My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEW YORK -- Denver Nuggets coach George Karl and Portland Trail Blazers guard Andre Miller have each been fined $25,000 for separate incidents.

NBA vice president Stu Jackson announced the punishments Saturday.

Karl was fined for public comments about the officiating following the Nuggets' 113-112 home loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday.

Miller was fined for throwing the ball in the stands following the Blazers' 103-98 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday.

link

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the ESPN conversation section -

tjorda23 (12/18/2010 at 5:35 PM)
    Report Violation
    Manu Ganobli sucks, I think he ruins the game.... Maybe its because Im a Nuggets fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Refereeing is hard to understand sometimes,'' said Karl, who watched in disbelief as Carmelo Anthony's apparent game-winning shot was waved off because of a charging call. "There are so many things that ... it's just strange. Some of the things, it's just strange sometimes."
    "Nene, I think is the probably No. 1 guy in this league (that doesn't get respect from the officials). He got three touch fouls at the beginning of the third quarter. He had three fouls called on him. One that took away a dunk.''
    "If we show them on film, they don't exist,'' Karl said. "We have films that we send into the league office that (fouls) don't exist. And here's a guy that's close to an All-Star, and he just doesn't get a lot of respect. I think it affects you. We tell them to fight through it, forget it, refereeing will come back and all that stuff. It just sometimes seems that we don't get the whistles sometimes I think we earn by how hard we're playing and how well we're playing.''

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted an audio interview of Karl's comments after the game in a separate thread. Funny thing is he actually specifically mentioned that he's going to be careful with his words because he didn't want to be fined by the league. Looks like he wasn't careful enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comments section filled with people butthurt about Ginobili and Lebron clowning their teams. It's hilarious.

I wonder if Miami fans feel the same satisfaction whenever Lebron/Wade just take a massive over the opposing team to such an extent that fans cry "foul."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can always gauge how well the Spurs are doing with how butthurt opposing fans are with regards to Manu. It's ing priceless.
    Last edited by Fpoonsie; 12-19-2010 at 12:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Carl! I don't understand why harington wasn't called for holding dice on the last play and how ginobili wasn't fouled on the play before! I am beside myself!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Carl! I don't understand why harington wasn't called for holding dice on the last play and how ginobili wasn't fouled on the play before! I am beside myself!
    Or how Nene wasn't called for an offensive foul when he used his off arm to literally swat away Tim Duncan's arms as Nene used his left hand to lay the ball in for an easy 2. No...Nene instead had the audacity to scream at the refs asking why Tim didn't get called for a blocking foul.

Questionable calls occur every single game, and I don't think it's humanly possible for any set of refs to get it 100% right on any given day. That's just life - deal with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The refs were sucking the Nuggets s all en night LONG! you Karl.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he trying to say it wasn't a charge? Practically everyone who saw the play, including both commentators and the studio guys, all acknowledged it as a no question offensive foul. Is he really trying to question that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or how Nene wasn't called for an offensive foul when he used his off arm to literally swat away Tim Duncan's arms as Nene used his left hand to lay the ball in for an easy 2. No...Nene instead had the audacity to scream at the refs asking why Tim didn't get called for a blocking foul.

Questionable calls occur every single game, and I don't think it's humanly possible for any set of refs to get it 100% right on any given day. That's just life - deal with it.
    Yeah that one was so blatant, I couldn't believe they missed it. The Harrington really got me mad though, he was standing behind Dice not even attempting to go for the rebound, dude was literally pulling down Dice's arm and Dice got called for the foul. Or when the Nuggs knocked the ball outta bounds right in front of the refs and they retained possession leading to them scoring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS

Although Karl is wrong about the officiating, he has the right to say what he thinks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can always gauge how well the Spurs are doing with how butthurt opposing fan are with regards to Manu. It's ing priceless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The boos when Manu had the ball were starting to get faint...Manu has now stoked their fire once again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I don't agree with Karl on most of that but I can't believe he was fined so much for those comments. That just seems like too much.

The league requires these guys to have a question and answer session with the media and then fines them if they are in any way critical of the officiating. Sometimes the officiating really is bad. Or sometimes its not but the person believes it is and expresses it when asked.

Something just seems wrong about that. I can understand a fine if the person is just getting ridiculous with conspiracy theories or something but this was just a coach frustrated with a call that honestly is not called consistently by the refs and he was upset it was called to end a game. Sour grapes maybe but I don't see anything wrong with him expressing that.

I'm not sure if there would be enough grounds for it but I would love to see a player, coach or team sue the league after a stupid fine like this for limiting their freedom of speech or something along those lines.

I'm sure it won't happen but would be interesting to see how that played out.

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fines are dumb but those refs literally allowed the Nuggets back into the game. Shameful, Karl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah the refs were bailing out the nuggs ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That team (Den) shot 37 free throws and got several phantom/bail out calls to obtain additional possessions. Sorry George, your history of complaining about officials and being a loose cannon in general doesn't get you any sympanthy at the 5th Avenue NBA HQ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Karl's problem is that his team was up with just a few seconds to play and they couldn't stop the one man-u they knew was getting the ball.

That turnover during the inbounds should have been called a foul for the reach over the back.

Melo should have taken the short range jumper. Instead he drives the lane and loses the game. Had the Nuggets won, there would be complaints about officiating.

I wonder if any team sends complaints to the league when they win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Karl can shut the and stop whining.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, Karl...go yourself.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Thread Information