Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Auburn Tigers
    , you guys are jumping to all sorts of conclusions based on the little bit of information I gave.

here we go...

silverblk mystix
    I'm glad some people are paying attention to all these episodes of police brutality. Either it's getting worse and worse (as I suspect) or technology and the free flow of information is bringing more of it to light.

I realize cops are necessary, but they are one of the lowest forms of human beings on the planet, and, when coupled with our worsening judicial system, one of the most inept

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Auburn Tigers
    Just a suggestion, but have you ever tried to stay on the right side of the law?
    I have a clean record

It appears that you put yourself in situations and associate with people who cannot or will not comply with the law...yet you are sure that Cops are the source of your misfortune.
    Many years ago, yes I did. some were family, whom I would never avoid because they have a drug problem. I'd help them in any way I could(legally), unlike you who would run and hide and leave them to fend for themselves. A sad thing

Pretty obvious that if you never put yourself in these positions...you would have no stories of bad police behavior in your life.
    lol, that's bull . The only way I could avoid hearing bad things about cops would be to build a shack in the woods and bury my head in the dirt

Was it a cops fault that YOU were driving under the influence?
    I wasn't under the influence and it was an illegal ing stop. They had no reason to pull me over. I did 3 field sobriety tests. Alphabet backwards, the penlight test, and walk the line. I stumbled once while walking the line and that was the reason they arrested me. I was in the Army and it was a ing federal gate-guard pig who pulled me over outside the NCO club because he said my taillight was out (it was a brand new car bought with money I made in Iraq). My platoon sergeant and my section chief were behind me when it happened, and testified on my behalf. The guy fabricated things on the police report as well, all leading to the dismissal

You judge cops--yet your STEP-BROTHER smokes crack... o??? ding-ding???
    A nonviolent person smoking crack is a problem for you, but not the cop (who was later fired) who has a direct responsibility to the public? Your ing priorities are wayyyy out of whack

Is your step brother really good or innocent because he smoked with a dirty cop drug-user?
    No, not under the current ed up legal system. If drugs were decriminalized, then yes, he is. The cop would still have to venture out and conduct his job, affecting the lives of others, unlike my SB

If my step-brother told me he smoked crack...with anyone-let alone with a cop...I would dis-associate myself from my step-brother so fast it would make his head spin...but that is a choice....you obviously only see the cop smoking crack --part of that equation...
    see above

I only pointed out that bad cops are no worse than bad people in any other profession...I never defended any bad/dirty cops...so you can spin it any way you want...I was hoping for honest dialogue to try and understand these cops are the worst...blah...blah...comments that keep coming out here...
    And I pointed out how the others you brought up, with the exception of priests, are not as bad and why. You're just too stupid to get it. Your entire perception is that people are guilty until proven innocent.

ohhh, uh, well, if you associate with bad people then you're guilty too...blah blah blah

I'm really glad you live a fairy-tale life where everything goes well, authority figures are always right, and everything is black and white. It's not, and never will be.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Auburn Tigers
    Are you serious? Any time (save one) that I have been pulled over it has been because I have done something wrong. The one time that I wasn't was thrown out of court. That cop was an asshole. Absolutely.

I have watched with my own eyes a cop in full uniform do a rail of ice off of his kitchen table through his window. He was a bad cop.

However none of this matters when it comes to me. A cop can be dirty as and bust me for doing something wrong and doesn't take away from the fact that I was doing something wrong. Just because they are being hypocritical doesn't allow me to be hypocritical (in my mind anyway). You know what? When I quit blaming bad luck for any of my problems was the exact moment that I didn't have any more of those types of problems. Personal responsibility, some people see it as a curse, I see it as a blessing.
    refer to my clean record statement. I haven't even had a traffic ticket since I was 20. I follow the law, re ed though it may be in many cases. I am specifically stating instances where I have witnessed or experienced the misuse of police power. Not to mention the innumerable articles and video that i've seen over the years. There is a worsening pattern, here. Yet, you jump to conclusions and start patronizing me. Speaks volumes

If we all just worry about ourselves without looking out for other people who are experiencing injustice, then we might as well all just give up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The way I've seen cops treat college students like the last 3 years, pulling us over for petty speeding tickets while ignoring us when we're victims of crimes.
    Were you speeding?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Some of you (Symple) are generalizing from cherry picked videos you obviously searched for (confirmation bias), someone sent you who knows you hate cops (more confirmation bias) or some obscure, isolated incident.

I am not real fond of cops either, that's why I take matters into my own hands where my personal safety is concerned, and I don't speed. I don't feel like funding an organization of people who wanted to be in control of other people so bad that they actually paid for their own police academy training, and one that I don't agree with most of the time. It's one thing to become a cop because a cop is needed, but quite another to become one because you are a midget warlock on a power trip.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Some cops are assholes, some aren't. More often than not though, people in a position of power/authority tend to take advantage of it, absolutely. Most of them, even.

silverblk mystix
    Some cops are assholes, some aren't. More often than not though, people in a position of power/authority tend to take advantage of it, absolutely. Most of them, even.
    Agree on this...and that was mostly my point...there are so many people in positions of (perceived) power who abuse it and hurt/harm others...

My main point was that cops are no better or worse than other professions...

What does it mean? TheInternets's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    Agree on this...and that was mostly my point...there are so many people in positions of (perceived) power who abuse it and hurt/harm others...

Other professions don't have nearly the ability to take any or all of a person's civil liberties away on a whim.

silverblk mystix
    I have a clean record

Many years ago, yes I did. some were family, whom I would never avoid because they have a drug problem. I'd help them in any way I could(legally), unlike you who would run and hide and leave them to fend for themselves. A sad thing

lol, that's bull . The only way I could avoid hearing bad things about cops would be to build a shack in the woods and bury my head in the dirt

I wasn't under the influence and it was an illegal ing stop. They had no reason to pull me over. I did 3 field sobriety tests. Alphabet backwards, the penlight test, and walk the line. I stumbled once while walking the line and that was the reason they arrested me. I was in the Army and it was a ing federal gate-guard pig who pulled me over outside the NCO club because he said my taillight was out (it was a brand new car bought with money I made in Iraq). My platoon sergeant and my section chief were behind me when it happened, and testified on my behalf. The guy fabricated things on the police report as well, all leading to the dismissal

A nonviolent person smoking crack is a problem for you, but not the cop (who was later fired) who has a direct responsibility to the public? Your ing priorities are wayyyy out of whack

No, not under the current ed up legal system. If drugs were decriminalized, then yes, he is. The cop would still have to venture out and conduct his job, affecting the lives of others, unlike my SB

see above

And I pointed out how the others you brought up, with the exception of priests, are not as bad and why. You're just too stupid to get it. Your entire perception is that people are guilty until proven innocent.

ohhh, uh, well, if you associate with bad people then you're guilty too...blah blah blah

I'm really glad you live a fairy-tale life where everything goes well, authority figures are always right, and everything is black and white. It's not, and never will be.
    #1) If you think that you can HELP people who are voluntarily doing illegal drugs...it seems that this is a fairy tale world in and of itself. Good luck in that fantasy...I would never run and hide-but I would definitely refer them to get some professional help-but I would not even bank on them actually trying to follow through on that. People who choose to destroy their lives in this manner-will only drag you or anyone down who tries to "rescue" them. Only living life and experiencing this can convince you, though...in the meantime ...keep trying to be the "savior."

#2) The saddest thing about your Army scenario here..is that you were actually in the military...and still referred to the MP as a "gate-guard pig"...this says a lot about what kind of a soldier you were and how much about respect-you actually learned. It seems that a fellow soldier would have had respect for another -doing his duty...but of course...this pattern of blaming others for your -ups seems to be a life-long thing for you.

#3) I never said the crack smoking cop was ok...in fact I called him a dirty cop...but your step brother was no better or no worse than that cop...they both used illegal drugs-end of story.

#4)If a priest abuses someone in his church, or a doctor takes money from a drug company knowing that it will harm his patients --of which he has taken an oath to try and heal and serve..then there is no sane reason to think that they are better or worse than a dirty cop....both are pretty ed up types of people....the fact that you can place cops lower--only shows your prejudice--nothing more.

#5) This fairy tale life is bull ...the way to stay out of trouble is to make choices that don't put someone else in any position of power over you. If there is a law (even though you think it is stupid--- ---even if it IS actually a stupid law) you can choose to break it and give someone else power to arrest you...or you can NOT break it and never have any cop (dirty or not) having any power over you...it is only up to you---no-one else.

Finally, calling anyone stupid only shows that you are a person who likes to judge and name-call...congrats.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dept. of Education SWAT Raid Update: Not for a Student Loan, DoE Says

Yesterday, the Depart of Education's office of inspector general executed a search warrant at Stockton California residence with the presence of local law enforcement authorities.

While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General's Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments.

Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can't comment on the specifics of the case. We can say that the OIG's office conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds.

All further questions on this issue should be directed to the Department of Education's Inspector General's Office.

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. [...]

He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid. [...]

The Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Police officers did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/de...n-swat-team-up

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There's a difference between a drunk driver and a drunk passenger. The cop on drugs is a drunk driver, he's given power of authority over civilians. The BIL who's on drugs is akin to a drunk passenger. He's not out there arresting the cop, he has no authority. With power comes responsibility.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spiderman's uncle was a wise man.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

Pretty stupid position. Other positions don't necessarily attract people who need authority or find it attractive for various reasons the way being a cop does.

silverblk mystix
    Pretty stupid position. Other positions don't necessarily attract people who need authority or find it attractive for various reasons the way being a cop does.
    What does this have to do with abusing your authority?

If you are in a position of authority and you abuse that authority and in the process of doing so, you harm others... how does this make a cop any worse than any other profession?

It doesn't.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Cops are more likely to abuse their authority due to the type of people they attract. There's no doubt that in every profession you can find individuals who abuse authority but there two big differences is that many of those professions don't impact people nearly as badly as a bad cop will and most of those professions will have a far smaller number of offenders due to the personality types they pull in.

To use the example you did, there are a HANDFUL of teachers who have abused a child but you'd be hard pressed to find a police department in this country that hasn't had issues with police brutality.

silverblk mystix
    Cops are more likely to abuse their authority due to the type of people they attract. There's no doubt that in every profession you can find individuals who abuse authority but there two big differences is that many of those professions don't impact people nearly as badly as a bad cop will and most of those professions will have a far smaller number of offenders due to the personality types they pull in.

To use the example you did, there are a HANDFUL of teachers who have abused a child but you'd be hard pressed to find a police department in this country that hasn't had issues with police brutality.
    This is nonsense...or made-up ...or at the very least, just your opinion.

If a person identifies with a label (such as lawyer,doctor,etc...) and they believe that this label is who they are, this is a person that can go astray and abuse their power.
    If a doctor believes he is some great success story and thinks that being a doctor is a great achievement and therefore places himself over other people...he is more likely to abuse his power to hurt others. Any person in any position of power or influence can cross the line. The fact that this board posts articles and videos of dirty cop behavior doesn't automatically mean that cops are the only ones who cross the line.

The types of people that police depts attract? WTF does that mean? Any profession attracts people of all kinds...please don't try to say that one profession has a monopoly on a certain kind of person. This is just sheer bias on your part for your own personal reasons having nothing to do with facts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

If a person identifies with a label (such as lawyer,doctor,etc...) and they believe that this label is who they are, this is a person that can go astray and abuse their power.
    If a doctor believes he is some great success story and thinks that being a doctor is a great achievement and therefore places himself over other people...he is more likely to abuse his power to hurt others. Any person in any position of power or influence can cross the line. The fact that this board posts articles and videos of dirty cop behavior doesn't automatically mean that cops are the only ones who cross the line.

The types of people that police depts attract? WTF does that mean? Any profession attracts people of all kinds...please don't try to say that one profession has a monopoly on a certain kind of person. This is just sheer bias on your part for your own personal reasons having nothing to do with facts.
    In general, being a policeman doesn't require the same intelligence as being a doctor, or professor, or even a lawyer. It's a job that someone with below average intelligence can get. So it will attract a different kind of person than other jobs. It's also a job for those that aren't motivated enough to go through college can get by going through a short police academy training program. Not saying all cops are dumb and unmotivated. But when you compare it to other degreed professions, they should fall in the less intelligent, less motivated range. And any that are intelligent and motivated will quickly move up to higher paying ranks and out of the group of the uniformed thugs.

silverblk mystix
    In general, being a policeman doesn't require the same intelligence as being a doctor, or professor, or even a lawyer. It's a job that someone with below average intelligence can get. So it will attract a different kind of person than other jobs. It's also a job for those that aren't motivated enough to go through college can get by going through a short police academy training program. Not saying all cops are dumb and unmotivated. But when you compare it to other degreed professions, they should fall in the less intelligent, less motivated range. And any that are intelligent and motivated will quickly move up to higher paying ranks and out of the group of the uniformed thugs.
    This is pure speculation. So intelligence is the main factor. If you are already biased against cops this would make sense.

Any profession has people that are intelligent and people that are dumb as a box of rocks. There are people who work somewhere because they have a love for certain things that a particular job entails. Any doctor or lawyer or professor or cop has a myriad of reasons for doing what they do and for choosing to pursue that particular profession.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is pure speculation. So intelligence is the main factor. If you are already biased against cops this would make sense.

Any profession has people that are intelligent and people that are dumb as a box of rocks. There are people who work somewhere because they have a love for certain things that a particular job entails. Any doctor or lawyer or professor or cop has a myriad of reasons for doing what they do and for choosing to pursue that particular profession.
    I'm not biased against cops regardless of how my post sounded. And
    I don't have any proof so I guess I am speculating. But it's not unsound thinking. The intelligence required to be a physician is much higher than that of being a policeman. So, you're going to find that doctors as a whole are smarter than policeman.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.

News10/KXTV
    I wouldn't want an apology for that. I would settle for nothing less than low seven figures, and maybe somebody's head on a stick.

silverblk mystix
    I'm not biased against cops regardless of how my post sounded. And
    I don't have any proof so I guess I am speculating. But it's not unsound thinking. The intelligence required to be a physician is much higher than that of being a policeman. So, you're going to find that doctors as a whole are smarter than policeman.
    Doctors in general are probably smarter than your avg cop. Sounds reasonable.

Dirty cops vs. dirty ________ are both not very smart. That seems obvious to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dept. of Education SWAT Raid Update: Not for a Student Loan, DoE Says

Yesterday, the Depart of Education's office of inspector general executed a search warrant at Stockton California residence with the presence of local law enforcement authorities.

While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General's Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments.

Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can't comment on the specifics of the case. We can say that the OIG's office conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds.

All further questions on this issue should be directed to the Department of Education's Inspector General's Office.

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. [...]

He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid. [...]

The Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Police officers did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/de...n-swat-team-up
    I am not really all that surprised that there is more to it. These things always turn out to be a bit more complex than the first "rush to get the story out there" reports.

If it was only student loans I don't see even the most psychotic supervisor thinking that a full on home invasion is warranted.

Give it a few days and maybe we can get a bit closer to what really went down, rather than relying on one or two hurried news items.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Doctors in general are probably smarter than your avg cop. Sounds reasonable.

Dirty cops vs. dirty ________ are both not very smart. That seems obvious to me.
    I don't even know where this was supposed to go. I think I was making the point (which I still believe to be true but don't have the motivation to lay it out) that employment as a policman will attract a different kind of person than that of a doctor. Or priest or whatever. But anyway, we agree that doctors are smarter than policeman, as a group.

And I'm pretty sure that there are countless studies that link lower intelligence with a higher proclivity to violence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Its fact. Look up a little something called Myers Briggs.

I don't know what to tell you if you think all professions are made up equally of people with the same type of personalities. That simply isn't the case. Moder day recruiters would tell that is completely false and human resources departments of many companies conduct personality tests when hiring due to this very fact.

Also, I never said anything about a monopoly on a single personality for any given profession. There's a reason I used the words "more likely".

I'm sorry you don't agree with do ented fact and you can write it off if you'd like but I'll maintain that is a stupid viewpoint. Don't take my word for it, do some research and then tell me its just my opinion.

Thread Information