Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im just so glad, and were so fortunate Horry got the oppurtunity to share some of his magic with us. If I was a fan of another team and I saw that game, I would have hated to see the other team lose.I would say both teams deserved to win, but Rob wanted it a little more......and we are 1 win away!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons > Spurs, I appreciate your show of class!
    Ditto

Ohhhh MommmMA !! LilMissSPURfect's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they flying on JUMBOJET BOB 333!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Brown took the other minutes Beno would have had in the 1st half. Devin was actually bringing the ball up the court and entering the offense a couple of trips.

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah... exactly... i think beno has done about as well as you can expect for a rookie. he's not the reason you lose a game... it sure helps to have options.

Appoggiatura
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This place is blowing, awesome job by Kori and Timvp

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The news said early in the morning. I would go now! Say hi to Big Bob for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media, which means SAS's vote will change 3 or 4 times.

So Let Me Have My Sanity... Sonia_TX's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we win the Championship...hopefully nobody will be online right away. We have to go downtown and partay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt see anyone else post this, but if they already did, I am sorry, you can just ignore me.

I think Pops adjustment at the end of the game was great. Puttin Bowen on Chancey was a GREAT GREAT move. B-B-B-Billups was used to being gaurded by Tony, Beno, and a lil bit of Manu for 4 3/4 games in this series. Then he had to go up against the best perimiter defender in the league. Great move!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt see anyone else post this, but if they already did, I am sorry, you can just ignore me.

I think Pops adjustment at the end of the game was great. Puttin Bowen on Chancey was a GREAT GREAT move. B-B-B-Billups was used to being gaurded by Tony, Beno, and a lil bit of Manu for 4 3/4 games in this series. Then he had to go up against the best perimiter defender in the league. Great move!!
    It changed the game. It was an absolute must defensive adjustment.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I'm glad you posted this. And you are sooooo right. I was watching Billups just dribbling in front of Bowen, and was like, oh man, what a great move. Give it up to Pops for a great in game adjustment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome, awesome game...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 1 & 2 I would have said Manu without question. Although he's still getting things done, Horry was the difference in this crucial game. I dunno. Let's see who shines in game 6. This has been such a great all-around team effort I don't think there's a clear choice yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The adjustment also created what appeared to be a size mis-match of Rip defended by Tony. It ended up causing the ball to go to where the advantage appeared to be rather than in "Mr. Clutch's" hands. It worked on two fronts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You knew that play was coming from a mile away.

Mr Clutch comes thru again!

Ohhhh MommmMA !! LilMissSPURfect's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i see MANU having a avu game 6! possibly MVP!

BUT we wouldn't be here without TIMAAAAAAY!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 6, 1988 when Isiah went crazier than anyone I've ever seen in NBA History. Shame they lost that. Even though I was a huge Magic fan I wanted Detroit to take that game so badly.
    I have that game on tape.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    nice, very nice. Congrats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs win it all....this place will be crazy! and a lot of fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

June 19, 2005

San Antonio 96, Detroit 95, OT

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Robert Horry was all set to cut through the lane after inbounding the ball with 9.6 seconds left when a strange thing happened -- extremely strange, actually, considering his postseason history.

Rasheed Wallace suddenly went to double-team Manu Ginobili in the corner, leaving no one within 15 feet of one of the best clutch shooters in NBA postseason history.

Bad idea. Very bad.

``I saw Rasheed bite and said: 'Oh, let me stay out here,''' Horry said after he knocked down a wide-open 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds remaining in overtime Sunday night to give San Antonio a 96-95 victory over Detroit in Game 5 of the NBA Finals.

Horry, the veteran dubbed ``Big Shot Bob'' whose clutch postseason 3-pointers have defined his career, gave the Spurs a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series. San Antonio bounced back from a pair of lopsided losses to defeat the defending champs in their own building and send the series back to Texas needing just one more victory for a third le in seven years.

``The play was for me to take that shot, but then I saw Rasheed coming,'' Ginobili said ``My first option in those moments was Robert. He's a winner. He's been in that situation so many times. Everyone knows what he does.''

The Pistons had one final chance after Horry's shot, but Richard Hamilton missed a runner from the lane and Bruce Bowen rebounded to end it.

After four blowouts, this was the type of game everyone had been waiting almost two weeks to see -- an intense, closely-fought nail-biter befitting of a championship series. The fourth quarter was close throughout, with clutch shots coming from Chauncey Billups and Hamilton for the Pistons, and Horry and Ginobili of San Antonio.

The player who wasn't hitting the big ones was two-time NBA Finals MVP Tim Duncan, who missed six straight foul shots and a putback at the end of the fourth quarter that would have won it for the Spurs.

``An absolute nightmare, yes,'' Duncan said. ``(Horry) pulled me out of an incredible hole that I put myself in.''

Game 6 will be Tuesday night, and Game 7, if necessary, on Thursday.

The Pistons haven't won in San Antonio since 1997, and the Spurs had the NBA's best regular-season home record.

Horry finished with 21 points, Duncan had 26 points and 19 rebounds, Ginobili scored 15 and Tony Parker 14. Billups led Detroit with 34 points.

``It was the kind of game where you hate to see anybody lose,'' Pistons coach Larry Brown said.

Of the prior 23 times a finals series has been tied 2-2, the Game 5 winner has gone on to win the le 17 times. The most recent time it has happened was 2003, when San Antonio defeated New Jersey. A game 5 loser won following a 2-2 tie most recently in 1994, when the Houston Rockets defeated the New York Knicks in Games 6 and 7.

Duncan also missed San Antonio's first two shots of overtime and lost control of an entry pass with 56 seconds left in the extra period with Detroit ahead 95-93.

An offensive rebound gave Detroit two possessions while running down the final minute of overtime, but Billups missed on a drive with 9.4 seconds remaining. After a timeout, Horry knocked down the 3 that won it.

``You can't go back and say shoulda, woulda, coulda. It was caught in the corner and I just tried to double. Now we have a day and a half. We're cool,'' Wallace said.

The late 3 wasn't the only big shot by Horry, whose offensive poise was a direct contrast to Duncan's troubles.

The Pistons were ahead 87-85 before Horry caught a pass and quickly launched a 3-pointer that dropped through with 1:17 left in regulation, giving him seven straight points for the Spurs. Duncan had a chance to extend the lead after Hamilton missed a jumper, but the career 69 percent foul shooter missed a pair from the line with 1 minute remaining.

Billups scored on another of his crafty drives to give Detroit an 89-88 lead, and the Pistons fouled Duncan when he got the ball down low on the next possession. With the crowd noise at its loudest of the series, Duncan missed the first foul shot -- making him 0-for-6 in the period -- but made the second.

San Antonio's best defender, forward Bruce Bowen, took over guarding Billups on the next possession, and there appeared to be contact as Billups drove the lane and missed. But no foul was called, and San Antonio got the ball back with 16.9 seconds left able to hold for the last shot of regulation.

Ginobili dribbled the clock down and drove on Tayshaun Prince, but missed. Duncan was there for the rebound, grabbed the ball with two hands and had a wide-open chance for an easy putback, but his shot somehow came up short. He walked off with his hands balled into fists covering his mouth.

Coach Gregg Popovich said he spent 90 percent of his preparation time focusing on the mental aspect of what his team needed to do, the other 10 percent on X's and O's. The Spurs were much more aggressive in terms of taking the ball to the basket -- the one things they had done best in the first two games -- and Ginobili was especially effective in the early going.

Billups had a pair of airballs early in the third quarter, one of which hit the supports behind the backboard, but he came back with a long jumper and a three-point play in transition for a personal 6-0 run that tied it at 61-all before Horry ended the quarter with a 3-pointer -- a preview of what was to come.

Notes

Officials Ron Garretson, Steve Javie and Mike Callahan worked Game 5. The Pistons are 0-5 in the playoffs with Garretson on the court. ... Recording star Kid Rock sang ``America the Beautiful'' a capella while wearing a vintage Rick Mahorn warmup jersey. He closed the song with a shout of ``Let's rock!'' before putting his black hat back on and giving a satisfied nod to the crowd, which ate it up.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A moment before impact...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to Sheed on giving the Spurs what they wanted with Horry inbounding the rock.

Thread Information