PDA

View Full Version : Will this be the year the Suns give up their pick?

SPARKY
02-07-2005, 11:59 PM
The Spurs traded their 1st round pick in the 2003 NBA Draft to the Suns for a future first round pick. The conditions of the trade were such, if I recall correctly, that the pick was due to the Spurs at the Suns' discretion, up until the 2009 NBA Draft, at which time it was the Spurs' pick no matter what.

Given the season the Suns have had thusfar, the likelihood that their first round pick will be fairly low this year, and that Steve Nash is probably not going to get any better, I suspect the Suns might just give the Spurs that pick this year. If so, that would give the Spurs two low first round picks (not sure about the 2nd rounder, I believe the Spurs gave that up in the Sanikidze trade) to work with.

"The rich get richer."?

http://www.grabow.biz/images/KennySmith.jpg

Matrix
02-08-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't see why not they have the bulls first round pick too so its possible

2pac
02-08-2005, 12:06 AM
It was for Barbosa.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 12:11 AM
The conditions of that pick was that it couldn't be higher than the 21st pick, right?

exstatic
02-08-2005, 12:13 AM
If it's higher than 20 or 21, then I believe the Spurs get it. It's not the Suns choice. They set conditions on the pick. If the conditions are met, SA gets it.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Yes that's what I'm referring to, if it's 21 or higher the Spurs automatically get it. Right?

exstatic
02-08-2005, 12:16 AM
San Antonio receives a future Phoenix first-round pick (protected through 20th pick until 2008) (Leandro Barbosa trade 062603)

From nbadraft.net.

Outstanding trade conditions (http://nbadraft.net/draftnotes.asp)

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
It was for Barbosa.

Semantics.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012205.D.BKNspurs.notebook.2ffed187.html

For the future: The Spurs might benefit from Phoenix’s unexpected success this season.

If the Suns finish with one of the 10-best records in the league, the Spurs will receive their first-round pick in the June draft.

The Spurs acquired the conditional pick on the night of the 2003 draft when they used their own selection to take point guard Leandro Barbosa on behalf of Phoenix. The Spurs dealt their pick to free up salary-cap room for the pursuit of Jason Kidd.

The Suns didn’t have to give the Spurs their pick last season because it was protected through No. 24. From the 2005-2009 drafts, it is protected through No. 20.

It the Spurs still haven’t received the pick by the 2010 draft, they will get it no matter where it falls.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 12:42 AM
From the 2005-2009 drafts, it is protected through No. 20.

So, the Spurs should get it this year. That's pretty sweet, but unless there's a real gem that the Spurs want, they'll probably get it and trade it.

timvp
02-08-2005, 12:46 AM
I think the Spurs could actually keep both of their picks. The cap room doesn't matter anymore and with the MLE tied up in Scola and probably re-signing Karl Malone, the Spurs may need to fill out some roster spots. A long three and a project big make a lot of sense.

Then again, it's five months before the draft.

:drunk

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Drinking and posting aren't a good idea

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I think the Spurs could actually keep both of their picks. The cap room doesn't matter anymore and with the MLE tied up in Scola and probably re-signing Karl Malone, the Spurs may need to fill out some roster spots. A long three and a project big make a lot of sense.

Come on this is Holt Cat we are talking about.

usckk
02-08-2005, 12:55 AM

You sound confident that Malone signing this week. :)

timvp
02-08-2005, 12:56 AM
You sound confident that Malone signing this week. :)

I've been confident since the summer that Malone was coming.

usckk
02-08-2005, 12:59 AM
I thought you hated the idea of Malone coming.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 01:02 AM
He hates it; he's just confident about it. He's been telling me for months that Malone is coming for sure.

Rick Von Braun
02-08-2005, 02:00 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidrunk.gifHow about LJIII for a long three? And another big? The Spurs have already the rights of 3 bigs waiting on the wings IIRC, right?

There are only 15 spots (including IR), and the roster is full already (plus SF's point regarding Holt is valid as well).

exstatic
02-08-2005, 02:11 AM
How about LJIII for a long three?
May not work out. I think their long term answer may be Sanikidze, but he's like 19.

And another big? The Spurs have already the rights of 3 bigs waiting on the wings IIRC, right?
Legitimately, they have one, in Scola. Everyone else has at least one big questionmark. Massenberg and Horry are old.

I think you can never have too much talent stashed in Europe. If nothing else, package it to fill needs via trade(s).

ChumpDumper
02-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Come on this is Holt Cat we are talking about.It's not like they make the midlevel every year.

2centsworth
02-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Spurs are gonna stick to building their farm system. So expect more trades out of the first round and more international players selected in the second. Unless, by some miracle there is a player on the board they just have to have.