Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm, that provoked a thought that maybe they would be a second team backcourt combo. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here but, on offense De Colo would be the point but on defense, he would guard the opposing teams shooting guard while Marcus guards the point.

Would that work?
    Sure. It's been done before with players like Daniel Gibson and Jason Terry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't classify De Colo as unathletic. He's not James White! but he's not a Kapano/Korver/Neal/RMJ type non-athlete. He can move.

Now is he athletic enough to be a point guard at 6-foot-5 in the NBA? That's tough to say because he'd have to be a really good athlete to pull it off.
    James White!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If De Colo signs for the minimum, it means that he would have taken a major paycut compared to what he could have earned in Europe. My guess is that is salary per year will be around $1M-$1.5M.
    So what team would pay De Colo more than the minimum in Europe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what team would pay De Colo more than the minimum in Europe?
    Barcelona, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems to have good size but how physical is he? While Stern could very well change his mind again, this last years playoffs was hearkening back to the years where the postseason really was a different style of basketball with its physicality. I stopped looking for pushing fouls out on the perimeter after the first round. Can DeColo handle that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The absolute maximum they can put on the Table is a full MLE deal - approximately 5.1 Million $US + 8% yearly raises, for 4 years = ~23 Million $US.
    That, unlike Euro salaries is pre-taxes.

I'd expect something more like 10 or 11 Million $US/3 years. Which is the kind of money Splitter came over for.
    I would think something less, like 6/7 M, 2 years, could be sufficient.
    CSKA could match, but I don't think they will throw more money to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you rate the chances that he would sign for 2yr/4M? That's the amount of the BAE, which is the only tool the Spurs possess other than the MLE to offer a contract greater than the minimum.

Lorbek accepting the BAE, assuming you are right about Nando for the minimum, is the only way for the Spurs to sign both Diaw and Lorbek (I'm further assuming that there is no way that Diaw considers the BAE).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is he a back up PG for the Spurs or SG more than likely?
    Both. Despite the over the top analysis by many, I'd be surprised if the Spurs view him as anything more than the fifth guard for next season and possibly the following one, as well. If Mills is in fact brought back with the intention to make him the primary backup point (Neal would presumably be traded in this scenario), it's not out of the question that De Colo could leapfrog him or a player of similar caliber, though. But let's not forget, there's a long list of European combo guards in the past ten years who have flamed out in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barcelona, for example.
    Not sure. If that's the case, De Colo should stay in Spain and have a good year of Euroleague basketball. Even if I doubt he would start for barcelona.
    The guy totally lacks experience at a certain level.
    My infos are signalling De Colo is not even exploring the market at all in Europe.

I think a lot of people here -not you for sure- are unaware of how good the Spurs knowledge of the European market is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights. If you are right, 8-9 M, 3 years, would be a pretty good deal for both parties.
    I think that would leave SA enough MLE left over to get Boris Diaw as well (~11 Million, 4 years)...

PS. How much do you hear about Kirilenko leaving CKSA? It's been mentioned in the press a few times, but I can't see it happening without Kirilenko giving up a fair bit of Money (he's on 3M Euro post taxes). Discussion is here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6006897

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure. If that's the case, De Colo should stay in Spain and have a good year of Euroleague basketball. Even if I doubt he would start for barcelona.
    The guy totally lacks experience at a certain level.
    My infos are signalling De Colo is not even exploring the market at all in Europe.

I think a lot of people here -not you for sure- are unaware of how good the Spurs knowledge of the European market is.
    It's not surprising that De Colo isn't exploring the European market at all. His agent said weeks ago that his priority was to sign with Spurs and that Spurs wanted him too.

I quite disagree with you on De Colo lacking high level experience. It's sure that he has only played one year the Euroleague but the Spanish league is at a high level too. For example, this year, he has played 14 games in Spain against teams that were playing the Euroleague too. He has too played a big role in some key games for France at the 2011 Eurobasket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the Olympics we will get a good benchmark of him when France plays either Argentina, Brazil, Spain, and/or USA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you rate the chances that he would sign for 2yr/4M? That's the amount of the BAE, which is the only tool the Spurs possess other than the MLE to offer a contract greater than the minimum.

Lorbek accepting the BAE, assuming you are right about Nando for the minimum, is the only way for the Spurs to sign both Diaw and Lorbek (I'm further assuming that there is no way that Diaw considers the BAE).
    To me, a short, 2 years contract for Lorbek would be better than a longer one.
    OK, injuries and all, but all considered, at 28, if he plays well, he'll soon be in a position to negotiate a much bigger, Scola-like deal.

However, 1,6M Euros per year might be on the low side: CSKA has an NBA-like budget, they were able to lure Kirilenko and Krstic away from the NBA and Teodosic from Greece (and from the NBA, although Teodosic might follow the Bodiroga pathway at that).
    I think they can throw 2.5 M Euros at him.
    On top there is a lot of respect between Lorbek and Messina: essentially the first thing after Messina was back to Moscow was that he made an offer to Lorbek.
    That' why I wrote the Lorbek situation is more complex that what it seems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, a short, 2 years contract for Lorbek would be better than a longer one.
    OK, injuries and all, but all considered, at 28, if he plays well, he'll soon be in a position to negotiate a much bigger, Scola-like deal.

However, 1,6M Euros per year might be on the low side: CSKA has an NBA-like budget, they were able to lure Kirilenko and Krstic away from the NBA and Teodosic from Greece (and from the NBA, although Teodosic might follow the Bodiroga pathway at that).
    I think they can throw 2.5 M Euros at him.
    On top there is a lot of respect between Lorbek and Messina: essentially the first thing after Messina was back to Moscow was that he made an offer to Lorbek.
    That' why I wrote the Lorbek situation is more complex that what it seems.
    Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy sh#t spurs stacked at guard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights.
    I think a two-year contract would be okay for the Spurs. They'd have Early Bird rights and would be covered by the Gilbert Arenas Rule in case another team tried to steal him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a two-year contract would be okay for the Spurs. They'd have Early Bird rights and would be covered by the Gilbert Arenas Rule in case another team tried to steal him.
    Then there's the suggestion Bruno made a while back to make the BAE more palatable by including a player option for the second year. Lorbek could be in next summer's FA market and the Spurs would still be covered by the Arenas rule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not surprising that De Colo isn't exploring the European market at all. His agent said weeks ago that his priority was to sign with Spurs and that Spurs wanted him too.

I quite disagree with you on De Colo lacking high level experience. It's sure that he has only played one year the Euroleague but the Spanish league is at a high level too. For example, this year, he has played 14 games in Spain against teams that were playing the Euroleague too. He has too played a big role in some key games for France at the 2011 Eurobasket.
    Exactly. That gives the Spurs a pretty good position to negotiate. Basically the guy wants to cross the ocean and that's it. Give him the minimum and he'll play.

As for the second point, I do agree that the Spanish league is tough with a lot of good games, yet he has yet to play for the favourite team anywhere. The perspective, in my experience, changes completely when you are on a team that HAS to win. He was simply never in that position including with the French national team.
    Spurs are going to be like that. Very very different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights. If you are right, 8-9 M, 3 years, would be a pretty good deal for both parties.
    I think that would leave SA enough MLE left over to get Boris Diaw as well (~11 Million, 4 years)...

PS. How much do you hear about Kirilenko leaving CKSA? It's been mentioned in the press a few times, but I can't see it happening without Kirilenko giving up a fair bit of Money (he's on 3M Euro post taxes). Discussion is here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6006897
    Personally, I think Kirilenko would LOOK great with the Spurs, but, for whatever reason, the guy just never gets it done.
    Including this year Euroleague. They looked unbeatable and then they lost.
    I'd go for Lorbek, still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AK offers more upside IMO and is way more proven (in the NBA). If it's a legit shot for AK or Lorbek that is an easy decision to me - you go AK. He is about as versatile as Boris (can hanlde the ball and is a great passer), but is a much better all around defender too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then there's the suggestion Bruno made a while back to make the BAE more palatable by including a player option for the second year. Lorbek could be in next summer's FA market and the Spurs would still be covered by the Arenas rule.
    That would be even better, actually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they report anything? They cater to the average Spurs fan, not to spurstalk fanatics.

If you told the average Spurs fan that "Nando de Colo" was in San Antonio for a physical, the replies you would get would be:

• Como que "Nando De Colo"?
    • Who (or what) the is that?
    • Why should I give a ?
    Yep, I asked my GF, who is your typical fair-weather Spurs fan. Twice I said to her, "Nando De Colo is in San Antonio for a physical." Both times, she busted out laughing before I could finish saying De Colo's last name.

Now that I think about it, if he signs, Steven A. Smith will have yet another name to make fun of:

• Ti-a-go SSSplitter
    • Patty
    • and now, "Nando De Colo"

He'll have a field day with that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. That gives the Spurs a pretty good position to negotiate. Basically the guy wants to cross the ocean and that's it. Give him the minimum and he'll play.
    Well, it's possible that most of the negotiations have been made in May/June.

De Colo isn't too without a backup plan. If he doesn't sign with Spurs, his wish is to play the Euroleague with a Spanish team. That's another reason why you don't hear about him on the European market transfer: his agent is just staying in touch with a couple of Spanish teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AK offers more upside IMO and is way more proven (in the NBA). If it's a legit shot for AK or Lorbek that is an easy decision to me - you go AK. He is about as versatile as Boris (can hanlde the ball and is a great passer), but is a much better all around defender too.
    In theory.
    To me Kirilenko is in theory better.
    The whole basketball career of Kirilenko has been a long theory.

Thread Information