PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye's Nation Anthem

rAm
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Has anyone seen the USA Basketball Team commercial with Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem? Love that commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZTmcIfdBQ

Here is the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

That's the best Star Spangled Banner rendition I have ever heard.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
It's the best anti-drug spot I have ever seen.

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't really like it, it's not very traditional.

rAm
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't really like it, it's not very traditional.

i think thats the point

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
i think thats the point

That's why I don't like it. Doesn't even sound like the U.S. National Anthem.

LakeShow
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM

This what you're talking about? More traditional? :lol

DrFW2aYHVR8

Great rendition of the National anthem by Marvin. A Classic :toast

Findog
08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
That commercial was cool.

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
This what you're talking about? More traditional? :lol

DrFW2aYHVR8

Great rendition of the National anthem by Marvin. A Classic :toast

:lol

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2008, 03:43 PM
iQ2GVnJQ7QA

LakeShow
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Has anyone seen the USA Basketball Team commercial with Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem? Love that commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZTmcIfdBQ

Here is the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

That's the best Star Spangled Banner rendition I have ever heard.

This one wasn't too bad either,

qciWEufZ2xA&feature=related

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Well I must admit that Whitney is better than Stack. But with some trainig Jerry would be a better singer.

T Park
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Whitney's version and Marvin's version are the best I've ever heard.

No one will even come close to touching that.

Tully365
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM

I'm sure that every version you've heard and liked in your life is different from the original version played in 1931, when it first became the official National Anthem. How would you define the "traditional" version? To people below age 30, Marvin's version is traditional... and sincere, and respectful.

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 05:04 PM
This one wasn't too bad either,

qciWEufZ2xA&feature=related

This is a lot better than Marvin Gaye's version.

Kriz-Maxima
08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I love Marvin Gaye's version and I'm not even from the US.

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM

You'd probably have to appreciate soul music to like it. Of course, there are millions of non-soul listeners that absolutely adored Marvin's version.

For the record, Marvin's rendition was probably the first time the SSB had been publically rendered with that type of soulful flair. To his credit, Marvin received ongoing national kudos and recognition for that version, many months after the NBA ASG.

Personally, if Roseanne Barr's rendition of the anthem is considered to be the "outhouse" version, then Marvin's version is without question THE PENTHOUSE version. The absolute best rendition I've ever heard.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
For the record, Marvin's rendition was probably the first time the SSB had been publically rendered with that type of soulful flair. To his credit, Marvin received ongoing national kudos and recognition for that version, many months after the NBA ASG.I like Jose Feliciano's '68 World Series rendition better (less cocaine), and I understand Jose caught a lot of shit for it.

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
You'd probably have to appreciate soul music to like it. Of course, there are millions of non-soul listeners that absolutely adored Marvin's version.

For the record, Marvin's rendition was probably the first time the SSB had been publically rendered with that type of soulful flair. To his credit, Marvin received ongoing national kudos and recognition for that version, many months after the NBA ASG.

Personally, if Roseanne Barr's rendition of the anthem is considered to be the "outhouse" version, then Marvin's version is without question THE PENTHOUSE version. The absolute best rendition I've ever heard.

I definitely can appreciate soul music, I just don't like the National Anthem turned into it. It doesn't sound right to me.

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I definitely can appreciate soul music, I just don't like the National Anthem turned into it. It doesn't sound right to me.

Understand. It's a free country.

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I like Jose Feliciano's '68 World Series rendition better (less cocaine), and I understand Jose caught a lot of shit for it.

I didn't want to go there about Marvin. However, based on the fact that it was widely known Marvin was heavily addicted to cocaine during that period, it wouldn't be stretch to speculate that he could've been "under the influence" during this rendition.

In the 60's, I would guess so. BTW, I pulled up Feliciano's version on YouTube. It was good. He admitted that many radio stations stopped playing his records because of all the negative furor surrounding that version. That sucks.

Kriz-Maxima
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
I like Jose Feliciano's '68 World Series rendition better (less cocaine), and I understand Jose caught a lot of shit for it.

I really like that one too and he did caught a lot of shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrY9RVfVkws

LakeShow
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Marvin & Nona Gaye - National Anthem (Nba Allstar-Game 2004)

RvxefSebjYE&feature=related

jacobdrj
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
The voice is sweet, and it is most definitely sincere. However, it is just killed by the beat in the background. There is nothing worse than having a metronome blasting, and a musician ignoring it... it would have been just fine had that beat been turned off.

It is a good rendition. I have heard better. I have heard much worse.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Here's an NPR story about Feliciano and some others.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6394213

Carl Lewis' attempt is truly cringeworthy.

ThunderStix®
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Understand. It's a free country.

Definitely, I was just giving my opinion on it.

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Here's an NPR story about Feliciano and some others.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6394213

Carl Lewis' attempt is truly cringeworthy.

Whenever I hear Carl Lewis' rendition, I feel my skin falling off.

DynastyBuilder
08-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Marvin Gaye :tu

Solid D
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I remember watching that ASG on TV. Marvin's rendition was one of those that you remember as one of a kind. Very soulful and I agree, probably right there with Whitney Houston's Super Bowl performance as two of the best.

baseline bum
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Greatest ever FTW

LV7TMFceriw

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Damn that was a good Anthem.

baseline bum
08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I didn't want to go there about Marvin. However, based on the fact that it was widely known Marvin was heavily addicted to cocaine during that period, it wouldn't be stretch to speculate that he could've been "under the influence" during this rendition.

In the 60's, I would guess so. BTW, I pulled up Feliciano's version on YouTube. It was good. He admitted that many radio stations stopped playing his records because of all the negative furor surrounding that version. That sucks.

I don't think it's speculation about Marvin. I remember reading that all the organizers were going crazy when Marvin showed up 10 minutes before the performance in horrible shape, and that they thought he was way too stoned to go out and sing that day.

LakeShow
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I like a lot of the National Anthem performances. Jose, Fantasia, Faith Hill, Cher and I can definitely HEAR Jimi but none touched me like Marvin Gaye and Whitney Houston. I could FEEL their performances. The Best two performances ever!

cash459
08-27-2008, 05:32 PM
c'mon guys.....did you forget about this one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLvCM4j2mg

".......uh oh! i'll make up for it now"

:lmao

Leetonidas
08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I love Marvin Gaye's version and I'm not even from the US.

The US owns Puerto Rico though, remember that.

spurscenter
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
for sure

mrsmaalox
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I've heard so many versions at the games the last few years, but the one that stands out as a "goose bump" moment was before the ring ceremony in Oct 2007 (too bad I just can't trust a man without lips;))

_WmNAMofGUw&feature=related

endrity
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
I just heard Feliciano's version, and I love it. Very "soul"-ful, and his voice is simply amazing.

SenorSpur
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think it's speculation about Marvin. I remember reading that all the organizers were going crazy when Marvin showed up 10 minutes before the performance in horrible shape, and that they thought he was way too stoned to go out and sing that day.

Not surprised at all. This revelation and the fact that he still nailed the song are true testimonies to what a truly wonderful singer and performer Marvin was. He taken the moniker "living the high life" to a whole nuther level.

I read that in the late 70's, when he was living in Hawaii and on hard times, his agent hooked him up to perform several command performances for the royals in England. Problem was he couldn't stay sober or coherant long enough to get to the gigs on time.

SenorSpur
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a lot better than Marvin Gaye's version.

Wow! I had forgotten how scintillating a rendition Whitney's was too. :toast

OK. I"m personally ranking hers up there with Marvin.