Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't be gettin anybody.. To be honest.. They'll probably be looking to invest in the future of this team and find younger guys to bring in rather than the vets they usually go for. It's almost common knowledge now that Duncan is likley going to end-up retiring without that fifth ring for his thumb.. So sad. Oh well it was a great decade to be a spurs fan..
    The Spurs have to sign a 13th man in the D-League, off waivers, FA market, due to league rules stating you need at least 13 players on the roster. They will probably just sign some scrub from the D-League.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised to see how few players have been waived. There isn't a single available player who could have some kind of impact. The best Spurs could do are players like Antonio Daniels, Larry Hughes, Kenny Thomas, Mikki Moore... It truly sucks.

Since Spurs can't get a player who will help them short term wise, they should focus on something more long term. They should go after a young player who has a shot to be part of the team for the next year.
    I also thought we will see many more buy outs. (Battie, Etan Thomas, Raja Bell)
    I agree that there are only few interesting options.

the logical choice for a young player would be Morris Almond. Spurs will be short of at least 2 of their shooters next season (Mason, Finley). Almond has a lot of flaws, but he also has the potential to once fill a role like Mason or Finley. (better size and athleticism than Mason, younger and quicker than Finley)

and (don't laugh) maybe they bring in Anthony Tolliver for another try? even if the Spurs think about re signing Bonner, it's not given that they in fact do. (maybe he doesn't want. I guess he still would love to go back to Toronto)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get on the phone with Don Nelson and get Raja Bell over here...

Just get it done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cant remember a time when there have been so many players wanted off the team..

I have been a spurs fan for over 10+ years and cannot remember a time like this, normally its the other way around players wanting to come here..

I guess losing can do that to yeah..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cant remember a time when there have been so many players wanted off the team..

I have been a spurs fan for over 10+ years and cannot remember a time like this, normally its the other way around players wanting to come here..

Because Finley, Mason and Haislip are such proven winners right ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also thought we will see many more buy outs. (Battie, Etan Thomas, Raja Bell)
    I agree that there are only few interesting options.

the logical choice for a young player would be Morris Almond. Spurs will be short of at least 2 of their shooters next season (Mason, Finley). Almond has a lot of flaws, but he also has the potential to once fill a role like Mason or Finley. (better size and athleticism than Mason, younger and quicker than Finley)

and (don't laugh) maybe they bring in Anthony Tolliver for another try? even if the Spurs think about re signing Bonner, it's not given that they in fact do. (maybe he doesn't want. I guess he still would love to go back to Toronto)
    Tolliver is under contract with Golden State. He isn't available.

I agree with you on Almond. He would be one of the best option available. A player I would also like Spurs to go after is Rashad McCants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a BIG man or a taller defender not a bunch of migit like the current squad.. not that i dont like them, or saying they suck..... ok well i am, but they need a big lineup and that is all it takes.... Small ball never wins championships.....I sure others can see this as a point of emphasis.. Wait they due there called the lakers Celtics, Nuggets, Orlando, Cleveland, Dallas, OkC... Atlanta HAWKS........ Get big i i'm sure well be back in the mix till then accept the headache..... and the continuous screaming at your TV, while puling out the little hair you have left "what the are you doing POP"... Why Bonner, he sucks....

Last night the guy shot about 10-12 times only making 3-4 shots..(not sure but it seemsed that way...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We just have been collecting a lot of dead weight. It wasn't as apparent when Tim, Tony and Manu were playing balls out, but now that we need to rely more on the role players, you see what's going on.

The fact that Pop is also keen to give good minutes and even starts to some of those guys compounds the problem. So at this point, the only way not to see them out there is to get them out of the team.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you on Almond. He would be one of the best option available. A player I would also like Spurs to go after is Rashad McCants.
    doesn't McCants exactly duplicate what we already have in Hill? (plus some at ude)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a BIG man or a taller defender not a bunch of migit like the current squad.. not that i dont like them, or saying they suck..... ok well i am, but they need a big lineup and that is all it takes.... Small ball never wins championships.....I sure others can see this as a point of emphasis.. Wait they due there called the lakers Celtics, Nuggets, Orlando, Cleveland, Dallas, OkC... Atlanta HAWKS........ Get big i i'm sure well be back in the mix till then accept the headache..... and the continuous screaming at your TV, while puling out the little hair you have left "what the are you doing POP"... Why Bonner, he sucks....

Last night the guy shot about 10-12 times only making 3-4 shots..(not sure but it seemsed that way...
    You never go full re , man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doesn't McCants exactly duplicate what we already have in Hill? (plus some at ude)
    I don't find it. McCants is significantly bigger and is more a shooter than Hill.

Almond has some edges on McCants: he is bigger and less red flags around him. McCants has for him that he has done way more at the NBA level and IMO is way more talented than Almond. If I were Spurs GM, I would go after McCants over Almond: higher risk but also higher reward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't find it. McCants is significantly bigger and is more a shooter than Hill.

Almond has some edges on McCants: he is bigger and less red flags around him. McCants has for him that he has done way more at the NBA level and IMO is way more talented than Almond. If I were Spurs GM, I would go after McCants over Almond: higher risk but also higher reward.
    Almond would probably be more willing to sign a contract with a team option for the minimum salary next season. McCants is more likely to prefer remaining a FA going into the summer.

Given that RJ and Hairston are the only two wings under team control for next season, a player who will accept a team option for next season offers advantages for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL.

You guys will stop at nothing to make sure poor Malik Hairston is completely squeezed out of the rotation, huh? Spurs just cleared up the problem of having too many wings splitting too few minutes, so the last thing the spurs need is immediately create the same problem by clogging up the wing rotation.

The spurs should be looking to get someone with some size that could help the spurs match up with Dallas/LA/Denver, esp with no more Ratliff and a shaky Dice.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lindsay Hunter anyone? Just waived by the Bulls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    waived too late, and he is going to stay with the Bulls as a Front Office type job

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Almonds 6'4.75" W/o Shoes 8'6" standing reach 215 lbs
    McCants 6'2.75" w/0 shoes 8'7.5" standing reach 200 lbs

McCants has a better rep defensively, but my problem with both is they are both SG's (ie small wings). I would really prefer a full SF; the only one on our roster who can really match up with a 6'7" to 6'9" SF is Richardson. I would look at more size on the wing...

Philippines vs. USA team in 2012 London Olympics Duncanoypi's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almonds 6'4.75" W/o Shoes 8'6" standing reach 215 lbs
    McCants 6'2.75" w/0 shoes 8'7.5" standing reach 200 lbs

McCants has a better rep defensively, but my problem with both is they are both SG's (ie small wings). I would really prefer a full SF; the only one on our roster who can really match up with a 6'7" to 6'9" SF is Richardson. I would look at more size on the wing...
    The one that missed an open dunk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would it be possible to extract Viktor Sanikidze from Italy? We could put him into the D-league to learn our system and see if he's a keeper in summer league. He's a small forward, and he's stated in an interview that it's his dream to play in the NBA.

Also, if he was here we might be able to monitor his weight training and get him to bulk up a bit (convince him its a necessity to realize his dream).
    Last edited by Thompson; 03-02-2010 at 07:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almond and McCants aren't players for this year but for the next one. For this year, it's sure that a long SF or a though vet PF/C could help more Spurs than a SG.

Plan A would have been to get a player who makes Spurs better for the playoffs. The problem is that I don't see a single player who can have some kind of impact for Spurs. If Pan A can't be fulfilled, Spurs should go with plan B that is to say going with a young player who could help Spurs next year.

I'm all for adding some size on the wing for the playoffs but I don't see who could fit that role. The best I can come with is Shawne Williams and he quite sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almond and McCants aren't players for this year but for the next one. For this year, it's sure that a long SF or a though vet PF/C could help more Spurs than a SG.

Plan A would have been to get a player who makes Spurs better for the playoffs. The problem is that I don't see a single player who can have some kind of impact for Spurs. If Pan A can't be fulfilled, Spurs should go with plan B that is to say going with a young player who could help Spurs next year.

I'm all for adding some size on the wing for the playoffs but I don't see who could fit that role. The best I can come with is Shawne Williams and he quite sucks.
    Certainly of the two, for next year, I'd look at McCants. He's got a tremendous physical profile; his wingspan and standing reach match up with the average small forward (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...vepos&year=All) quite well (to whom, I might add he gives up 4" in height). He had a great vertical jump and was very strong (15 reps at his combine), as well as doing well in the 3/4 court sprints and the agility test... And he can definitely shoot. All that would have to happen is a bunch of maturing. He takes lousy shots, thinking he can make them, he has too many TO's, and he gives effort on D only when matched up with someone good... He could be a SG version of Bowen, and more, if he had Bowen's brains, guts and integrity. Unfortunately, he's about 10% of Bowen in all of those.

Thread Information