Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1703
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant? Not saying I want him but does he fit the description or he too old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who else are in the middle of their career and aren’t #1 options?

Devin Booker
    Donovan Mitc
    Jaylen Brown

That’s it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all know who I was thinking about but his contract is God awful I mean might be the worst in the league… Zach Lavine lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Devin Booker
    Donovan Mitc
    Jaylen Brown

That’s it?
    Jaylen Brown was the first guy that popped in my head. I mentioned PG because he's a FA, but Brown was who I thought of first.

Bam, Kyrie, and Harden probably qualify as well. Not lobbying for them, just noting they aren't first options and are considered stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jaylen Brown was the first guy that popped in my head. I mentioned PG because he's a FA, but Brown was who I thought of first.

Bam, Kyrie, and Harden probably qualify as well. Not lobbying for them, just noting they aren't first options and are considered stars.
    But those guys aren’t at the middle of their careers…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But those guys aren’t at the middle of their careers…
    That's fair... I'd consider Bam in the middle of his though..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Devin Booker
    Donovan Mitc
    Jaylen Brown

That’s it?
    Sexton
    Dejounte
    Ingram
    *edit*
    DLo

I'm just going through the NBA PPG leaders and seeing who meets the criteria

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae is highly inefficient. Tre Jones is at 4.12 last year), he has shown (proven?) he can't play off ball last year with Dejounte Murray.

I thought the Damian Lillard experiment would have shown enough on this.
    He makes up for middling %'s and high turnover rate with 3pt and ft volume and high assist rate to attain solid efficiency.

Considering his mpg/usage rate and elite play making, of course he's going to be more turnover prone than a caretaker like Jones.

It's foolish to think he wouldn't be willing to adapt playing with the likely future best player in the league, who he seems to want to play with.

The Lillard trade was a no brainer. It kept Antetokounmpo (for now) and raised the ceiling (albeit lowered the floor) of a team who's half court offense annually crumbled in the playoffs (yes, even when they won the championship, which clearly wouldn't have happened had Harden and Irving not been injured).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ridiculous.

If the spurs had 1 or 2 all stars OTHER than wemby - your argument would fly. Of course if the spurs already had two other stars - then going after trae would not be advisable.

Branham, vassell, wesley, et al

are some of the worst - defensive -players in the nba and you are worried about trae youngs faults?

It just does not calculate.
    Branham and Wesley aren't on max contracts. That's the difference. There's a distinct possibility neither guy will even be on the team in a few years, so comparing them to Trae makes no sense. Acquiring Trae would immediately limit or eliminate other possible moves in the future. Watching to see how Branham and Wesley develop doesn't do that. It's fine for a guy on an inexpensive rookie contract to have some fatal flaws, but if the highest paid guy on your team has fatal flaws, that's usually a guarantee that you won't win championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He makes up for middling %'s and high turnover rate with 3pt and ft volume and high assist rate to attain solid efficiency.

Considering his mpg/usage rate and elite play making, of course he's going to be more turnover prone than a caretaker like Jones.

It's foolish to think he wouldn't be willing to adapt playing with the likely future best player in the league, who he seems to want to play with.

The Lillard trade was a no brainer. It kept Antetokounmpo (for now) and raised the ceiling (albeit lowered the floor) of a team who's half court offense annually crumbled in the playoffs (yes, even when they won the championship, which clearly wouldn't have happened had Harden and Irving not been injured).

I can see someone liking the Lillard trade and thinking his offense would be more valuable than Jrue's defense, but I don't think you can call it a no brainer. Personally I would've preferred an upgrade somewhere else, like an impactful 6th man or a back up SF. Admittedly, it's hard to judge at this point, with all of the injuries they've had.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham and Wesley aren't on max contracts. That's the difference. There's a distinct possibility neither guy will even be on the team in a few years, so comparing them to Trae makes no sense. Acquiring Trae would immediately limit or eliminate other possible moves in the future. Watching to see how Branham and Wesley develop doesn't do that. It's fine for a guy on an inexpensive rookie contract to have some fatal flaws, but if the highest paid guy on your team has fatal flaws, that's usually a guarantee that you won't win championships.

there it is ^ “watching to see branham/wesley develop” ^

it means = CONTINUE LOSING

where with an all star you USE those picks you saved for……wait for it….

WINNING.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to trae young!! Unless he accept a sidekick to wemby role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be the idea. Then bring a wing star wiithin the next 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess highly efficient is overstating it, and only based on traditional stats, but even taking TS% into account, Trae Young is 20 among 52 qualified PGs, incidentally below Tre Jones and just above Tyus Jones.

In terms of assists, and I have to say I am quite surprised by it, Young is only 17 among the PGs, below Tre Jones! Which was quite a shock. I thought he'd be much higher.

My argument is that he doesn't have elite playmaking, he is 47 among the 52 qualified PGs in TO rate, above Jaden Ivey, Darius Garland, Russell Westbrook, Ish Smith and Marcus Smart.

Why is it foolish? We have seen so many of these players who wouldn't be willing to adapt, or perhaps unable to adapt. What evidence is there that he would? In fact, there has always been rumours about his self-centred style of play, and it seems he just couldn't get along with any of the teammates he played with. This is a huge red flag to me to get someone who just can't mesh, who didn't change his style of play at all through the years, and just doubles down on it year after year. With the league allegedly looking to take away foul-baiting (we have seen this before, I admit), Trae Young's usefulness drops off (I think dramatically, but you may say slightly, but regardless, there WILL be a drop off because of it).

Lillard trade was most definitely not a no brainer, I expressed heavy doubts about it back then. Milwaukee could've done much better with minor upgrades with shooters to open up the floor for Giannis. Having both Giannis and Lillard create the offence doesn't seem an upgrade, there is still only one ball afterall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there it is ^ “watching to see branham/wesley develop” ^

it means = CONTINUE LOSING

where with an all star you USE those picks you saved for……wait for it….

WINNING.
    Winning what? 45 games a year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys did see the "Warning" section int he "ticker" section, right? It is meant to be a bunch of jocks shooting the .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said in the other thread, there is no new information, just speculation based on obvious things we already knew:
    "there's a ton of interest in playing with Wemby"
    "the Spurs are going to be in play, they're going to be rumored, they're going to be talked about with legitimately every top flight PG in the market place"
    "there's at least some level of interest in seeing what kind of all star caliber point guard can they bring in there"
    "we don't know yet will the Hawks be open for business on Trae Young, what is his future there"
    "Victor Wembanyama... what he showed this year, he made it clear his timeline to winning starts now "

So Wemby is ready and wants to win, players would like to play with him, that will generate talk, he has no idea what the Hawks are going to do with Trae, and if an all star PG becomes available the Spurs will consider,

All quotes that show as much insight as I have into what the Spurs have in mind. Nothing to see here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also a lot of talk about Trae Young.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the biggest fan of Trae and his basketball, but a part of me wants him to come here and prove everyone wrong just because of all the horrendeous takes.
    Yeah, he's a bit of a chucker and was disgustingly bad on defense, but he improved on that end.
    He's playing for one of the worst franchises in the league that has proven to be incapable of making the right moves time and time again.

He's an intelligent guy, at this point he knows he can't be the first option if he wants to win. Buying into being Wemby's Robin would make them a perfect duo on offense.
    Knicks and Timberwolves have two best defenses in the playoffs and both are starting point guards with similar statue to Trae's. If the rest of the team is good on defense, it wouldn't be an issue.

With that being said, I still stand by what I said months ago.
    Giving them their picks back and Chicago pick on top would be my absolute highest offer for him.
    With Keldon and Collins going the other way to match salaries. They can also have Branham if they want him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lillard trade was most definitely not a no brainer, I expressed heavy doubts about it back then. Milwaukee could've done much better with minor upgrades with shooters to open up the floor for Giannis. Having both Giannis and Lillard create the offence doesn't seem an upgrade, there is still only one ball afterall.
    It was a no brainer in getting Giannis to sign an extension and not request a trade. The no-brainer part was getting him extended which meant that when he does finally request a trade out they can recover a lot of picks and assets.

Giannis was throwing his weight around. He's the one who made sure they didn't hire Nurse. He was refusing to sign and demanding they make a big move, he wasn't going to re-sign with minor pieces around the edges.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also a lot of talk about Trae Young.
    Im with the older guy on the right. Trae is just the first sushi boat on the conveyor belt, with more coming. Hold the powder dry.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Winning what? 45 games a year?
    you are losing 60 per year now

you stashed picks to improve

now is the time to improve and there is an all star begging to come to san antonio

TO SAN ANTONIO!

and you want to

“ride with branham/wesley/zollins”

absurd

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see someone liking the Lillard trade and thinking his offense would be more valuable than Jrue's defense, but I don't think you can call it a no brainer. Personally I would've preferred an upgrade somewhere else, like an impactful 6th man or a back up SF. Admittedly, it's hard to judge at this point, with all of the injuries they've had.
    objective mostly covered this, so I'll just add: It's not even so much about liking it as it as cir stances often dictate what you do in this league. This is what I keep trying to stress with the Spurs situation in general.

Antetokounmpo is a limited half court creator for teams that have reasonable defensive personnel for him and between that and the lack of a dynamic perimeter pullup shooter/play maker, it's why they've always struggled in the half court offensively in the playoffs.

The Lillard trade has "failed" so far because Middleton can't stay healthy, they had no way to bring in an adequate 3 and D starting off guard/wing, he doesn't seem thrilled to be their (could just be his family situation) and has begun his decline . . . still, it needed to be done.

In terms of assists, and I have to say I am quite surprised by it, Young is only 17 among the PGs

My argument is that he doesn't have elite playmaking, he is 47 among the 52 qualified PGs in TO rate, above Jaden Ivey, Darius Garland, Russell Westbrook, Ish Smith and Marcus Smart.
    Here are his ranks in terms of assist %: 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 1st. Not only is he an elite play maker, but it's his greatest strength (his floater is probably 2nd).

Why is it foolish? We have seen so many of these players who wouldn't be willing to adapt, or perhaps unable to adapt. What evidence is there that he would? In fact, there has always been rumours about his self-centred style of play, and it seems he just couldn't get along with any of the teammates he played with. This is a huge red flag to me to get someone who just can't mesh, who didn't change his style of play at all through the years, and just doubles down on it year after year. With the league allegedly looking to take away foul-baiting (we have seen this before, I admit), Trae Young's usefulness drops off (I think dramatically, but you may say slightly, but regardless, there WILL be a drop off because of it).
    He's been around long enough to probably concede (internally) that he can't be the best player on a championship contender and he seems to have grown out of some of his diva tendencies from a few years ago.

Thread Information