Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything I've read about this guy says that he's soft as , I've never really seen him play though so I'm gonna have to take their word for it. The Spurs don't need a guy like that, they just got rid of one.

What really separates him from RJ? The fact that he's listed as a PF and RJ a SF? We saw RJ constantly get raped whenever he played PF, it seems like with Diaw it'd be the same thing. They're practically the same size, same height and weight, RJ is more muscular though.

Diaw even looks like less of a scoring threat than RJ but a much better passer.

Seems like a mistake if the Spurs sign him unless he turns into a solid defender, it'd be like getting RJ back, no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything I've read about this guy says that he's soft as , I've never really seen him play though so I'm gonna have to take their word for it. The Spurs don't need a guy like that, they just got rid of one.

What really separates him from RJ? The fact that he's listed as a PF and RJ a SF? We saw RJ constantly get raped whenever he played PF, it seems like with Diaw it'd be the same thing. They're practically the same size, same height and weight, RJ is more muscular though.

Diaw even looks like less of a scoring threat than RJ but a much better passer.

Seems like a mistake if the Spurs sign him unless he turns into a solid defender, it'd be like getting RJ back, no?
    I have a feeling Blair's defense would put Diaw's to shame. I agree, this is NOT the type of player needed. Turiaf otoh is the exact opposite of Diaw and IS the guy for the job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is more passive than soft. His post defense is surprisingly good and when he's in shape, his perimeter defense is really good (for a power forward).

The risk is that Pop hates hesitant shooters and Diaw is definitely a hesitant shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw >>> Turiaf tbh. Even if he is lazy. He has very high basketball IQ imo. If you can't get anyone better for the rest of the season he'd come handy. Signing Lorbek or Teletovic in the offseason long term should be Spurs priority for the 4 spot tho. Very good players that could be had for cheap...big upgrade over BonBon or Blair.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stange how nobody's figured the main reason why the Spurs should go after Boris... :
    Tony Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is more passive than soft. His post defense is surprisingly good and when he's in shape, his perimeter defense is really good (for a power forward).

The risk is that Pop hates hesitant shooters and Diaw is definitely a hesitant shooter.
    which supposedly is why he's fallen out with Coach Silas.

Besides the Spurs don't need any more shooters. They need a guy to do some real, physical dirty work on the inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say go for diaw, only because i don't see pop playing turiaf or splitter together with duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never saw him play? What about 2007 SF agains the Suns?
    I think he's a good offensive player, can shoot and tall. Can't tell about his defense, not sure if he's good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

You actually don't have to shoot in this offense, you just can't stand still and hold the ball. As long as you're willing to quickly swing the ball or take a couple of dribbles and penetrate and kick, Pop is fine. The ball just has to move continuously. I mean, come on, DeJuan/Tim/Kawhi come out to the top of the circle above the three point line, just to make a swing pass and dive back inside. Does anyone in the building think they're going to shoot that? They pop out to draw their man out and then swing a pass, nothing more.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never really seen him play though
    So... you've never seen him play, but he sucks?

He's not soft, first of all. Not sure where you've read that. However, as timvp noted, he can be a bit passive. He usually doesn't like to take shots, but he is a very good passer and is willing to do the extra pass, which should work well in Pop's system. He has good fundamentals in the post, and can play any of the 5 positions on the court. Obviously the Spurs will only play him as a 3 or 4 (probably 4), but he could just play anything if needed.

His main issue is self-motivation. But I think playing on a contender with a good friend will take care of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it won't.

Replacing Blair by Diaw in Spurs rotation would make them significantly better on both end of the court. Diaw is a good player and a good fit for Spurs. It's as simple as that. If Diaw is bought out, going hard after him is a no brainer for Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it won't.

Replacing Blair by Diaw in Spurs rotation would make them significantly better on both end of the court. Diaw is a good player and a good fit for Spurs. It's as simple as that. If Diaw is bought out, getting hard after him is a no brainer for Spurs.
    I'm getting hard thinking about him joining the Spurs too.

Oh you mean "going hard".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Yep, thanks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he guarded Parker well in the last game of that 08 series. that should explain a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it won't.

Replacing Blair by Diaw in Spurs rotation would make them significantly better on both end of the court. Diaw is a good player and a good fit for Spurs. It's as simple as that. If Diaw is bought out, going hard after him is a no brainer for Spurs.
    Bingo. Diaw is a very smart and capable player.

Blair is an absolute frustration.

Swapping one for the other makes us better in one movement - much like swapping RJ for Jax. Neither are lateral moves in the least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is the time frame of him being bought out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not a mistake to sign Diaw. Wouldn't be one signing Turiaf instead either. Neither guy is gonna get much playing time. Its not like they will be asked to do much. Maybe end of quarters/spot duty with an occasional match up possibility but that's it. Thinking that either one of these guys would start for us or makes us that much better is RIDICULOUS. People need to stop thinking that these guys are game changers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone remember Diaw in Phoenix? I guess none of you do. I thought he was a pretty darn good player for them when motivated. He's been in deep playoff runs as an integral piece so he knows what it's like to play under that pressure. He can be very helpful.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to remember Diaw signing a decent contract in Phoenix and then losing motivation...does anyone else recall how things shook out in Phoenix? Or did he pout after Amare came back from injury? Anyway, I do recall him only playing really well for about a year or two, but my memory on this is foggy so I'm curious what others remember.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is better than both Blair and Bonner so no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing Diaw if he gets waived is a no-brainer... just ask Bill Walton:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing Diaw if he gets waived is a no-brainer... just ask Bill Walton:

Wow!! That is one over the top endorsement!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is a talented, multi-skilled two way player who would be coming into a relatively supportive situation (thanks to TP and the Spurs international atmosphere) with likely low actual expectations.

It would be a win for the Spurs and for Diaw to help him get his career back on track.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cocaine's a uva drug.

Thread Information