Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner was horrible. I would have liked to see Pop give Udoka more minutes in the first 1/2 rather than just throw him in there in the 2nd half. Finley is looking like he's on his last run already this season....not a good sign.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The Mavs are winning the championship this season. We lucked out by not playing them last year in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rebounding was big factor in the loss, but the ball was just no falling especially on inside scoring. We were also missing a 4th scorer after the big three, Finley had just 10 points. Normally one other person steps up. I also noticed that Darius Washington did not seem comfortable with actually taking shots. I dont know if Pop just wants him distributing and not too much shooting, but sometimes you have to take the initiative. Even as poor as we shot we still stayed in the game most of the way and I look for a better shooting and rebounding performance tonight. I think the Rockets just had too many bigs in the paint for us to really get anything going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the playoffs, a team has never used that strategy to eliminate the Spurs. Teams have won a game like that but the Spurs adjust and Duncan beats teams single-handedly.

I'd welcome any team to hug the three-point shooters like the Rockets did tonight. Try that in the playoffs and the Spurs historically show they'll either sweep you or beat you in five.
    Yao is capable of bothering Tim for long stretches. Granted, the playoffs are a different story, but in the past Tim's always had DRob around when he had to play an elite center.

Houston is going to be a tough matchup. By the end of the year, maybe even tougher than the Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly is your point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yao is capable of bothering Tim for long stretches. Granted, the playoffs are a different story, but in the past Tim's always had DRob around when he had to play an elite center.

Houston is going to be a tough matchup. By the end of the year, maybe even tougher than the Mavs.
    For all the criticism Rasho received these were the situations where he was the most useful. Defending Yao, Shaq and even KG was his speciality. So TD is really facinfg these guys alone (or with little help) for only the second season.

How did we do against those three last year? Didn't injuries play a part (I know Shaq's decline is becoming quite obvious)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the criticism Rasho received these were the situations where he was the most useful. Defending Yao, Shaq and even KG was his speciality. So TD is really facinfg these guys alone (or with little help) for only the second season.

How did we do against those three last year? Didn't injuries play a part (I know Shaq's decline is becoming quite obvious)?
    I think Rasho was a better defender than Elson at this point. Elson looked lost or just plain missed assignments last night.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    After last night

Yao > Duncan

LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Rasho was a better defender than Elson at this point. Elson looked lost or just plain missed assignments last night.
    Rasho was a much better defender than Elson. He knew the system well and was rarely out of place in defensive sets. Just ask Tony what he thought of Rasho's screen and other similar stuff. But he was always criticized for his offensive performance (or lack of) both in terms of points and rebounds (his defensive rebs were also not stellar).

But my point was in regards to those specific - to use timvp's word - "elite" bigmen. As Shoogar noted first there was Robinson to help with those and after him came Rasho who's best moments were always against those bigmen. How much is the lack of help in defending them a factor? Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After last night

Yao > Duncan

LOL
    Of course it is. And then you woke up because you had to pee.

My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count
    This thread is nice since I couldn't watch the game! Way to go Timvp!
    Same here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).
    http://www.nba.com/games/20070303/SASHOU/boxscore.html <<Yao DNP (W)

http://www.nba.com/games/20070211/SASMIA/boxscore.html << outrebounded 46-30 (L)

http://www.nba.com/games/20070103/SASMIN/boxscore.html << outrebounded 41-39 Garnett had 17 rebounds. (L)

http://www.nba.com/games/20061222/HOUSAS/boxscore.html<< Yao played and go outrebounded 38-33 (L)

Name you'd love to touch maxpower's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, what are your random thoughts on Duncan waving off Pop after he picked up a quick second foul and after his 4th foul?

Did Pop just want to get Duncan to his normal rest time or is this a sign of something new.

I was really surprised he allowed Duncan to remain in after his 4th foul as the game was at a point where the rockets, with the lead could have really made an attempt to get another foul on Duncan and really take control of the game.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Of course it is. And then you woke up because you had to pee.
    Yep and I dreamed last night that:

Yao 28 pts 13 rebounds 6 assist

Duncan 14 pts 10 rebounds 1 assist

Pretty good dream if ya ask me LOL

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugly game all around. For as bad as the Spurs were from the line, the Rockets somehow managed to be worse.

Yao impressed me. I've seen plenty of Rockets games where he's either completely gassed by the fourth or simply disapears but he came up big down the stretch.

As for Bonzi Wells, I propose we take a page from Lawrence Taylor's playbook. Only instead of sending hookers we start sending cases of Krispy Kremes to Bonzi's place until he can't get out the front door. Because on the court it just seems the Spurs don't have an answer and won't have one any time soon.

BOX OUT, REBOUND, REPEAT. Pop should force everyone to walk around with that written on their foreheads for the rest of the week.

Spurs didn't guard against the 3 very well though I suspect some of them were the result of offensive boards for the Rockets getting the ball back to the perimeter before the Spurs could get back into their defense. Every time the Spurs started looking like there was hope they'd give up a wide open dagger three.

And I'll say what you're all thinking-if we had Beno we would have won last night.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    What appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Rockets are just a superior team this season. Yao's size is clearly too much for Duncan. They have an excellent new coach in Adelman who Bonzi will actually play for. And they are able to beat the Spurs with TMac having an off night. Things don't look good for the Spurs.

Saint David - the miracle worker Sweetey's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not like the way the Spurs played last night ! They looked lethargic and uninterested. But with 6 months to go until playoff time, I am not the least bit concerned. They'll be just fine and we WILL win #5 !! Book it !!

Saint David - the miracle worker Sweetey's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me make this comment simple... I don't think most of you quite understand......

Bonner sucks.
    Bonner does NOT suck. The ENTIRE Spurs team sucked a big one last night. Don't blame it on Bonner.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Okay i was not able to watch the game last night. So i need some clarifications.

After going to the Mavs vs. Rockets game and seeing the mavs run the rockets up and down the court thereby tiring out Yao and making him less effective in the 4th quarter i thought the Spurs would handle the Rox.

So was the pace too slow allowing Yao to play 42 minutes and kill you? The score seems low so my guess is the pace was slow?

And Timmy's numbers were bad. Was it an off night or did they so something special against him? Because if Timmy gets his usuall 23-24 points the Spurs win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are in trouble if they face the Rox in the playoffs. Bonzi is a spurs killer, Yao's length bothers TP and TD on the inside block, Battier is a great defender and a decent shooter on the 3 and of course there's always gonna be Tmac who always goes off against us. It's a psychological thing, they know they can win against us.
    The Spurs have a winning at ude and I believe in it. At ude for me is more important than skills and personnel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^but I would welcome Dwight Howard anytime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But my point was in regards to those specific - to use timvp's word - "elite" bigmen. As Shoogar noted first there was Robinson to help with those and after him came Rasho who's best moments were always against those bigmen. How much is the lack of help in defending them a factor? Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).
    Spurs played Miami twice-- once without Shaq, Spurs won. Once with Shaq, Spurs lost.

Spurs played Houston 4 times-- twice with Yao (1-1); twice without Yao (1-1).

I do remember one game where Yao was dominating Oberto and Elson, but Pop switched Tim onto him and he did a great job. The Spurs have no one but Tim to cover those guys. NO ONE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yao proved me wrong last night, because I did not believe he had the stamina to last that many minutes and play well. Can he keep it up for 82 games plus the playoffs? Who knows. This Houston team has a lot of weapons. Battier is one of the NBA's best defenders, Bonzi is long for his position and the Spurs can't contain him, Yao is a freak of nature, T-mac has the skills of Kobe or Wade, and Scola brings energy off the bench.

Out of all the Spurs current and potential bigs, which ones cn play Yao, other than Duncan? Oberto is too small, and Elson not pushy enough. Splitter has great size and strength, but he's 1-2 years away.

I still think in a 7 game series the Spurs win against the Rockets. Duncan, Manu, Bowen and Parker are just tougher, more compe ive players. But the West is so deep anything could happen. New Orleans could also be in the mix.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Rockets are just a superior team this season. Yao's size is clearly too much for Duncan. They have an excellent new coach in Adelman who Bonzi will actually play for. And they are able to beat the Spurs with TMac having an off night. Things don't look good for the Spurs.

What also appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Spurs sucked last night.

They actually haven't played that well this season yet...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs played Miami twice-- once without Shaq, Spurs won. Once with Shaq, Spurs lost.

Spurs played Houston 4 times-- twice with Yao (1-1); twice without Yao (1-1).

I do remember one game where Yao was dominating Oberto and Elson, but Pop switched Tim onto him and he did a great job. The Spurs have no one but Tim to cover those guys. NO ONE.

This is not good. In an age where the NBA has slated all rules to allow for small ball and big teams like the Rockets still succeed, we have to find a way to defend both types. I hope the Spurs can come up with a system of defense that can slow Yao without slowing Duncan as well (putting TD on Yao). Otherwise, we will be just like all the other teams that have to make their best player lead both offense and defense. Those teams lose.

Thread Information