Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fail to understand the logic of making such a statement at this time of the year.

Is he trying to force a trade by doing so? I mean, now everybody knows that he's willing to be a free agent and that the spurs would be loosing some team value if it happens.

"L'équipe" has been trying to make big headlines lately but in France such a statement is not a big seller so I doubt he hasn't said that literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him and try to get a good SG! Why let him go for free?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been thinking he's going to leave for a while. And I do think there's a big chance of him being traded at some point this year IF this translation is correct.

Google translation: "Ten years ago at the end of next year I played in San Antonio. It's a nice loop and a great challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I go I can make another career, eight or nine years in another club."

I would guess the correct translation goes something like this:
    "At the end of next year, it would be be ten years that I have played in San Antonio. It's a nice loop and it's a great challenge for me to go elsewhere. If i go, I could start a new career with another club for eight or nine years. (Meaning he sees himself playing till his late 30's)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's an accurate translation guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pop is going to be excited to hear that. Parker has always said he would like to resign and this is home, if the Spurs feel he won't than he should really be traded with RJ in a huge deal lol.

Somebody find the quotes where he said he thinks the teams last chance at a le is in the next 1/2 years only (not sure if it was 1 or 2 years)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About this NY and Portland trade talk, seems like all the rumors have been kinda true about NY. Not sure where Portland came in though!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread has potential. i haven't really thought about parker's decision. i always thought if the spurs extended ginobili, then they will try to keep parker. however, if he does want more than the spurs are willing to offer or wants to jump ship, which i can't really blame him, then the spurs will have no choice but to trade him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade chance :

Parker - Jefferson for Paul - Okafor - Posey

why for us : 1) Paul
    2) with Parker gone, probably is the end also for Mahinmi chances to stay with the team...so we need another big and Okafor, also if clearly overpaid (prime reason 'cause New Orleans want to get rid of him), could be a good one to play along with Timmy (he rebounds, blocks shots, runs the floor well, is not a main option on offense, he's still in his age prime and under contract for only three more years)

3) Posey has played a bad season 'cause of injuries, but has the skills (outside shot and defense) for being a more than nice option in our system as a sf and is under contract for only two more seasons

why for New Orleans

1) considering next year, they get rid of all the bad contracts and can start re loading the team;
    2) they get a point guard of very good value for Paul, they can extend him already for more seasons, and don't have to fear anymore that Paul is disgruntled or choose to play for another team at the end of hiss current contract;
    3) Jefferson is totally healty (not like Posey or Stojakovic) and can be re-signed at a lower price next year a be a good piece for next three - four years

why for Paul : he wants to win, and New Orleaìns, currently, doesn't have a real window at the le...with us he will have a more than decent chance for at least next two years.

why for Parker : New Orleans is a very nice city to live in and is a lot "french speaking"; so he could look something more than a good player for them...he could became in little time the real "face" of the franchise. That's why, there are all the chances that N.O. could be already willing to give him a "maximum" extension.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's true that the Spurs actively tried to trade Tony , then i dont blame him for thinking this way. It's a damn shame , that it has got to this. He sure is under-appreciated by fans but is a massive part of this team and it's history. He and Manu are the cornerstones of the team.The two the spurs need to revolve around going into the future.

From what was reported , both parties seemed on the same page leading up to the draft. Going by speculation it seemed otherwise. Spurs need to do
    their best to let tony know he's appreciated.

Tony in another uniform but the spurs, that is just hard to digest.
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-29-2010 at 06:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade chance :

why for New Orleans

1) considering next year, they get rid of all the bad contracts and can start re loading the team;
    2) they get a point guard of very good value for Paul, they can extend him already for more seasons, and don't have to fear anymore that Paul is disgruntled or choose to play for another team at the end of hiss current contract;
    3) Jefferson is totally healty (not like Posey or Stojakovic) and can be re-signed at a lower price next year a be a good piece for next three - four years
    Pretty sure you couldn't find even one NO fan who would be happy with these and besides NO could easily find much better deals than Parker + Jefferson.

This trade would make a lot of sense for the Spurs, but absolutely zero for NO - if they want cap relief, instant at that, they can trade for, say, Dampier and a package around him - this would save them much more money or they could make a trade with a team under the Salary Cap, as there are quite a few this summer. But taking on Jefferson and Parker, whom they'd most likely lose next summer, does sweet all for NO, both financially and talent-wise.

"We'll do it this time" Bartleby's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade chance :

That would be a great trade for the Spurs but I don't see NO going for it unless they have given up completely and are planning to hit the reset button.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk are some pressure moves by Spurs and Parker around his extension:
    - Spurs put pressure on Parker by saying him they will trade him.
    - Parker put pressure on Spurs by saying he could go elsewhere next summer.

For the moment, both sides are just showing their muscles. Talks about an extension will start in July, let's hope both sides will be reasonable and reach an agreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For the moment, both sides are just showing their muscles. Talks about an extension will start in July, let's hope both sides will be reasonable and reach an agreement.
    I can agree to your assumption to a certain degree but I sense some dissatisfaction toward the spurs in his take to l'équipe. To be honest, TP is le hungry but realistically I don't see our spurs being in the le hunt after Duncan's era and I doubt about any financial commitment from the organization towards TP (read max extension) unless it means being in contention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you recognize the big financial forces at play, the struggles that have been evident between Parker and the Spurs are much easier to understand.

1. The uncertainties associated with the upcoming 2011 CBA.

2. The two year commitment to greatly increased spending that was signaled by the RJ trade and the Dice signing.

Those two forces will make it difficult for the two sides to come to agreement on an extension unless it is for substantially less than the maximum possible (5yrs/90M). I've always been pessimistic that the two sides, even while negotiating in good faith, will be able to arrive at a yrs/dollars agreement satisfactory to both Tony and the Spurs.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's bad timing for him to say that, but I don't know why anyone is surprised that he would leave. The Spurs will be in full rebuild mode and it's probably in the best interest of both parties if he does go.

Parker is 28 years old...but is closer to 32 as far as mileage goes. He says he wants to play 8 more seasons but anyone with any sort of objective point of view knows that's a pretty serious stretch. Parker probably has 4 good seasons(maybe less, depending on how many summers he takes off) left in him before he loses his quickness and/or gets too banged up to be relied upon for a whole season. Why would he want to stay in SA and finish out his career trying to carry a rebuilding team?

From the Spurs prespective, they need to think about the potential repercussions of staying loyal to Parker to the point where they sign him to a 5 year deal. With Manu's contract already on the books, investing a lot of cash in another older player that might wind up only giving them a couple of good years probably isn't the best direction to go...especially since the Spurs won't be in le contention again in the near future.

All of that said, the timing of Parker's comments are really the only bad thing about them. Him saying this tells me that he going to play hard this season to work for his new contract(no matter where it is) and getting the best from Parker translates into the Spurs having one last shot at putting another trophy in the case. That's all that really matters to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade him to Indiana for Murphy and Paul George

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, anyone who want's to trade Parker now because of his comments is basically saying they are ready to rebuild. The Spurs best chance at winning this year is to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realistic translation of this article:

1- i'll become a beast next year because i want my "value" to be up for the FA market!!!

2- Pop told me "stay here please one more year", then GTFO

3- for season 2011-2012 i want a change in my life, be the superstar of another team and have children.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, anyone who want's to trade Parker now because of his comments is basically saying they are ready to rebuild. The Spurs best chance at winning this year is to keep him.
    If Splitter signs, I'd say the chance of a Parker trade this summer approaches zero. They'll take their best shot at fielding a contender and a contract-year Parker would be part of that.

They would then re-examine their options at the trade deadline based upon the realities that present themselves over the course of the first half of the season. If the season's prospects still look promising, then they stand fast and go for the best possible result. In that scenario, they simply let Parker play out his contract and wait for the new CBA to be signed.

silverblk mystix
    I think that it could have been taken out of context-unless someone has a full, correct translation.
    No sense in jumping to conclusions.
    Parker has always been a true spur and I have always respected him and his professionalism-for being so young.

I can look around the league and see so many idiots that get FAR more support from their fans-and it kinda irks me a bit to see so many here bashing him repeatedly.
    I still don't understand the reason why.
    I, for one, would think that he deserves better and I feel if the spurs deal with him fairly-he will retire as a spur.
    I will also give him the benefit of the doubt-because I feel he has earned it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys he said:

"Si je pars je peux faire une autre carrière, huit ou neuf ans dans un autre club».

"IF I leave I can have a new other long career in another team"

He doesn't say he will leave but IF !

I understand the whole thing as if I'm obliged to leave I want to finish my career for one unique other team, he doesn't want to move every two years ! Traduction he will look for a long contract, nothing wrong with that IMO.
    Last edited by Brazil; 06-29-2010 at 08:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple if you ask me... there are 2 scenarios:

1. If you get Splitter you try to keep Parker and contend.

2. If Splitter doesn't come over you trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly

What TP is saying: pop I want a long deal for the money I feel I deserve, if spurs don't want to give me what I want I'll go see elsewhere.

I'm sure TP preference is to sign an extension of 4 - 5 years with the Spurs for something around 70 MUSD.

Negotiation with Manu began the same way with Manu saying he is ready to play for another team, it's part of the negotiation process.

Fans are overreacting for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's ok with me. He has to consider his options. He would be a fool not to. Supposing he does leave at the end of the season (or is traded), who would be the point guard in 2011-12?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly

What TP is saying: pop I want a long deal for the money I feel I deserve, if spurs don't want to give me what I want I'll go see elsewhere.

I'm sure TP preference is to sign an extension of 4 - 5 years with the Spurs for something around 70 MUSD.

Negotiation with Manu began the same way with Manu saying he is ready to play for another team, it's part of the negotiation process.

Fans are overreacting for nothing.

No reason to get mad at Tony. This is just business.

Thread Information