. So STFU

Josepatches_
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Duncan looked fine out there and I don't see him in any sort of pain. of course he is not 100% but nobody is in the playoffs

I'm not sure.He was sit in the bench the final minutes of the 4th quarter when the game was very close.