View Poll Results: Federal regulation on fries and potato chips?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban them

2 33.33%
  • Yes, tax them

3 50.00%
  • No, do nothing, #KeepAmericaFat

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that quick-sale french fries (and potato chips in all forms, but they are less commonly eaten) are the leading cause of cancer along with cigarettes. They are cancer sticks, but the ones you eat not the ones you smoke. Also, they are terrible for your heart, and your immune system. They cause acne (even in adults), eczema, and rash, and inflammation throughout the body with all of the unnatural processed and chemically created toxins. The combination of heated vegetable oil, the processed gunk in the factory potatoes, and above all... the carcinogen acrylamide.

We need to wean ourselves off fast food and fattening junk food and it starts with getting rid of fries and potato chips. They are so disgusting and unhealthy.

Potatoes, when eaten properly, are actually a solid vegetable. Though not the most rich in antioxidants and healthy phytopigments, they are a complete source of many essential nutrients more than most other vegetables, and they provide resistant starch which benefits your gut health and immune system, and provides prebiotics which is probiotic food. However, this only applies to baked, mashed, boiled, etc. potatoes. Pan-sauteed and pan-seared is somewhat in the middle, but still acceptable. Home-cooked fries that are pan-fried and not deep-fried are acceptable, though you're cooking out a lot of the health benefits they aren't carcinogenic as long as you avoid vegetable oil.

However, all the disgusting commercial fries and potato chips should be outright banned, or at minimum be treated as tobacco and be taxed to death. And it's absolutely ridiculous that those toxic cancer sticks known as fries are still being fed to our children. They should be strongly regulated at the U.S. federal level.

Thoughts??

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I haven't had a decent fry over a counter since they quit using animal fat to fry 'em in. They're worthless now. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with 'em.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pity post

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For awhile back close to the century turn Lay's came out with a fat free potato chip. That GD the was freakin' delicious. Less than 1% fat per serving. It was crazy, but the health nuts in this country started in about it being unhealthy, (forget the word used in making of this chip///started with a U I believe). But they wouldn't let it alone, slowly but surely the bags started disappearing and I had to go from one chain to another hording what I could scavenge until they was gone for good.

Kind of on the same subject, Keebler made that Nutter Butter cookie which I wasn't crazy about until they created a chocolate Nutter Butter. That in' thing dunked in 2% milk was a delicacy I shall take to the grave. Gone abruptly. I called the toll free number but they weren't the mood to talk about it. Another great food discontinued for no apparent reason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has nothing to do with potatoes, pal,,,,its all about the sodium,,,,salt,,,,,,so you should have just said federal regulation on sodium/salt,,,,now they arent the exact same thing but we can get into that on another day,,,,but salt is the #1 cause of high blood pressure and high blood pressure is the #1 cause of death. End of story. You add the right amount of sodium/salt to any food and it becomes lethal to your health,,,,that is fact,,,,so dont just attack potato chips and fast food,,,,attack canned soups with obscene amounts of sodium,,,ect,,,,,,so the question at the end of the day should be ban sodium/salt,,,yes or no?,,,,,

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For awhile back close to the century turn Lay's came out with a fat free potato chip. That GD the was freakin' delicious. Less than 1% fat per serving. It was crazy, but the health nuts in this country started in about it being unhealthy, (forget the word used in making of this chip///started with a U I believe). But they wouldn't let it alone, slowly but surely the bags started disappearing and I had to go from one chain to another hording what I could scavenge until they was gone for good.

Kind of on the same subject, Keebler made that Nutter Butter cookie which I wasn't crazy about until they created a chocolate Nutter Butter. That in' thing dunked in 2% milk was a delicacy I shall take to the grave. Gone abruptly. I called the toll free number but they weren't the mood to talk about it. Another great food discontinued for no apparent reason.
    Greatest discontinued food was McDonalds fried pies in the 80s. They were light and crispy. Then in the 90s they replaced that with these heavy, sludgy, baked pies that were gross and McDonalds has been worthless since.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Greatest discontinued food was McDonalds fried pies in the 80s. They were light and crispy. Then in the 90s they replaced that with these heavy, sludgy, baked pies that were gross and McDonalds has been worthless since.
    Yep, amen, bum. It was as close to a delicacy as one could get for a buck.

& an equal (amen) on the (worthless since) assessment. It ain't life and death of course, but still an American tragedy what has happened there. Very sad.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I haven't had a decent fry over a counter since they quit using animal fat to fry 'em in. They're worthless now. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with 'em.
    Frying them in animal fat was also less unhealthy than frying them in the vegetable oil garbage they use today, it sucks they don't do it anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frying them in animal fat was also less unhealthy than frying them in the vegetable oil garbage they use today, it sucks they don't do it anymore.
    90s health trends were so ing stupid. Fat bad. So we got those amazing light and airy McDonalds fried pies replaced with the heavy disgusting baked ones. Animal fat bad but fat from vegetable oil good now? That stupid myth still lives on. When I lived in California people would try my refried beans and want the recipe and then when I told them I fried them in lard they'd get disgusted like if I somehow did it in canola oil instead it would be better for you when in reality it would just make them taste like . At least in Texas a lot of people recognize lard isn't any worse than any other fat your fry in. And then the anti fat craze of the 90s is what led to everything whether at the grocery store or in fast food being pumped full of sugar and now the nation has been ridiculously obese and suffering a type 2 diabetes epidemic for the last 25 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, amen, bum. It was as close to a delicacy as one could get for a buck.

& an equal (amen) on the (worthless since) assessment. It ain't life and death of course, but still an American tragedy what has happened there. Very sad.
    Worst part is McDonalds still makes those pies from the 80s in a lot of the rest of the world while we get stuck with the dog . Mexican McDonalds still has the fried pies. Japan too. I think India, China, Spain also.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Worst part is McDonalds still makes those pies from the 80s in a lot of the rest of the world while we get stuck with the dog . Mexican McDonalds still has the fried pies. Japan too. I think India, China, Spain also.
    We’re also stuck with HFCS soda when the rest of the world gets cane sugar soda that tastes way better.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    90s health trends were so ing stupid. Fat bad. So we got those amazing light and airy McDonalds fried pies replaced with the heavy disgusting baked ones. Animal fat bad but fat from vegetable oil good now? That stupid myth still lives on. When I lived in California people would try my refried beans and want the recipe and then when I told them I fried them in lard they'd get disgusted like if I somehow did it in canola oil instead it would be better for you when in reality it would just make them taste like . At least in Texas a lot of people recognize lard isn't any worse than any other fat your fry in. And then the anti fat craze of the 90s is what led to everything whether at the grocery store or in fast food being pumped full of sugar and now the nation has been ridiculously obese and suffering a type 2 diabetes epidemic for the last 25 years.
    It was all a lobbying effort by companies like General Mills to make food cheaper to produce and more addictive.

I still laugh at how the “food pyramid” was something 90s kids were taught was diet gospel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re also stuck with HFCS soda when the rest of the world gets cane sugar soda that tastes way better.
    Even Mexico uses HFCS for some of their Coke nowadays since it's cheaper there too in some places. Except they don't give the ingredients on the Cokes sold in Mexico so you don't really know if you're getting one with sugar or not. Even the 'Mexican Cokes' they make specifically for the US market in the red label bottle that are marketed as having real sugar got busted for having HFCS in a video I saw on youtube where someone took a bottle of it to a lab to test if it really had sugar.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even Mexico uses HFCS for some of their Coke nowadays since it's cheaper there too in some places. Except they don't give the ingredients on the Cokes sold in Mexico so you don't really know if you're getting one with sugar or not. Even the 'Mexican Cokes' they make specifically for the US market in the red label bottle that are marketed as having real sugar got busted for having HFCS in a video I saw on youtube where someone took a bottle of it to a lab to test if it really had sugar.
    how recently was this? I haven’t had Mexican coke in like 10 years, but in hindsight the different taste might have been a placebo effect.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HFCS is something that should definitely be regulated if not out right banned, but so should artificial sweeteners. Diet pop (soda) is worse than regular, but if you put cane sugar it'd be not too bad on the health front at all and tastier... and realistically shouldn't be more expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I 100 percent agree with this.

This was a government / big pharma conspiracy for sure.

Side note, the left are the ones who want to do away with meat / real natural sources these days, and they claim they're the environmentalists... more like anti-humanists.

Yuh Bill Gates... take away meat and 90% of the population becomes diabetic in a New York minute.

It was all a lobbying effort by companies like General Mills to make food cheaper to produce and more addictive.

I still laugh at how the “food pyramid” was something 90s kids were taught was diet gospel.
    Agreed...

Also, Tyson Foods partnering with "insect protein" companies has me worried. I don't want to eat meat mixed with processed, ground up bugs...

Agreed with this... Go read some Talon Fitness on Youtube, he's one of my favorite Youtube channels. He's not partisan at all and he explains nutrition science of food in depth. His tier lists on every food group and category are excellent.

He has Lard, Tallow, and Chicken Fat as "A" tier cooking fats and all the vegetable oils are in the "D" tier, I believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can immediately tell when a mexican restaurant does their refried beans with lard or that other .

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side note, the left are the ones who want to do away with meat / real natural sources these days, and they claim they're the environmentalists... more like anti-humanists.
    I'm all for going back to real ingredients but right-wing poors like you whenever food prices increase, you can't have it both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for going back to real ingredients but right-wing poors like you whenever food prices increase, you can't have it both ways.
    They've already increased way enough over the last 2 years without any improvement in quality or healthfulness.

What we need is to, first reverse inflation (prices) back to 2019, possibly get back to the gold standard, and have a 1-2% inflation federal law / mandate that triggers sky-high interest rates to axe inflation whenever it crosses the 2.0% inflation threshold. Make sure GDP and the stock market never gets too high or out of control. Encourage more bonds, high yield CDs, less stocks.

Cheap borrowing power for too long and the stimulus crap of 2020 caused this. Yes, Trump signed it into law, but if he'd vetoed it he almost certainly would have gotten the veto overriden with a 67% majority and looked like a clown in an election year, to all except those who are actually financially responsible like a Rand Paul type. It was a lose-lose scenario for both Trump and America.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hey, what does your kid eat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can immediately tell when a mexican restaurant does their refried beans with lard or that other .
    Yeah lard or bacon fat are the only acceptable thing to fry beans in. Maybe beef tallow would be decent too though haven't tried it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how recently was this? I haven’t had Mexican coke in like 10 years, but in hindsight the different taste might have been a placebo effect.
    This is the video I was referencing; youtube says it's 3 years old.

I don't think I could tell a cane sugar Coke from a HFCS one in a double blind taste test and imagine it is mostly placebo effect when people say how much better Mexican Coke is even 20 years ago when it was 100% using sugar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've already increased way enough over the last 2 years without any improvement in quality or healthfulness.

What we need is to, first reverse inflation (prices) back to 2019, possibly get back to the gold standard, and have a 1-2% inflation federal law / mandate that triggers sky-high interest rates to axe inflation whenever it crosses the 2.0% inflation threshold. Make sure GDP and the stock market never gets too high or out of control. Encourage more bonds, high yield CDs, less stocks.

Cheap borrowing power for too long and the stimulus crap of 2020 caused this. Yes, Trump signed it into law, but if he'd vetoed it he almost certainly would have gotten the veto overriden with a 67% majority and looked like a clown in an election year, to all except those who are actually financially responsible like a Rand Paul type. It was a lose-lose scenario for both Trump and America.
    Jacking up interest rates won't stop the corporate consolidation that is the main factor driving inflation. Only thing that would stop that would be breaking up the huge companies that dominate this nation in pretty much every facet. We basically live in a planned economy now when every industry seems to be dominated by 2-4 companies. I remember when fears of a planned economy making everything expensive were taught as the socialist boogeyman, but it's a feature of capitalism too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jacking up interest rates won't stop the corporate consolidation that is the main factor driving inflation. Only thing that would stop that would be breaking up the huge companies that dominate this nation in pretty much every facet. We basically live in a planned economy now when every industry seems to be dominated by 2-4 companies. I remember when fears of a planned economy making everything expensive were taught as the socialist boogeyman, but it's a feature of capitalism too.
    I don't disagree

That's why I label myself as a nationalist populist, not a "capitalism uber alles" type.

People sometimes fail to distinguish between socialism and communism, which is a form of tyranny/absolutism. Some socialism such as an rust law/breaking up big corporations, blocking some large-scale "mergers" and acquisitions, is a good thing. I've always advocated for this. Heck, some of the old New Deal policy like SS/Medicare which currently has a >90% national approval rating, is socialistic, and people don't really complain about it for the most part these days. Politicians don't run on privatizing it anymore as it's become a bit of a third-rail talking point, and rightfully so.

When people especially on the GOP side try to blame "muh socialism" for all their problems, it comes off to me as very cringe.

Thread Information