Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp said it best that if Danny Green dyed his hair and dated Rihanna that we would view him the same way as Rodman. Rodman dying his hair and dating Madonna is what really catapulted his image from being viewed as a good role player to a star along with playing in Chicago. When in reality he was a just a very good role player.
    haha oh man I love Danny Green but his taste in women damn he don’t discriminate… I chopped it up courtisde with him in Detroit his last year as a Spur as he rode a bike behind the bench that whole game and he was a super nice guy but man when he got to Toronto amd really started having his fun the girls he was partying with were not quite on RiRi’s level haha. Straight 5s lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha oh man I love Danny Green but his taste in women damn he don’t discriminate… I chopped it up courtisde with him in Detroit his last year as a Spur as he rode a bike behind the bench that whole game and he was a super nice guy but man when he got to Toronto amd really started having his fun the girls he was partying with were not quite on RiRi’s level haha. Straight 5s lol.
    yup, danny was dating my barber's daughter and she was a cow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can believe that. Danny seems to have a thing for regular plain looking white girls. That's cool that you got meet him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can believe that. Danny seems to have a thing for regular plain looking white girls. That's cool that you got meet him.
    haha Green seemed to cut loose once he got to TO. It’s a pretty vibrant night life compared to SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup, danny was dating my barber's daughter and she was a cow
    haha man he is still one of my all-time favourite Spurs. Contract year DG was always something to watch!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt suddenly getting more love, he was consistently in the lower half of the top ten in previous years, but he is now in the top 5 over Russell and Bird (who used to rank above him all the time)

Speaking of Wilt, I can't understand the logic of having Wilt and Russell at 5 and 6. One is mostly stats, the other mostly les. But if one is more important than the others, they shouldn't be so close together. If both are important, then players ranked below them should separate them as well (Duncan, Shaq, Dirk)

Magic at 4? Really? I mean, he's my favourite non-spurs player ever, but 4?

Kobe somehow jumped 3 spots just for being dead.

The Big O is ranked pretty high for someone who never won a ring as the alpha.

Durant at 12 is . couple of stacked rings, consistently shrunk when the going gets tough. I'd have Curry or Giannis over him

Hakeem at 13 is pretty low, I'd put him at top 10

No way Moses below Dr. J

Baylor is way too high for a guy with no ring. Wilt, Magic, Kobe, and now Baylor, seems like you get a bonus bump just being a Laker. Only Shaq was shafted.

Glad to see Barkley over the pedo.

Barkley, pedo, Stockton, Admiral, and Pippen are all interchangeable to me.

Isiah is ranked shockingly low

I just can't see Wade being higher than Pippen

Nephew being 33 is laughable

Walton is way too high for a guy who was mostly injured

As much as I hate Harden, he's a little low.

Reggie shouldn't even be on the list, and at 51? Over Gervin? Come on. Both guys did nothing but score, Gervin scored a lot more. And how in the can Reggie be over Drexler? How?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nephew at 33 is too high. He has about 4-5 worthy seasons. One of his rings/Final's MVP was a role player award. Take that away, and he's in the 1 ring/1 FMVP tier without any of the longevity.

Stockton at 24... he was never an MVP candidate or considered a top 10 player. He played for so long that his stats became untouchable.

McHale at 39? LOL.

KD @ 12 is way too high with his team stacking ass. Any halfway decent player coulda rang with the Warriors.

To the poster above, Magic is fine at 4. 5 les, 3 FMVP, 4 MVP's... in a short 11 year career, making the finals like 9 times. Why not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love him but throw out team stats and no reasonable person would claim Tony Parker was a better player than Lillard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD's always in my top 5. Not sure what my list would look like as I never saw a lot of these guys play.

My rough one would be :

1. MJ (A killer in crunch time with the game on the line. Not sure if there was better consistently in those situations as MJ)
    2. Kareem (Nothing much needs to be said)
    3. Lebron (Not a big fan of his as he needed stacked, stacked teams to win rings. He was also terrible in clutch situations for more than the first half of his career. I'd personally like to rank him lower)
    4. Magic (He made the finals most of the time he played. I want to say it's because he played on stacked teams, but when I really think about it, there is other players that have been on stacked teams and never even made the finals once, so I'd say Magic was doing something right)
    5. TD (TD I could put in the 3-5 range, but I am trying not to be too biased. If his knee and athleticism held up better and he had more of a prime like Hakeem did athletically/physically, I'd say he would have made the top 3)
    6. Shaq (Very dominant when he was focused and locked in. Could have been as high as number 2 or even possibly number 1 if he took every game and season as seriously as Kobe did)
    7. Hakeem
    8. Wilt (Maybe he deserves to be higher, but I never saw him play so not sure of his compe ion or how high to rank him. His stats are too dominant to put him lower. Maybe he deserves to be top 5)
    9. Larry
    10. Kobe (personally, I like Kobe better than Lebron and Magic due to his killer at ude/instinct when the game was on the line, but I never saw Kobe get anywhere without a top 2 bigman in the NBA, so not sure how he would have done with a more balanced team and less dominant bigmen)
    Last edited by Ice009; 02-23-2022 at 11:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nephew at 33 is too high. He has about 4-5 worthy seasons. One of his rings/Final's MVP was a role player award. Take that away, and he's in the 1 ring/1 FMVP tier without any of the longevity.

Stockton at 24... he was never an MVP candidate or considered a top 10 player. He played for so long that his stats became untouchable.

McHale at 39? LOL.

KD @ 12 is way too high with his team stacking ass. Any halfway decent player coulda rang with the Warriors.

To the poster above, Magic is fine at 4. 5 les, 3 FMVP, 4 MVP's... in a short 11 year career, making the finals like 9 times. Why not?
    Magics team were stacked high and the west was utter trash most of the time. By the time the lakers get to the finals, going through the likes of nuggets and sonics, the east finalist were beaten up (76ers, pistons, Celtics were all better than the second best teams in the west by a long shot).

The teams that Give the lakers trouble (Mavs rockets) would inexplicably have their best matchup problems suspended due to drug issues. I mean, magic partied so hard he got aids, he didn’t use drug in LA hanging out with movie stars and pros utes in the 80s?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD's always in my top 5. Not sure what my list would look like as I never saw a lot of these guys play.

My rough one would be :

1. MJ (A killer in crunch time with the game on the line. Not sure if there was better consistently in those situations as MJ)
    3. Lebron (Not a big fan as his as he needed stacked, stacked teams to win rings. He was also terrible in clutch situations for more than the first half of his career. I'd personally like to rank him lower)
    By 90s standards the Bulls had a stacked team
    Also, Lebron took a terrible Cavs team to the Finals in 07
    As for clutchness, doesn't lebron have better stats than MJ? And let's not forget MJ also choked big time and also got bailed out by his teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magics team were stacked high and the west was utter trash most of the time. By the time the lakers get to the finals, going through the likes of nuggets and sonics, the east finalist were beaten up (76ers, pistons, Celtics were all better than the second best teams in the west by a long shot).

The teams that Give the lakers trouble (Mavs rockets) would inexplicably have their best matchup problems suspended due to drug issues. I mean, magic partied so hard he got aids, he didn’t use drug in LA hanging out with movie stars and pros utes in the 80s?
    This tbh

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are Giannis or Durant above Robinson? Heck, Durant wasn't better than Hakeem. Dude only plays one side of the ball and played in an era where perimeter players are being babied and coddled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Carmelo Anthony shouldn't be on any Top 100 list much less this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are Giannis or Durant above Robinson? Heck, Durant wasn't better than Hakeem. Dude only plays one side of the ball and played in an era where perimeter players are being babied and coddled.
    The Admiral is my favourite player of all time and I have no problem with people putting Giannis over him. Rightly or wrongly, Robinson just gets penalized because he was on some horribly constructed teams. He never had a running mate like Jrue Holiday or Khris Middleton (may be Sean could be considered a Middleton level guy) during his prime, but routinely dragged that horribly constructed team to 50+ wins year after year. Then the team's weakness got exploited and he was called out as a choker. Sure, Giannis choked before last year as well, but nobody remembers it because he climbed the peak being by far the best player on his team as his teammates covered for his weakness, but Robinson never had that luxury.

In summary, too bad for the Admiral. if he was on a team with a rugged big to do the dirty work and an all star level PG who can actually hit a three now and then to open up the paint, he could've won a ring or two in his prime, but he didn't.

As for Durant, the guy is just getting overrated like crazy. I just don't understand it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a where perimeter players are being babied and coddled.
    Like MJ was babied ad coddled by the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like MJ was babied ad coddled by the league?
    After constantly being pummeled by the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons... the Celtics, the Sixers, the Knicks... Yeah, MJ was the beneficiary of phantom trips to the line, but he was also the recipient of many hard fouls. My primary argument was really in the context of the legality of hand-checking and how the lack of hand-checking in today's game makes today's players look like video game players in the 90s. IN OTHER WORDS, their games are made to look better. Imagine Ice Gervin playing in today's era - he would likely average over 35 PPG and make it look effortless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Admiral is my favourite player of all time and I have no problem with people putting Giannis over him. Rightly or wrongly, Robinson just gets penalized because he was on some horribly constructed teams. He never had a running mate like Jrue Holiday or Khris Middleton (may be Sean could be considered a Middleton level guy) during his prime, but routinely dragged that horribly constructed team to 50+ wins year after year. Then the team's weakness got exploited and he was called out as a choker. Sure, Giannis choked before last year as well, but nobody remembers it because he climbed the peak being by far the best player on his team as his teammates covered for his weakness, but Robinson never had that luxury.

In summary, too bad for the Admiral. if he was on a team with a rugged big to do the dirty work and an all star level PG who can actually hit a three now and then to open up the paint, he could've won a ring or two in his prime, but he didn't.

As for Durant, the guy is just getting overrated like crazy. I just don't understand it.
    I get the Giannis love... he's spectacular to watch. But defensively, he is no where near the caliber defender that Big Dave was. The four best defensive big-men (with all-around game) were Robinson, Duncan, Russell and Hakeem... everyone else is a tier lower and by a wide margin.

Which goes to show that Defense is not really being valued on this list. They want their one-dimensional players like Allen Iverson or Kevin Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After constantly being pummeled by the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons... the Celtics, the Sixers, the Knicks... Yeah, MJ was the beneficiary of phantom trips to the line, but he was also the recipient of many hard fouls. My primary argument was really in the context of the legality of hand-checking and how the lack of hand-checking in today's game makes today's players look like video game players in the 90s. IN OTHER WORDS, their games are made to look better. Imagine Ice Gervin playing in today's era - he would likely average over 35 PPG and make it look effortless.
    To be fair, they did call hand checking back then and flopping was a thing (Mahorn, Rodman, Magic, Jordan, Miller, Divac); also , players didn't get beheaded every time they went to the basket and they called a lot of soft ass fouls

Gervin?
    Since we are talking about super skinny scorers, KD would average 50 ppg in the 1980's, much better scorer and more complete than Gervin and he would hav a field day in the ISO era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, they did call hand checking back then and flopping was a thing (Mahorn, Rodman, Magic, Jordan, Miller, Divac); also , players didn't get beheaded every time they went to the basket and they called a lot of soft ass fouls

Gervin?
    Since we are talking about super skinny scorers, KD would average 50 ppg in the 1980's, much better scorer and more complete than Gervin and he would hav a field day in the ISO era
    Only skill that Durant has over Gervin is his deep ball... but that's because chucking threes was not encouraged in the 80's... It's clear to me that you never actually watched Gervin play. Also, hand-checking WAS allowed in the 80's but it's NOT ALLOWED in today's game - that makes perimeter players look better than they actually are (compared against their 80's peers).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only skill that Durant has over Gervin is his deep ball... but that's because chucking threes was not encouraged in the 80's... It's clear to me that you never actually watched Gervin play. Also, hand-checking WAS allowed in the 80's but it's NOT ALLOWED in today's game - that makes perimeter players look better than they actually are (compared against their 80's peers).
    KD has better midrange , finishing , is a much better ball handler and passer, and while he's not known for his defense he is much better in that area than Gervin

But sure, he is better at only deep balls

Dude remove the nostalgia glasses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD has better midrange , finishing , is a much better ball handler and passer, and while he's not known for his defense he is much better in that area than Gervin

But sure, he is better at only deep balls

Dude remove the nostalgia glasses
    I never suggested that George Gervin was ever known for his defense. But Gervin was one of the kings of mid-range. It's debatable whether or not Durant was better in this area. But for Durant to be ranked as better than Hakeem or even better than Barkley or Malone (as much as I despise the latter) is not representative of their value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll agree with you if you like all my posts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My rough one would be :

3. Lebron (Not a big fan as his as he needed stacked, stacked teams to win rings. He was also terrible in clutch situations for more than the first half of his career. I'd personally like to rank him lower)
    4. Magic (He made the finals most of the time he played. I want to say it's because he played on stacked teams, but when I really think about it, there is other players that have been on stacked teams and never even made the finals once, so I'd say Magic was doing something right)
    5. TD (TD I could put in the 3-5 range, but I am trying not to be too biased. If his knee and athleticism held up better and he had more of a prime like Hakeem did athletically/physically, I'd say he would have made the top 3)
    6. Shaq (Very dominant when he was focused and locked in. Could have been as high as number 2 or even possibly number 1 if he took every game and season as seriously as Kobe did)
    7. Hakeem
    8. Wilt (Maybe he deserves to be higher, but I never saw him play so not sure of his compe ion or how high to rank him. His stats are too dominant to put him lower. Maybe he deserves to be top 5)
    9. Larry
    10. Kobe (personally, I like Kobe better than Lebron and Magic due to his killer at ude/instinct when the game was on the line, but I never saw Kobe get anywhere without a top 2 bigman in the NBA, so not sure how he would have done with a more balanced team and less dominant bigmen)
    You have a solid list. I wouldn't have been mad at you for putting TD at #3. I personally can't put Magic or LeBron ahead of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to too many holdovers from the top 50 who the voters didn't have the chutzpah to leave out (Bing, Debusschere, Cunningham, Arizin, Wilkens, Greer, Cowens, Archibald, Reed, Monroe, Maravich, Lucas, Thurmond), there were too many support players of dynasties getting in (Sharman, Rodman, Parish, Jones, Worthy), of course with the Spurs being the exception.

P. Gasol, Howard, McGrady, Ginobili, Parker should have been automatics, with Bellamy, Mutombo, Gilmore, Irving, English, Hill, Lanier, Moncrief, Mourning, King, Webber, Bosh, Carter, Dantley having varying arguments.

As far as rankings, they're easy click bait/discussion fodder, but if you want the most accurate, unbiased portrayal possible, tiers make far more sense.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-23-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Thread Information