Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about that... it's about how well the Spurs match up with them and what the game plan will be and how well it will be executed. I still can't believe that some of you guys still can't seem to understand that it is always something different with a different team... Different teams give the Spurs different problems...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers will be tougher. They have Kobe who is on a mission, and the Spurs have no answer for Odom.
    Thomas can't keep Odom from having a big series, he is not a great offensive player. Between Oberto, Duncan, Thomas, a little bit of Horry, we got plenty of bigs to check him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No you didn't. You didn't just say that Gasol=Duncan. C'mon now.
    Obviously, Duncan is a much greater player. But strictly looking at the numbers, they will have similar output.

Duncan will have his 15-20 points a game + 10 rebounds, Gasol will get his 15-20 points a game and 10 rebounds give or take a couple points/rebounds.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If the Lakers are banking on Odom winning this series... well... that's just sad.
    umm he the tired option, so that means after Kobe drops 30 a night and Pau another 20-25, Lamar should score more than enough for the Lakers to win 4 straight. I seriously hope you're not counting on mister 14.4 points per game Timmay to carry your pathetic offense game. your only hope is Manu flops and gets calls

Thank you, Tim Duncan! peskypesky's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about that... it's about how well the Spurs match up with them and what the game plan will be and how well it will be executed. I still can't believe that some of you guys still can't seem to understand that it is always something different with a different team... Different teams give the Spurs different problems...
    Duh. That's what this thread is about.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wow there are some pretty stupid comments in this thread, but it's no different than what Laker fans are saying on our messageboards. Fans, by and large, are myopic. I've yet to offer any predictions because I honestly don't know how this series will play out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No you didn't. You didn't just say that Gasol=Duncan. C'mon now.
    I guess i should put Manu with Kobe now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, Duncan is a much greater player. But strictly looking at the numbers, they will have similar output.

Duncan will have his 15-20 points a game + 10 rebounds, Gasol will get his 15-20 points a game and 10 rebounds.
    You can't just look at two stats to compare Duncan and Gasol! You know better than that. Are you going to ignore the fact that Tim is a first-team all-NBA defender ONCE AGAIN? Are you going to ignore the fact that teams (like the Hornets) often resort to double-teaming Duncan to contain him? I don't think many teams have had to do that to Gasol, with all due respect. I could go on, but why waste my time? You know you're just being foolish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan will have his 15-20 points a game + 10 rebounds, Gasol will get his 15-20 points a game and 10 rebounds give or take a couple points/rebounds.
    If Phil does not double Duncan he will go for 25 and 12 a game in this series without breaking a sweat. Gasol can't check Timmy to save his life.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Duncan wasnt double during the last meeting of the regular season between lakers and spurs.... and that turned out pretty well for the lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odom's underrated, he's no less talented that Tony Parker or Manu, he's one of the big 3 for the Lakers, not anymore strange than Tony Parker or Manu winning the series for the Spurs.

And yes, I believe Odom was the key Laker player in the Jazz series....he was beast worthy.
    He's definitely not a , but I'm expecting him to disappear, minus a couple of games. We'll just have to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh. That's what this thread is about.
    Oh really? There's obviously no way to know until they meet... This can't be a yes and no question.. they can either match the way they played and make one or two better plays or play worse...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you put Duncan on Gasol, that leaves Oberto and Thomas on Odom.

Boozer who's better than both tried to guard Odom in the Jazz series, he just couldn't keep up and was constantly fouling out trying to stop Odom. And Odom still got his 18 points, 11 rebounds a game.
    18pts 11rebounds?? that's it? we can live w/that. West from the HOrnets was killing us compare to that.

Duncan is pretty much evened out by Gasol.

you talking about delusional? that's as delusional as it comes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan wasnt double during the last meeting of the regular season between lakers and spurs.... and that turned out pretty well for the lakers.

Read that again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should ask the Hornets and Cavs how much a Spurs give about regular season games. Idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Lakers are banking on Odom winning this series... well... that's just sad.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You can't just look at two stats to compare Duncan and Gasol! You know better than that. Are you going to ignore the fact that Tim is a first-team all-NBA defender ONCE AGAIN? Are you going to ignore the fact that teams (like the Hornets) often resort to double-teaming Duncan to contain him? I don't think many teams have had to do that to Gasol, with all due respect. I could go on, but why waste my time? You know you're just being foolish.
    No, no,no, I ain't talking about intangibles. I'm the first to say Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time. And yes, you're right, you can't just look at the numbers but this is just about the numbers...remove the intangibles for a minute

I know Duncan is greater than Pau. It's like Bowen stopping Kobe. He doesn't really stop Kobe, but he does a pretty good job. In a similar way, the Duncan/Pau matchup isn't any dominating advantage for the Spurs.

For example, just looking at box scores, in the last game against the Spurs, Duncan had 16 points, Pau had 14, Duncan with 12 rebounds, Pau with 11.

Strictly head to head matchups (no intangibles like late game shots, 3 pointers with 2 seconds left, etc), the numbers are pretty much even for the two. Or in other words, just looking at boxscores.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    umm he the tired option, so that means after Kobe drops 30 a night and Pau another 20-25, Lamar should score more than enough for the Lakers to win 4 straight. I seriously hope you're not counting on mister 14.4 points per game Timmay to carry your pathetic offense game. your only hope is Manu flops and gets calls
    How many shots will Kobe take for those 30 points? And how many shots will Gasol take for his? And how many shots do you think will be left for everyone else? If the Lakers play very well and efficiently, then you might have a point, but I'm sure the Spurs will be up to the challenge.

But you are right about one thing: Odom is the tired option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

+1....

How can you say they will cancel each other out when Duncan is a great defender... and great offensive player in the playoffs?

The Gasol=Duncan is just re ed.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Did you watch the series, head?

Paul played better than any PG has in the ING history of BASKETBALL!!!!

He didn't turn the ball over. He made every look he got. He set up his teammates greatly and made Chandler look like an all star.

Ive watched the lakers play 4 times in the playoffs and they haven't executed better. If the conference semifinals were switched we'd be getting ready for the Hornets right now.

What are you talking about? Better than any PG in the history of basketball?

Look, I know you are just a blind homer....but that is a very unintelligent statement. His team got blown out in 3 games, didn't win a road game and lost at home in Game 7 where the opposing PG used him over and over again.

That is the best PG series in the history of basketball? OK Okie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odom is as good as Manu or Parker?

and Laker fans say we are delusional?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    18pts 11rebounds?? that's it? we can live w/that. West from the HOrnets was killing us compare to that.
    West is the #1 option on the Hornets on offense. Odom is the 3rd option and him getting his 18 will be like Peja getting his 20 points on...very hard to beat.

When the teams are so evenly matched, you gotta look beyond the #1, #2 option for the edge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry but when you compare Gasol to Duncan you're going to get laughed at.

That's like comparing Vince Carter with Michael Jordan.

Comparing Odom with Ginobili or Parker is equally ludicrious. Odom is a quality player, however, he hasn't lead his team to a gold medal, or an NBA Finals.

LA has Kobe Bryant. They have a good point guard in Derek Fisher. They have a post presence in Gasol and Odom. Their bench players are mediocore.

If Bynum was available I might be more concerned.

I believe the Hornets are the tougher matchup between the two teams. However, I do think LA could've taken NO.

LA is a better matchup for the Spurs. Plain and simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Lakers are just as convinced as some of their fans that Gasol = Duncan. I really do.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I hope the Lakers are just as convinced as some of their fans that Gasol = Duncan. I really do.
    I didn't say Gasol = Duncan, I said he evens him out in numbers

Thread Information