Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    It is over 100 billion light years in diamater, the observable universe that is. And because of the fact it is expanding the actual size could be 10^23 times as large as the observable.
    Hmmm, not too sure about that.

From my understanding, the universe is 13.6 billion years old, which if the Big Bang is correct (doesnt mean it is), that would make the universe 27.2 billion light years in diameter (give or take a couple million light years due to expansion).

As for area, I am not too sure that science thinks the universe a sphere, but if it were it would be 10531.3758 billion cubic light years in volume.

I realize "cubic light years" is not a unit of measure, but no offense, I dont want to convert light years (time-distance) to kilometers (distance).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    since the hubble will be out of commission soon when the new telescope goes up...how about sending the hubble inside a blackhole.....
    The nearest blackhole is at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. Our solar system exists on the outer edges of our galaxy (which is why we get such cool pictures of outer space, whereas if we were in the interior of the galaxy, we wouldnt see outside the galaxy).

The Milky Way is ~100k light years across...seeing as we are on the outer edge...if Earth sent an object traveling at the speed of light, it would take 50 thousand years to reach the center, traveling in a straight line.

Now, seeing as we are nowhere near the speed of light and that you cannot travel in a straight line from Earth to the center of our galaxy (lots of in the way like stars, planets, meteors, gravitational fields, etc), realisitically, it would take a lot longer.

It seems the fastest man-made object ever was/is the Helios 2 solar probe, clocking in at a whopping 70,220 meters per second.

Seeing as the speed of light is 299,792,458 meters per second...

Its going to take our current fastest space craft roughly 4270x longer than an object traveling at the speed of light.

Soooo, about 213.5 million years...give or take. Yeah...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i folllowed a link,after reading this article, then another and finally found this page of what our mouth xrayed and talking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hmmm, not too sure about that.

From my understanding, the universe is 13.6 billion years old, which if the Big Bang is correct (doesnt mean it is), that would make the universe 27.2 billion light years in diameter (give or take a couple million light years due to expansion).

As for area, I am not too sure that science thinks the universe a sphere, but if it were it would be 10531.3758 billion cubic light years in volume.

I realize "cubic light years" is not a unit of measure, but no offense, I dont want to convert light years (time-distance) to kilometers (distance).
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5051818/

We're still playing with a lot of uncertainties here, but the article explains the expansionist idea decently well.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    It was only a matter of time until Mouse tried to turn this into another debate. He just cant ingore a thread that might threaten his beliefs in any way.

Mouse, post something new about religion, I can tell you I wont even give it a second look. why are you so threatened by something thats supposedly bunk according to your ideas?

If you dont like them, ignore them and we wont attack your fragile beliefs. Its that simple. It's like your looking for a fight.... Or your precieving these posts as an attack on your beliefs when all it really is, is just an interesting news article that we can discuss.

The only thing that was posted about religion in this thread was to pose a question... not to incite anger, but to help people question the fate of the universe. You go on believing what you will. It's clear I, or anyone else, are not going to change your mind.

Do us all a favor and avoid these threads from now on. It's not an "attack" on your faith. If you feel it is, take your religious beliefs to heart and.... Turn the other cheek.
    For those religious folks with a narrow mind regarding their faith (note: not all religious folks, even the vatican acknowledges that their is most likely life out there), I pose this question: If we are the only life in the universe, why would God make the universe so large?
    The question wasn't posited to incite anger? You outright called them narrow minded in your opening statment... Very disingenuous....

Look, I know where the majority of people stand on this subject... and most know where I stand. These articles are nothing more than mere speculation; with little to no hard science supporting the notion that intelligent life is the next "great find" when stating the fact that other 'earth-like' planets can form in the "hospitable zones" of other stars... that is one big-leap of... well... you all hate it when I say this.... faith.

Anyways, as for your question...

I actually believe that other intelligent life is out there... After all, isn't that what Judeo-Christianity has been saying all along? GOD is certainly intelligent. HE is a life-giving en y. HIS hosts of angels are intelligent as well... and they not only exist within our Universe; but have the capability of stepping out of it into a different dimensional plane of existence (a far more impressive feat)...

Can life like ours exist elsewhere? Intelligent life-forms from other planets..?? They don't even have to be carbon based... Certainly. I'm not one to exclude the possibility. Nevertheless if Earth, and ultimately man, was the crown of Creation shouldn't our place in the universe be given the awe and respect it deserves? Wouldn't the constant affirmation of our uniqueness be wholly embraced instead of scorned and evaded? The people that reject the notion that we are special, do so on account of the philosophical implications they keep running away from... even when the premise that we might be alone has yet to be disproven. So what is the next best thing? Convince everyone that we aren't alone simply by suggesting that our ability to detect other life-forms is all but improbable. Coy.

"We aren't alone, we just can't detect them... because the Universe is so vast!!" While that statement may make all the sense in the world. The conclusion drawn from it is still highly speculative... not based on hard science.

We ought to continue seeking out other intelligent life... I believe we're all curious... apparently though, our curiosity stems from divergent premises.

As for why the Universe is so big? It's about as massive a display of GOD's glory that humans are able to comprehend. Inmense power, grand scale size, supreme dominion over nature's processes, an awesome display of creativity... all for us to see. "The heavens declare the glory of GOD, the firmament showeth His handiwork"....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    @ Cry Havoc

Thank you, good sir. I hope that post didnt come across as "Youre wrong, Im right".

EDITED:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5051818/

We're still playing with a lot of uncertainties here, but the article explains the expansionist idea decently well.
    Jesus H Christ, its like that article was written directly to prove me completely wrong. Nice find! Also, my apologies to sook.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    It takes two people for a debate to exist and now Mouse shall be relentless in replying.
    Mouse,
    Do us all a favor and avoid these threads from now on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Duke Blue Devils
    then we have to factor in the odds it takes for life to come to be, for all we know that could be greater than the amount of planets in the universe. Think off all the correct turns life on this planet had to take to exist.
    that's why it didn't simply happen by coincidence. i'm a christian but i'm not naive enough to think that we are God's only creation. he may have other civilizations all over the universe. i bet if there are others, we are probably his biggest failure though.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It surprises me to see people looking for life in a binary star system, but maybe Alpha Centauri A and B are far enough apart that you could have roughly circular planetary orbits far enough away from the stars to support life while not so close to the other star as to form highly eccentric or even cloverleaf orbits. They look pretty far apart in this photo of the system, taken from near Saturn (with the rings visible in the foreground).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Thats a badass pic, BB.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Think how big the huge planets are. Well, you can't because it is not possible to comprehend, but try.

Think how big some of these aliens must be.

I hope the afterlife is a field trip through the universe

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    Thats a badass pic, BB.
    +1

I was about to post the same thing...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The nearest blackhole is at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. Our solar system exists on the outer edges of our galaxy (which is why we get such cool pictures of outer space, whereas if we were in the interior of the galaxy, we wouldnt see outside the galaxy).

The Milky Way is ~100k light years across...seeing as we are on the outer edge...if Earth sent an object traveling at the speed of light, it would take 50 thousand years to reach the center, traveling in a straight line.

Now, seeing as we are nowhere near the speed of light and that you cannot travel in a straight line from Earth to the center of our galaxy (lots of in the way like stars, planets, meteors, gravitational fields, etc), realisitically, it would take a lot longer.

It seems the fastest man-made object ever was/is the Helios 2 solar probe, clocking in at a whopping 70,220 meters per second.

Seeing as the speed of light is 299,792,458 meters per second...

Its going to take our current fastest space craft roughly 4270x longer than an object traveling at the speed of light.

Soooo, about 213.5 million years...give or take. Yeah...
    is that closest black hole to our planet? i thought there is alot of blackholes out there....

another article about some happening last night in norway skies
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/981...affles-experts

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are you saying only certain posters can reply to certain topics? I would like to know if the rules around here have changed.
    Your actually telling someone in America on a public forum to avoid certain topics?
    Am I on the Phyzik can't post in this topic list also?

who has a link to the list?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Mouse don't let this Phyzik guy boss you around! I like reading all views on subjects. I am not sure if he is a moderator but I can say guys like him make the Club not worth visiting anymore. please keep posting

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    is that closest black hole to our planet? i thought there is alot of blackholes out there....

another article about some happening last night in norway skies
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/981...affles-experts
    It looks like someone from the future figured out time travel... (they're probably here to play a part in the Copenhagen Summit... )

It does seem as though they left a residual black hole... or maybe a worm-hole opening...

Awesome... wish I could have seen that in person...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    mouse don't let this phyzik guy boss you around! I like reading all views on subjects. I am not sure if he is a moderator but i can say guys like him make the club not worth visiting anymore. Please keep posting
    +1

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    a worm hole....does it even exist in space? have they even found one or just pulling out of there asses....

i see they have been watchin too much SLIDERS....lol i enjoyed that show...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    a worm hole....does it even exist in space? have they even found one or just pulling out of there asses....
    If your going to start a debate will you please not post in these type of topics anymore!
    Thank you

Sincerely: Phyzix

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    ...alright, thats funnny, I admit...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    But where did Alpha C. A&B go?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Well, there are theoretically more blackholes out there, that blackholes may even be very small, even microscopic.

But thats weak theory at best. Strong theory to almost the point of law is that every galaxy coalesces only because a super-gravitational en y exists at the center of these giant conglomerations. In words, super-massive blackholes.

Galaxies are just a series of objects that have formed orbit around these behemoths. That the black hole:galaxy relationship is a self-perpetuating garbage disposal, moving through a perpetual series of matter intake, combustion of matter, exhaust/conversion of matter, only to be re-collected via gravity, and the process repeats for almost ever...at least in scale terms (billions if not trillions of years, for all intents and purposes, thats forever..eternity).

So, I will not make a declarative statement as to the closest blackhole. But I will say with untrained confidence that the surest bet of a blackhole's location lies at the center of super-massive globs of matter, like galaxies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    @ Cry Havoc

Thank you, good sir. I hope that post didnt come across as "Youre wrong, Im right".

EDITED:

Jesus H Christ, its like that article was written directly to prove me completely wrong. Nice find! Also, my apologies to sook.

Not at all, DR. It just happens that Astronomy is one of my stronger topics, so I typically stay up on the more relevant breakthroughs. Your logic was sound, it's just that the science behind all of this is pretty crazy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The real kicker is whether we me other's definition of intelligent life. If they read Mouse's posts I am not so sure...

Thread Information