PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Buck Harvey article.

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Buck Harvey: Mohammed's journey: This is no test

Web Posted: 03/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Tony Parker went behind his back with a ball-fake midway through the third quarter, then scored. A few minutes later Gregg Popovich tried to be as clever.

Want to see the new Spur? From behind Popovich's back, supported by a 21-point lead, came Nazr Mohammed.

Popovich had basketball reasons to wait more than a half to launch the home debut of the Man Who Replaced Malik Rose. But Popovich had emotional reasons, too. The Spurs want to put Mohammed in positions to succeed, and Wednesday fit into that.

But this is mostly about the Spurs avoiding unnecessary tension for themselves. Mohammed doesn't need much protection. He's already endured the New York market, as well as three years at high-pressure Kentucky, and he's been through much more in recent years.

Murder. Loss. Shock.

Given Mohammed's life, would a few boos really hurt him?

As it was, Mohammed heard none Wednesday. Anyone with any sense understands Mohammed didn't trade himself here, and, besides, anyone who watched him against Toronto had no reason to voice displeasure. Mohammed, in his few minutes, blocked a shot, gave a tough foul and threw in a smooth, turnaround jumper.

It doesn't mean he will impact the season, but he has yet to show he won't. In Cleveland on Monday, when Popovich didn't mind playing Mohammed in front of strangers, Mohammed showed some life.

An example: He managed to shoot four free throws, and Rasho Nesterovic didn't shoot as many in all of February.

These are small steps, but Mohammed understands them. Part of fitting in is recognizing where your teammates are coming from, and that's why his only question to Popovich when he arrived was about Tim Duncan. Mohammed wanted to know how Duncan took losing a friend such as Rose.

As for Mohammed taking the place of a popular player: "I feel more for Malik than for myself. I wasn't the one leaving a place where I had been a long time."

This is the outlook of someone who has seen the other side, and Mohammed did years ago. He grew up in Chicago with 10 brothers and sisters, but with his mother on another continent. Through it all he had his father, Tahiru, originally from Ghana, determined to carve out a living for his family.

"My father used to say he was the jack of all trades," Mohammed said, smiling, "and the master of none."

Tahiru started with a gas station. Opened an African-cuisine restaurant. Drove a cab, then added cabs until he owned a fleet of 11. "My father was a strong man with a strong will," Mohammed said. "I thought he would outlive me."

Tahiru saw Nazr grow into a Kentucky recruit, and grow and grow. Mohammed weighed 315 pounds when he left high school. "Just a big kid," he said, "who did the things all teenagers do. Yeah, I ate a lot of McDonald's."

Rick Pitino told Mohammed to get down to 250 if he wanted to play. When school started that next fall, Mohammed weighed exactly that.

He went on to help win two national championships at Kentucky, the second in San Antonio in 1998, and became a first-round draft pick. With that came first-round money, and Nazr asked Tahiru what he could do for him.

His father said: "Nothing. Help me by helping your brothers and sisters."

Tahiru instead ventured out again on his own. He was preparing to open an auto parts store in July 2000 when a man killed him with a baseball bat.

Nazr went to the trial, and he was there the day when the accused was found guilty. The sentence was 42 years in prison for the murder charge and an additional 10 years for an armed robbery conviction.

Mohammed struggled. He couldn't bring himself to erase his father's number from his cell phone, because it felt as if his father might call one day.

He said he grew that summer, and he leaned on the advice of a rugged immigrant to get through. "My father would always say that when you think things are tough," Mohammed said, "something tougher comes along."

And that brings Mohammed to San Antonio and the supposed anxiety that comes with an emotional trade.

Something tougher?

To Mohammed, playing basketball for the team with the league's best record can't be

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 01:39 AM
nice.

whottt
03-03-2005, 01:41 AM
That is a good article. And it does seem like this guy has been through a lot. I like his outlook.

And something is pretty apprarent about this guy...he's not going to be affected by the pressure of playing in big games. You can just hear it in his voice...his words.

Spurs_rock05
03-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Mohammed weighed 315 pounds when he left high school. "Just a big kid," he said, "who did the things all teenagers do. Yeah, I ate a lot of McDonald's."

thats alot of big macs . just koking

Spurs_rock05
03-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Mohammed weighed 315 pounds when he left high school. "Just a big kid," he said, "who did the things all teenagers do. Yeah, I ate a lot of McDonald's."

thats alot of big macs . just joking

whottt
03-03-2005, 01:43 AM
it was funnier the first time.

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I agree Whottt, I think hes got the Stephen Jackson syndrome but without the dumbass wildness.

Hes had a tough background, hes been critisized for work ethic and lack of defense.

IMO, this guy reminds you so much of a Stephen Jackson type its not funny.

I do believe, his type, with such a tough background, things like big basketball games, dont mean squat.

I love this guy's potential, he just looks so out of sorts out there.

Hopefully, the upcoming days off, and games every other day, help him out.

Im interested to see how he fares VS Phoenix next wednesday.

whottt
03-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I actually haven't heard anyone criticize his work ethic...he just doesn't know how to play D...yet.

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:58 AM
well, supposedly in Atlanta, that was a critique, but I dont believe it.

I agree, he doesn't, but give him a couple weeks, he'll definately get the system and will be blocking shots, and rebounding well.

I can't wait personally.

milkyway21
03-03-2005, 02:03 AM
..he seems have a lot of respect for Duncan, asking how TD feels or how he plays with him...a good sign.

about that losing his father, that's tough, bec I've been there & it took me 3 yrs to get over it.

timvp
03-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Good article but Pop being in full coddle mode has me thinking its going to be an Horry playoffs.

Again.

mattyc
03-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Tahiru instead ventured out again on his own. He was preparing to open an auto parts store in July 2000 when a man killed him with a baseball bat.

Holy fuck.
:wow :cuss

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Holy fuck.

Here's the story, I had posted it in another thread last week.

http://www.african-spectrum.com/2000/08/front/f2.html

CHICAGO:- The dream is over! The news cut through the heart as a knife in butter. Disbelief and discontentment filled the airwaves. Alhaji Na T. A. Mohammed, a.k.a. Sweetwater had been found slain on his junkyard business site. For a man that arrived in the US with practically nothing, he proved that barriers could be conquered as long as there is a sense of focus.

Sweetwater was found dead Monday night apparently of blunt force trauma to the head. Walter Hughes, 35, was charged with first-degree murder. According to police, the two had been arguing over money.

“I immediately came to Chicago,” said Nazr Mohammed. “This is a real bad time for my family right now. We are at a loss for words.” He played for Kentucky for three years and was a member of the 1996 NCAA championship team before leaving school early to enter the NBA draft.

Sweetwater was the grandson of Alhaji Mallam Soldier, a highly decorated soldier who fought in both World Wars and was a historical figure whose association with the colonial governors as well Dr. Kwame Nkrumah is well documented.

Among Sweetwater’s many accomplishments, he fathered nine children including Nazr Mohammed, the first athlete of Ghanaian descent to play in the NBA for the Philadelphia 76ers, a son Issaka, 26, who is the president of all the business operations. In addition he had two kids Alhaji Jnr. and Samir in college and a set of twin daughters Husseina and Hassana.

Sweetwater was enstooled last year in September as the Chief of the Ghana Northern Union, an organization responsible for helping members meet their needs. During this momentous ceremony held at the Ramada Inn in Hyde Park, members from various chapters around the country and also the motherland came to witness the traditional procedure.

Every year during Ghanafest, an entourage that adored and idolized their leader would lead Sweetwater’s entrance. Proud to be an integral part of the community, his presence at functions marked important and gregarious occasions. His contagious smile permeated all around him and could be heard calling all people ‘Nana’ signifying the respect he had for all. Nana is a title given to a person of nobility in Ghana.

Sweetwater had been in the US for about 30 years. He arrived here just like many immigrants with an eye for a piece of the action. He knew the opportunities were here but how to go about it was a different matter. Back then, there were not many prominent Africans to emulate. The only way one could make it was to learn a skill or go to college. He initially worked a double job and attended night classes.

During his hardworking and lucrative career, he operated a restaurant, gas stations, clothing store, shipping agency, Cab Company, an auto mechanic and a car dealership. He had recently opened the scrap metal shop and was poised to initiate an African Fast Food Restaurant before his untimely death. He was a caring and passionate man who would go to great lengths to help others in need. A busy man, Sweetwater never hesitated to give words of advice. His most famous quotation to date was “Never listen to people who have failed…” He was 55.

cqsallie
03-03-2005, 03:29 AM
"His most famous quotation to date was, 'Never listen to people who have failed…'.”
Well, that pretty much puts me in my place vis-a-vis my criticism of Greg Popovich. Although I haven't failed as an NBA coach, I sure have failed to even attempt to be an NBA coach...
Oh, phooey! Razr's father has taken the wind out of my sails!

Supergirl
03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Duncan also lost his father...so they may form a connection over this.
I think Nazr may fit in even better than Pop could have hoped.

T Park
03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Pop being in full coddle mode

Of course, every player learns the playbook and defensive schemes in 4 or 5 days.

Jees TIMVP your bitterness twords Mohammed and Pop is unreal.

bigzak25
03-03-2005, 05:26 PM
well unless that groin of naz's is the issue, he need to be thrown to the fire to see what he's gonna bring to the table....times running out.

timvp
03-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Of course, every player learns the playbook and defensive schemes in 4 or 5 days.

Jees TIMVP your bitterness twords Mohammed and Pop is unreal.

:lol

Bitterness? About what? I think it was a good trade.

I just want Nazr to play. Every other player who was traded for is playing. Nazr doesn't know every play but he's not going to get a feel for it without playing.

exstatic
03-03-2005, 05:30 PM
:lol This was one of the theories that I shared with LJ at the game last night about why Nazr hadn't played.. He hoped it wasn't so.

T Park
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
And when hes out there and screws up, the all the forum basketball experts will rip him up for his bad play.

So, Pop and Nazr are fucked, either way they go.

Its obvious.

timvp
03-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Let him play. Pop is trying to create the black Rasho or something. Maybe if Pop holds his hand during timeouts, Nazr won't be sad if he makes a mistake.

Where is this team's toughness?

T Park
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Where the fuck do you think Nazr would feel bad if he made a mistake??

I dont see that for christ sake.

God LJ, your hate for now Rasho, Pop AND Nazr.

Dex
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Damn Those Best In The League Spurs!!!!!

timvp
03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Where the fuck do you think Nazr would feel bad if he made a mistake??

I dont see that for christ sake.

God LJ, your hate for now Rasho, Pop AND Nazr.

I'm saying Pop is coddling Nazr. He's playing him in a way so that he doesn't have to feel any type of failure. My point is why can't Nazr go out there and learn by trial and error? The Spurs are good enough that they'll win anyways and there isn't enough time to do it any other way. Let the man play. Who cares if he messes up a couple times? He's got to learn one way or another.

I don't hate Rasho. I even recently posted that I'm almost ready to accept him as a Spur because I think I saw him care for the first time ever when Duncan hit that game winner.

timvp hates Pop? :lol That will be the day. timvp has been defending Pop since TPark was a sparkle in Al Gore's eye.

And how can you say I hate Nazr? I want him to play. Put him out there.

Damn.

T Park
03-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Yawn, internet al gore's eye banter, yawn, yawn yawn.

If you saw him care for the first time when Duncan hit that the other day, you obviously didnt watch him do the same thing last year.

Your boy David wasnt an overly emotional guy either, but, once again, Rasho is held up to much higher standards.