Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers couldn't rebound the ball in 2004 that's why they lost. Pistons owned the offensive boards and had 3 shots everytime down the floor. As for Garnett he set an illegal screen pretty much everytime down the court at the end of the game, it was ridiculous. For spur fans to think the Lakers get more calls then the spurs is laughable.
    no its truth, you believein otherwise is laughable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Those kind of no calls have led to lots of undeserved points for the Celtics in this series, yet that isn't something we can compare in a box score. So FT attempt differential or total fouls is one of the few statistics that fans can look at and debate.
    eh, how about the points where gasol camps in the lane forever, they never call 3 seconds in the lane, and it happens A LOT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    no its truth, you believein otherwise is laughable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to as su ious of Game 1 of the 2003 Lakers-*purs series.
    You keep bringing up this game but the Lakers were gift wrapped game three and especially, game four.

Also, how can you comment on this game when you didn't even see it all?

From what I recall, twenty minutes of this game was blacked out at the end of the 3rd Qtr and beginning of the 4th because of technical difficulties.

And your circle of seven fixers is the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet. Stern has a hard on for the Lakers and if he could, he would wear spandex so everyone can see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question:
    Why is Bavetta still in the business?
    Answer:
    He knows about every dirty detail in basketball since James Naismith!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understand how some basketball fans think that Free Throws have to be equal for each team.. Free throws are awarded because the other team fouled.. the idea that every team is going to foul eachother the same amount of times each game of the series (and have the same amount of fouls that result in free throws) is beyond me. There is such thing as one team not fouling as much as the other.

This phenomonon is only believable by LakerFan. And it stems from what their team's coach spits out. It makes zero sense that people think teams should shoot an equal or close amount of FT's per game.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Right.....Joey is going to tell all about the fixing he did.......so he can go to prison and get raped, beaten, etc.
    Nope, he was just going to tell all about the league asking them to manipulate games and make Superstar calls and then he was going to verify Donaughy's testimony and then throw some other refs under the Bus but not actually say that he did himself.

And he is a guy that the media would give some credibility. He could F#ck up the league and the guy that fired him, David Sperm, but real good!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AND.. If the NBA was fixing games, only letting 2 of 3 refs in on it makes no sense.
    Yes it does. If few know the truth, it's easier to hold down. Whereas if many know then it's damn near impossible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True.

But it is one of the only "hard" statistics that we can use to actually compare the officiating in a game. For instance, last night Kevin Garnett and PJ Brown continued their practice of setting illegal screens literally on every offensive possession.

They have done this all series long and finally Garnett was called for it late in last night's game. Here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XoZ6R-rM-Y

Those kind of no calls have led to lots of undeserved points for the Celtics in this series, yet that isn't something we can compare in a box score. So FT attempt differential or total fouls is one of the few statistics that fans can look at and debate.

Those types of missed calls go both ways. It just depends on how the officials choose to call the game. Kobe uses his off arm to push the defender out of the way more often than not, a lot ala Sir Jordan, but he doesn't get called for the offensive foul EVERY SINGLE time. I've seen Pau Gasol reach up for an over the back offensive rebound and even if he doesn't get the rebound, shouldn't he be called for the over the back foul EVERY SINGLE TIME? You could interpret that Lamar Odom travels almost every single time when he attempts his little move from the 3 point line to the basket.

If you want to go through play by play by play there are going to be fouls commited by BOTH teams consistently, that may not be called throughout the course of the game. Again, it's up to how the refs decide to let them play the game. Sometimes refs allow the players to be aggressive and decide the game for themselves, sometimes not.

Either way, LakerFan and their Zen Coach needs to man up and quit the whining about the officials. They aren't the reason why they are in a 1-2 hole and could very well have been in a 0-3 hole. Lack of consistent bench production, porous defense, and the disappearance of your soft front line are much more accurate reasons to point to for your current demise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buck Harvey: NBA's fix – Stern has one option

Web Posted: 06/11/2008 12:36 AM CDT

LOS ANGELES — You can't tell the conspiracies without a program anymore. Not after Tim Donaghy was back in the news Tuesday, and Joey Crawford was back on the floor.

You can't believe anything you see anymore. Not after Kobe Bryant got 18 free-throw attempts in Game 3, just as Phil Jackson wanted him to, and not after the Lakers won, just as the NBA needed them to.

League officials wanted Boston and Los Angeles in the Finals, and they wanted the series to go long, and Donaghy says these things have happened before. This is called a tipping point.

Nothing David Stern says will change the way his business is perceived, and that's why Stern needs to dismantle his business.

If he doesn't, how many will believe games such as Tuesday's are real?

Game 3 sure looked real. Bryant got his free throws, but he also got a technical foul. There wasn't a call or sequence of them that suggested anything was crooked.

If anything, a no-call with about three minutes left went the Celtics' way. Then, P.J. Brown got an arm inside of Pau Gasol, and Gasol went up to shoot with the 24-second clock expiring. Derek Fisher jumping on Brent Barry was no more dramatic.

Kevin Garnett followed with a bank, pulling the Celtics within two points, and then Doc Rivers opted to take the ball out of Bryant's hands. Sasha Vujacic's 3-pointer was the result.

When Rivers didn't trap Bryant on the next two possessions, Bryant scored.

The Lakers won as teams do. And for those wondering if extending this series was a league directive from the top, then the league wasn't as active last year. Then, the Spurs and Cavaliers went down to the final play in their Game 3, and Bruce Bowen reached out and intentionally grabbed LeBron James as James turned to launch a 3-pointer that missed.

LeBron, the marketing darling, didn't get the call.

But that doesn't change the perception, and that doesn't change a letter sent to a New York sentencing court on behalf of Donaghy, the convicted former referee. In it, Donaghy doesn't name names, but he outlines what everyone has always feared.

It's clear, in one passage, that he's talking about the infamous 2002 playoff game between the Lakers and Kings. That L.A. free-throw disparity eventually drew protests from Ralph Nader.

Donaghy alleges two referees then deliberately ignored fouls because they were “company men” who “always” acted in the interest of the NBA.

“That night,” he said, “it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series.”

An official that night was Bavetta. He was also the lead ref in the 1999 Finals, when the Spurs lost another Game 3, this time to the Knicks. Spurs officials then also wondered about the “company men.”

The NBA general counsel issued a statement in response to Tuesday's court filing, and he said Donaghy's allegations “are clearly being disclosed now as part of his desperate attempt to lighten the sentence.”

Maybe that's accurate, but the NBA is as desperate now. Officiating overshadows everything, and coaches such as Phil Jackson don't help. When asked about Donaghy's allegations about Game 6 of the 2002 playoff game, Jackson actually said this: “There's a lot of things going on in these games, and they're su ious.”

The at ude is part of everything now, and Stern could react in several ways. Cutting away identifiable figures such as Bavetta and Crawford would be one.

But that shouldn't be Stern's responsibility, and it shouldn't be the call of the one he hired to oversee officiating, Stu Jackson. Stern instead needs to make a powerful move — something that changes all perceptions.

He needs to find a way to remove referees from his umbrella. He needs to form an independent branch that doesn't care about television or business, and this branch has to have an autonomous boss.

Until then, there will be whistles, and there will be su ions.

[email protected]
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...n.3e9998c.html

I'm a chessplayer. Are you?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing they should work on...

--For one, instead of concentrating on the dress codes and addressing "flopping" issues, maybe Stern should do something about the constant whining by ALL NBA players to the refs throughout the course of the game and minimize this. Why not start fining players for this instead of the flopping? It's really getting out of hand and makes the game a lot less fun to watch when you have to watch grown men, and superstars in this league whine like babies to the refs during games...even if they have a legit case.
    When the NBA tried to reign in that sort of stuff, everyone complained that the NBA had the players on too short a leash.

I wouldn't mind a "pre-tech" whistle in conjunction with a new hand signal. The idea behind it being that, after a player or coach has said his piece but still carries on, the ref blows the "pre-tech" and the offender has three seconds to disengage with the official. I think verbal warnings are too confrontational and sometimes words and tone could be misinterpreted and for that, actually escalate the situation instead of diffusing it.

On to fixing...

Of course, it's easy to say that if the fix was in, the Lakers/Celtics/Bulls/Sixers etc. would win every year. But wouldn't it look fixed in that instance? If there is a fix in, it's hard to see through all of the seemingly self-defeating results.

But "seemingly" is the key word. Not a one of us sits in that smoke-filled room with Stern and company. They may have profitable and self-serving reasons for fixing the 2004 Finals in favor of the Pistons, despite the apparent can't-miss cash cow that a Lakers win would bring (that was one example - this thread has shown many others). They may have a whole new set of metrics and demographics to justify the results that they script. Perhaps those results are beneficial to certain stockholders, certain players, franchises...who really knows?

Am I sold on a fixed NBA? Not necessarily, but I don't think it's impossible considering the vast amounts of money at stake. (The same goes for all big-time sports)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the things that have been said in the last 24 hours about this, the most interesting thing is Bob Delaney's statement that nobody from the league has talked to him about Donaghy. I'm somehow inclined to believe Delaney in that statement -- perhaps based on the nature of his past and the fact that he stands to lose a great deal by crossing the league -- and it's extremely interesting to me that he would say that in the face of Stern's adamance that the league had interviewed each of its officials about the Donaghy situation. While Delaney's statement otherwise shouted down Donaghy, he did seemingly admit that the league/the Commissioner has misrepresented the nature (or the extent) of its investigation into the Donaghy matter, given that Stern has insisted that the league has interviewed all of its officials on this subject.

I also think it will be interesting to see if anyone can find Ted Bernhardt and see what he -- now a former official who was at the top of the profession in 2001-03, but who left the league's officiating ranks by early in the 2005-06 season -- has to say about any of this.
    Last edited by FromWayDowntown; 06-11-2008 at 11:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stern could start of with his resignation

dude is a fukn for the last 10 years seriously which has overshadowed what he has achieve earlier in his management......

lookn back at it he shouldve step up to the plate and made serious n changes that doesnt put the game in disrepute.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The only way to save face is for Stern to step down and for the entire officiating crew to be cleaned out. Start fresh.

I'd also look into adding video replay challenges the way they have it in football. 2 per half. With all the commercials they run it wouldn't slow the game down at all. Just review the challenge during the TV timeouts.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never exactly understood how it's such a scandal when the Lakers had a FTA advantage of 40-25 in a game they won, but nobody mentions that the Kings had FTA advantages of 38-25 and 35-15 against the Lakers earlier in the series in games they won, one of which might have been in LA. Where's the investigation about those games?

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've never exactly understood how it's such a scandal when the Lakers had a FTA advantage of 40-25 in a game they won, but nobody mentions that the Kings had FTA advantages of 38-25 and 35-15 against the Lakers earlier in the series in games they won, one of which might have been in LA. Where's the investigation about those games?
    Not to mention 10 ft's in the 4th qtr of the 40 ft's total were off intentional fouls committed by Sacramento.

Somehow, not one media tool bringing this up has figured that out.

What is for sure is it pales in comparison to a 38-10 ft attempt differential in this year's NBA finals that featured NO intentional fouls. Yet, hardly a peep about that game.

The Sacramento Game 6 thing is an urban myth, a fallacy.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention 10 ft's in the 4th qtr of the 40 ft's total were off intentional fouls committed by Sacramento.

Somehow, not one media tool bringing this up has figured that out.

What is for sure is it pales in comparison to a 38-10 ft attempt differential in this year's NBA finals that featured NO intentional fouls. Yet, hardly a peep about that game.

The Sacramento Game 6 thing is an urban myth, a fallacy.
    Oh please. Don't come in here and act like you agree with me, when in truth, you only think the games the Lakers lose are the fixed ones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can tell you one thing.
    Spurs FO would NOT want Stern to step down.

I think that the Spurs have pretty good connections.

In general, the NBA is as little fixed as business allows it to be.

But saying there is no little fixing here and there is a total absurdity.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    David Sperm became League Commish in 1984.

The League's first "Lottery Draft" was held in 1985.

In 1985 you had Boston, L.A. and the 76ers leading the league. You had Chicago and Detroit as a good, up and coming teams. Now all you needed was to secure the biggest TV market in the country to complete the revitalization of a league that in 1978-79 was failing.

In the late 1970's teams were practially going out of business. Values were down, attendance was low and even the Finals were not on Live Television. Then came Bird and Magic who saved the league. Then along came Jordan and the future was bright under Larry O'brien.

So Stern takes over in 1984. He ins ute's the Lottery for some reason and in 1985 the biggest name in basketball goes to the biggest Market in the country. Patrick Ewing to the Knicks with the #1 lotter pick. Reconstruction complete!

David Stern's legacy started in 1985 with what was his first questionable act and it has continued for 23 years since then.

Stern is a smart Business Man. He understands what sells and to some degree he is sort of a teflan commish. But if you look closely at the last 25 years, it is easy to find the one common thread. The old addege "the buck stops here" could easily be replaced by Sterns philosophy "The Buck Starts Here"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as bright under Larry O'brien.

So Stern takes over in 1984. He ins ute's the Lottery for some reason and in 1985 the biggest name in basketball goes to the biggest Market in the country. Patrick Ewing to the Knicks with the #1 lotter pick. Reconstruction complete!
    That doesn't explain how the ratings low Spurs get BOTH David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Surely, Duncan at least would go to the Celtics....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way to save face is for Stern to step down and for the entire officiating crew to be cleaned out. Start fresh.

I'd also look into adding video replay challenges the way they have it in football. 2 per half. With all the commercials they run it wouldn't slow the game down at all. Just review the challenge during the TV timeouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think firing all of the officials is a solution. I think there are a number of officials who are working in the NBA now who really do a good job and I think the game would be worse off it those officials were no longer working for the league.

I do think it would help a lot for the league to have its officials studied objectively (to the extent that such a thing is possible) and in a non-directed way (don't try to have the study prove or disprove any particular thing). I'd also like to see the league take action in response to the study -- fire officials who are calling games incorrectly and don't simply give in to seniority. I think the league should also publish the general conclusions that such a study might develop, even if it doesn't provide a report detailing the results for each official on an individual basis.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don't think firing all of the officials is a solution. I think there are a number of officials who are working in the NBA now who really do a good job and I think the game would be worse off it those officials were no longer working for the league.

I do think it would help a lot for the league to have its officials studied objectively (to the extent that such a thing is possible) and in a non-directed way (don't try to have the study prove or disprove any particular thing). I'd also like to see the league take action in response to the study -- fire officials who are calling games incorrectly and don't simply give in to seniority. I think the league should also publish the general conclusions that such a study might develop, even if it doesn't provide a report detailing the results for each official on an individual basis.
    Most would agree the refs overall are awful whether you do or not.

But if you are going to keep the awful refs, just having them assigned randomly to playoff games using a random number generator or lottery ping pong ball system would eliminate 95% of the conspiracy theories.

It is comical to see Stern holding on to his control of the officiating assignments like it is the Holy Grail. Without it, the league might actually have games with random outcomes where the best team might win a majority of the time, wouldn't want to risk that!

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That doesn't explain how the ratings low Spurs get BOTH David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Surely, Duncan at least would go to the Celtics....
    Dude in 1989 when the Spurs got Robinson, Stern probably didn't even notice. He had Bird and Magic at the end of their great careers. He had Michael Jordan approaching the Apex of his great career. He had Isiah and the Pistons winning 2 Championships in Detroit and he had Ewing in New York.

He could not have given a about a small market down in Texas.

Thread Information