Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony is in the prime of his career.. Manu most certainly is not. The wheeling and dealing talks with Tony Parker started very early in his career, and only stop when the Spurs win a le.

The Spurs are one or two seasons away from needing a complete rebuilding. Im still torn as to whether or not it's in the Spurs best interest to try to include Tony in their future.

PG's can play well in to their 30's, but tony's game is predicated on his speed and quickness. With his past injuries, i don't think he can sustain high level speed/quickness into his 30's. Rebuilding, or not, a team needs leadership and Tony has shown he has that quality. My heart wants to see Tony retire with the Spurs, but any team with salary cap space or big spending ability will most certainly offer him more than the Spurs can...both in dollars and in short term success.
    True, Tony Parker did have to work his way since the Spurs wanted Jason Kidd. Still, Manu's name was in trade talks ever since his injuries played a role in the playoffs especially 2008/09. And if you're not named Tim Duncan, one can't expect a guarantee to retire in SA.

Tony Parker's age also doesn't pair up that well with Duncan and Manu; which helps create the situation the Spurs will be facing soon of whether or not to extend Parker past the TD era.

Personally I rather see him go than get extended since his patriotism likely won't waiver and it works out best for the Spurs and TP. If the Spurs sign him to a big contract he'll likely still play for France thus risking his NBA potential; something the Spurs probably can't afford to gamble on in a post-TD era. If Parker gets a better offer elsewhere he should take it, and if its for playing in a big city like New York then I'm sure he'll live

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs want Parker and Parker wants the Spurs. If he comes back healthy, the Spurs won't even let him get to Free Agency... just like Manu......

Manu said over and over and over again during random times in the season that he would explore his options and leave if there was a better offer... obviously look how that turned out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its def not a lock Tony will want to be here past this season. He may simply not want to rebuild and if the Spurs are going to go into a long term rebuilding process and Tim is not going to stick around well then could you really fault him for wanting to go win?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told yall no matter what he wont be here next year... he already said it, i told yall hill is the future... and yall people started complaining and saying keep him cause he will never leave.... oh well what do yall have to say now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told yall no matter what he wont be here next year... he already said it, i told yall hill is the future... and yall people started complaining and saying keep him cause he will never leave.... oh well what do yall have to say now?
    ummm..kill this thread

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say "Parker thread!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh well what do yall have to say now?
    You're a moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yall ready, to be shashamated..

on a serious note, stfu.

unless we can get a player the caliber of Parker, do me a favor, when you take a stuff it in your mouth to keep you quiet.

dumbass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man yall need to get off of parkers nuts already, the dude is done on sa it was a good ride but its over, and yall know this.... trade him already so the new people we get can learn the system early instead of halfway through the season...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's at least wait until the trade deadline before dumping him. If the Spurs look like they have any chance of making the Finals they have to keep him, even if he leaves at the end of the year. If the Spurs are struggling with injuries and/or their play then they should trade him. To trade him now would be foolish.

You can't fix stupid..... E-RockWill's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What?

"He's Manu Ginobili." senorglory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Parker been traded?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, now I can say... you're one of the worst posters in this forum.

I hope you're a troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I want to not comment in this thread so it may fall to the bottom of the page, I just need to say how much of a re the OP is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Hill is the starting PG then we may aswell trade Duncan and Manu and rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I want to not comment in this thread so it may fall to the bottom of the page, I just need to say how much of a re the OP is.

Exact definite reason for my suggestion for him to put his own excreted orally so he won't be heard.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it will be many. many years until the Spurs contend for a le again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole interview:

Your ninth NBA season hasn't been the most successful one of your career. How do you feel about that?
    It's sure that it wasn't a good season, it was an average one. Every time I came back from an injury, I had another one! But when I think at it, I put it in perspective. I've been in NBA for 9 years and it's the first time I had a year like that. I have a hard time being disappointed. I've had a lot of luck since I'm in the NBA. However, I draw conclusions of this year for my future.

Is this difficult year the reason of you not playing the WC this summer?
    I've played a lot these past years. I've player the last 6 summers with FNT. I've always given the priority to FNT. This time, I've said to myself: "I will give the priority to Spurs". It's important for me too, it's my contract year and I have to play well. I think it's good that I take a full summer off and work on my body. After July 10th, I will have a physical trainer. I've never done that in the NBA! I think it well help me. And after an average season, I want to prove to everyone that it was just an accident.

Your have received some criticism for not playing the WC...
    Of course and it's logical. People say: " He is here, he isn't injured but he isn't playing!" but they don't understand that we aren't machines and that we need some rest. If I'm not playing well, if I'm not at 100% and I play the WC, they will also criticize me. I will never be able to win that argument.

Is spending some time with your wife been also a factor?
    It's sure that it was a factor. I wanted to spend some time with Eva. Since our wedding, I've played every summer with the FNT! (he smiled) In fact, I wanted more to please Eva than Spurs this summer!

And it's a crucial summer in your career. There is still one year left in your contract. Do you want to negotiate an extension with Spurs very fast?
    No, I don't. I rather wait to see where the big FAs will go this summer. I'm not in a hurry. I also really love SA and I want to stay for the last year of my contract to play with Tim and Manu. After that, I will be a FA and re-evaluate the situation.

And then maybe leaving Spurs?
    I will have been a Spur for 10 years. It could be the end of a great cycle and it could be a great challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave SA, I can have a second career with 8 or 9 years with another team.

However Spurs could trade you this summer. there have been some talks about NY and Portland.
    It's logical that there are some rumors. I've the highest trade value of the team. Anyway, I've talked with Pop and he says me that I will go nowhere. It's true that NY and Portland were the two most serious options but Spurs have said no to them.

Speaking about that, there will have rumors the whole summer with high level free agents.
    I will be huge. I will change the face of the NBA and for me, it's important. Next summer, I will know where everyone is and it will be easier to choose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a weird article. Stating that he's secure for this season, yet putting so much emphasis on the possibility of leaving the next? I'm pretty sure February is going to revolve around him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Tony's answers, as usual with him, it's honest ...

He is not stupid and understand clearly that the spurs won't be able to give him the salary he thinks he deserves + THIS IS PART OF THE NEGOCIATION PROCESS !!!!!!

If the FO thinks that he is ready to leave IF he has to , they will try harder to keep him than if they think/he says, that he OBSOLUTELY wants to remain a spur...

As much as I want him to finish his carrer in SA, I can't blame him (after 10 years!) to want to discover another city/team... even more if he doesn't feel repected/loved by the fan base and the FO...

I mean the guy has done EVERYTHING he has been asked for, won 3 rings, the final mvp, improved EACH year he has been a spur (exept his lone injured plaged year)...

We can't blame him for anything.

Why should only the FO be allowed to see it as a business pov and not the players (the same goes for Manu until he signed his extention!).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk are some pressure moves by Spurs and Parker around his extension:
    - Spurs put pressure on Parker by saying him they will trade him.
    - Parker put pressure on Spurs by saying he could go elsewhere next summer.

For the moment, both sides are just showing their muscles. Talks about an extension will start in July, let's hope both sides will be reasonable and reach an agreement.

What is the negotiation window Spurs and Parker have?

I think, if they can, the Spurs will take the same approach they had with Manu. Wait and see if TP is back to the 2009 level, if he is I see them get an extension done by march

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if he made these statements as a way of saying "F you."

The guy always played hard, always performed and offensively carried this team through multiple playoff runs...yet he's always at the center of trade talk and fans are never happy with what he brings.

"If im not good enough, then I'll go elsewhere."
    That being said, i hope it was just an emotional response. I hope he privately shared his intentions to stay in SA. If not, he's gonna be in the middle of hot trade talks near the deadline...and he should be. If he's set on leaving then the spurs need something in return.

I agree, but I definitely think that this just part of the NEGOCIATION process, nothing more.

So many things can still happen and remember Manu was in the SAME situation a year ago. He kept saying all year long that he understand it's a business and that he was ready to leave if he had to.

Thread Information