Page 239 of 305 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 7607
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have historically seemed to place a lot of weight on the combine and workouts. More so than other organizations.
    Would not surprise me if that happens again and we get a prospect that overachieves in combine scrimmages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are right about Tony's game translating to todays NBA. but if the Spurs did have a time machine, they don't bring back Tony to play PG alongside Wemby, they would chose Manu to do this.
    the fact that thy didn't succeed to find a big PG (or develop one from their player pool) doesn't mean that the plan itself was bad. todays NBA trends to combo guards and Spurs are even building a team for tomorrows NBA, where the traditionell PG might be as outdated as the old school Center already is.
    - Maxey, Lillard, Beal/Booker, DLo Russell were all first round exit.
    - One of Brunson/Haliburton is next in the semis, then the other one is out vs BOS after that in a very weak East tbh.
    - Conley doesn't make it past Denver imo. Nuggs are gonna adapt to Ant.
    - Curry, Van Vleet didn't make the POs.

Anyone can take it they wish regarding short PGs in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Maxey, Lillard, Beal/Booker, DLo Russell were all first round exit.
    - One of Brunson/Haliburton is next in the semis, then the other one is out vs BOS after that in a very weak East tbh.
    - Conley doesn't make it past Denver imo. Nuggs are gonna adapt to Ant.
    - Curry, Van Vleet didn't make the POs.

Anyone can take it they wish regarding short PGs in today's NBA.
    I feel like we're going around in circles on this. You're treating it like a small guard is a poison that automatically causes early playoff exits, when championship winners is an extremely small category and they're all different. It used to be that you needed more than one star, but then Milwaukee and Denver happened.

Stephen Curry, if you didn't notice, won four championships.

Which championship teams had Wembanyama? If you put Tony Parker next to Wembanyama, they are gold.

And it's not like drafting a less talented player in this draft who is bigger is going to automatically get you a championship. Does drafting Isaiah Collier get you a championship, because he's a few inches taller?

It's just not adequate to say small guards cannot win championships when very, very few teams win championships and small guards already have won championships. There's no 'new era' about it. If anything, small guards thrive more nowadays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KOC updated his big board, and it's about as horrible as you could possibly imagine. He's doing a bit, right?

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

1. Castle
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Topic
    5. Buzelis
    6. Knecht
    7. Sheppard
    8. Dillingham
    9. Williams
    10. Risacher

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KOC updated his big board, and it's about as horrible as you could possibly imagine. He's doing a bit, right?

1. Castle
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Topic
    5. Buzelis
    6. Knecht
    7. Sheppard
    8. Dillingham
    9. Williams
    10. Risacher
    Castle/Clingan that high would be awesome, since we don’t really want either!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle/Clingan that high would be awesome, since we don’t really want either!
    Having Castle at #1 makes absolutely no sense unless Wizards get the first pick. Even then, I don't think they'd pass on Sarr.
    Wizards, Spurs, Raptors and Jazz are the only teams that will be looking for a point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having Castle at #1 makes absolutely no sense unless Wizards get the first pick. Even then, I don't think they'd pass on Sarr.
    Wizards, Spurs, Raptors and Jazz are the only teams that will be looking for a point guard.
    It’s a big board, not a mock draft. It doesn’t take account for team needs, it’s who he sees as players who will be most successful in their careers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a big board, not a mock draft. It doesn’t take account for team needs, it’s who he sees as players who will be most successful in their careers.
    My bad, I didn't realize there are two tabs on that site. Didn't open the link now, the last time I checked KOC had his own mock draft.
    That one has Raptors taking Sarr with #1 (imagine the odds) and Jazz taking Castle with #2.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have historically seemed to place a lot of weight on the combine and workouts. More so than other organizations.
    Would not surprise me if that happens again and we get a prospect that overachieves in combine scrimmages.
    I could see this happen as well as them trading down for the player they like. Part of me also thinks since this draft isn't a strong one, that FO could trade for a player (salary dump or real prospect) already on an nba roster and possibly gain more draft capital for '25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad, I didn't realize there are two tabs on that site. Didn't open the link now, the last time I checked KOC had his own mock draft.
    That one has Raptors taking Sarr with #1 (imagine the odds) and Jazz taking Castle with #2.
    His mock draft is not that far from his big board. And I believe he's off for the top 3 (and overall) and will correct it as the draft gets closer.

I'd like it to since that means he'd be available for the spurs but I do'nt see 9 teams passing on Risacher, speciaily with the guys ahead.

But posting "original" mock drafts is also way to get particular attention and make people talk about it, as we're doing now.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 11:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For people who were worried about Risacher FTs, looks like it was more a question of focus and rythm, than shooting issues. He's been working on that and is shooting 84% these past 5 games (16/19) and 74% for the season. He should be 80%+ shooter in career in the NBA.

Speaking of focus, it's interesting that see that knowing he'd be particularly scrutinized by NBA scouts these last few weeks, Risacher answered the pressure to not only up is game and stats but clearly focused on what people could have seen as flaws or be worried about... Besides FTs, he crashed the boards and is also averaging 6.8rb a game these last 5. The kid wants to make a point.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 11:32 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may be missing the point here, or at least the one I was making. We have a high chance at picking #7, whether that be ours or Raptors pick. We don't really seem to want Castle (need shooting) or Clingan. Regardless of whether we get 1 pick or 2, it will be really nice for us to see one of them go in the top 6. Then in a virtual "worst case" of picking at 7 only (or having 7 as our second pick). We are not left choosing between Knecht, Castle, Clingan, or Williams. That would feel like a real "booby prize" to end up getting only one of those players.

Now if we got two of Sarr, Topic, Buzelis, Sheppard, Dillingham, Risacher. THAT would be an impressive haul. And one of those, plus one of the other four is in the happy medium range.

Best case: get two of the top 6: Sarr, Topic, Buzelis, Sheppard, Dillingham, Risacher
    Next best case: one of the top 6, one of the next 4 (Castle, Clingan, Knecht, Williams).
    Next best case: one of the top 6
    Worst case: one of the next 4 (Castle, Clingan, Knecht, Williams)

Now based on our team needs, I think that is an accurate estimate of the top 6 and next 4. That should make it more clear why I'd love to see another team take 1-2 of the next 4, ahead of our top 6.

Yes, I understand opinions vary but of that next 4:

Castle suspect shooter
    Clingan a big we don't need, no outside shooting
    Knecht older prospect
    Williams borderline top 10 selection

Of those, I'd probably go Knecht as he is regarded as being capable of instant offense. Sort of like adding a "quasi-vet" to a team that needs more experience, stability, and shooting. Castle/Williams are a tossup to me, maybe go Williams due to better size, and need for more length at the 3 spot. Clingan, don't want, rather have Edey tbh.

The nice part is while I probably have this wrong, that makes 9 players worth having and the worst we can pick is 9. Which is practically a zero chance to occur, actually.

But, I think missing out on at least one of those top 6 would qualify as a real "buzz kill", IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the second round, I want G/F Dillon Jones from Weber State with our early pick. Then, with our later pick, I want PG Tristan Newton from UConn.

I am still conflicted about our one or two lottery selections.

One player I really like in the 20s is PG Tyler Kolek from Marquette. He reminds me of a mixture of Stockton and Price.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Castle
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Topic
    5. Buzelis
    6. Knecht
    7. Sheppard
    8. Dillingham
    9. Williams
    10. Risacher
    I have Sarr and Castle one two in that order

I don't see any all stars in that group
    Sarr has the biggest upside that's why he'll be drafted first

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got us the 1 and 7 picks on tankathon, first try!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another second rounder :

Jonathan Mogbo !

I'm on the Mogbo train, choo -choo !!

If Montrez Harrell could pass, he'd be Mogbo. Plus, his name is very close to the trusted news anchor Morbo.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Castle
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Topic
    5. Buzelis
    6. Knecht
    7. Sheppard
    8. Dillingham
    9. Williams
    10. Risacher
    Looks like a board I'd love to see other GMs buy into if I could get Dillingham and Risacher with say picks 7 & 8.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gross, he has the Spurs taking Clingan at #6 with their only pick (has Toronto getting #1 in his lottery sim).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Castle
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Topic
    5. Buzelis
    6. Knecht
    7. Sheppard
    8. Dillingham
    9. Williams
    10. Risacher
    He says Matas Buzelis is known as a connective playmaker with good shooting when he's not a great playmaker and cannot shoot. Also says he's from Lithuania when he's American.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another second rounder :

Jonathan Mogbo !

I'm on the Mogbo train, choo -choo !!

If Montrez Harrell could pass, he'd be Mogbo. Plus, his name is very close to the trusted news anchor Morbo.
    Nice call on this guy. I went and watched some of his highlights. Strong post presence. Nice passer for a big wing. Solid defense inside and on the perimeter. Really the only negative I noticed was his lack of a perimeter game. However, it could also be a positive, cause he wasn't forcing up poor shots. Also, because of his inside threat and presence, he was able to suck in the defense and then find teammates for wide open looks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-agg...efore-combine/

Above article has interesting insights on draft prospects, taking into consideration the plus and minuses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice call on this guy. I went and watched some of his highlights. Strong post presence. Nice passer for a big wing. Solid defense inside and on the perimeter. Really the only negative I noticed was his lack of a perimeter game. However, it could also be a positive, cause he wasn't forcing up poor shots. Also, because of his inside threat and presence, he was able to suck in the defense and then find teammates for wide open looks.
    Yes, I'm looking forward to his combine, he's invited, I think he might get to 6-9 in shoes.

He's been at 4 different colleges in 4 years, I think that some stability in an organization and g-league might unlock some things and he could turn into a real player, he already has interesting analytics in college. He absolutely can't shoot right now, but has shown be can make progress going from 49% free throw 3 as a junior to 63%

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just not adequate to say small guards cannot win championships when very, very few teams win championships and small guards already have won championships. There's no 'new era' about it. If anything, small guards thrive more nowadays.
    there is an interesting article about height evolution in the NBA:
    70 Years of Height Evolution in the NBA [4,504 players analyzed] | RunRepeat

the key findings are:
    Point guards are the tallest they have ever been in legue history, while the average NBA player has never been shorter over the past 39 years, all positions outside PGs are shortest sice the 80s.
    similar to height evolution, point guards are the heaviest they've ever been. all other positions are getting lighter.

there are some interesting diagrams, the one that I was especially interested in is: "share of players in the NBA per height range", because this shows the trend best: a significant increase of the share of players from 6'3" to 6'5" over the last 20 years. this has to be the increasing number of combo guards teams play in their back court.

I think noone claims that a small player can't succeed in the NBA, if he has some outstanding skills. but position less play and switchablity generates a trend and I don't think teams totally ignore that trend. the point is, you want a player, who can defend at least two positions, better three, if not four. if you can only defend one position (the tiny guard, the plodding center) you inevitable block many possible defensive shemes.
    that's why I don't agree to the theory, that because you have Wemby, it's not a problem to play a small guard, because Wemby will cover for this. yes, right, Wemby would minimize the damage, but you still rob yourself of some defensive versatility. it's like saying "hey, we have a hole in our boat, but no problem, we've got a guy with a big bucket"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the whole 'small guards' thing here is of course you want tall guards, but who else are you going to draft in this lottery?

You can either get a guard with superior skills (exceptional scoring, ball-handling, compe iveness, clutchness) - OR - you can draft a less talented player just because they're tall.

We can talk theoreticals or we can talk about who is actually available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is an interesting article about height evolution in the NBA:
    70 Years of Height Evolution in the NBA [4,504 players analyzed] | RunRepeat

the key findings are:
    Point guards are the tallest they have ever been in legue history, while the average NBA player has never been shorter over the past 39 years, all positions outside PGs are shortest sice the 80s.
    similar to height evolution, point guards are the heaviest they've ever been. all other positions are getting lighter.

there are some interesting diagrams, the one that I was especially interested in is: "share of players in the NBA per height range", because this shows the trend best: a significant increase of the share of players from 6'3" to 6'5" over the last 20 years. this has to be the increasing number of combo guards teams play in their back court.

I think noone claims that a small player can't succeed in the NBA, if he has some outstanding skills. but position less play and switchablity generates a trend and I don't think teams totally ignore that trend. the point is, you want a player, who can defend at least two positions, better three, if not four. if you can only defend one position (the tiny guard, the plodding center) you inevitable block many possible defensive shemes.
    that's why I don't agree to the theory, that because you have Wemby, it's not a problem to play a small guard, because Wemby will cover for this. yes, right, Wemby would minimize the damage, but you still rob yourself of some defensive versatility. it's like saying "hey, we have a hole in our boat, but no problem, we've got a guy with a big bucket"
    If I you have the choice, yeah, that versatile long 2/3 is what you want in today's NBA, reason why I 'd prefer spurs to draft Risacher rather than Dilly or another guard in tis draft but I'd say every situation is different, and the main issue with shorter guards is when they're your first option and the game is build around them.

I'd love a Tatum, Ant or Giannis to play with Wemby but they're really hard to get and I would say a shorter guard is less an issue with Wemby whose game is build around, also as a creator, when that shorter guard would focus on setting (lobs, pnr) and shooting 3s, with 3&D guys around. Wemby is taking so much attention, both sides of the floor that it really can make up for one weak link in your defense, assuming that guy is producing on offense (pt, ass and FTs) and is helping Wemby express all his potential there.

Thread Information