Post Count
    For all those obsessed with size… I present to you a small PP doing work:

PP = Playoff Performer

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about girth!

Ingram was in Dorture chamber all series long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size definitely matters. Center of gravity also matters a lot when it comes to holding position. Low man wins, etc. it’s why brooks was able to frustrate wemby so much.

it’s in bent on ingram to use his length, long strides, high release to take advantage of the shorter defender the way durant does

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over, I'll show you size doesn't matter.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s not mention that Dort has a 6’8” wingspan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foul?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ingram has taken years and hasnt learned like wemby did after half a season....

If you are skinny - skinner than KD - like ingram and wemby -
    you have to sell fouls - you have to learn what the refs will do to make the defender stop draping themselves onto your frame and not allowing you to move freely

wemby was drawing "steffie" type whistles by the end of the season and it bodes well for the spurs future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t act ignorant, size does matter.

Remember how proud you were of your old 32” CRT color TV, until you saw the new 65” HD plasma TVs!

Go on, convince your significant other that 32” is better than 65.” I dare you!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the post, hard disagree with the premise.

Basketball might well be one of the sports where size (and height) matters the most. One bad matchup/series/player isn't changing reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size matters. See the Suns overpowered by T’Wolves. Jokic manhandled Davis down low. Especially in the playoffs when the game goes slower, and more when you get to the 2nd round through the Finals. Every possession counts.

Wemby would need big bodies to take some of the beating

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size matters. See the Suns overpowered by T’Wolves. Jokic manhandled Davis down low. Especially in the playoffs when the game goes slower, and more when you get to the 2nd round through the Finals. Every possession counts.

I watched Ingram take a beating from Dort and Ingram just basically gave up.

He allowed Dort to impose his will and yes - Dort - is much much stronger than Ingram.
    Had Ingram learned anything the past few years, he would have easily fouled out Dort or torched him by living at the free throw line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size matters, but it doesn't matter in the same ways it used to. Guys like Dort, Smart and White can totally guard most perimeter players. Being strong, sturdy and savvy are critical. Too much emphasis is placed on players being able to see the rim while shooting, which is where the attachment to height comes in. Most modern scorers shoot so much that vision isn't that important, especially since you can train for that. What is important is being able to get to those spots where the scorer has practiced shooting, since the power and angle they put into those shots has been honed. A girthy player allowed to be physical can push a scorer off their spots, which will drop their percentage more than a taller guy putting a hand in the face of a scorer who was able to get to his spot uncontested.

It's not a fluke that Ingram struggled against Dort or Wemby struggled against Williams and Brooks. Certain types of offense are more susceptible to that kind of defense than others. That doesn't mean that you want to only have short stocky defenders. Long, rangy guys can play passing lanes and help protect the rim. Quick guys can cut off lanes, slip in for charges, provide full-court pressure, etc. The Spurs could use any of these archetypes, from a guy with Collier's build but with more defensive chops for a guy with Dillingham's quickness but with more chutzpah to someone with Castle's length. They aren't limited to one archetype right now with so many long-term holes to fill. It's important that whichever path they go that they have a plan on how to turn those weaknesses into positive or mostly neutral traits. I chose to focus on PGs here, but obviously fowardss have a similar range of types, from stocky guys like Dort to guys who are practically seven-footers like Smith to in-between guys like Sochan. The same principles apply.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wolves had McDaniels on KD and Conley is their starting point guard.
    Knicks are killing Sixers on the glass despite never having more than one player taller than 6'7 on the floor and their SF is 6'5.
    They also happen to be two best defensive teams in the playoffs so far.

Noone is saying that Spurs should build a roster of midgets, but if there's a point guard in the draft who can become a 23/8 playmaker in the playoffs, you take him. Regardless of his size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP been telling himself this since puberty. All about the motion in the ocean right?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saying that when you got Wemby on your team is kinda weird....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saying that when you got Wemby on your team is kinda weird....
    Size matters only if the player has actual NBA skills.
    Otherwise there would be no difference between Wemby, Bol Bol and Tacko Fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't simply the size as measured by height. If it was, then Muresan, Boban or some of the other giants with great height would be candidates for GOAT. What matters is the way the athlete melds his height with agility and his physical presence (weight, musculature). Wemby shows a good combination of height and agility as a rookie. I think we all would agree that he could use some added musculature without losing his agility which should come naturally as he ages, not to mention his work ethic at building a stronger body. That potential future development is what is mind bending.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "That's what he said."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like 22% of the players in the NBA are 6'3" or shorter. It's very common.

There's also this newfangled myth running around that the Spurs try to find big points, when this is more happenstance than an overriding desire. Parker was not tall. Dejounte was tall and long, but they didn't draft him specifically for those reasons. The Sochan experiment seemed less about a tall point than trying to 1) get Keldon into the starting lineup to see if it worked, and 2) go for a jumbo lineup all around.

If Dillingham can manage to be close to Parker on defense, that's just returning to the mean of twenty years for the franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tony parker was 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan, and he wasnt exactly built like a tank either (he did get a little chunkier during his porker years). and he didnt have the outside shot to help mitigate that. then again, he was an all-timer when it came to speed and creative finishing.

all i know is kemba was under 6 feet, had a successful NBA career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop already knows this. Why he played Blair/Bonner and Patty/Forbes so often

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tony parker was 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan, and he wasnt exactly built like a tank either (he did get a little chunkier during his porker years). and he didnt have the outside shot to help mitigate that. then again, he was an all-timer when it came to speed and creative finishing.

all i know is kemba was under 6 feet, had a successful NBA career
    Kemba walker (who is now playing France...) made the POs 5 times and missed them 7 times his NBA career, including his last 2 years.

He never made the finals, made the WCF once, and the semi once (the same year obviously). First round exit the 6 other years...

And TP was TP, in another era where this wasn't yet all about postionless BB and 3 pt shooting. Timmy wouldn't be as dominant if he had to play today.
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:27 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kemba walker (who is now playing France...) made the POs 5 times and missed them 7 times his NBA career, including his last 2 years.

He never made the finals, made the WCF once, and the semi once (the same year obviously). First round exit the 6 other years...

And TP was TP, in another era where this wasn't yet all about postionless BB and 3 pt shooting. Timmy wouldn't be as dominant if he had to play today.
    Kemba was tasked with being the #1 player on bad Charlotte teams most of his career. He wasn’t a good #1 option. Luckily the spurs already have their #1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Timmy pre Knee brace would dominate for sure

Post, he'd have retired a decade earlier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Kemba Walker had Wembanyama, he probably at least makes the Finals.

These takes about how small players don't win championships are kinda weird. Huge players don't win championships, either. Rudy Gobert didn't win a championship, Karl Malone didn't, Mark Eaton didn't. An insane number of good players of every body type didn't win championships. Very, very few players ever do.

Thread Information