View Poll Results: Career wise: Does Jokic still have the ability to reach Timmy Duncan level influence?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. He is 29 and still has time to add to his foundation

3 23.08%
  • No, and this Game 7 home loss was a huge stepback

4 30.77%
  • Yes, he will team up with Wemby in a few years and rock Championships

1 7.69%
  • No. Denver is going to implode and he is stuck there.

1 7.69%
  • Yes the same squad will grow and win a few more Chips

3 23.08%
  • No. Joker will never Chip again.

1 7.69%
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or did this game 7 just take a huge step backwards in terms of legacy for Joker?

Previously on Spurstalk.com, we discussed whether or not Greek Freak had reached "Early" Tim Dunkar level influence after his 2021 Championship and legit MVP level performance. Wow, that turned out to be a solid No since 2021. Voting at the time 2022 had a little over half thinking Greek had not even reached Early Duncan level, but about half thought he did. The poll was just before the 2022 Playoffs.
    Has Greek Freak approached early Timmy Duncan level? (spurstalk.com)

Joker. I was playing poker so had a distracted view of the game, but from what i saw Joker looked gassed in the 2nd half but still put up a couple huge treys in the stretch run for a comeback attempt. Oof 0-8 on the rest of Jokers treys. I look fwd to reading all your takes. Rob has already said it looked like the Nuggets "quit", as far back as the 2nd qtr.
    Not gonna lie, i also got a vibe like they were quitting on purpose. WTH was that?

As to being gassed, also what is up with that? Game is in Denver, you know the Mile High city where host purportedly have a huge advantage because they are used to breathing Mile High air? Hmmn have NBA opponents leveled the field on the oxygen intake?

Back to Joker, in Game 7
    34/19/7 with a team high 47 minutes.

Pretty damn good. We saw Timmy Dunker get F'd out of game and Finals winning performances by a bird brained coach (2006 and 2013) and Ginobilis hero ball 06 and then temp Alzheimer's '13. Which makes Duncans 5 legit Championships all the more impressive imo.

So maybe Joker did all he could to win 2024s game 7? Surrounding cast and coach were inadequate?

Where does Joker go from here?
    Doe he get a better cast and win more Chips?
    Or was that it? 1 and done for Jokers career. Okay mmmaybe 2 but no way he's getting 5 and matching Player of His Generation Timmy Duncan. Tall order, indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can still surpass Timmy. Every all-time great has had some tough playoff losses tbh.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, if he gets into an all defensive team the next 10 seasons in a row.... At least Tim had to face great players at his position. Jokic faces like 2 per season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darn, I was going to watch the game, but the thread le gave me a spoiler. Oh well. Tough loss for Jokic. I thought for sure they'd win game 7 at home. I didn't expect him to be bounced this early. He's a great player, but it kind of bothers me that guys like Giannis, and now the Joker get elevated above TD and TD is never even mentioned.

Jokic is darn good (great), but as I said with Giannis, he has a long, long way to go, but also, the comparison with Joker can't forget the defensive side of the ball. TD was GREAT on both ends of the court, Nikola, not so much.

I wonder if TD watched the game, as I remember in an interview (not sure if it was the RJ one or a different one?) where he said that Jokic was his favourite player to watch. At least he has TD's backing.

I was actually thinking of 2006 upon reading your thread le as I was saying that Tim's never lost a game 7 at home, but then remembered 2006 . He did all he could that game. Manu should not have fouled. I didn't watch this game, but looking at the stats you put up, did Joker do all he could?

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His game and stats have already well exceed Timmy tbh.

If he has 4 rings as well then Timmy will be surely ranked below him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can You Imagine: jokic didnt win PO series with +50 wins team. Never.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    blowing a 20pt lead in a elimination game, thats just lame...just lame as hero ball antics that costs spurs rings also

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can You Imagine: jokic didnt win PO series with +50 wins team. Never.
    What do you mean by this? Are you talking about one of the years the Spurs lost with a 50+ win team in the first round?

blowing a 20pt lead in a elimination game, thats just lame...just lame as hero ball antics that costs spurs rings also
    Who are you referring to here? Were the Nuggets up 20pts in last night's game?
    What are the hero ball antics you're referring to that cost Spurs rings? Are you talking about TP, Manu or someone else?

Yeah, that's all great IF he get to at least 4 rings. Tim also played in a different system. Even if Joker has better stats on offense, why are people forgetting TD was also a DPOY level player for most of his career. He anchored some of the greatest defenses ever. Jokic will never get to that level defensively. Can him being better on offense wipe out how much better Tim was on defense? TD anchored both the offense and defense. That's pretty freaking great. I just don't get why Tim is not mentioned much (he was never boring for me to watch ever). It sucks not ever hearing him mentioned with all those greats that weren't as good as him, but they get brought up all the time in conversation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 29 and Duncan had 3 les when he was 29. It will definitely be hard for him to catch Duncan. He needed to win this year to have a shot at it. I would also say defensively he's nowhere near Duncan. Prime Duncan would have been able to easily shut down KAT, and Naz Reid defensively. I say this as someone who wanted to see him win last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's outdone Timmy on MVPs, but he'll never catch him in rings. That said, I think this is apples to oranges, considering their respective draft positions. Jokic even pulling even an MVP out, much less being The Guy on a le team, has to be winning-the-powerball odds.

One thing I do think is similar is that Jokic isn't going to appreciably drop off into his mid 30s, much like Timmy (always barring injuries). That will leave Denver's window open for a while -- hoping Wemby and Jokic have at least one duel for the ages while Joker's in his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this loss and the serie are not on Jokic, not sure what more you can ask from him. It changes absolutely nothing on Jokic actual and future legacy... he is not going to win every year and he is still young.

Comparaisons with Tim are way too soon anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's outdone Timmy on MVPs, but he'll never catch him in rings. That said, I think this is apples to oranges, considering their respective draft positions. Jokic even pulling even an MVP out, much less being The Guy on a le team, has to be winning-the-powerball odds.

One thing I do think is similar is that Jokic isn't going to appreciably drop off into his mid 30s, much like Timmy (always barring injuries). That will leave Denver's window open for a while -- hoping Wemby and Jokic have at least one duel for the ages while Joker's in his prime.
    I don't think he will ever win another MVP again. The media has pretty much made sure this will be his last MVP after what happened yesterday. He edges out Tim with the league MVP 3-2, but Tim will most likely still edge him out in rings and Finals MVPS. I don't think if things hold up, he will have enough to pass Tim resume wise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this loss and the serie are not on Jokic, not sure what more you can ask from him. It changes absolutely nothing on Jokic actual and future legacy... he is not going to win every year and he is still young.

Comparaisons with Tim are way too soon anyway
    Long term it could affect his legacy in the sense of being short of rings. Every year that you have opportunity to win a le and you don't is a lost year. For example, in Tim's career I would say '04, '06, '13 were all lost years. If he somehow got a le in any of those years, the way people look at him today would be different since he would have 6 rings or more. Legacy wise that would have been a huge boost for him.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dumb, different era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he will ever win another MVP again. The media has pretty much made sure this will be his last MVP after what happened yesterday. He edges out Tim with the league MVP 3-2, but Tim will most likely still edge him out in rings and Finals MVPS. I don't think if things hold up, he will have enough to pass Tim resume wise.
    I think you're right, but it is two different types of resume. One was a 2nd rounder who is one of the biggest stat stuffers there ever was, while the other was a #1 choice who was expected to win rings from the beginning. Every ring Jokic secures is worth about 1.25 or 1.5 of Timmy's, I'd say, trying very hard to be objective. Subjectively, though, I don't think the two are even close. Timmy is certainly the more competent defender, and definitely more athletic 2001 and back. In today's NBA, I think he'd be reasonably close stat stuffing and I think he'd also have extended his range to the 3pt line. It's an era thing, now, which makes me feel old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Long term it could affect his legacy in the sense of being short of rings. Every year that you have opportunity to win a le and you don't is a lost year. For example, in Tim's career I would say '04, '06, '13 were all lost years. If he somehow got a le in any of those years, the way people look at him today would be different since he would have 6 rings or more. Legacy wise that would have been a huge boost for him.
    I agree with the "could" but Tim won his last ring at 38 y/o and was still the best player of the run. Jokic game is aging well, he still has a lot of years in front of him, so it is clearly too soon to conclude. One thing is for sure is that at 29 Tim already had 3 rings.

Also I don't know if Jokic will still play at 38 for instance and I don't think he cares a lot about legacy anyway

Thread Information