Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Blair getting the minutes or marketing-push -- this is the Spurs we're talking about -- to be a real serious threat to win ROY, but I guess it's not out of the realm if he can put up Horford-type numbers on a winner.

If Griffin's Clippers are getting their head's beat in on a pretty regular basis and his numbers aren't ungodly.. I guess it wouldn't be crazy to think DeJuan might have a shot.

I really couidn't care less about the award, TBQH.

I'm just ecstatic the kid's a Spur and I'm having a hard time knocking the smile off my face every time I read an article like this or see stats like timvp just threw out.
    agree. and there is another point: let's pray Blair doesn't become a ROY candidate. because this would mean that:
    a- Spurs have to deal with a lot of injuries in the front court or
    b- all other bigs (especially Dice) are underachieving.
    neither a or b will be good news for the Spurs major goals. and I don't see a ROY award as a major goal.

but what might be somehow realistic is that Blair plays enough minutes (20MPG) and produces good numbers, so he's invited to the rookie team on all star weekend.
    (and/or rookie first team 2009-10) there won't be many other more impressive rookie big man outside Griffin, so this chance look realistic.
    all star weekend would be a pretty good feeling for 2nd round pick Blair I guess.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intellect, ACLs, size, shot blocking.
    I seriously dont get where you got the idea in your head that Blair is not smart.

He was a finalist for the John R. Wooden award, meaning he had to maintain a GPA better than 2.0 while playing basketball. That's not exactly an easy thing to do. For all we know he could have had a 4.0 GPA but it was definitely better than 2.0. You dont get nominated for that award without at least a 2.0. I would go further to say you probably dont make it as a finalist with less than a 3.0 Im guessing.

quit with the bull already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If your a center or a PF you cant get by on 5 rbds if your playing half the game. So although Bonner is a sharp-shooter he is playing the C/PF position and has to get rebounds. I still wouldn't understand why Pop would roll with him as a starter if you have Dice and then Blair/Ratliff on your bench.
    Why is this even a discussion? No way Bonner starts. Dice starts, period. Pop wants to go back to being a defensive team and controlling the boards. That practically spells "Bonner, sit down".

I think Blair will get his minutes, for a specific role. If Dice gets injured, I think Ratliff starts and Blair's minutes would increase.

Either way, Pop also wants to keep Dice and Ratliff fresh for the playoffs, that means let the young guy play.

Bonner's role will change this year, relied on less to do the things he can't and just focus on shooting. He was brought in to come off the bench and stretch the floor with open looks, not start at center. The additions of Dice, Blair and Ratliff allow Bonner to look good by letting Pop use him the right way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, Bonner's days are numbered. Pop may be giving Bonner a last chance to prove that he deserves to where a spurs Jersey. Pop Is giving everyone a chance to show what they can do. Theirs no way that Blair drops to 5 big in the rotation. Bonner is here cause he can shoot the 3. Last year we needed all the help we could get in the scoring department cause of Tim's bad knee and Manu being out. With Parker being the main creator, all we had left were guys that could shoot open jumpers/3's. So Pop put in three 3pt shooters next to tim and tony to get more scoring opportunuties ( Mason Jr./Finley/Bonner). We have guys that can create their own shot now. RJ can slash/post and shoot the 3, Mcdyess can Shoot/post. Now the important aspect to focus on is Defense, Primarily Rebounding and Shot-blocking. Bonner averaged 4.8 rbds in 23minutes a game last season and I'm not even going to talk about his shotblocking numbers. Ratliff is a legit shotblocker and both Blair ad Ratliff are solid rebounders. With the offense taken care of; since we have a healthy Big 3 along with RJ/DICE and Mason jrs sharp shooting we dont need a big that can shoot 3's. Blair will take a chunk of Bonner's minutes since bonner can't rebound to save his life. I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). Especially because Bonner averaged only a little over 4 rbds a game. Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds. Blair and Ratliff were tied with team high 4 rbds so Blair didn't do atrocious on the boards. All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go. If Pop is playing him to shop him, thats fine (only for a month though ). If he is playing him because of last season's production, then thats nonsense. With the addition of Dice and RJ were not suppose to be running 1-4 sets that much anymore. Which would make bonner pretty much useless in our system, especially since less plays are going to be called and their is supposed to be a motion offense in place now.
    As to the substance or lack thereof:

bonner can't rebound to save his life
    Ratliff is a solid rebounder

Do you even bother to check the actual numbers?

Last year Bonner averaged 7.2 rebounds per 36min. Ratliff averaged 8.0 per 36 min. Bonner actually had a better defensive rebounding rate. All of Ratliff's advantage came in the offensive rebounding numbers. Not surprising, since Ratliff is 20 ft closer to the basket on offense. While Ratliff has been a great shotblocker during his career, his rebounding has been average to below average.

Career Rebounds per 36min
    Ratliff: 8.1
    Bonner: 7.0

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "GPA better than 2.0"

out of 4.0? in HS, that was a F- grade of 50%.

I don't care how smart or stupid he is off-court (just don't go SJax/MVick on us), only about his BBIQ.
    He actually seems to enjoying playing, as opposed to working.
    How long will his self-honeymoon last?
    When will it become work-a-day drudgery?

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "GPA better than 2.0"

out of 4.0? in HS, that was a F- grade of 50%.

I don't care how smart or stupid he is off-court (just don't go SJax/MVick on us), only about his BBIQ.
    He actually seems to enjoying playing, as opposed to working.
    How long will his self-honeymoon last?
    When will it become work-a-day drudgery?
    Wrong.

A GPA of 1.5-2.49 is considered a C
    A GPA of 2.5-3.49 is considered a B
    A GPA of 3.5 or better is considered an A

None of us know what his actual GPA was, but to at least be considered for that award it HAD to at least be higher than a 2.0 and I dont care what his grade was either, I just think Spurstrodamus is an asshat for calling DeJuan unintelligent and actually insinuating that that was one of the reasons no other team drafted him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I love Blair, but a 2.0-ish GPA isn't that hard to maintain. It's not like he split the atom.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I love Blair, but a 2.0-ish GPA isn't that hard to maintain. It's not like he split the atom.
    And its not like a 2.0 is dumbass material either. No one even said his GPA was 2.0, I said it had to be HIGHER than that.

Forget the grade thing people, I was just using it to illustrate another point entirely.

Spurstrodamus is an asshat and Dejuan isnt stupid. Thats all I was getting at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13982

that was a nice article on blair and i also love the piece on artest (the guy wants to box his first professional fight in 4 years). artest is a nut job.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, Bonner's days are numbered. Pop may be giving Bonner a last chance to prove that he deserves to where a spurs Jersey. Pop Is giving everyone a chance to show what they can do. Theirs no way that Blair drops to 5 big in the rotation. Bonner is here cause he can shoot the 3. Last year we needed all the help we could get in the scoring department cause of Tim's bad knee and Manu being out. With Parker being the main creator, all we had left were guys that could shoot open jumpers/3's. So Pop put in three 3pt shooters next to tim and tony to get more scoring opportunuties ( Mason Jr./Finley/Bonner). We have guys that can create their own shot now. RJ can slash/post and shoot the 3, Mcdyess can Shoot/post. Now the important aspect to focus on is Defense, Primarily Rebounding and Shot-blocking. Bonner averaged 4.8 rbds in 23minutes a game last season and I'm not even going to talk about his shotblocking numbers. Ratliff is a legit shotblocker and both Blair ad Ratliff are solid rebounders. With the offense taken care of; since we have a healthy Big 3 along with RJ/DICE and Mason jrs sharp shooting we dont need a big that can shoot 3's. Blair will take a chunk of Bonner's minutes since bonner can't rebound to save his life. I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). Especially because Bonner averaged only a little over 4 rbds a game. Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds. Blair and Ratliff were tied with team high 4 rbds so Blair didn't do atrocious on the boards. All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go. If Pop is playing him to shop him, thats fine (only for a month though ). If he is playing him because of last season's production, then thats nonsense. With the addition of Dice and RJ were not suppose to be running 1-4 sets that much anymore. Which would make bonner pretty much useless in our system, especially since less plays are going to be called and their is supposed to be a motion offense in place now.
    I'm not reading this...and most other people won't either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for my own edification, where did the "Blair is dumb" thing come from? If anything, many camp/preseason reports indicate that he is a quick learner. Did he say something, were his grades circulated, or what? If so, please substantiate your claims.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seriously dont get where you got the idea in your head that Blair is not smart.

He was a finalist for the John R. Wooden award, meaning he had to maintain a GPA better than 2.0 while playing basketball. That's not exactly an easy thing to do. For all we know he could have had a 4.0 GPA but it was definitely better than 2.0. You dont get nominated for that award without at least a 2.0. I would go further to say you probably dont make it as a finalist with less than a 3.0 Im guessing.

For informational purposes....
    He is Spur Supremacist reincarnated. It is no coincidence that he is in love with Bonner and he has plenty of negative things to say about Jefferson and Blair.
    It's more about Blair being black. He'll probably get banned again soon for the same reasons...so I wouldn't bother responding to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know its the preseason, bla, bla, bla

but Blair is 12th in the league in preseason points per game (qualifed)

EDIT: And 4th in PPG per 48 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to think ROY isn't out of the realm of possibility for Mr. Blair. This kid might be the first second rounder to contend for and possibly win the ROY. How f'ing sweet would that be?
    Unfortunately he won't get the minutes needed to have the stats......oh wait a minute, he only needs 15-20 minutes a game to put up 15 and 10 apparently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sooooo.......everybody qualifies? 2.0 is minimum passing...... ie getting all "C"s in your classes. I certainly hope that was a typo on your part.

I'm thinking you meant 3.0? With finalists closer to 3.3 perhaps?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, you can quote all of the stats that you want, but just like Bruce Bowen, it's always the intangibles that count. You can't always quantify his suckiness. Yes, sometimes Bonner had monster games where he scored like the ens. Who cares? The "let's outscore them without playing defense" experiment has failed. Bonner was a part of that.

Also, this is a forum. People sign up here and can have their voices heard. Gas station cashiers, sports writers, Hooter's girls, bank tellers all have the same amount of power on these boards. If you're really concerned about people "who don't know about NBA basketball", then why are you on a forum where fans talk? Just go and read articles written by "professionals". It's very simple, and less stress for you.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a about GPA. The man is saving the world one rebound at a time.

AND he donated both of his ACL's to Uganda.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Colin Powell had a 2.0 GPA but it was later found he had a crazy high IQ (I forget the number and Im too lazy to look).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a about GPA. The man is saving the world one rebound at a time.

AND he donated both of his ACL's to Uganda.
    I'm telling, that sig is effin awesome. That's it, I'm calling him Captain America.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^haha thanks, I'm going to do a better job photoshopping it soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's probably because IQ has little to do with school work and more to do with actual intelligence.
    So, you're basically saying you needn't be articulate or the owner of a stellar GPA to be intelligent...

One would wonder why the same, logical, standard wouldn't remain true for an NBA player when assessing how intelligent they are, -- in the only reason it matters -- in regards to the game of basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just looking at the line, this guy had a very Scola-ish game...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair and Bonner have completely different games..they aren't going to be in compe ion with each other, it's going to depend on the matchups..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm withholding my opinion on Blair until I see what Sequ has to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just going to assume he is an idiot.
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing reading your posts.

Thread Information