Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely looks like a player that's on his way to sign.. And since he's not an NBA player yet, does this mean he can be signed today and the Spurs would announce it officially or does he have to wait till July 11th also?
    Interesting question that follows nicely with the discussion of which salary cap exception the Spurs will use to sign Nando.

Generally speaking, agreements can made during the July moratorium (July 1-10), but contracts may not be signed until July 11th. As with everything in the CBA, there are exceptions.

Among contracts that may be signed during the moratorium are one or two year minimum salary contracts.

So if we see a press release, or a press conference, today or tomorrow to announce that Nando has signed a contract (rather than reached an agreement to sign), then we'll know that he has signed for the minimum (473K).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting question that follows nicely with the discussion of which salary cap exception the Spurs will use to sign Nando.

Generally speaking, agreements can made during the July moratorium (July 1-10), but contracts may not be signed until July 11th. As with everything in the CBA, there are exceptions.

Among contracts that may be signed during the moratorium are one or two year minimum salary contracts.

So if we see a press release, or a press conference, today or tomorrow to announce that Nando has signed a contract (rather than reached an agreement to sign), then we'll know that he has signed for the minimum (473K).

Great find, thanks!

But do you think he may sign for the minimum? I wouldn't think he would sign for that little.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great find, thanks!

But do you think he may sign for the minimum? I wouldn't think he would sign for that little.
    I don't know, but we won't have to wait long to find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good find

That makes it even more likely that he's signing a minimum contract. He can come to S.A., get his physical and sign his deal. The Spurs can even hold a press conference if they want to.

If he's signing something other than the minimum, he can come get his physical but he can't sign a contract and the Spurs won't hold a press conference. I don't know the specifics of the FNT's schedule but if he's signing for something other than the minimum, wouldn't it make sense to come to S.A. next week? In that scenario, I'd think it'd be easier to just come on the 11th and make everything official.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it doesn't count our QO to Mills or the fact that Joseph is under contract. If we kept both, we might even get to amnesty Bonner on the grounds that we ran out of roster space.
    Sorry Bonner. It's just business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find

That makes it even more likely that he's signing a minimum contract. He can come to S.A., get his physical and sign his deal. The Spurs can even hold a press conference if they want to.

If he's signing something other than the minimum, he can come get his physical but he can't sign a contract and the Spurs won't hold a press conference. I don't know the specifics of the FNT's schedule but if he's signing for something other than the minimum, wouldn't it make sense to come to S.A. next week? In that scenario, I'd think it'd be easier to just come on the 11th and make everything official.
    FNT has friendly games the 7th, 10th, 12th, 13th and 15th. They have a little break after that.

It's in Spurs best interest to have De Colo passing his physical as early as possible. If there is something wrong with it, it will gives Spurs more time to go after someone else. De Colo surely wants too to sign as quickly as possible in case if he get injured with FNT.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought he'd sign for the minimum. The Spurs weren't about to waste an exception on a fringe prospect/non rotation player, not when they're presumably trying to sign two (technically, re-sign in the case of one) bigs, one of whom would start and the other of which would probably be a rotation player. Let's not forget, this is an organization that got a far better/more accomplished prospect, in an area of need, to sign for well under market value, so it shouldn't be surprising that they'd get De Colo at the minimum.

They've got the leverage in his case. If he wanted this to be about the money, they could easily allow him to stay in Europe or trade his rights; it's not like they're not deep at guard. They've got Green's rights, they still have Neal and there's at least a decent chance Mills returns. So it's not like De Colo is a necessity now and the odds of him ever becoming more than a fourth guard are probably unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that he's coming, but they don't need him. So if he wanted to come, he needed to take whatever they were willing to give him.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's too slow to get me exited about his potential in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess green is gone. Spurs add another tweener, guess we are trying to biuld the slowest and shortest team in the NBA
    Quit posting troll.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess green is gone. Spurs add another tweener, guess we are trying to biuld the slowest and shortest team in the NBA
    Slow and stocky wins the race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume you mean excited. But anyways. Really, speed isn't everything. Players like Stockton, Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond, Hershey Hawkins, etc etc. weren't as fast as guys like AI, Hardaway, TP etc. But what the former did have were great pull up jumpers and high basketball IQs, both of which De Colo does display.

He reminds me a little of Jeff Hornacek with his high basketball IQ, court vision, passing ability, ability to finish at the rim and his pullup jumper. Hornacek was 6'4" 190lbs and yet averaged over 20ppg and 5apg a couple of seasons when the NBA had better defenders at the SG position. He was prime example that elite speed and size aren't the only things that can make a player great.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...nando-de-colo/

This is a good assessment of De Colo. If you look at this highlights, his length makes up for his lack of ELITE SPEED (Not every freakin player in the NBA has it). And for his defense, no he isn't a bad defender. A guy that average's over 2 stl per game and 1 block Per 36 for 3 straight years isn't a bad defender. De Colo is going to be huge pickup for the Spurs. He and Manu are going to be a great duo in the backcourt off the bench. Two guys with high IQs, excellent ball handling skills, great court vision, excellent pull-up jumpers, 3pt shot and ability to finish at the rim.
    Everyone seems so set on speed because young, athletic teams like OKC beat teams with it and Pop favors a fast-paced showtime offense with TP at the helm.

The thing is that sometimes slow-it-down half-court sets are the best way to beat certain teams, like Denver or even OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the addition by subtraction of Patty Mills. While I would love the returning Mills as well as De Colo, hopefully this spells Neal from the PG handling. He should be what he is a spot up jump shooter/driving into the lane undersized two. Denmon should get a shot too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills isn't gone just yet. The Spurs haven extended the qualifying offer and may match certain contracts. His situation will greatly depend on how the rest of the offseason goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Faut bien avouer qu'ils ne font pas semblant... ;-)
    - Must admit they do not pretend ... ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...d=357290276862

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do not pretend what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was probably a translation mix up. I think the statement means "they don't mess around" as in "what a cool place".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if we'll hear anything today. If he's signed for the minimum, we might . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if we'll hear anything today. If he's signed for the minimum, we might . . .
    *fingers crossed*

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be nice. The silence is deafening right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, I'm ready to know exactly what we're dealing with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando is more of a luxury if he pans out. SG (assuming the spurs keep DG which is not a given) is pretty well taken care of. It would be news, but still extremely minor news with regards to team need and where their le hopes lie going into next year. The only thing I really care about is his contract bc that impacts the most pressing issue: the front line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando De Colo ‏@NandoDeColo

@ San Antonio Airport : San Antonio -> Paris ! Et retour avec l'EDF à Orléans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he plays PG then this is major news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Nando is back at the airport so we will hear nothing from Spurs about it. It's not that surprising since he likely can't sign his contract right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This site is reporting he passed his physical

http://www.vuelo23.com/2012/07/nando...medium=twitter

Thread Information