Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-big-...024-nba-draft/

Draft is pretty damn bad this year but the Spurs should get an interesting player with their pick, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly a poor attempt at copying Teeds' thread. Thought you'd be above such obvious plagiarism, LJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the full transparency that I have not watched Dillingham play this year, and knowing full well that anybody can put together a mixtape and make anyone look like an all-star, watching these highlights, I can easily see the appeal. This kid is a baller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the full transparency that I have not watched Dillingham play this year, and knowing full well that anybody can put together a mixtape and make anyone look like an all-star, watching these highlights, I can easily see the appeal. This kid is a baller.

With the full transparency that I have not watched those highlights, watching him play this year I could easily see the appeal and that the kid is a baller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

With the full transparency that I have not watched every spurs game this year, and knowing full well that our current ty PG situation can make anyone look like an all-star comparatively, watching these highlights, I can easily see the appeal. This kid is instantly the best shooter and ball handler on the team. This kid is a baller

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is officially the House Flipper draft. Develop whoever they get just enough, and use him in a trade later — “the DJ” if you will.

Yikes at the idea of picking Dillingham at 1.
    Ouch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is officially the House Flipper draft. Develop whoever they get just enough, and use him in a trade later — “the DJ” if you will.

Yikes at the idea of picking Dillingham at 1.
    Ouch.
    There are much worse ideas than Dillingham at 1. Popular ones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are much worse ideas than Dillingham at 1. Popular ones.
    I hear people clamoring for Stephon Castle and guys with absolutely no shooting prowess to add to this starting lineup and I just don’t understand.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham will likely be gone at 5 or lower when the Spurs pick so expect Topic.

Sarr, Risacher, Dillingham and Clingan in the top 4 in unknown order

Then Spurs drafting from Topic, Castle, Sheppard in 5-7 range
    Last edited by rascal; 1 Week Ago at 07:07 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think Dilly will probably still be there at 5, I don't think Topic will be there at 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *Random thought* In a draft like this where is seems like the spurs will be looking hard at the guard position, do we think they could target one of the combo guards thinking they could develop into a PG in terms of what they need. The spurs spent a majority of the season trying Sochan out so I don’t think it’s crazy to say that the spurs could view Ja’Kobe walters Or Jared McCain as possible starting PGs for the team

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *Random thought* In a draft like this where is seems like the spurs will be looking hard at the guard position, do we think they could target one of the combo guards thinking they could develop into a PG in terms of what they need. The spurs spent a majority of the season trying Sochan out so I don’t think it’s crazy to say that the spurs could view Ja’Kobe walters Or Jared McCain as possible starting PGs for the team
    I don't see it with Ja'Kobe but I'm way higher than consensus on McCain - I have Reed top 3 right now and I don't think the gap between him and McCain is that large. I made a comp of CJ McCollum with Reed before but McCain actually fits much better both stylistically and projection wise. If you look at them head to head, McCain has

1. Better dimensions - probably 6'3"-6'4" in shoes, with a longer wingspan, better rebounding numbers indicates he plays bigger as well
    2. Better POA defense - he's not great, but he competes hard and isn't exactly a turnstile, plus he's strong as for his size which is usually a good indicator of a small guard holding up on switches
    3. High volume and and high accuracy 3 point shooting, good midrange efficiency, quick release, varied shot diet - all this translates to the ability to somewhat build an offense around his shooting using multiple screening actions at least as much as Sheppard
    4. Better at the rim - shooting 64% at the rim in the half court (really good number for a freshman shooter btw), compared to 55% for Reed

His facilitating is being masked by being on a team with Proctor and Roach, but he averaged like 4 AST/game in HS so I think he's got significant potential there. I honestly have Sheppard ahead of him only because Sheppard's superpower is having outlier-level basketball instincts and IQ which scales in the modern game really really well if he manages to improve his more of his tactical skills i.e. his handle or live-dribble passing. But overall I'm very very high on McCain and think he's got a chance of being a top 5 guy from this draft and a very good starter when it's all said and done.
    Last edited by SpursBills; 1 Week Ago at 11:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thread merge?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe better to package Spurs pick and KJ to trade for a good young player with another team

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it with Ja'Kobe but I'm way higher than consensus on McCain - I have Reed top 3 right now and I don't think the gap between him and McCain is that large. I made a comp of CJ McCollum with Reed before but McCain actually fits much better both stylistically and projection wise. If you look at them head to head, McCain has

1. Better dimensions - probably 6'3"-6'4" in shoes, with a longer wingspan, better rebounding numbers indicates he plays bigger as well
    2. Better POA defense - he's not great, but he competes hard and isn't exactly a turnstile, plus he's strong as for his size which is usually a good indicator of a small guard holding up on switches
    3. High volume and and high accuracy 3 point shooting, good midrange efficiency, quick release, varied shot diet - all this translates to the ability to somewhat build an offense around his shooting using multiple screening actions at least as much as Sheppard
    4. Better at the rim - shooting 64% at the rim in the half court (really good number for a freshman shooter btw), compared to 55% for Reed

His facilitating is being masked by being on a team with Proctor and Roach, but he averaged like 4 AST/game in HS so I think he's got significant potential there. I honestly have Sheppard ahead of him only because Sheppard's superpower is having outlier-level basketball instincts and IQ which scales in the modern game really really well if he manages to improve his more of his tactical skills i.e. his handle or live-dribble passing. But overall I'm very very high on McCain and think he's got a chance of being a top 5 guy from this draft and a very good starter when it's all said and done.
    we might be the only two on this forum on the McCain train. but mocks are slowly adjusting and some moved him up to late lottery. best I read was #10, but can't remember where.
    I'm pretty sure when the first interviews with teams are leaked, he will once mor move up. Teams will rave about his personality and smarts. word out of Duke was, that he is a gym rat and highly coachable, so there are some more points for him. regarding this is a draft without much star potential, teams will warm up to rather take a high IQ, high energy, high character guy, who definitely can shoot, even if he lacks ideal hight and burst, than swing for the fences.
    I can see Hawks pick him at 10 and the lowest he will fall is 13, Kings won't pass on a local kid, who was state champion and already is a big star in California.
    so from there it isn't that far to pick 7-9. (where Spurs will pick if the Raptors pick conveys).

currently there is a good chance that Spurs pick at 5 and 7. assuming Risacher will be gone at 5, I can see them pick Castle, plus either Sheppard or McCain. Castle will measure great, I'm sure about that, likely 6'5" w/o shoes. you can play him 1, 2 and 3, on and off ball, and he will shut down either spot on defense. that will open room for a shooting combo guard, even if he isn't ideal hight.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    currently there is a good chance that Spurs pick at 5 and 7
    Very unlikely. Spurs get pick #5 only if no one from #6 to #13 moves up, which is only about a 2.2% chance. The only pick they can get that's less likely is pick #9 at 0.62%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted a while back on McCain and think he'd be a great fit in SA. I mentioned McCain was the 8th top scorer in the entire NCAA tournament and that's with going out in the Elite Eight.

Kinda a consolation Reed Sheppard lol.

McCain seems like a SG/PG but in the NBA I could see him in lineups at the 1 PG but I don't expect too much brilliant primary playmaking (or much of anything outside of really good shooting). Like Patty Mills deluxe (or Mills pre shoulder surgery)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have like only a 2% chance to pick at #5

It's either around 40% top 4 (about 10% each 1-4) or around 19% at #6 and around 26% at #7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very unlikely. Spurs get pick #5 only if no one from #6 to #13 moves up, which is only about a 2.2% chance. The only pick they can get that's less likely is pick #9 at 0.62%.
    Not just very unlikely, but impossible. Like you said, the Spurs only get #5 if no one moves up... but if no one moves up, then the Spurs can't get #7. There is no way for the Spurs to end up with #5 and #7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just very unlikely, but impossible. Like you said, the Spurs only get #5 if no one moves up... but if no one moves up, then the Spurs can't get #7. There is no way for the Spurs to end up with #5 and #7.
    Yeah you're right. If Spurs get #5 that means no one moved up, which means Toronto is #6 and they keep their pick. Would definitely be one of the worse scenarios for this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This draft class so bad that I rather have Caitlin Clark to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-big-...024-nba-draft/

Draft is pretty damn bad this year but the Spurs should get an interesting player with their pick, IMO.
    And an uninteresting one with the Toronto pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever (other than top 2) pick we get, if Dillingham is there, you take him. Think of him replacing Wesley, easily an upgrade.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we might be the only two on this forum on the McCain train. but mocks are slowly adjusting and some moved him up to late lottery. best I read was #10, but can't remember where.
    I'm pretty sure when the first interviews with teams are leaked, he will once mor move up. Teams will rave about his personality and smarts. word out of Duke was, that he is a gym rat and highly coachable, so there are some more points for him. regarding this is a draft without much star potential, teams will warm up to rather take a high IQ, high energy, high character guy, who definitely can shoot, even if he lacks ideal hight and burst, than swing for the fences.
    I can see Hawks pick him at 10 and the lowest he will fall is 13, Kings won't pass on a local kid, who was state champion and already is a big star in California.
    so from there it isn't that far to pick 7-9. (where Spurs will pick if the Raptors pick conveys).

currently there is a good chance that Spurs pick at 5 and 7. assuming Risacher will be gone at 5, I can see them pick Castle, plus either Sheppard or McCain. Castle will measure great, I'm sure about that, likely 6'5" w/o shoes. you can play him 1, 2 and 3, on and off ball, and he will shut down either spot on defense. that will open room for a shooting combo guard, even if he isn't ideal hight.
    Reading your initial post on McCain definitely got me curious about him, and I think there is a lot to like, especially in the context of this draft. Part of it is he seems like an underappreciated possibly value pick. He definitely seems like a Spurs type pic, and with his ability to make different types of outside shots, I think it would be huge for this team. He will probably have problems getting to the rim, but rebounds well and seems to play hard. I do think there might be some untapped passing ability as others have mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information