Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Where's your link to the WNBA funding clause of the collective bargaining agreement?
    So I guess you don't have a link.

As for the WNBA clause in the CBA, I never said there was one. I said there's a portion of NBA revenue league officials controlled.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I did agree that the WNBA would be better off scrapped. My point was that the WNBA isn't even on the radar as one of primary economic problems the NBA and its franchises are having right now. It's an afterthought. The WNBA isn't what's hurting the NBA financially. Whether it stays alive or they scrap it altogether, the NBA has the same economic problems. The WNBA is very low on the list of financial priorities the NBA needs to fix. That's the point.
    Is it a problem that's not on the radar and shouldn't be, or it is a problem that should be on the radar and is being ignored.

If you don't think the WNBA is a problem, why do you agree it should be scrapped?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I guess you don't have a link.
    I never said I had one. I said this is the kind of thing the board does.
    As for the WNBA clause in the CBA, I never said there was one. I said there's a portion of NBA revenue league officials controlled.
    They'd have to do it during CBA negotiations, and adding a clause prohibiting the league from spending money on the WNBA is something plenty of owners might casually support, but it's not something any owner would want to be the leader of. The only person who could kill the WNBA without taking a giant hit publicly would be Stern since he created the WNBA and obviously tried his hardest to keep it alive.
    So you just didn't know what you were talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a problem that's not on the radar and shouldn't be, or it is a problem that should be on the radar and is being ignored.

If you don't think the WNBA is a problem, why do you agree it should be scrapped?
    How big a problem do you think it is?

How much money do you think was spent to subsidize the WNBA last season?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    How big a problem do you think it is?

How much money do you think was spent to subsidize the WNBA last season?
    My guess is it's been an 8 figure amount as long as the WNBA has been around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I never said I had one. I said this is the kind of thing the board does.
    So you just didn't know what you were talking about.
    You see the part where I said add a clause? Ever think that means there currently isn't one, hence why I said "add" and not "alter"?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I never said I had one.
    Why'd you originally try to post one then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You see the part where I said add a clause? Ever think that means there currently isn't one, hence why I said "add" and not "alter"?
    Why wouldn't there be one? Or some other clause saying the commissioner can do that kind of thing?

That makes no sense according to your theory.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    What do you think the NBA spends every year to keep the WNBA alive? Also, why do you care so much about the WNBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How long they've been around anyways? Feels like forever for an experiment...

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't there be one?
    If there was one, why the would I have said add a clause?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think the NBA spends every year to keep the WNBA alive?
    Dunno. I was asking you.
    Also, why do you care so much about the WNBA?
    Who said I did?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Dunno. I was asking you.
    And I gave an answer. Curious what you think.

You're behaving like someone who does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was one, why the would I have said add a clause?
    Why wouldn't there be one giving him that power in the first place?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't there be one giving him that power in the first place?
    If he has the power to do whatever he wants with a certain % of the NBA's total revenue, there wouldn't need to be a clause specifically allowing him to fund the WNBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I gave an answer. Curious what you think.
    I'd say probably less than what you think.

You're behaving like someone who does.
    It's irrelevant to this conversation, but I only really have interest in the business side of things.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    It's irrelevant to this conversation, but I only really have interest in the business side of things.
    Same, it's not a boy/girl issue. If the NBA was the league being kept alive by the WNBA, I'd say shut the NBA down.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I wasn't aware the NBA had any health negatives they had to be socially conscious of. What a great comparison.
    The comparison involves having a social agenda. But you already knew that.

It's a problem that's not on a radar for good reason. It's extremely low on the list of priorities because no matter what happens with the WNBA, it doesn't have a major impact on the NBA's financial model. $12 million (the most the NBA has had to cover in a season) is nothing to a multi-billion dollar revenue generating ins ution. Like I said, it's a drop in the bucket. If the WNBA continued to exist, it doesn't hurt the NBA much at all. If it's scrapped, it doesn't fix any of the economic problems it faces right now at the heart of the CBA negotiations.

I think the WNBA should be scrapped because I don't care about it. I don't watch it. I don't follow it. So I don't care about it. We can all agree that it does not profit the NBA so since I also don't follow it, I don't care. But even if it were scrapped, it would not help fix any of the economic problems the NBA has. So it's a problem that's not on the radar and doesn't need to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same, it's not a boy/girl issue. If the NBA was the league being kept alive by the WNBA, I'd say shut the NBA down.
    I think the money spent is a drop in the bucket compared to the whole of player salaries.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I think the money spent is a drop in the bucket compared to the whole of player salaries.
    If that's true I'd ease up on my stance, but I still think the WNBA should go before the NBA starts contracting.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    The comparison involves having a social agenda. But you already knew that.

It's a problem that's not on a radar for good reason. It's extremely low on the list of priorities because no matter what happens with the WNBA, it doesn't have a major impact on the NBA's financial model. $12 million (the most the NBA has had to cover in a season) is nothing to a multi-billion dollar revenue generating ins ution. Like I said, it's a drop in the bucket. If the WNBA continued to exist, it doesn't hurt the NBA much at all. If it's scrapped, it doesn't fix any of the economic problems it faces right now at the heart of the CBA negotiations.

I think the WNBA should be scrapped because I don't care about it. I don't watch it. I don't follow it. So I don't care about it. We can all agree that it does not profit the NBA so since I also don't follow it, I don't care. But even if it were scrapped, it would not help fix any of the economic problems the NBA has. So it's a problem that's not on the radar and doesn't need to be.
    Not saying it's wrong, but could you post a link to the $12M figure, I'd be curious as to where one can find those numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where are BRHornet and sigz and all those s who jerk off to mediocre looking WNBA players at?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You finally learned about google. I'd like to introduce you to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNBA

Finance

So far the WNBA has not mirrored the monetary success of the NBA, though it targets profitability. While some teams do make a profit (and others break even), most of the teams in the WNBA lose money each season. Losses are subsidized by the NBA; in 2003, news surfaced that the NBA spent up to $12 million a year to help pay for the WNBA losses. In 2007, teams were estimated to be losing $1.5 million to $2 million a year.[12]

Dropping fuckin' loads! Nick Manning's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    The crafty jew + quid-pro-quo chumpdumper=masterpiece theatre

Thread Information