Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Parker for being a team first player. I'm not sure how many players would actively recruit a player who plays the same position.
    he knows he's better than the guy, so it's no big deal. If it was Steve Nash and then maybe he would flinch, but maybe not because at this point Tony is better than just about every PG.

Bruce!...don't Bump The Mango Tree koopa's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not really a PG.
    He's a small shooting guard.
    He only averaged about 3 assists in 30 minutes with Panathinaikos in 05-06.

i read this looking up this guy

Spanoulis averaged 15.5 points and 3.1 assists (equivalent to 6.2 assists by NBA score keeping methods)

it's from wikipedia so i don't know how true that is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i read this looking up this guy

Spanoulis averaged 15.5 points and 3.1 assists (equivalent to 6.2 assists by NBA score keeping methods)

it's from wikipedia so i don't know how true that is
    It's a little exaggerated.

Even if it has some flows, a quick analysis allow to compare nba assists to euroleague assists :

In 05-06, when Spanoulis played the euroleague, teams have averaged 12.5 assists per game.
    Last year in nab, teams have averaged 21.3 assist per game.
    Euroleague games are only 40 min long. 12.5 assists per 40 min is 15 assists per 48 min.

Spanoulis 3.1 assists in euroleague are equivalent to 4.4 assists in nba.

We are the Championship ggoose25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a parker-esque number

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I've been saying, this trade was entirely about salary dump and the money. The Spurs have no intention of improving this offseason. Vassilis won't sign, and Holt is wasting Duncan's prime in the name of $$$. That's why they nixed the Scola and Butler for Kobe trade.

Oh and, I like the Udoka signing. That said, it doesn't improve the team.

Fixed

Bruce!...don't Bump The Mango Tree koopa's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wasting duncan's prime??? you do know we just won this years championship right??? you do know we have won 3 out of the 5 championships right??? you do realize this is a different era and that it's not as easy to keep championship teams together cause of salary cap and right???

i guess you can't satisfy everyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Even if it has some flows, a quick analysis allow to compare nba assists to euroleague assists :

In 05-06, when Spanoulis played the euroleague, teams have averaged 12.5 assists per game.
    Euroleague games are only 40 min long. 12.5 assists per 40 min is 15 assists per 48 min.

I don't know if you can just throw number like that Bruno...
    I mean it's just like parker/nash. If you compare assist numbers you'll conclude that nash is 3times the playmaker/passer parker is. But in reality it's just two times :p . Averages depends a lot of the team / the system / what the coach want from a player.
    And yes you have to translate averages, but you have to compare team points average and points per possesion (FG% kinda).
    As I said earlier, yes he's more a score first PG but his ability to push the ball and drive/dish makes him a real spurs PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I disagree with your logic, mainly because of how assists are counted in the Euroleague compared with the NBA.

If memory serves an assist in the Euroleague is counted only if the ball is passed towards the basket, so if for example TP penetrates under the basket and instead of scoring passes the ball backwards (away from the basket) to Rasho for a dunk it wouldn't count as an assist in the Euroleague while it would in the NBA.

Correct? I'm writing this from memory I'm pretty sure you have a rule book stashed somewhere

If I'm right that would explain why there's less assists in the Euroleague than they are in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like I've been saying, this trade was entirely about salary dump and the money. The Spurs have no intention of improving this offseason. Vassilis won't sign, and Holt is wasting Duncan's prime in the name of $$$. That's why they nixed the Scola and Butler for Kobe trade.

I know...

And that's exactly the kind of PG Pop wants. ...

That's why Barry stays in his doghouse...inspite of having the truest PG mind and skill set on the team.

That's why every one from Jacque Vaugh to CJ Watson try to score on multiple defenders in the paint, from the second they enter the game with seemingly little or no reprimand from Spurs brass.
    Thank you for being a constant, undeniable reminder that Darwin was right.

Sorry, I know that's complicated...let me translate: Oook oook. Ball-scratch. Display bright-red left ass-cheek.
    Last edited by GSH; 08-16-2007 at 03:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Whottt copping crap for a fake timvp post...

People re-read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secondly - this stuff is all completely baseless, Parker and V-Span played each other and the truth probably stops there.

There is a good chance Parker (possibly at Front Office direction) spoke to Spanoulis though I must admit... whether that had any effect either wayis yet to be seen.

Also I agree the Spurs have put themselves in a win-win (if you discount the fact they traded two bigman prospects for this scenario) situation. It's either roster spot/dollars or a backup point guard.

Hopefully for the fans - the later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with your logic, mainly because of how assists are counted in the Euroleague compared with the NBA.
    That's what I'm saying.
    An euroleague assist isn't the same thing than a nba assist. And as you have said the same play could will credit a player of an assist in nba and not in euroleague.

My computation was just to have an idea on how much assists Spanoulis would have make in euroleague with nba assist counting rule. As I said there are some flows in my computation but I think it gives a quite good approximation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if you can just throw number like that Bruno...
    I mean it's just like parker/nash. If you compare assist numbers you'll conclude that nash is 3times the playmaker/passer parker is.
    I'm not saying that Spanoulis will average 4.4 assists in 30 min in SA. I was just trying to show that you can't say that 3 euroleague assists are like 6 nba assists.

Averages depends a lot of the team / the system / what the coach want from a player.
    Agree and for doubters, one of the best proof of that is Billups assists stats under Sanders compared to his number under Brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I'm saying.
    An euroleague assist isn't the same thing than a nba assist. And as you have said the same play could will credit a player of an assist in nba and not in euroleague.

My computation was just to have an idea on how much assists Spanoulis would have make in euroleague with nba assist counting rule. As I said there are some flows in my computation but I think it gives a quite good approximation.
    Oook eeek. Peel banana. Bare teeth and throw poop at innocent bystanders. (Sorry, all primates look alike to me. That was a formula converting Euroleague assists into NHL power plays.)

The Spurs are having to deal with a shortage of roster spots. Meanwhile, the Suns are carrying Grant Hill, Eric Piatkowski, and Sean Marks. (No offense to Marks, but he's there for the same reason Kevin Willis is on the Mavs roster - Spurs knowledge.) The Mavs are carrying Pops Mensa-Bonsu and Didier Ilunga-Mbenga, and they are excited to have picked up Jose Barea. And the two of them (Suns and Mavs) are competing to bring in P.J. Brown. Better still, the winner will be paying lux tax dollars for him.

I promise you the Spurs didn't take Spanoulis in hopes of paying him $2 Million this season.
    Last edited by GSH; 08-16-2007 at 04:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23041.shtml

Spurs: Will Spanoulis Join the Spurs?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Bill Ingram
    for HOOPSWORLD.com
    Aug 16, 2007, 09:09

It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that the Spurs' trade of Jackie Butler and Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for point guard Vassilis Spanoulis was done strictly to clear roster space. Butler was never going to crack the rotation and Scola wasn't about to join a team that didn't have a starting role for him. It made perfect sense, then, to deal both of them. The fact that they were able to deal them for a player who was unlikely to do anything but welcome a buyout was so much the better. It would leave the Spurs room to sign Ime Udoka and possibly one more free agent - like Troy Hudson, for example.

That was all before Spanoulis dropped 15 points and a load of assists against France in international play last week. Now rumors are flying that Tony Parker is lobbying the Spurs to push for Spanoulis to actually join the team. Spanoulis, for his part, is tired of riding an NBA bench when he could be living it up as Greece's biggest basketball star. He has made no secret of his intention to play for Panathinaikos next season. There's a pretty good chance that even if Parker could persuade the Spurs to reach out to Spanoulis they would find him unwilling to return to the NBA - even if it means playing for a championship.

Then again, the word was that San Antonio was going to release Spanoulis by August 7th, which they didn't do. Why not? Is something going on there?

The Spurs have only two roster spots open and one is most certainly going to Udoka, who is working out final details on a contract that has been in the works for several weeks. The rumor mill has either Marcus Williams or Tiago Splitter landing the last spot, though neither is particularly likely. Williams didn't have much of a showing in summer league and is far more likely to find himself with the Austin Toros than the Spurs. Splitter is also unlikely, as the Spurs have no intention of bringing him over from Europe this year.

San Antonio was among the first teams to reach out to Troy Hudson when it came out that the Timberwolves were going to look at scenarios to move out their veterans. They are said to be leading in the bid for Hudson's services, a move that would also rule out Spanoulis' return to the NBA.

In short, it's interesting that rumors have arisen regarding a new kinship between Spanoulis and Tony Parker. Perhaps this is Tony's way of ignoring his new wife's pandering in the media about her desire to have ten kids. It's strange how America fixates of the slightest little thing celebrities say. As for the Spurs, it doesn't seem that they're making room for Spanoulis any time soon.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Actually I hope that Vspan joins the Spurs and makes something of himself. That way that whiny little biotch will have completely OWN JVG. LOL

From a certified JVG hata
    Last edited by Indazone; 08-16-2007 at 11:07 AM.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Hey guys, V-Span is definitely not another Manu. Trust me, I traded for him. If Vagina-Span couldn't handle JVG's hard nosed style, what makes you guys think he can do well under Pop? He'd be crying a river walk over there on the bench next to Pop.

The kid got lots of minutes in the preseason and at the start of the season due to injuries. Let's just say that he is a turnover machine. Sure he showed flashes of being a good player but then he'll throw the ball away. Oh yeah, he has a horrible jumpshot, dude had lots of open looks when he played and bricked most of them. The only positives are that he attacks the basket, pesky defender and is a flopper (surprised?). He just never looked comfortable out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio would be REALLY upgraded if the guy becomes the scond PG in the team... the way we play ball is more international than any other NBA team... i want this kid.... trade the out of Beno...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently .......

seems to indicate...

Apparently...

It was also reported...

It was reported...

They also apparently reported...

Spanoulis has supposedly ...

because they believe he is "another Manu."

Supposedly...

"in practice you are every bit as good if not better than Steve Nash is, Jeff is just so damn mean and stupid."

And that "when the season ended I told the owner if he did not fire the coach I would go back to China. I simply cannot stand his ridiculous crap and antics anymore, I have been taking this crap from him for so long now."

wow. this article is crazy

Van gundy is probably a , but Spanoulis might be another Beno as well. interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the Rockets board, they are convinced Scola is gonna be a force

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Scola is a rookie like Landry. They need to sign Landry and Harris so they can all compete for the PF spot. Not sure if Scola is going to rebound as well as Hayes Landry or Harris.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Vspan will be a good contributor. The reason I hate JVG is that he puts players in the doghouse and he keeps em rotting on the bench. He doesn't develop young players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is that we've got the watermelon and the knife, es!!!

I'm using that phrase at least 5 times today in general conversation, even when it's not applicable/appropriate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you for being a constant, undeniable reminder that Darwin was right.

Sorry, I know that's complicated...let me translate: Oook oook. Ball-scratch. Display bright-red left ass-cheek.

LMAO...I've never seen anyone kick their own ass as badly as you just did...Chuck.

Read again, consider the intent of my post, try to think in new ways, that your stupid mind has never concieved of thinking before...let it sink in just how stupid you are for the post you just made...even when the technology of the board tried to protect you from your own stupidity..

Realize how utterly stupid you are...then never attempt to run Darwin award smack at anyone again since the only person in this thread stupid enough to be inline for a Darwin award...is you...stupid.

There is nothing worse than a complete idiot that thinks he's smart.

Thread Information