Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure I want to go too far with it either but it just occurred to me.

Basically Blair in NCAA was like Scola in Euroleague. Undersized, below-the-rim PF. Solid post presence on offense with an array of up and under moves, tip-ins, showing success against non-NBA defenders. Good rebounder (but will it translate to the NBA)? In Scola's case, pretty much his whole game has translated well to what the Rockets are doing.

So just going by rep alone, I could see some similarities in their pre-NBA games. We shall see if Blair can show some of the qualities of experience and poise that Scola has gained by playing pro for several years already.

If you wanted to go a step further (which I won't ) you could say that we wouldn't have needed to draft Blair at all this year if we had gotten Scola years ago.

Scola's not particularly undersized for a PF.

Scola is like 30 this year. Scola was nowhere near an NBA level player at the age Blair is now IMHO.

There's really no comparison between Blair and Scola as far as NBA level players and the comparison you make completely ignores the age difference between the two and the late age at which Scola was deemed NBA ready.

Scola was like 28 when the Spurs dealt him, and that's something people completely ignore when discussing the Spurs dealing him and there's no doubt it was part of the reason they considered him expendable. Yeah he was was probably an NBA capable player before they dealt him but it wasn't like he screaming lottery pick at the age of 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be a looong season of "Scola vs Blair" Posting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to think ROY isn't out of the realm of possibility for Mr. Blair. This kid might be the first second rounder to contend for and possibly win the ROY. How f'ing sweet would that be?
    No way...Ian is still eligible since he was hurt last year. He'll be our dominant rookie...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not going to be much of a comparison at all. Scola's already 30 which is the downside of the hill and the law of averages says he's either right at the end of his best days or they are already behind him....

It was definitely part of the reason the Spurs considered him tradeable with Splitter and Ian in the wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not going to be much of a comparison at all. Scola's already 30 which is the downside of the hill and the law of averages says he's either right at the end of his best days or they are already behind him....

It was definitely part of the reason the Spurs considered him tradeable with Splitter and Ian in the wings.
    I don't see Splitter in a Spurs uniform.

As for Mahinmi, I have to admit that I am impressed by the fact that he has played 3 -preseason but still- games without getting hurt. That's nearly half of the games he totalled with the Spurs in the previous "seasons".
    If he goes on like this, by the end of the year he might get the same mileage Scola gets in a month.
    Pretty darn good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hasn't you dumb

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair > Scola

Blair is the steal of the draft.

Thread Information