Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And McDonald and Monroe with no news again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker and De Colo played alot together at the same time while playing with France at PG and SG and were very effective.

De Colo is a poor man's Manu Ginobli, that is the way I would describe him. He has a very good pull up jumper, can hit the open 3 ball, has really good ball handles, is a creative passer. Manu is quicker than De Colo but De Colo is pretty quick in his own right.

De Colo can guard at the NBA level as well. He has like a 6'7"+ wingspan with his 6'5" frame, which helps him stay in front of quicker guards in the Spanish league like Navarro and Llull.
    I can't think of a more improbable comparison than De Colo-Ginobili.
    When he went to the Spurs Ginobili was far and away the best player in Europe, in fact, Euroleague MVP, and a legend already.
    De Colo didn't even play Euroleague basketball.

De Colo reminds a bit of a very very poor man Vinnie Del Negro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No go on both.

Exceptions can be split to sign more than one player, but you can't combine parts of different exceptions in a single contract.

Extremely unlikely that De Colo signs for the minimum or that we can get either Diaw or Lorbek for the BAE.

Best case scenario is that they fit both De Colo and Diaw into the MLE and retain the BAE to go after a project big on the open market.
    Either it's the minimum or he should get back to Europe where he would get far less than the minimum.
    I don't know whether he will be good, but sure enough he is going to be cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either it's the minimum or he should get back to Europe where he would get far less than the minimum.
    I hope you're right. It would give the Spurs much more flexibility.

btw- minimum 1st year salary for a second round draft pick is around 500K. Do you really think he would get far less than that if he stayed in Europe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He almost reminds me of a craftier/smaller Mike Dunleavy. I still don't know his position in the NBA but I have to believe he will serve very much the same role as Neal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they report anything? They cater to the average Spurs fan, not to spurstalk fanatics.

If you told the average Spurs fan that "Nando de Colo" was in San Antonio for a physical, the replies you would get would be:

• Como que "Nando De Colo"?
    • Who (or what) the is that?
    • Why should I give a ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're right. It would give the Spurs much more flexibility.

btw- minimum 1st year salary for a second round draft pick is around 500K. Do you really think he would get far less than that if he stayed in Europe?
    I'd be very surprised if De Colo could sign for more than 0.3 M in Europe.
    The guy is essentailly Euroleague untested and budgets are tight these days, except for Russian and Turkish teams. Which are largely covered at PG.

My information is that De Colo will sign for the Spurs for whatever they propose.

From the Spurs point of view, it's some sort of insurance for whatever happens with Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't keep up with the Euro-league but I was under the impression that they played fewer games than the 82 game NBA regular season. Might he make more money per game over there?

Not that I want him to stay over there.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can give versatility, then I think this is a good prospect. If he's tall for a PG but can't cover anyone from lack of athleticism, then I'm curious if our recent draft pick might be just as good of an option even if he is shorter. Obviously, only time will tell.

From the comments above, it sounds like De Colo won't be in Summer League and would get a guaranteed contract...which with CoJo, Neal, possibly Mills hanging around, this doesn't give a lot of room for the new draft pick to get on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't keep up with the Euro-league but I was under the impression that they played fewer games than the 82 game NBA regular season. Might he make more money per game over there?

Not that I want him to stay over there.
    You end up playing some 50/60 games on a good team that reaches EL Top 16 and PO in the national tournments.
    Honestly, I think De Colo would benefit from playing one year on a good EL team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be very surprised if De Colo could sign for more than 0.3 M in Europe.
    The guy is essentailly Euroleague untested and budgets are tight these days, except for Russian and Turkish teams. Which are largely covered at PG.

My information is that De Colo will sign for the Spurs for whatever they propose.

From the Spurs point of view, it's some sort of insurance for whatever happens with Mills.
    That would be awesome for the Spurs.

You called Splitter's deal when most of us thought he would get much more.

Hope you're right again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't classify De Colo as unathletic. He's not James White! but he's not a Kapano/Korver/Neal/RMJ type non-athlete. He can move.

Now is he athletic enough to be a point guard at 6-foot-5 in the NBA? That's tough to say because he'd have to be a really good athlete to pull it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hope you're right again.
    Good memory.

There were rumors here that Bo McCalebb was in talk with the Spurs.
    Actually, he would have been my choice, and perfect for the Spurs system.
    His coach then signed for Fenherbace and quickly called him up. He will sign in Turkey and I doubt for less than 2 M.
    No way Spurs would match.

Hence De Colo.

I am also curious about the outcome of the Lorbek signing, bacause he did have an offer from CSKA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nando de colo could be next ricky rubio

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hope you're right again.
    That's what gives me hope - even in the midst of bigs getting bad deals when Tiago came over, Spurs still came away with a great deal (even if he showed nothing - a player of his caliber usually gets more).

If De Colo is signed for a minimum contract, that would be another great value and it would really help (potentially because we don't know if the Bae will really help the Spurs land anyone they need/want) the Spurs to maximize their chances in FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has already failed if that is your expectation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeap, both have family names ending in o.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I will change my prediction:

De Colo = minimum
    BAE = Diaw or Lorbek
    MLE = partial to Diaw or Lorbek (whichever we can't get with the BAE)

We'll take Lorbek over Diaw, if it comes to that, to improve the team.

Is Diaw restricted, by the way? It would be nice to let the market confirm/deny his value, which is WAAAY below $9 million these days, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=DPG21920;6006872]He has already failed if that is your expectation [/QUOTE

god said to have faith

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what would the Spurs be able to offer to LorbeK?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't classify De Colo as unathletic. He's not James White! but he's not a Kapano/Korver/Neal/RMJ type non-athlete. He can move.

Now is he athletic enough to be a point guard at 6-foot-5 in the NBA? That's tough to say because he'd have to be a really good athlete to pull it off.
    I guess after what we all saw from the failed Gary Neal experiment, almost anything else would be an upgrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can give versatility, then I think this is a good prospect. If he's tall for a PG but can't cover anyone from lack of athleticism, then I'm curious if our recent draft pick might be just as good of an option even if he is shorter. Obviously, only time will tell.

From the comments above, it sounds like De Colo won't be in Summer League and would get a guaranteed contract...which with CoJo, Neal, possibly Mills hanging around, this doesn't give a lot of room for the new draft pick to get on the team.
    Hmmm, that provoked a thought that maybe they would be a second team backcourt combo. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here but, on offense De Colo would be the point but on defense, he would guard the opposing teams shooting guard while Marcus guards the point.

Would that work?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what would the Spurs be able to offer to LorbeK?
    The absolute maximum they can put on the Table is a full MLE deal - approximately 5.1 Million $US + 8% yearly raises, for 4 years = ~23 Million $US.
    That, unlike Euro salaries is pre-taxes.

I'd expect something more like 10 or 11 Million $US/3 years. Which is the kind of money Splitter came over for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If De Colo signs for the minimum, it means that he would have taken a major paycut compared to what he could have earned in Europe. My guess is that is salary per year will be around $1M-$1.5M.

Thread Information