Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is to compare one of the Spurs' current needs that could be filled in the draft come 2010 draft day whether they would fall or not, or trade. I would also compare players who can play the 2 or 3 in the NBA, such as Evan Turner or James Anderson and also players who need to adjust to playing the 3 at the NBA level, like Damion James.

1. Evan Turner (Projected Top 2, Junior)
    2. Al-Farouq Aminu (Projected Top 5 to Top 10, Sop re)
    3. Wesley Johnson (Projected Top 10 to Late Lottery, Junior)
    4. Xavier Henry (Projected Late Lottery to Mid-First, Freshman)
    5. Damion James (Projected Mid-First to Early Twenties, Senior)
    6. James Anderson (Projected Mid-First to Early Twenties, Junior)
    7. Gordon Hayward (Projected Mid-First to Late First Rounder, Sop re)
    8. Stanley Robinson (Projected Mid-First to Late First Rounder, Senior)
    9. Paul George (Early Twenties to Late First Rounder, Sop re)
    10. Luke Babbitt (Late First to Early Second Rounder, Sop re)
    11. Quincy Pondexter (Late First to Early Second Rounder, Senior)
    12. Devin Ebanks (Late First to Mid Second Rounder, Sop re)
    13. Darington Hobson (Early Second Rounder to Late Second Rounder, Junior)
    14. Robin Benzing (Mid Second Rounder to Undrafted, International)
    15. Nemanja Bjelica (Late Second Rounder to Undrafted, International)
    16. Vladmir Dasic (Late Second Rounder to Undrafted, International)

I will add more as we go along if I forgot anyone. I do not advocate dreams of drafting Evan Turner. That is not the point of this thread. The point of this is to compare similar talent, age, upside, skills, among these players to determine the best available pick for the Spurs.

I will update more comparisons between different players as we go along with this thread.
    Last edited by Chieflion; 05-10-2010 at 04:32 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dasic has nothing to do on this list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stanley Robinson should be a #1 priority for the Spurs if available at #20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. DX's mock draft currently has us taking him, too. His listed strengths at DX include:

- Efficiency
    - Ability to contest shots
    - Lateral quickness
    - Man to man defense
    - Versatility to defend multiple positions

If there's any truth to that, I could easily see this guy wearing the silver and black next year. Well, that and the fact that he sucks at FT shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, you might know more about it, but the best player overseas yet to be drafted is some Serbian guy. Who am I thinking of?
    Jan Vesely?

He is Czech but is playing for a Serbian team. He is an awesome young player but he hasn't entered in this year draft.

bright future biziofromdowntown's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vesely is in Euroleague F4, he's playing for Partizan Beograd. I saw the semifinal against Olympiacos and he mad a great performance, but too young for the NBA, in a couple of years if he'll improve he should be ready for the next level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is to compare one of the Spurs' current needs that could be filled in the draft come 2010 draft day whether they would fall or not, or trade. I would also compare players who can play the 2 or 3 in the NBA, such as Evan Turner or James Anderson and also players who need to adjust to playing the 3 at the NBA level, like Damion James.

1. Evan Turner (Projected Top 2, Junior)
    2. Al-Farouq Aminu (Projected Top 5 to Top 10, Sop re)
    3. Wesley Johnson (Projected Top 10 to Late Lottery, Junior)
    4. Xavier Henry (Projected Late Lottery to Mid-First, Freshman)
    5. Damion James (Projected Mid-First to Early Twenties, Senior)
    6. Gordon Hayward (Projected Mid-First to Late First Rounder, Sop re)
    7. Stanley Robinson (Projected Mid-First to Late First Rounder, Senior)
    8. Paul George (Early Twenties to Late First Rounder, Sop re)
    9. Luke Babbitt (Late First to Early Second Rounder, Sop re)
    10. Quincy Pondexter (Late First to Early Second Rounder, Senior)
    11. Devin Ebanks (Late First to Mid Second Rounder, Sop re)
    12. Darington Hobson (Early Second Rounder to Late Second Rounder, Junior)
    13. Vladmir Dasic (Mis Second Rounder to Undrafted, International)

I will add more as we go along if I forgot anyone. I do not advocate dreams of drafting Evan Turner. That is not the point of this thread. The point of this is to compare similar talent, age, upside, skills, among these players to determine the best available pick for the Spurs.

I will update more comparisons between different players as we go along with this thread.
    You mentioned James Anderson but forgot to put him in your ranking. He's probably Late Lottery to Mid-First behind Henry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. DX's mock draft currently has us taking him, too. His listed strengths at DX include:

- Efficiency
    - Ability to contest shots
    - Lateral quickness
    - Man to man defense
    - Versatility to defend multiple positions

If there's any truth to that, I could easily see this guy wearing the silver and black next year. Well, that and the fact that he sucks at FT shooting.
    Robinson's biggest knock is that he doesn't have a high BBIQ. I'd hesitate to single out one guy for the Spurs to take, especially one that doesn't really have a good grasp of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the news.

If Spurs don't like collegiate players, I can see them trading their first round pick.

The international players pool is very weak this year. There is Lithuanian player Motiejunas but he should be gone before #20 if he stays in the draft. After him, the best ranked player is the french prospect Kevin Séraphin. His agent (the well known Bouna N'Diaye) projects him between #18 and #35 but I would be surprised to see Spurs taking him at #20.

I don't follow NCAA but when I read scouting reports, Paul George is first on my draft board among the realistic options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mentioned James Anderson but forgot to put him in your ranking. He's probably Late Lottery to Mid-First behind Henry.
    Thanks for the reminder, although I don't think James Anderson would go in the lottery, due to his weakness on defense and athletic ability. He would make a great role-playing shooter running through screens though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the reminder, although I don't think James Anderson would go in the lottery, due to his weakness on defense and athletic ability. He would make a great role-playing shooter running through screens though.
    He does have some limitations to be sure, but he's probably the best pure scorer in the draft and that will get him picked higher than he probably ought to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Anderson

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since there really isn't a specific thread for my question, I'll ask it in this one. Who is projected to be the better defender, Paul George or Quincy Pondexter? I don't get a chance to watch much west coast basketball, so I haven't seen Paul George in action at all and only a little bit of Quincy Pondexter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we can pretty safely say that Turner, Johnson and Aminu will be off the board well before the Spurs pick. But the rest is a pretty talented group of players, and though they each have their weaknesses, I think they can bring something the Spurs need.

The shooters/scorers are Henry, Anderson, Hayward, George and Babbitt. The slashers/defenders are James, Robinson and Pondexter. Most in this group are a known commodity, with the possible exception of George and Robinson, who offer some upside.

Here's my personal ranking of the players based on player talent/upside and the team needs...

1. George - good shooter, smooth player, considerable upside
    2. Pondexter - great motor, solid defender, aggressive
    3. Henry - great shooter, nice size
    4. Anderson - great scorer, good shooter
    5. Hayward - good shooter, nice size
    6. Babbitt - great scorer, nice size
    7. James - great motor, aggressive
    8. Robinson - great size and athleticism, defensive potential

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since there really isn't a specific thread for my question, I'll ask it in this one. Who is projected to be the better defender, Paul George or Quincy Pondexter? I don't get a chance to watch much west coast basketball, so I haven't seen Paul George in action at all and only a little bit of Quincy Pondexter.
    If Pondexter never really develops a solid perimeter game, he'll carve out a niche as a defender. He's that good.

George has nice length and athleticism, but he has to be considered a project in nearly every aspect of the game...including defense.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pondexter is the much better defender right now and likely will ever be. while most scouting reports credit the defensive potential George has, it's also doubted that he can ever develop enough strength to be a good defender on NBA level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update: Added Robin Benzing and Nemanja Bjelica.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Vesely is in Euroleague F4, he's playing for Partizan Beograd. I saw the semifinal against Olympiacos and he mad a great performance, but too young for the NBA, in a couple of years if he'll improve he should be ready for the next level.
    Really? I think Vesely is more than ready to play in the NBA and as a very solid contributor. Maybe with a bigger role in Partizan's offense next season he'll improve his draft position (especially if he shows the ability to create off the bounce, something he almost never did this season), but I can't see in which NBA team he'd fail to see minutes to the point of hindering his development. He was spectacular vs. Olympiacos - he ended the game completely gazed and struggled to deal with Vasilopoulos size but IMO he's already a better player than Childress.

I like Alimu at the 4. I don't think he's going to play on the wing in the NBA.

I dont' know George, but Pondexter is a very good defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. The Spurs don't seem to be too high on collegiate players in this draft, but they like a Serbian kid who is too young to be drafted. Maybe he plays in Serbia and I got confused. I asked about a few players such as Ekpe Udoh and Paul George. Spurs like George, but think he under-achieved last season. Also he shoots 90% from the free throw line making him less likely to be a Spur haha.
    Thanks for the news.

Although wouldn't be surprised if that changes after the NBA Draft Combine.

I highly doubt Spurs were excited to draft Hill after games against Oral Roberts, UMKC and North Dakota State.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    but they like a Serbian kid who is too young to be drafted

He'll only be draft eligible in 2012.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. The Spurs don't seem to be too high on collegiate players in this draft, but they like a Serbian kid who is too young to be drafted. Maybe he plays in Serbia and I got confused. I asked about a few players such as Ekpe Udoh and Paul George. Spurs like George, but think he under-achieved last season. Also he shoots 90% from the free throw line making him less likely to be a Spur haha.
    It's great to hear that they like Paul George. From what I've read about him, he's supposed to be a terrific perimeter shootero, with NBA 3-pt range, along with a high release point.

Could the fact that the Spurs believe he underachieved sour them on taking him?

What is their opinion on Ekpe Udoh?

By the way, you must have great sources. Appreciate the information.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs don't look the draft up and down since they have the 20th pick. They know about Udoh and like his ability, but it's like John Wall, sure you might like a player but what are the actual chances of him falling to you? Similar to DeJuan. As far as I know the Spurs didn't work him out 1 minute but he was a great college player so they took him ahead of players they liked such as Budinger and Green.
    How about George? Do you think they like him enough to seriously consider him, despite his alleged underachievement last year?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How is this guy too young...problem is hes signed overseas till 2013:

this guy is a highflyer good match up against a lamar odom...dont really know much about his shot though.
    Last edited by kromediablo; 05-11-2010 at 01:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, for the record it was Jan Vesely. I just forgot for a moment.
    Phila, What is your short list of spurs draft prospects? Anyone you would prefer the spurs take or wouldn't mind us trying to trade up and grab?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Paul George is for sure a good prospect to grab. I like Devin Ebanks as a back up plan because his game will convert very easily to the NBA. I live in Austin so I watch the Longhorns a good bit, and I want the Spurs to avoid both Bradly and James. Damion is more of an undersized power forward than a 3 and Bradly should have stayed in school. Not many realistic options for moving up and drafting. Aldrich is not too good based off the game I saw in person and the several I saw on TV.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that I don't really like the college players in the draft outside of the few there are. Udoh is good, but he will be a project the first couple years. I think Ebanks and Paul George are the most realistic NBA ready need filling players the Spurs can draft at 20.
    George is definitely up there on my list also. I also feel like James Anderson or Xavier Henry would be nice choices. All 3 of those guys can shoot the ball. I never got to see George play but I did see Anderson and Henry. (I go to A&M so i definitely agree with avoiding James and Bradley )

Don't know anything about Ebanks.

Udoh would be nice if he somehow fell, but I don't see that happening. I definitely would want to avoid Stanley Robinson or Pondexter although it seems a lot are high on those 2 around here. Overall it is a pretty weak draft IMO.

Thread Information