View Poll Results: Lebron James as a Spur for the vet min?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. Welcome him ASAP

23 30.26%
  • Just what the Spurs need. Fills 5 boxes.

3 3.95%
  • Great for Wama to have a mentor like Lebron

3 3.95%
  • Only if he will be a sub

1 1.32%
  • I'd rather we extend Tre Jones

0 0%
  • Yes but nothing over 10 mil a year

4 5.26%
  • No

35 46.05%
  • My butt is still sore from Pop and GNob giving that 2013 Champ away

3 3.95%
  • Lebron stole my girlfriend and I'm not over it.

2 2.63%
  • Other. Specify in comments

2 2.63%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Lebron can get Pop fired for us. Seems to be a trend for him
    Removing the biggest obstacle for #6.
    Lebron would definitely add to his legacy.

FWIW i think Anthony Davis was the diva who got Ham run, not Lebron.
    Altho Lebron may have been fully on board.
    You've got to keep a pulse on hair bun DLo. When he's hot, great, ride it. When he's bricking and playing D like Barbie you've got to act. Ham didn't.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    For sure?? What are your criterias?
    Criteria would be someone who has been at the top of the game for 20 years, won the rings and taken multiple teams to championships while remaining healthy and not having to change his game to compensate for his age OR someone who dominated for a shorter period like Michael did. He came into the league 21 years ago and he's still one of the best players in the game. He's missed the playoffs only 4 times in his career.
    He's very smart in a cynical way and storytelling driven.
    I don't see that with him. He's self assured, but he's nowhere near the iness of Kobe or Mike or some others, many who couldn't carry his jock.
    He knows when and how to score to secure his stats and rarely appears when it really matters. The whole team would have to be centered around him bc he can't play with a PG anyway.
    Are we talking about the same guy? Lebron James is 965-527 in his career. What team did he ever play on where he wasn't the best player on the team?
    I'm not a hater but as usual it's all about the balance between the positive and the negative. The latter wins by a large margin to me.
    I hope Victor gets anywhere within artillery range of that level, I'll live with the hubris if it develops.
    You could also make a strong case as him being one of the worst leader of all time (among the greats), refusing any accountability and historically putting all the blame on his teamates.

Why would anyone want him?
    Nothing you said makes any sense. Do you think Michael or Kobe were great leaders? Do they need to be in order to be consider GOAT?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the argument for MJ over Bron, but someone is trying to say Bron isn't Top 2?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Criteria would be someone who has been at the top of the game for 20 years, won the rings and taken multiple teams to championships while remaining healthy and not having to change his game to compensate for his age OR someone who dominated for a shorter period like Michael did. He came into the league 21 years ago and he's still one of the best players in the game. He's missed the playoffs only 4 times in his career.

I don't see that with him. He's self assured, but he's nowhere near the iness of Kobe or Mike or some others, many who couldn't carry his jock.

Are we talking about the same guy? Lebron James is 965-527 in his career. What team did he ever play on where he wasn't the best player on the team?

I hope Victor gets anywhere within artillery range of that level, I'll live with the hubris if it develops.

Nothing you said makes any sense. Do you think Michael or Kobe were great leaders? Do they need to be in order to be consider GOAT?

(sorry no idea how to answer seperate quotes...^^)

Raw stats don't tell the whole picture.
    Missed PO only 4 times? so? + a decade in the weakest conference of all time then recruituing players from this same conf to weaken his only threats.
    +20 years stats only means you lasted longer, as Pop said when he beat some records. Lebron's longevity is diff topic

I'm not saying his BBIQ isn't high, just that it is very overrated and a lot players/veterans are at the same level (again the impact of daily storytelling...). Have you watched his podcast with JJ Red ? The dude sounds like he invented fire

His lack of humility in general and his obsession still at his age about storytelling and how ppl perceive him aren't signs of high IQ (the regular one ^^) or Spurs material ("get over oneself")

MJ or Kobe (2nd/end of hs career, not 1st part obviously) weren't like that. Actually I can't find one great who was, maybe Shaq but with a lot of self deprecation.

If you look at his resume in detail, he had insanely embarrasing moments (finals vs Dallas was shameful is so many aspects), or bailouts (Ray Allen 13', Dray suspended + Kyrie dagger) and a bubble le...

His only "legit" win was vs young inexperienced Okc who beat the Spurs with a lot of help from the refs to avoid the mighty Spurs against him again.

Just imagine if he played in the West and had to build his team the regular way...

When I say he's cynical, I mean that if winning (more than his stats) was the most important to him, he'd save his energy and shots from the 1QT and keep them for the 4QT when they're needed and as the leader he's supposed to be help his teammates be involved. But he knows ppl forget what happened during the game with time and you can make stats say anything)

As for the terrible leader he is, not sure what you want me to say, have you missed him putting his teammaes again and again under the bus??? He even suggested this season that his son was better than them!

I mean between the whinning, the theatrical antics on the floor, sulking alone at the end of the bench etc his whole career has been a cringe compilation.

In a few decades, Lebron will be remembered for his durability, longevity, versatility and how savvy he (and his camp) was in terms of PR. But he won't leave a trace on the game for his plays or moves. You never see a kid or present player say he learned this move watching Lebron.
    Paul George for ex is a better reference and model than him in the young coming generation like Kobe and KD was for the previouses.

PG13 or KD would be amazing mentors for Wemby. Not Lebron

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the argument for MJ over Bron, but someone is trying to say Bron isn't Top 2?
    Yes

A LOT MORE than you seem to realise

I think time will do its works

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    (sorry no idea how to answer seperate quotes...^^)

Raw stats don't tell the whole picture.
    Missed PO only 4 times? so? + a decade in the weakest conference of all time then recruituing players from this same conf to weaken his only threats.
    +20 years stats only means you lasted longer, as Pop said when he beat some records. Lebron's longevity is diff topic

I'm not saying his BBIQ isn't high, just that it is very overrated and a lot players/veterans are at the same level (again the impact of daily storytelling...). Have you watched his podcast with JJ Red ? The dude sounds like he invented fire

His lack of humility in general and his obsession still at his age about storytelling and how ppl perceive him aren't signs of high IQ (the regular one ^^) or Spurs material ("get over oneself")

MJ or Kobe (2nd/end of hs career, not 1st part obviously) weren't like that. Actually I can't find one great who was, maybe Shaq but with a lot of self deprecation.

If you look at his resume in detail, he had insanely embarrasing moments (finals vs Dallas was shameful is so many aspects), or bailouts (Ray Allen 13', Dray suspended + Kyrie dagger) and a bubble le...

His only "legit" win was vs young inexperienced Okc who beat the Spurs with a lot of help from the refs to avoid the mighty Spurs against him again.

Just imagine if he played in the West and had to build his team the regular way...

When I say he's cynical, I mean that if winning (more than his stats) was the most important to him, he'd save his energy and shots from the 1QT and keep them for the 4QT when they're needed and as the leader he's supposed to be help his teammates be involved. But he knows ppl forget what happened during the game with time and you can make stats say anything)

As for the terrible leader he is, not sure what you want me to say, have you missed him putting his teammaes again and again under the bus??? He even suggested this season that his son was better than them!

I mean between the whinning, the theatrical antics on the floor, sulking alone at the end of the bench etc his whole career has been a cringe compilation.

In a few decades, Lebron will be remembered for his durability, longevity, versatility and how savvy he (and his camp) was in terms of PR. But he won't leave a trace on the game for his plays or moves. You never see a kid or present player say he learned this move watching Lebron.
    Paul George for ex is a better reference and model than him in the young coming generation like Kobe and KD was for the previouses.

PG13 or KD would be amazing mentors for Wemby. Not Lebron
    If you "go advanced" you can use the quote icon to wrap quote tags around selected text.

You'd need to say who's above him and personal preference based on likeability cannot be debated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like he gonna team up with Steph and KD in Golden State. Maybe something like "Last Dance 2". Probably they will get Bronny via draft as an excuse for LeBron to join the Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ did you just try to say Mike and Kobe has humility? Am I reading that right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I mean LeBron will probably do anything now since he's close to retiring to try to get the 5th. Same how he get his rings. lol So yeah, it's not like I won't be surprised if it happens. Also I thought KD's contract is expiring this offseason so only way is via trade. Maybe they will try PG instead of KD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I think of the word humility, I think of Kobe and MJ

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you "go advanced" you can use the quote icon to wrap quote tags around selected text.

You'd need to say who's above him and personal preference based on likeability cannot be debated.
    Thx

I ended by giving u 2 more suited vets with same type of high IQ and imo a lot more people oriented than Lebron. PG13 my dream choice and KD another (unprobabale) luxury

At the end of the day it's probably a matter of taste so we'll have to agree to disagree but there's one last thing you might agree on is that Lebron's never been in a team where he wasn't the center of everthing. We're on a journey with a 20yo phenom that IS the center alredy.

I can't see Lebron take a back step on or off the floor...

can you?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok I got carried away with MJ and Kobe ...

But those 2 are diff animals who lived by the scoring, it wasn't a good comparison to start with

Lebron is supposed to be the super versatile leader, pass oriented blabla

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Thx

I ended by giving u 2 more suited vets with same type of high IQ and imo a lot more people oriented than Lebron. PG13 my dream choice and KD another (unprobabale) luxury
    Paul George is a nice guy but he's nowhere near Lebron's level.
    KD stacked with Golden State, because he played 2nd fiddle in OKC when he was the obvious alpha talent. He's since collected checks and done nothing notable. He's not someone you want your star emulating.

At the end of the day it's probably a matter of taste so we'll have to agree to disagree but there's one last thing you might agree on is that Lebron's never been in a team where he wasn't the center of everthing. We're on a journey with a 20yo phenom that IS the center alredy.

I can't see Lebron take a back step on or off the floor...

can you?
    He doesn't need take a step back. AD has plenty of touches, he just cannot remain upright long enough to make them matter past the 1st half. If Lebron plays with his boy, he's going to get him involved at the expense of developing any other talent. Teams need to keep that in mind. With that said, outside of the possibility of a massive cap hit, you could do much worse than signing Lebron.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul George is a nice guy but he's nowhere near Lebron's level.
    KD stacked with Golden State, because he played 2nd fiddle in OKC when he was the obvious alpha talent. He's since collected checks and done nothing notable. He's not someone you want your star emulating.

He doesn't need take a step back. AD has plenty of touches, he just cannot remain upright long enough to make them matter past the 1st half. If Lebron plays with his boy, he's going to get him involved at the expense of developing any other talent. Teams need to keep that in mind. With that said, outside of the possibility of a massive cap hit, you could do much worse than signing Lebron.
    I wasn't clear...

Lebron is overall more talented than PG, it's not close but the latter doesn't need the ball in his hands as much and would fit next to a proper PG contrary to Lebron

As for KD, He's a much diff player and man at this stage of his career, doen't need to be the guy and has shown willigness to be a mentor.

I just don't like the fit at all, beyond all the circus that follows LBJ

Anyway, as Wendy reminded some fools Lebron is looking for a massive extention in LA. He's not moving

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Lebron isn't coming to this team, that's one fact. The other fact is that Lebron coming to this team would be a net positive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes

A LOT MORE than you seem to realise

I think time will do its works
    There is a word for these people

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron Haters sure are being vindicated by this Minnesota - Denver series.

Ya Lebron sucked vs Denver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD would be a much better fit on this team in every way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be honest I got Duncan at #2

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be honest I got Duncan at #2
    I always hated these arbitrary all-time lists.
    Even just the numbers don't tell the entire story.

For me it's really simple. Basketball is a team sport, it's all about which team wins.
    We all have favorite players, but ultimately people support teams and not just players.
    No player ever has done more for a single franchise than Duncan did for the Spurs.

There's Bill Russell, but Celtics would've still been the best team without him. They wouldn't have won as many, but they would've won a lot.
    There's MJ. Bulls were garbage before him and went back into irrelevancy as soon as he retired.

Then there's Duncan. Turned Spurs, a subpar franchise into an example for the entire world of sports.
    No ego, no selfishness, highest winning percentage ever during a ridiculously long period of time.
    People say he had David and the veterans. What exactly did they achive without him?
    They say he had Pop. The same Pop who was on the verge of getting fired and who wasn't that good of a coach initially, let's be honest here.
    They had he had great teammates. Where else would've Tony succeeded in a league that tried really hard to avoid foreigners, especially undersized ones.
    Or Manu? Noone wanted him. 57th pick. How much would he have achieved without Duncan?
    Or all those subpar players who looked great in the Spurs uniform only to regress to their actual level when there was no Duncan to have their back.
    When he retired, franchise was in perfect position to keep winning. Nephew ruined that, but we all see who was right in that case.
    Seven years after his retirement, we get arguably the biggest prospect ever and he's elated that Spurs won the lottery.
    He surely wouldn't have been as happy if Celtics won the lottery in '97.
    But if Duncan went to the Celtics, we'd be talking about a franchise with ~25 rings and would have constant Timmy vs MJ goat debates.

So yeah, while Lebron, Wilt, Kareem and MJ had higher peeks, if I'm a fan of a small market franchise and I want a player for the next 20 years with all their qualities and flaws, I'm taking Duncan at #1, no questions asked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While they didn't have any les, the Spurs already had a top-3, if not the #1, all time winning % in NBA history prior to Duncan. I would not say the Spurs were a "subpar franchise" before Duncan's arrival.

I love Timmy as much as the next guy, and have him Top 5, but no - I don't put him above Lebron. Yes, winning matters, but so does individual achievement & accolades when talking about the GOATs (otherwise, Robert Horry and Steve Kerr would be Top 75 players). At the same time, I think notoriety and fame play a big part of it as well. While we love that Timmy was this reluctant superstar who didn't want the spotlight, that has an impact on the all-time rankings, like it or not.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Highest winning percentage and zero finals appearances.
    One could argue that the Spurs wasted two MVP players with subpar rosters around them.

Peak Lebron was amazing, but his stat-padding and media machinery ever since he joined the Lakers has been ridiculous.
    His Eastern conference achievements are a joke, Spurs would've made at least 10 finals in '98-16 East.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby
    Siakim
    Lebron
    Reasonable / good pg be it a trade or the Spurs 1st round pick.
    New coach

We're sniffing it as early as next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voting is still basically even.

Lebron attending the game at Cleveland tonight vs Boston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Highest winning percentage and zero finals appearances.
    One could argue that the Spurs wasted two MVP players with subpar rosters around them.

Peak Lebron was amazing, but his stat-padding and media machinery ever since he joined the Lakers has been ridiculous.
    His Eastern conference achievements are a joke, Spurs would've made at least 10 finals in '98-16 East.
    No Finals appearances, but 3rd all time win % when he got here is not sub par. Red Auerbach hated the ABA, didn’t want the teams,and predicted that they would flop in the NBA. The first year, 3 of the 4 teams made the playoffs,and the only reason NJ didn’t was that the head Knicks demanded a payment for them to enter the NY media market, and they had to sell Dr. J’s contract to Philly to pay it. The Spurs were playoff fixtures,and made two conference finals before Tim.

THAT’S NOT SUB PAR.

Thread Information