Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their offense is sick, and will win them games... but unless it gets better, their defense will NEVER win them a championship.... -Mark my words.

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet Baby Jesus, every last one of you guys would have easily bet your left testicle that the Spurs would have a of a lot more than three losses coming to the close of the first trimester of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that they're not looking like a championship caliber team right now, but fortunately, the jury is still out on that one as they have more than enough time to get better defensively on a consistent basis - and start to play Splitter more.
    Without Splitter playing starter minutes, I don't think the Spurs can get it done against teams with big and good FCs like the Lakers or the Celtics.

As far as the mental errors go, I think GSH is overestimating this one game against the Grizz. The Spurs have been playing a lot of games as of late, and over the course of 82 games, there will be times when you are just not as sharp mentally as you'd like to be.
    Seeing that the last couple of games have been really close, I guess the Spurs are in for a loss in those kinds of games sooner rather than later, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never take a snapshot of the NBA season and declare that what a team is, unless it was already definitively that beforehand (like the Clippers, Kings, Timberwolves, Warriors, Raptors, Bobcats, Wizards, Pistons, Cavaliers and Nets, who are all terrible teams . . . it doesn't matter if they're in the midst of a five game winning streak or they fluke out and win seven out of ten, etc.).

A team like the Spurs, we know they're very good. We don't quite know yet if they're great. Ultimately, we won't even begin to be able to answer that until we see multiple games against the other elite teams. But really, we won't know until the playoffs. The only time we've seen this group in the playoffs, they were swept in the 2nd round. Not exactly an extensive track record. We know they've improved since then, though.

The only two teams in the league that it can be said with certainty that they're championship caliber are the Lakers and the Celtics. Everyone else, we're just making educated guesses at this point.

????The Lakers can definetely say that but the Spurs can say anything the Celtics want and more as the true big three has 11 les between them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as the mental errors (in particular, the 8 sec violation), IMO Parker should get a pass. He played 41 mins. going at that speed and still played great. Wasn't he getting instructions for the next play from Pop?

I'd blame TD more. Wasn't Randolph inside the circle? TD should have taken it strong to the hole, shouldn't have passed off the ball to RJ, and the game shouldn't have gone to overtime.

Hill's injury and having to play IME contributed to the game being so close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a championship caliber team. Not now, anyway. They could develop into one. But with the stunts they have pulled the last several nights - the unforced errors in crunch time? Not a chance. And the most disturbing part is that a lot of the worst mental errors are being committed by their best players.

Tonight they had a 5 point lead, and possession of the ball, with about 1:10 left. Instead of running off some time and looking for a high percentage shot late in the clock, they tried to force an alley-oop on a damned fast break, and used up what? Four seconds? Stupid.

And can they really be so casual in overtime that they fail to bring the ball across mid-court within 8 seconds? Seriously? In overtime, with the game on the line? I know Parker is talented, and he was a beast - in the fourth quarter especially. But every team has talented players, who can dominate quarters. Championship teams have a sense of urgency. Runner-up teams look back on all the opportunities they missed throughout the season.

You could argue that the Spurs keep finding some way to come out on top. You could - but it would be a ridiculous argument. Only the fact that Memphis is a young, sub-.500 team allowed the Spurs to even get to overtime. The Spurs did everything they could to give the game away, and any better team would have said "Thank you" and gone home with a W. The previous two games required miracle plays by Manu. But when you look at how close Manu's last shot in Denver came to rolling out, or how close his last shot against Milwaukee came to being a travel, you have to recognize that the Spurs could just as easily be sitting on a 3 game losing streak. As good as Manu and Tony played at the end of those games, the W's are still a matter of luck.

Championships aren't won on luck. The Spurs have quite literally thrown away three games in a row with stupid, lackadaisical play down the stretch. The fact that the basketball gods chose to go dumpster diving and give the games back doesn't mean a thing. The basketball gods take the months of May and June off.

The Spurs have the talent, now, to win another championship. They have a better bench than they have had in years. And any of their Big 3 can rise to the level of hero on any given night. But even that won't be enough to overcome the kind of stupid unforced errors they have committed in the last few games. They began the season believing that they needed to get off to a fast start. Lately they seem to have gone back to the at ude that a loss or two, here and there, is no big deal. Losing a few games won't kill them - but the at ude will. There are no gimmes in the NBA, and every game along the way is important. Championship teams live and breath that.
    Show me an example of a championship caliber team that has not won games because they recovered from unforced turnovers.

The very mark of a championship caliber team is one that can win even when they aren't playing well.

Kobe Bryant has made a career out of last second heroics in regular season against sub par teams. I would say the Lakers are a championship caliber team.

Every team makes runs and they give up runs. The difference in the game is the size and longevity of those runs. These are all NBA teams. Any of them can beat you on any given night.

If the record is an anomaly, why don't more teams have that anomaly? Why, in the history of this game, have better Spurs teams not have better starts? Why haven't the Nets had such a start?

These comments about sub par teams is amusing. The Spurs became a >500 team because they won, it wasn't bestowed upon them.

The Lakers play as if losing a game here and there doesn't matter.

No team since then has had the "win every game" mentality, luck and ability as the Jordan era Bulls. It's probably not going to happen.

I will take the Spurs with their problems and the best record in the league over the Spurs without those problems and middle of the pack. That's because they will be even better once they get in step, after the break. Middle of the pack Spurs without fixable issues are just a 2nd round exit waiting to happen again.
    Last edited by DMC; 12-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am Ok with them not beign a chapionship caliber team yet. They are playing good enough to have the best record, they have been lucky too, and that counts, and it's ing december.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their offense is sick, and will win them games... but unless it gets better, their defense will NEVER win them a championship.... -Mark my words.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's December. If they win games, they win games. You think they are not championship, but yet they have the best record in the league. We'll see in a couple months...

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until I see how they match up with Boston and the Lakers height and determination, I wll wait to call them a championship caliber team. But these victories are far form meaningless. Great teams build up during a season. This team has gained an iden y on which it can hang its hat. Each of these victories has been a building block towards the goal of getting a championship. The players know thier roles, and are gaining the confidence of knowing that they can win any game against any opponent if they stick to the plan. This team works the whole game long, not always smart, but they keep grinding away, aren't discouraged by falling behind though they do seem to lose focus with big leads, much like the 2003 team. But I like what I'm seeing, though I would like to see Splitter assert himself more on the defensive end of the floor. And Blair use his strength more to keep his opponent out of the paint. I do agree that the allep oop was a bad decision and that the 8 sec turnover was a really careless mistake. But they still overcame this, last season's team would have lost all 3 games, this team refuses to just wilt and die, lessons that will serve them well come playoff time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get over our 'luck' the past 3 games. Everybody, even the best players make mistakes. Its december and its not like our players commit this mistakes in may and june. Maybe just manu that time in 06 but still our roster is capable of great things. They know its not about regular season. Plus, your wrong on the luck part. They arent won on luck, true, but you always need to be lucky to win a championship. Werent the lakers lucky 2 years ago when they won to OKC, or when Yao got hurt cause Im sure that Rockets team would've beat them have he stayed healthy. Or werent they lucky when that Courtney Lee alley-opp was goaltended by Gasol in the finals.

Even our teams have been lucky when we have won championships. 07 when Dallas fell to Golden State, which was a of a Mavs team. Or 03 when Horry failed the 3 pointer in the WCSF. Besides I dont know what are you trying to prove. That this is not a championship caliber team? I think most of us here recognize that there is a long way before that, but you have to admit our team is arguably the best team right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "splitt" some minutes between Bonner, McDyess, Blair and Spurs should be fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 8 sec turnover, the foot out of bounds... those I see as careless mistakes. The alley oop was a wide open transition play that showed great hustle and chemistry. They just missed it. I like that they brushed it off and went ahead with the game.

We all see every little mistake like this, but every game has these. Like Pop preaches, they have to play though them. Any decent team can win when they play their A game, but when a team can step up their game on a moments notice and get the win, that's a special team. It's almost never the same guy who does it. One night it's Manu, then it's Parker, then it's Duncan or maybe RJ or one of the bench players who steps up.

One thing is for sure, Blair is really having a hard time this year. I think the position of center isn't his best place to be, but until he can develop and hit that outside shot, he's going to be stuck in there with people much larger than he is. He needs to focus on rebounding and dishing the ball. He makes some shots but quite often he's looking up at a tower and trying to score over it. It gets ugly. I like the kid though, I hope he sticks with it and improves, otherwise I think he's going to be trade bait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying, because the errors that the Spurs made didn't cost them the game, then they must have won on luck?

Ok man, every team makes errors, in every game. The key is to minimize them and make your opponent make even more errors. If the Nuggets won that game, would anyone say that they won on luck, "because the errors that they made to dig themselves into a double-diggit deficet didn't cost them the win"?

A win is a win son, and besides, you don't think Pop is all over the team's ass right now, chewing them out over the mistakes they have made late in the games? The key is to get better as the seasons progressess.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posting to BUMP in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, many of us, even during the winning streak and before the season even started said this team was not likely a contender as currently constructed. Having said that, the upside as is seems considerably higher than many could imagine.

I see what OP is saying with regards to the team making very uncharacteristic mental mistakes in big moments. It is never good to see that from a team like this. But all teams have those moments. If it continues to be a trend then it will be time to worry. As for now, they Spurs have had many more championship moments than bonehead moves.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a championship caliber team. Not now, anyway. They could develop into one. But with the stunts they have pulled the last several nights - the unforced errors in crunch time? Not a chance. And the most disturbing part is that a lot of the worst mental errors are being committed by their best players.

Tonight they had a 5 point lead, and possession of the ball, with about 1:10 left. Instead of running off some time and looking for a high percentage shot late in the clock, they tried to force an alley-oop on a damned fast break, and used up what? Four seconds? Stupid.

And can they really be so casual in overtime that they fail to bring the ball across mid-court within 8 seconds? Seriously? In overtime, with the game on the line? I know Parker is talented, and he was a beast - in the fourth quarter especially. But every team has talented players, who can dominate quarters. Championship teams have a sense of urgency. Runner-up teams look back on all the opportunities they missed throughout the season.

You could argue that the Spurs keep finding some way to come out on top. You could - but it would be a ridiculous argument. Only the fact that Memphis is a young, sub-.500 team allowed the Spurs to even get to overtime. The Spurs did everything they could to give the game away, and any better team would have said "Thank you" and gone home with a W. The previous two games required miracle plays by Manu. But when you look at how close Manu's last shot in Denver came to rolling out, or how close his last shot against Milwaukee came to being a travel, you have to recognize that the Spurs could just as easily be sitting on a 3 game losing streak. As good as Manu and Tony played at the end of those games, the W's are still a matter of luck.

Championships aren't won on luck. The Spurs have quite literally thrown away three games in a row with stupid, lackadaisical play down the stretch. The fact that the basketball gods chose to go dumpster diving and give the games back doesn't mean a thing. The basketball gods take the months of May and June off.

The Spurs have the talent, now, to win another championship. They have a better bench than they have had in years. And any of their Big 3 can rise to the level of hero on any given night. But even that won't be enough to overcome the kind of stupid unforced errors they have committed in the last few games. They began the season believing that they needed to get off to a fast start. Lately they seem to have gone back to the at ude that a loss or two, here and there, is no big deal. Losing a few games won't kill them - but the at ude will. There are no gimmes in the NBA, and every game along the way is important. Championship teams live and breath that.
    Really!!!! .... What are you on Dope or Dog Food? The Spurs are balling...At the end of the day its about W's and L's and as far as I'm concerned we are 19 games above 500 The Best in The League and 1 Big away from wining it all again.... SO Stop posting these STUPID POST's!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had mistakes like that during the regular season in previous championship teams too. Focus isn't going to be there all season long. I still think we have some weak links, and ultimately it's still a bit early to weed out completely the contenders from the pretenders. Obviously Phoenix and Orlando just made some major moves, and we'll see how they pan out. Teams like the Hornets started hot and crumbled in a matter of 5 weeks. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and lets hope we're healthy and at our best in April.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You call that alley oop a mental error? It wasn't forced. It wasn't anything beyond the capabilities of what R.J. can do as a finisher around the rim. The ball slipped out of his hands and he knew he missed an easy one. It was written all over his reaction after the play.

And, if you think this isn't a championship-caliber team right now, I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Lakers..right now, or the Heat..right now, or Dallas.. right now.

I don't understand the point of such gloom and doom threads after a 23-3 start. People have generally been pretty good about not hyping up the start either, so I don't understand the point of this thread.
    Amen brother we're 20 gms over .500 in December STFU!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, even though I don't think the Spurs are currently a legit contender on the level of Boston or LA, if they can keep that #1 seed, it would obviously make a massive difference..not necessarily because the Spurs would play at home, but because the Mavs and Lakers would probably have a tough, long series in the 2nd round..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ONLY thing keeping the Spurs from being a lock for Finals appearance, let alone #5, is interior defense. Dice and Duncan will hopefully be solid enough to do some damage, but I am not happy at all with Tiago's progression so far.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only concern so far is that a team like Memphis or Minny raped us on rebounds. I think mental focus playing against bad teams is low (we lost against LAC), but still we were able to get the win, something that didn't happen in the last 2 years..
    Also, being the best team in the league (record) motivates rivals to give something more against the Spurs. That "over energy" and our low energy, especially coming from a taugh b2b, is what made us win in OT last night..

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only concern so far is that a team like Memphis or Minny raped us on rebounds. I think mental focus playing against bad teams is low (we lost against LAC), but still we were able to get the win, something that didn't happen in the last 2 years..
    Also, being the best team in the league (record) motivates rivals to give something more against the Spurs. That "over energy" and our low energy, especially coming from a taugh b2b, is what made us win in OT last night..
    Memphis are the best offensive rebounding team in the entire league.

Minnesota have the best rebounder in the entire league.

If there are teams likely to "rape us on rebounds", they'd be the among the top teams where that's OK because it will happen to everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, the T-Mac facerape in 33 seconds of our team took place in the 2005 season...that turned out pretty good for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it wouldn't. You didn't even win a game at home in the last series you played. Stop fooling yourself, asshole.
    You are a bad troll and you should feel bad about how bad you suck.

Thread Information