Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to talk through the rationale for Stephon Castle - I previously thought that as long as his shot pans out, he's the prospect in the draft based on his two way ability. But recently I'm not so sure that I'd take him that high even if he becomes a league average or slightly above average shooter.

Most of Castle's upside tail lies in his ability to play lead guard. The ability to dominate other guards with size and create a mismatch while being able to guard other lead guards is a powerful combination. But for Castle, what is his avenue to generating easy offense? You can see an avenue for creating easy buckets with most of the other lead guard prospects if they develop correctly:

Dillingham - no explanation needed
    Sheppard/McCain - utilize their shooting gravity to give them driving lanes, use their touch to develop their floater and runner game once in the lane
    Topic/Collier - rim pressure

What exactly is Castle's path? In HS at Newton, he played as a lead guard and basically controlled the pace and played a very deliberate style. His playstyle is almost reminiscent of Cade Cunningham, and I absolutely see the Jimmy Butler comps stylistically. But a smaller Jimmy Butler who isn't a foul merchant is just a hard way to live in terms of generating consistent offense (seriously, look up Butler's FTR in college, it was bonkers). With regards to Cade, I don't watch pistons games that often but from the few that I caught seemed to me that their offense actually ran better with Cade out and Ivey running the point, as a lot more guys got involved and it wasn't just one guy trying to survey the defense and make plays. I think it's unlikely that Castle is as good offensively as Cade (defense obviously much better), so that's pretty concerning if you're projecting him as a lead guard.

Maybe you draft him as a utility wing who can do a little bit of everything like his current role at UConn, but I worry that he's going to be undersized at 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan and would prefer a little bit more size. He's got ideal size for the 2 guard, but then what do you do Vassell? Either way if you play him as a wing, is that really worth a high lottery pick for someone who has a very questionable shot AND has suboptimal size? Regardless, Castle's just one of those guys whose game I love, I just don't know if he fits the Spurs as a high lottery pick.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These takes are always so stupid.

Samanic was a pretty good pick. If he had anything but his at ude, he could have become at least a decent player.

Primo pick should have been Sengun. Regardless, you're making a mental error -- a very obvious, kind of kindergarten-level one -- of not realizing his development was torpedoed by his behavior. Like Samanic there's no way of knowing what actual progress would have been.

You're welcome.
    lol. Thanks, you’re on the list
    Last edited by itzsoweezee; 1 Week Ago at 07:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salaun - Oh man. After watching this guy’s film, he has no basketball feel at all. Honestly looks like a player who would spend ten years in the g-league.
    Of what I've watched, Salaun is by far who impressed me the least. We all know there are not many accomplished or sure fire players in this draft, so I've been kind of settling for glimpses of upside here and there, at least some path towards success. But honestly, watching Salaun's video he looks stiff and even clumsy, his handle is very loose, seems like a willing passer but his delivery is often bad, and overall doesn't look like the coordinated and fluid athlete who could make you overlook some things hoping he could put it together later on. He's big, athletic, has a high motor and his shot is okayish, and maybe he could eventually turn all of that into a solid 3&D stretch 4, but it's tough to project a higher ceiling than that going by the available film. Really not someone I'd feel confident taking with a top 10 pick.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is a projected lottery pick? wtf. I heard there were Josh Giddy comparisons, but this guy is nowhere close to what giddy was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here’s another nice channel that breaks the type of plays by prospect into separate videos:

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the PG that we're looking for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve watched 187 hours of tape and have come away assured that Risacher is #1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to talk through the rationale for Stephon Castle - I previously thought that as long as his shot pans out, he's the prospect in the draft based on his two way ability. But recently I'm not so sure that I'd take him that high even if he becomes a league average or slightly above average shooter.

Most of Castle's upside tail lies in his ability to play lead guard. The ability to dominate other guards with size and create a mismatch while being able to guard other lead guards is a powerful combination. But for Castle, what is his avenue to generating easy offense? You can see an avenue for creating easy buckets with most of the other lead guard prospects if they develop correctly:

Sheppard/McCain - utilize their shooting gravity to give them driving lanes, use their touch to develop their floater and runner game once in the lane

What exactly is Castle's path? In HS at Newton, he played as a lead guard and basically controlled the pace and played a very deliberate style. His playstyle is almost reminiscent of Cade Cunningham, and I absolutely see the Jimmy Butler comps stylistically. But a smaller Jimmy Butler who isn't a foul merchant is just a hard way to live in terms of generating consistent offense (seriously, look up Butler's FTR in college, it was bonkers). With regards to Cade, I don't watch pistons games that often but from the few that I caught seemed to me that their offense actually ran better with Cade out and Ivey running the point, as a lot more guys got involved and it wasn't just one guy trying to survey the defense and make plays. I think it's unlikely that Castle is as good offensively as Cade (defense obviously much better), so that's pretty concerning if you're projecting him as a lead guard.

Maybe you draft him as a utility wing who can do a little bit of everything like his current role at UConn, but I worry that he's going to be undersized at 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan and would prefer a little bit more size. He's got ideal size for the 2 guard, but then what do you do Vassell? Either way if you play him as a wing, is that really worth a high lottery pick for someone who has a very questionable shot AND has suboptimal size? Regardless, Castle's just one of those guys whose game I love, I just don't know if he fits the Spurs as a high lottery pick.
    Been enjoying your write-ups, thanks for your time and interesting thoughts. Probably the reality check I needed to hear on Castle who I am high on. What a roller coaster, think I'm all the way back to Dillingham now lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    edit: not sure why it double posted sorry
    Last edited by heyheymymy; 1 Week Ago at 09:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Adding two things -- he is so deliberate getting to the rim, it's not really effortless due to a lack of quickness. He utilizes spins and strength. Also, his lack of stocks bothers some, although his defensive style is more walking up and denying clear looks. His stocks are pretty close to Kawhi got in his sop re year.

The appeal to Castle to me is almost purely his defensive upside plus ability to fit in quickly and be something of an initiator. You're right, though, to tag his long-term outlook as questionable for a team that already has non-shooters they're trying to work on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be crazy if Spurs landed #3 and Risacher goes first. Only have to see one reach or fit pick and Sarr falls to SA. Never going to happen but

Was looking at teams Sarr would fit best on and SA surprisingly rises to the top. Bad fits with DET CHA POR imho. Push Wemby to the 4 when they play alongside but both get shifts at 5 and one is on the court at all times with both in crunch time. Wemby has the range to alleviate spacing issues you'd get with Duran, Mark Williams, and Ayton elsewhere.

Not my preference and I haven't really scouted Sarr since he's so top 2 and I didn't think we'd get there this draft. I like what someone else said, kinda want to save Spurs #1s for generational bigs picks plus it would be absurd to see lighting strike twice Spurs pick #1 again to the point where it would obvs be bad for the league lol and never happen. But if he falls with say WAS preferring Dillingham instead, SA could get a dream tumble and barring front office analytics on a potential Sarr/Wemby fit I could see that being an exciting acquisition. Someone comped Sarr as a JJJ type and that resonated with me a bit. Also like the fact he's French and the Admiral/TD nostalgia so warming up to the idea a bit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding two things -- he is so deliberate getting to the rim, it's not really effortless due to a lack of quickness. He utilizes spins and strength. Also, his lack of stocks bothers some, although his defensive style is more walking up and denying clear looks. His stocks are pretty close to Kawhi got in his sop re year.

The appeal to Castle to me is almost purely his defensive upside plus ability to fit in quickly and be something of an initiator. You're right, though, to tag his long-term outlook as questionable for a team that already has non-shooters they're trying to work on.
    I think he’d probably be my pick with the raptors pick if it conveyed. The correct strategy may be to play him as a wing initially and see if he develops, while simultaneously evaluating your lead guard and Vassell. It’s unlikely that all 3 blow up, and even if he doesn’t you probably have a Jaime Jaquez-like utility wing which is always valuable in the postseason. Positional versatility and a diverse skillset means he’s got multiple outs to be a useful player even if he doesn’t hit his upside tail, and also that he’s probably got a long runway to develop to maximize his odds of hitting his upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched this. He reminds me a LOT of Brandon Boston from the 2021 draft. I think he’s got that Vassell-itis where he settles for the difficult pull up jumper a little too often. He definitely looks jumbo sized, bigger than his listed 6’5” height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched this. He reminds me a LOT of Brandon Boston from the 2021 draft. I think he’s got that Vassell-itis where he settles for the difficult pull up jumper a little too often. He definitely looks jumbo sized, bigger than his listed 6’5” height.
    I'm not sure of the Brandon Boston comparison (I think he's a better playmaker than Boston, and perceptually prefer his feel for the game too over Boston) but agree with the case of Vassell-itis.

My main concern would be on the C&S numbers which I think I read somewhere were 24% on 3s.
    Is he one of these guys who is a better shooter on self created attempts and contests rather than on wide open looks?
    I'm not sure but I am looking forward to seeing his pre-draft processes and measurements.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are drafting Topic. I don’t think we should but that’s who we are drafting. I hope we get a legit shooting coach next year bc that dude can’t shoot.

Btw money where my mouth prediction is that we only get one pick this year. We get the 5th pick. Its Topic. And we make no other quality signings of vets on this team and roll out with the same 7 guys on our roster plus Topic. It’s gonna be brutal
    Correct about everything except the Spurs get the 6th pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are drafting Topic. I don’t think we should but that’s who we are drafting. I hope we get a legit shooting coach next year bc that dude can’t shoot.

Btw money where my mouth prediction is that we only get one pick this year. We get the 5th pick. Its Topic. And we make no other quality signings of vets on this team and roll out with the same 7 guys on our roster plus Topic. It’s gonna be brutal
    Correct about everything except the Spurs get the 6th pick.
    You can always count on Rascal to be more pessimistic than the next guy. Must be real popular at parties...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Topic

Thread Information