Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we all know how NBA media works. this is basically Vic's camp putting it out there that Spurs need to be aggressive and not just sit around waiting for someone on the roster to magically turn into an all star level player
    Right, but the Spurs also shouldn't jump the gun just to appease him and his camp. We see how making moves that hurt your future draft/salary flexibility can kill your team years later with New Orleans.

They had two high-level/generational #1 picks in Davis and Williamson, but made boneheaded decisions attempting to compete quickly.

I want the Spurs to start winning just as bad as anyone else, but I don't want them to mortgage the future for a Trae Young - type (just to make Wemby happy).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, but the Spurs also shouldn't jump the gun just to appease him and his camp. We see how making moves that hurt your future draft/salary flexibility can kill your team years later with New Orleans.

They had two high-level/generational #1 picks in Davis and Williamson, but made boneheaded decisions attempting to compete quickly.

I want the Spurs to start winning just as bad as anyone else, but I don't want them to mortgage the future for a Trae Young - type (just to make Wemby happy).
    Agreed quick moves can destroy a team in the short term and in the future. I like how Denver, Boston, OKC, Minnesota has built their teams. Those models are a better model to follow than trying to build a winner through quick gains.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    76ers go into the offseason with only two players, Embiid and Paul Reed, under contract. They'll max Maxey and then look to reshape that team.
    they will do with maxey what we did with nephew

take advantage of his cap hold that is significantly lower than the contract he will end up signing. they can go after big free agents like paul george and then just sign maxey at the end

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I’ve been questioning for awhile, is Keldon done as a future piece on the spurs? I still like him as a player I just don’t know how he fits with the team anymore which bums me out because he brings some juice when he’s on. You would think we’d be set at wing with Dev/KJ/Sochan but it just doesn’t feel that way.

KJ is still only 24!!!
    He's too small (height wise), a tweener, plays horrible defense and can't start alongside Vassell & Sochan.

If I'm the Spurs I move him for a 1st round pick and try to find a better fit at the starting SF (or 6th man).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they will do with maxey what we did with nephew

take advantage of his cap hold that is significantly lower than the contract he will end up signing. they can go after big free agents like paul george and then just sign maxey at the end
    If this Knicks/76ers series shows us anything, it's that 'smallish' guards can still flourish in the modern NBA.

And that Dillingham could be a similar player for the Spurs (if he reaches his full potential).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this Knicks/76ers series shows us anything, it's that 'smallish' guards can still flourish in the modern NBA.

And that Dillingham could be a similar player for the Spurs (if he reaches his full potential).
    kemba walker measured sub 6 feet at his combine. he made the all star team 4 straight years between 2017 and 2020, firmly within the "modern era"

and he wasnt as good a shooter as dillingham in college

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

and i'm sure Wemby knows this. these "camp" narratives are just speculative posts anyway. no one knows what understanding actually exists between the Spurs and Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would say if anything this era has been tailored made for small guards the last 10-14 years due to the rule changes for defense. If you are super athletic then you will be fine as a small guard or if you have out of this world shooting like Damien Lillard, then you will thrive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t get your hopes too high. PATFO will make the Spurs’ “not-so-sexy” moves, draft the BPA, play Tre at starting PG until Topic/Dilly or whoever is ready. Make more moves by trade deadline, depends on where the team’s development is especially Vassell, Keldon, Sochan. Then, I think they splurge in 2025 for high caliber signings if ever, but not before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say if anything this era has been tailored made for small guards the last 10-14 years due to the rule changes for defense. If you are super athletic then you will be fine as a small guard or if you have out of this world shooting like Damien Lillard, then you will thrive.
    And they're all ringless too.

I'm still not convinced. Midget guards will get exposed in the playoffs one way or another especially if they're high volume players.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

eh, i would argue the Pels did a pretty good job of surrounding Zion with capable players, health is really their biggest issue. if anything they could have been more aggressive imho

but there is a middle ground in bending over for your star and trading the farm for a win now guy and making smart moves to improve the roster. The spurs wouldnt need to mortgage their future for Young. Unlike most of teams the Spurs have all of their own picks plus a number of others. the Spurs can use some of their assets to nab quality players while not blowing their entire load. this isnt a Beal/KD in PHX situation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they're all ringless too.

I'm still not convinced. Midget guards will get exposed in the playoffs one way or another especially if they're high volume players.
    This guy has never heard of Steph Curry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has never heard of Steph Curry.
    Since when is Curry a midget?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since when is Curry a midget?
    lol wut

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answer the question dummy.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally I'd agree with you but the only other consideration here is that the Spurs' own picks are a hedge against a Wemby injury. While he hasn't shown himself to be injury prone and has taken unprecedented steps with flexibility training to prevent it, his height still works against him and we're in unknown territory regarding his health in the future, arguably more so than with most superstars.
    Yeah I hate trading our own picks since if say Wemby has to miss the season it means you can tank like when David broke his foot in 96.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

eh, i would argue the Pels did a pretty good job of surrounding Zion with capable players, health is really their biggest issue. if anything they could have been more aggressive imho

but there is a middle ground in bending over for your star and trading the farm for a win now guy and making smart moves to improve the roster. The spurs wouldnt need to mortgage their future for Young. Unlike most of teams the Spurs have all of their own picks plus a number of others. the Spurs can use some of their assets to nab quality players while not blowing their entire load. this isnt a Beal/KD in PHX situation
    Gotta agree with Kony's black ass. David Griffin did a tremendous job putting a team around Zion but Zion couldn't give a and refused to lose any weight until this season. If Zion had Wemby's drive and work ethic they'd be a top 3 seed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it funny people are in here like "Shams and Woj don't know anything about the Spurs they are the most secretive front office in the nba" when Woj reported a rift between LMA and the Spurs and then it turned out he had asked for a trade and Woj was the first to report the rift between Kawhi and the Spurs and he ended up being traded.

The only reason you haven't heard much about the Spurs in the last few years is because they suck. They have the face of the league now, so going forward you can expect stuff like this. It's the Wemby effect.

They already got Dillingham on the corner with a "will work for spurs" sign around his neck and he aint even in the league yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, NOP roster construction isn't perfect, but its a good amount of talent around Zion. ideally they have a more mobile rim protector than JV. but Ingram can play. herb jones can play. mccollum has his flaws, but he can absorb some of the offensive load if zion is injured or having an off game.

off the bench, alvarado, murphy, daniels, nance are all reasonable rotation pieces.

they still control all of their future FRP, still are owed 1 by the lakers, and are owed multiple firsts from milwaukee in addition to swaps. its actually kind of wild that they've just sat on all that instead of being more aggressive. but i think this year they were also evaluating zion. there were a lot of rumblings last offseason about them maybe even moving him, and around the time of the in season tournament he was looking awful. but he came on strong 2nd half of the season. maybe they'll take some swings this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, NOP roster construction isn't perfect, but its a good amount of talent around Zion. ideally they have a more mobile rim protector than JV. but Ingram can play. herb jones can play. mccollum has his flaws, but he can absorb some of the offensive load if zion is injured or having an off game.

off the bench, alvarado, murphy, daniels, nance are all reasonable rotation pieces.

they still control all of their future FRP, still are owed 1 by the lakers, and are owed multiple firsts from milwaukee in addition to swaps. its actually kind of wild that they've just sat on all that instead of being more aggressive. but i think this year they were also evaluating zion. there were a lot of rumblings last offseason about them maybe even moving him, and around the time of the in season tournament he was looking awful. but he came on strong 2nd half of the season. maybe they'll take some swings this offseason.
    Best part of that is the Lakers really should trade Davis this summer at 32 since he'll likely never play 76 games again and his trade value has nowhere to go but sharply down. But then the Lakers would be tanking to get NOLA Flagg or Bailey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best part of that is the Lakers really should trade Davis this summer at 32 since he'll likely never play 76 games again and his trade value has nowhere to go but sharply down. But then the Lakers would be tanking to get NOLA Flagg or Bailey.
    what they should do and what they will do will look very different

i expect them to run it back, try to make one splash trade where they use up the picks that just got freed up to add something to the team. depending on what happens they may have access to the full MLE as well

pelicans may not get a lotto pick out of this last one, but at least next year's draft is supposed to be better than this year's. either way the pick they get from the lakers will likely fall between 15 and 20.

you could theoretically say the same about the spurs not getting the raptors pick until next year, but no guarantee the raptors pick is top 10 again. and #7-8 this year should still be better than getting something like #19-20 next year, before factoring in how many picks we are already slated to have

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I’ve been questioning for awhile, is Keldon done as a future piece on the spurs? I still like him as a player I just don’t know how he fits with the team anymore which bums me out because he brings some juice when he’s on. You would think we’d be set at wing with Dev/KJ/Sochan but it just doesn’t feel that way.

KJ is still only 24!!!
    I dont think hes done - think its more about that IF SA is going to make a bigger trade he seems like a likely piece since he has value, solid contract and Spurs likely wont want to part with Dev/Sochan. So Keldon is a natural fit for a trade like that if it were to occur.

I do think if Keldon embraces a 6th man role and keeps at it with his playmaking that he can be a very valuable piece still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    76ers go into the offseason with only two players, Embiid and Paul Reed, under contract. They'll max Maxey and then look to reshape that team.
    Absolutely - theres no chance PHI doesnt take care of Maxey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answer the question dummy.
    Dude always makes a fool of himself lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed quick moves can destroy a team in the short term and in the future. I like how Denver, Boston, OKC, Minnesota has built their teams. Those models are a better model to follow than trying to build a winner through quick gains.

It's not about quick or slow, or "rushing" things, it's about pertinence, and Wemby. There's not point waiting when the guy is 3 years ahead of any normal superstar curve, on the contrary. And not just to make him happy, but to help him and keep improving... And yes anyway, his happiness matters too in the grand scheme of things.

When a 13 young kid playing piano shows he's clearly a prodige ahead of pro guys in their 20s, there's no point leaving him with his first piano teacher, not to "rush" things.. you switch to an a elite piano professor so he can keep his progression

Not only patience isn't necessarily THE one model with Wemby that guarantees success if you wait, but in that case that might actually be the wrong one. It's an ideology vs empirism thing. you don"t "rush" things if the time is right and you're not necessarily smarter if you wait...

None of the teams you guys named had an MPV caliber, DPOTY in his sop re year. Davis spent 7 years in NO and played 13 POs games there, he's not an alpha. And Zion is always injured. Not only Victor IS ready to lead a compe ive team, but he NEEDS it for his development and yes, happiness. The curve is massively higher and shorter than the those guys or any other potential franchise player... Spurs have to think as if Wemby was alreay a 4 year vet next year, and where it may indeed be wiser to wait 3 to 5 years before really moving wit any normal potential superstar, it may be smarter to do it now with Victor.

Do you want to keep that 13 y.o piano prodige in a class of young kids his age with a third of talent? Do we really want to see Vic spend next year, or the next 2-3 years having to deal with last year's mess again, playing with bench guys and new rookies? Is it really good for him, and the team? Is it the right move?

I say, it 's not. And you "mortgage" your future no matter what, anytime you make a big move, whether it's now or in several years. You never have any guarantees, nor know who will be available. Just like you have zero guarantees you'll be bale to sign a "quality PG vet" this summer, probabality is you won't, unless dropping 40M for a Van Vleet, like HOU did.

We'll see, but if spurs don't make any move, it will interesting to see people's reaction when this team will badly suck again next year, and how bad they'll feel for Victor, making all kind of hypothesises about his future in SA. Next year shouldn't be about the Branhams, Wesleys, Mamus, Sochans, Grahams or whatever rookie(s) in a weak draft spurs will add, and raving everytime they score 20 in a meaningless game, it should be a about Wemby playing meaningfull games and trying to lead this team in the POs. and he needs help for that, real help.
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:02 AM.

Thread Information