Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we tried to make him an assistant coach for a year a few years back and it didn't work that great. He kind of seemed to not care. That was a bad, rebuilding team.

But now that they have this guy? Spurs have the unique opportunity to make him into one of the top 5 players to ever play the game as long as he stays healthy.

I think Duncan coming in and spending considerable time would be amazing and make the Spurs win sooner rather than later. Duncan was already an MVP candidate by year 2. Most of the league's greats, including Jordan, James, Kobe, Dirk, Curry, Giannis etc. weren't that great until later on in their careers.

3 years, 60 million, doesn't count against the salary cap because he isn't playing. It would pay for itself IMO for the Holts because you'd have butts in seats guaranteed for the next 20 years if the Spurs build another dynasty around this special talent. Deal or no deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor needs work passing out of double teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor needs work passing out of double teams.
    Yup and Timmy was a virtuoso at that

Look at Duncan even in 99 against the Knicks. In 2003 he led the Spurs in assists... from the power forward and often center position. He was doubled almost every possession. There's a reason Stephen Jackson, Manu, Steve Kerr et al were always wide open that year.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all love GOATPF Timmy

but what can he teach a young Wemby that any decent NBA coach can't? (not talking Pop, but a good assistant or position coach)

Timmy is the equivalent of a multiple Nobel prize winning scientist while Wemby is a prodigy who graduated university early.

Other than general like "try your best ... make your diet good ... listen to Pop" not sure what Timmy can add to Wemby's development at the moment aside from inspiration.

in several years when Wemby has learned all he can from the coaching staff, then Timmy can maybe help him with the 11th-level wizarding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all love GOATPF Timmy

but what can he teach a young Wemby that any decent NBA coach can't? (not talking Pop, but a good assistant or position coach)

Timmy is the equivalent of a multiple Nobel prize winning scientist while Wemby is a prodigy who graduated university early.

Other than general like "try your best ... make your diet good ... listen to Pop" not sure what Timmy can add to Wemby's development at the moment aside from inspiration.

in several years when Wemby has learned all he can from the coaching staff, then Timmy can maybe help him with the 11th-level wizarding
    ummm... maybe some dominant post moves that make Duncan special by year two? Part of Tim's greatness was that he was so great from so early in his career. Other greats like Lebron and Curry can't say that.

Maybe how to make the right pass out of the double team in the post?

Maybe those timing blocks that made Duncan special on defense? Because the Dwight Howard blocks are low value, since they end up in row G and the other team gets the ball back or they ricochet back to the three point line and ....sploosh, the other team just scored one more point than they would have, but hey, yay you got a block to add to your stats so zomg!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldnt be shocked to see Timmy spend a bit more time at the practice facility this summer/fall.

might even see Bobo make an appearance or two...

Parker....well, Victor might want to not bring his gf around on those days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ummm... maybe some dominant post moves that make Duncan special by year two? Part of Tim's greatness was that he was so great from so early in his career. Other greats like Lebron and Curry can't say that.

Maybe how to make the right pass out of the double team in the post?

Maybe those timing blocks that made Duncan special on defense? Because the Dwight Howard blocks are low value, since they end up in row G and the other team gets the ball back or they ricochet back to the three point line and ....sploosh, the other team just scored one more point than they would have, but hey, yay you got a block to add to your stats so zomg!
    bring the university professor in to teach junior high, got it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Tim has to be an assistant coach to do that. He'll probably work out with Wembanyama plenty of times

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bring the university professor in to teach junior high, got it
    Your comparison doesn't stand. We're just talking about an all time great who would teach a younger, talented guy, who would respect him, a few moves and give advice from his own experience... That's the history of sports. Wemby worked on his handlings mimicking Pete Maravich pratice moves his then coach taught him. And this is just BB, not quantum mechanics, Wemby doesn't need to wait 4 or 5 years to be able to understand what Timmy would show him. The earlier you work on that, actually the better.

Pop is an all time great too, and what would be considered a professor of BB, and he's still teaching rooks every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim is happy with raising his children right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim is happy with raising his wife's trainer's children right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure Timmy can mentor the youth of today..

Hard work and passion has largely been replaced by Tik Tok Videos and Call of Duty.. Although Timmy is a gamer..

Hopefully he is around enough to mentor the kid assuming they can click personality wise..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Tim has to be an assistant coach to do that. He'll probably work out with Wembanyama plenty of times
    This.

Doubt Timmy wants to commit to that role again. He seemed uncomfortable/bored doing it a couple of years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your comparison doesn't stand. We're just talking about an all time great who would teach a younger, talented guy, who would respect him, a few moves and give advice from his own experience... That's the history of sports. Wemby worked on his handlings mimicking Pete Maravich pratice moves his then coach taught him. And this is just BB, not quantum mechanics, Wemby doesn't need to wait 4 or 5 years to be able to understand what Timmy would show him. The earlier you work on that, actually the better.

Pop is an all time great too, and what would be considered a professor of BB, and he's still teaching rooks every year.

Spurs: Yo, Timmy Dunks!

Tim: Hey, man, what's up?

Spurs: Not much, just chilling ... What are you up to this afternoon?

Tim: Well, actually, I'm playing some Call of Duty right now with Bonner and Boris. Then later was going to maybe hang with my kids. And later tonight after dinner I was gonna all over Vanessa's big ties. Maybe game a little bit more after that. How about you?

Spurs: Hey, do you think you can find time to slide on down to the practice facility and teach young Wemby how to pass out of double teams?

Tim: Do what?

Spurs: Yeah, or maybe like, show him some post footwork or something? That would totally rock.

Tim: ----

Spurs: Whaddya think, Timmy?

Tim: ----

Spurs: Timm-ay! Tim-tron! Tim-bo-rino! The BIG FUNDAMENTAL.

Tim: *electronic explosions in background*

Spurs: Old Man Riverwalk?

Tim: *more explosions and radio chatter*

Spurs: Father Tim?

Tim: Yeah OK tell Victor to keep his hips low or something. And tell COACH Pop he might want to think about doing his job -- Coaching. But give him some daps too, from me. Peace!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not mind Timmy or even Manu coming and coaching G League - I think that would be cool especially this upcoming season if we get two picks I think for the most part they going to spend a lot of time in G League.

Thread Information