Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors holding press conference to announce they think an $11 million cap hit is a perfectly fair price for the 30th pick in the draft.

http://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 30th pick in the draft probably is worth $2 million at most. And probably much less than that because of the new rule that limits the total spent on trades to $3 million a season instead of per trade.

Tbh, it'd probably be difficult to sell the 30th pick for $1 million

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All they had to do was lose out and they were guaranteed the 7th pick at worst, thanks to New Jersey and Toronto playing on the final day of the season. Instead they won on Sunday, and will now probably be locked into the #8 pick, which is then property of Utah (pick is protected only up to 7 ).

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there works out to be any prayer that the Warriors can keep that pick, and if the playoff seedings are set tonight, is the Spurs/Warriors game the least competetive game in TNT history?

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there works out to be any prayer that the Warriors can keep that pick, and if the playoff seedings are set tonight, is the Spurs/Warriors game the least competetive game in TNT history?
    A different type of compe ion, I suppose.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someday a last game of the season will involve the two trade partner teams with the protected pick in the balance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were Utah I'd tank.

Come back with two good lottery picks, and a decent team would make them stout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am actually thankful that the Warriors are this dumb.. where would we be if not for their generosity!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were Utah I'd tank.

Come back with two good lottery picks, and a decent team would make them stout.
    What's the point for the Jazz to tank? Right now if they don't get into playoffs, they get like 14th pick; if in, they get like 16th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair the warriors wanted bogut and had to take jax with him who they really didn't want to keep. Getting RJ for him isn't the worst move for them.

Not tanking more games has been a terrible decision though

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I don't think it was a terrible deal for the Warriors. SJax probably would only have been happy in one place, SA. Not sure any other team had that leverage. RJ will put up average numbers for them over the next 2 years, but should help in the locker room as that team tries to change its culture.

The 29th or 30th pic was just bad luck for them. Hey maybe we can flip Blair for it back, lol.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Warriors are tanking as hard as they can, but will still win games. It's a case of a career concerns problem where the Players want to work harder than the management want them to. Players will play hard, as their future contracts depend on performance, and management can't change how players will be paid in future periods. They're doing the best they can, but Charles Jenkins, Brandon Rush et al will still play hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if I liked the trade, I wasn't trilled with Spurs giving up the pick but, is will at worst the 28th, so it's finally not a problem at all.

The jack trade was definitively a bad trade for GSW but they were cornered with a player they didn't want. Spurs took advantage of that and got a damn great deal.

As baseline bum said, the worst about Warriors is that they didn't tank to be sure of keeping their pick. Tanking is a crappy move but that's what most of the teams should do if they want to be a contender down the road.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Concerning the Warriors own pick, which is protected up to 7th:

Right now, they have the 8th worst record with 23 wins. Toronto and New Jersey have 22, and play each other tomorrow, so one team obviously loses one more game.

Golden State owns the Tank-Breaker (usually one would say "loses the tie-breaker") against both of them! So, if they are beaten by the Spurs, they secure the 7th worst record in the league, and have good chances in the lottery, to keep their 7th pick...

Or am I missing something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Golden State owns the Tank-Breaker (usually one would say "loses the tie-breaker") against both of them!
    There is no tie-breakers regarding the draft. Ties are broken with a coin flip. And even if they "win" the coin flip, there is a 25% chance of getting a pick between #8 and #10 with the 7th worst record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft order for equal records is determined by a coin flip I think. If GS wins the coin flip and anyone 8-14 sneaks into the top 3 and the Warriors don't, they move to #8 and the pick goes to Utah. All they had to do was lose Sunday and they would have been guaranteed #7 unless 8-14 moved into the top 3. They might have cost themselves a damn good SF prospect like Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones III, Terrence Jones, Quincy Miller, or John Henson who could have looked really nice next to Curry, Thomspon, and Bogut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I don't think it was a terrible deal for the Warriors. SJax probably would only have been happy in one place, SA. Not sure any other team had that leverage. RJ will put up average numbers for them over the next 2 years, but should help in the locker room as that team tries to change its culture.

The 29th or 30th pic was just bad luck for them. Hey maybe we can flip Blair for it back, lol.
    It was a horrible trade to be saddled with Jefferson's contract for 2 more seasons after this. They would have been way better off just buying Jack out after the trade and only taking the hit for one extra year instead. Jefferson has been every bit the complete scrub there that he was here; he is done and the Spurs raped Golden State to drop that dead wood. And thankfully we can put to rest that ridiculous hypothesis that it was just Pop holding him back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a horrible trade to be saddled with Jefferson's contract for 2 more seasons after this. They would have been way better off just buying Jack out after the trade and only taking the hit for one extra year instead. Jefferson has been every bit the complete scrub there that he was here; he is done and the Spurs raped Golden State to drop that dead wood. And thankfully we can put to rest that ridiculous hypothesis that it was just Pop holding him back.
    He might play better when Steph Curry comes back. He really needs to get spoon-fed by a pass first point guard.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, didn`t know about the coin flip thing. Thanks Bruno and baseline bum! Then it`s really dumb, they won at Minny...

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I mentioned before, even though this trade looks bad on paper, there's just no way to look at the value of a trade before everything has played out. They could land (by pure luck) a great player with the 28th pick. They could trade RJ's expiring for a great trade down the road, just because it's one year later's than SJax's expiring.

And they didn't pay $11 million for a 28th pick. They received an expiring contract worth $11 million and a 28th pick. They might not be the ones who end up paying RJ's $11 million that year.

Although it doesn't look like it, they still have the opportunity to come out on top.

My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    What's the point for the Jazz to tank? Right now if they don't get into playoffs, they get like 14th pick; if in, they get like 16th pick.
    Since we made the playoffs, we owe our 2012 1st round pick to Minnesota. Our pick was top 14 protected this year. That's why a lot of Jazz fans didn't want our team to make the playoffs. Now if we lose out on a coin flip for the Warriors pick, we have no first round picks this year.

Our best hope of getting the Warriors pick belongs in the Spurs hands. Spurs gotta lose to GS and we get the pick, unless the Warriors get lucky and land a top 3 pick in the lottery.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    As I mentioned before, even though this trade looks bad on paper, there's just no way to look at the value of a trade before everything has played out. They could land (by pure luck) a great player with the 28th pick. They could trade RJ's expiring for a great trade down the road, just because it's one year later's than SJax's expiring.

And they didn't pay $11 million for a 28th pick. They received an expiring contract worth $11 million and a 28th pick. They might not be the ones who end up paying RJ's $11 million that year.

Although it doesn't look like it, they still have the opportunity to come out on top.
    The RJ contract is NOT an expiring contract, it has TWO years to run after this one. We swapped contracts that were monetarily equal for this year, gave them a first rounder, and they ate an $11M contract year for Jefferson in 2013-2014. Since the RJ/Jack contracts were equal for this year and next, and we flipped them the pick and they ate the extra year on RJs contract at $11M, that pick cost them $11M.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Since we made the playoffs, we owe our 2012 1st round pick to Minnesota. Our pick was top 14 protected this year. That's why a lot of Jazz fans didn't want our team to make the playoffs. Now if we lose out on a coin flip for the Warriors pick, we have no first round picks this year.

Our best hope of getting the Warriors pick belongs in the Spurs hands. Spurs gotta lose to GS and we get the pick, unless the Warriors get lucky and land a top 3 pick in the lottery.
    Have you seen the lineup GS is running out there lately? SA minus the big three should beat them by 10-15. Their current lineup might actually lose to Charlotte.

Thread Information