Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1703
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lillard trade has "failed" so far because Middleton can't stay healthy, they had no way to bring in an adequate 3 and D starting off guard/wing, he doesn't seem thrilled to be their (could just be his family situation) and has begun his decline . . . still, it needed to be done.
    Imo, Lillard trade was fine if we ignore injuries that happened later on, but as you already said they did nothing to cover for the defensive downgrade.
    They replaced Grayson Allen with Malik Beasley. That's about as big of a defensive downgrade as Jrue to Lillard.
    Without elite perimeter defenders Brook is left exposed and everything crumbles. Beverley starting ahead of Beasley improved their defense by a lot in these past few games, even with Beverley being nowhere close to Jrue on defense.

He's been around long enough to probably concede (internally) that he can't be the best player on a championship contender and he seems to have grown out of some of his diva tendencies from a few years ago.
    When people talk about his shooting splits (which are still solid, btw), they don't take into account how bad those Hawks teams were offensively.
    He always had the undivided attention of the entire opposing team. Collins ed up his finger and couldn't shoot anymore. He never could put the ball on the floor.
    Hunter is also a corner 3pt or cut player. Capela can't do anything except finish lobs.
    Bogdanovic was his only legit teammate that was also really dangerous with and without the ball. Then when they got DJ, Bogdanovic went down so it ended up as a lateral move. By the time he recovered they were out of the playoff picture last season.

Then you potentially go from PNR partner that can't do anything other than dunk the floor and a bunch of average spot up shooters to Wemby who can do absolutely everything and needs to be the focus of the entire team to be stopped.
    Can't double or blitz Trae anymore, can't hedge screens because if Wemby doesn't have your full attention, it's over.

Just think of all the damn passes our offensively challenged players couldn't make all season long.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Yeah, he's never played with a legit star, let alone a superstar in the making.

Not only that, but he'd be second in the door and playing for a coach with maximum job security.

I don't buy that he wouldn't be willing to change his game.

This is what happens when you operate in a way no other franchise does though, you get agoraphobia and the brainwashed portion of your fanbase inherits it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im with the older guy on the right. Trae is just the first sushi boat on the conveyor belt, with more coming. Hold the powder dry.
    I completely agree.

Are we becoming enamored "by the first guy that winks at us?".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that awkward moment where both guys are trying to jump ship for the spurs and leave the other behind

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely agree.

Are we becoming enamored "by the first guy that winks at us?".
    The problem is that we desperately need a point guard and there are very few decent ones available.
    We went over it many times, but it's slim pickings out there. Even if we talk just solid point guards who would be long-term solutions.
    Tyus Jones is the only free agent worth mentioning. Brogdon the only veteran we could get for cheap.
    Garland has been awful in the Orlando series. Leaving us with just Trae and DJ as options.
    Other point guards that fit the timeline aren't realistic targets.

Then we have this draft and the options to choose between a bunch of non-shooters, Dillingham who would be a poor man's Trae, Topic who's another Tomas Satoransky and Sheppard who isn't even a true point guard.
    Next draft is also loaded with wings.
    Add the fact that point guard is by far the most difficult position to develop and trading for one seems like a no brainer since anyone we draft would be two years away and that's just not good enough for Wemby.

Trading for Trae, getting a good 3-D veteran and giving another season to Devin and Jeremy while we draft wings in 2024 and 2025 drafts seems reasonable.
    Then depending on how Devin and Jeremy do you either keep them or trade them for better players.
    Sorry, but Devin won't be anywhere near worth that money if he doesn't take the next step. Jeremy can't be anything more than a fan favorite glue guy if he doesn't develop a jumpshot.
    It's just the sad truth of this roster. We got nothing, more or less.

Watch a few playoff games, even between teams that aren't real contenders like Orlando and Cavs and it instantly becomes obvious how much better all those teams are.
    Other than Devin and obviously Wemby, noone on our roster would get a single minute on any playoff team.

I guess Tre would get some minutes with the Suns, but that says way more about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that we desperately need a point guard and there are very few decent ones available.
    We went over it many times, but it's slim pickings out there. Even if we talk just solid point guards who would be long-term solutions.
    Tyus Jones is the only free agent worth mentioning. Brogdon the only veteran we could get for cheap.
    Garland has been awful in the Orlando series. Leaving us with just Trae and DJ as options.

Then we have this draft and the options to choose between a bunch of non-shooters, Dillingham who would be a poor man's Trae, Topic who's another Tomas Satoransky and Sheppard who isn't even a true point guard.
    Add the fact that point guard is by far the most difficult position to develop and trading for one seems like a no brainer since anyone we draft would be two years away and that's just not good enough for Wemby.

Trading for Trae, getting a good 3-D veteran and giving another season to Devin and Jeremy while we draft wings in 2024 and 2025 drafts seems reasonable.
    Then depending on how Devin and Jeremy do you either keep them or trade them for better players.
    Sorry, but Devin won't be anywhere near worth that money if he doesn't take the next step. Jeremy can't be anything more than a fan favorite glue guy if he doesn't develop a jumpshot.

Watch a few playoff games, even between teams that aren't real contenders like Orlando and Cavs and it instantly becomes obvious how much better all those teams are.
    Other than Devin and obviously Wemby, noone on our roster would get a single minute on any playoff team.

I guess Tre would get some minutes with the Suns, but that says way more about them.
    I hear you and respect where you're coming from.
    I just get 90's Spurs vibes from this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there it is ^ “watching to see branham/wesley develop” ^

it means = CONTINUE LOSING

where with an all star you USE those picks you saved for……wait for it….

WINNING.

Way to completely mischaracterize what I said.... My point was Young has fatal flaws and a max contract, and that's a deadly combination that sinks franchises. Branham's & Wesley's contracts are rookie scale and inconsequential, and thus not fatal to the organization. I'd bet neither is even on the team 3 years from now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's also slim pickings when it comes to wings this summer as well.

Klay is the headliner in the FA class?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ showing some actual maturity with this tweet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

how?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you are losing 60 per year now

you stashed picks to improve

now is the time to improve and there is an all star begging to come to san antonio

TO SAN ANTONIO!

and you want to

“ride with branham/wesley/zollins”

absurd
    I didn’t want to ride with those. I just don’t want Trae.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trauma and pain? Another flasher Joshua Primo 2.0 incoming

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that awkward moment where both guys are trying to jump ship for the spurs and leave the other behind

Now I'm trying to imagine a world where the Spurs trade for both of them. It would involve sending the Hawks all their picks and swaps back plus Vassell/Keldon/Collins (proven tank commanders) so they can bottom out in time for the 2025 and 2026 drafts.

That scenario is amusing, and maybe even interesting, but not realistic at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im with the older guy on the right. Trae is just the first sushi boat on the conveyor belt, with more coming. Hold the powder dry.
    Ok but who? who will be that other star in the middle of his prime that fits spurs needs and that better opportunity coming, while wemby is badly needing help NOW?

Giannis, Tatum, Luka? Nope. So who? Mitc ? Cavs owner said he believes Mitc will extend, and even if he doesn't, how we you know for sure he's traded here? You don't find the "right" star, in the right timeline, at the right price under horseshoes or just ouf of patience. They don't fall off trees and there's 29 other teams in the NBA and being picky or too demanding can backfire. There's not that many opportunities, you know when a star is available, you don't know when another will.

So who is surely coming in SA in the next 2 years? It's not because pundits repeat stars are gonna line up to play with Victor that they will, or maybe not the ones you want.

Meanwhile, Wemby is waiting, having to play with backups and third stringers.
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo, Lillard trade was fine if we ignore injuries that happened later on, but as you already said they did nothing to cover for the defensive downgrade.
    They replaced Grayson Allen with Malik Beasley. That's about as big of a defensive downgrade as Jrue to Lillard.
    Without elite perimeter defenders Brook is left exposed and everything crumbles. Beverley starting ahead of Beasley improved their defense by a lot in these past few games, even with Beverley being nowhere close to Jrue on defense.

When people talk about his shooting splits (which are still solid, btw), they don't take into account how bad those Hawks teams were offensively.
    He always had the undivided attention of the entire opposing team. Collins ed up his finger and couldn't shoot anymore. He never could put the ball on the floor.
    Hunter is also a corner 3pt or cut player. Capela can't do anything except finish lobs.
    Bogdanovic was his only legit teammate that was also really dangerous with and without the ball. Then when they got DJ, Bogdanovic went down so it ended up as a lateral move. By the time he recovered they were out of the playoff picture last season.

Then you potentially go from PNR partner that can't do anything other than dunk the floor and a bunch of average spot up shooters to Wemby who can do absolutely everything and needs to be the focus of the entire team to be stopped.
    Can't double or blitz Trae anymore, can't hedge screens because if Wemby doesn't have your full attention, it's over.

Just think of all the damn passes our offensively challenged players couldn't make all season long.
    Well yeah, I posted about that a little while ago but we should'nt be too focused on "Atlanta's Trae" as the main guy, but about Trae's individual skills and "Trae with Wemby"; in a different context for Young than with Hawks... How it would open up a lot of things for both and guys around, assuming you find some shooters.

That pnr would be deadly with an orgy of lobs, both being able to shoot the 3. And Vic could cover Trae's subpar defense like noone could... As being said ad nuseam, you just have to throw the ball in the vicinity of the circle and Victor catches it. That should be 12 to 15 free points/game.

The "exctiment" and wiining part is really not be neglicted, for the fans but also the players. They read all the mockery and trashing they got this year on social and classic media about this team being Wemby and a bunch of scrubs who can't pass him the ball, and it may have affected the overall chemistry of the roster, beyond official comments. Wemby was still a rookie no matter what, and couldn't probably be too vocal about it (also he subtly was at times), but with Trae at the helm, things would be clear... Those are the two main guys, the ones the sytem is built around for now, and everyone lines up and adapt to that or you're out. The absence of hierarchy is a big part of last year's mess. It's time to bring some order and direction in that chaos cos that team really doesn't seem to have a direction right now, nor Pop an idea of what he's doing.
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:19 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but who? who will be that other star in the middle of his prime that fits spurs needs and that better opportunity coming, while wemby is badly needing help NOW?

Giannis, Tatum, Luka? Nope. So who? Mitc ? Cavs owner said he believes Mitc will extend, and even if he doesn't, how we you know for sure he's traded here? You don't find the "right" star, in the right timeline, at the right price under horseshoes or just ouf of patience. They don't fall off trees and there's 29 other teams in the NBA and being picky or too demanding can backfire. There's not that many opportunities, you know when a star is available, you don't know when another will.

So who is surely coming in SA in the next 2 years? It's not because pundits repeat stars are gonna line up to play with Victor that they will, or maybe not the ones you want.

Meanwhile, Wemby is waiting, having to play with backups and third stringers.
    Well if you believe some posters here, Dilly is that answer. But let’s set that one aside.

I get the anxiety about the PG, but lately I’ve been wondering if the short term answer isn’t better shooting from the 3 and 4 in the SL. In other words, let Tre continue to be the game manager for longer BUT upgrade the Sochan and Champagne minutes to punish teams for focusing on VW. if Julian becomes a 40% 3pt threat while providing the D, he can stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you are losing 60 per year now

you stashed picks to improve

now is the time to improve and there is an all star begging to come to san antonio

TO SAN ANTONIO!

and you want to

“ride with branham/wesley/zollins”

absurd
    So go marry some random girl because she had a crush on you? This is about the stupidest line of reasoning.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So go marry some random girl because she had a crush on you? This is about the stupidest line of reasoning.

Or...

stay with a cheating wife whom you already caught and know how much she has been lying to your face -because - she might improve and become a so-so wife after 3-4 years

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    objective mostly covered this, so I'll just add: It's not even so much about liking it as it as cir stances often dictate what you do in this league. This is what I keep trying to stress with the Spurs situation in general.

Antetokounmpo is a limited half court creator for teams that have reasonable defensive personnel for him and between that and the lack of a dynamic perimeter pullup shooter/play maker, it's why they've always struggled in the half court offensively in the playoffs.

The Lillard trade has "failed" so far because Middleton can't stay healthy, they had no way to bring in an adequate 3 and D starting off guard/wing, he doesn't seem thrilled to be their (could just be his family situation) and has begun his decline . . . still, it needed to be done.
    Middleton hasn't been healthy for two years now, and the Bucks got worse because Lillard's defence was a bigger downgrade than his offence is an upgrade. I could buy the Bucks pulled the trade because Giannis demanded it, but that is semi-basketball related. There are so many other things they could've done. those draft picks for Lillard could've been used for a player like Bridges or Cam Johnson. They could've signed Van Fleet (not sure about their cap TBH, perhaps they are over, but they could've dumped some contracts like Connaughton or Lopez to make it happen, having Jrue instead of Lillard also saves them $10M)

Here are his ranks in terms of assist %: 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 1st. Not only is he an elite play maker, but it's his greatest strength (his floater is probably 2nd).
    This I just can't agree with. Assist % is one thing, his TO is terrible. Besides, he has a high Ast % because he has the ball in his hands all the time. Despite his ball dominance (high usage rate, and high asst%), the Hawks were only 12th in ORTG last year (they were 2nd two years ago and barely made the playoffs). Of all the players with a usage rate over 30% this year, Trae Young had the worst TO% (Coincidentally, Wembenyama is 2nd).

Ultimately, I want the ball in Wemby's hands, not Youngs.

He's been around long enough to probably concede (internally) that he can't be the best player on a championship contender and he seems to have grown out of some of his diva tendencies from a few years ago.
    We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, both of us are basing this on conjecture. I don't see Young relinquishing the ball handling duties, and even if he does, I question how much value he has without the ball in his hands constantly. He may be able to do it, as these are exceptional talents, but I really can't recall too many who were able to do so from what I recalled. Scorers score, ball handlers ball handles, players like Iverson, Melo, Steve Francis, Marbury, Lillard, all didn't transition all that well in their new roles, and there is a reason for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or...

stay with a cheating wife whom you already caught and know how much she has been lying to your face -because - she might improve and become a so-so wife after 3-4 years

lol
    Who cheated? If anything, the Spurs young players all worked hard. Besides, we all know these players are girlfriends, or just a random flirt. None of them are #2s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton hasn't been healthy for two years now, and the Bucks got worse because Lillard's defence was a bigger downgrade than his offence is an upgrade. I could buy the Bucks pulled the trade because Giannis demanded it, but that is semi-basketball related. There are so many other things they could've done. those draft picks for Lillard could've been used for a player like Bridges or Cam Johnson. They could've signed Van Fleet (not sure about their cap TBH, perhaps they are over, but they could've dumped some contracts like Connaughton or Lopez to make it happen, having Jrue instead of Lillard also saves them $10M)

This I just can't agree with. Assist % is one thing, his TO is terrible. Besides, he has a high Ast % because he has the ball in his hands all the time. Despite his ball dominance (high usage rate, and high asst%), the Hawks were only 12th in ORTG last year (they were 2nd two years ago and barely made the playoffs). Of all the players with a usage rate over 30% this year, Trae Young had the worst TO% (Coincidentally, Wembenyama is 2nd).

Ultimately, I want the ball in Wemby's hands, not Youngs.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, both of us are basing this on conjecture. I don't see Young relinquishing the ball handling duties, and even if he does, I question how much value he has without the ball in his hands constantly. He may be able to do it, as these are exceptional talents, but I really can't recall too many who were able to do so from what I recalled. Scorers score, ball handlers ball handles, players like Iverson, Melo, Steve Francis, Marbury, Lillard, all didn't transition all that well in their new roles, and there is a reason for it.
    As I said, it was a higher floor/lower ceiling gambit, which is why a team with an impatient superstar, that wasn't good enough to win a championship and had limited assets to improve, needed to make it.

Bridges, Johnson and Van Vleet are role players, not (traditionally) elite half court offenses unto themselves, which is exactly what the Bucks have long needed. They also need Lopez (floor spacing rim protectors are scarce and the exact archetype Antetokounmpo needs alongside) and would have had to burn some of their already limited assets to dump Connaughton.

Assist % or rate doesn't have anything to do with how much you have the ball, it's the % of teammates field goals assisted on and turnover rate is often correlated to high usage, elite (fancy) passer types. The good outweighs the bad in that regard.

Not wanting Wembanyama to be anything less than the clear first option or thinking Young's value would lessen without that role are fair points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information